Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 17:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikxsans660 View Post
I agree!! Vento TDI is a hit. Also latest sales report state Ventos selling above Citys this month. Whats not to like in the VW. But again to each his own. Guess have to research a lot before taking the plunge.

All the best.
What is not to like in the Vento:
For a tall person
- Ingress and Egress
- Space in front.
- Headroom at the back. A 6' tall person can't even sit straight! The heat touches the ceiling. Presume even ones who are 5'9"-5'10" would also have to be worried about the next bump.
- Cabin doesn't really feel as modern as some of the competition.
Old 8th April 2011, 21:02   #32
dot
Senior - BHPian

@epic, hope it is not late to join the discussion.

Based on choices that you have articulated and 100Kms of daily driving that you do, I think a diesel sedan is an automatic choice. Even if diesel subsidy is removed (unlikely), a diesel car is more efficient than a petrol. What are your timelines? If the need is immediate then choice is Vento Diesel. If you can wait, one can think of checking out the new Fiesta and Verna. Noted that you have left out the entry level sedan names.
Old 8th April 2011, 22:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi all,

My choices are - Ford Fiesta, Maruti Suzuki SX4, Skoda Octavia, VW Vento, & Hyundai Verna.
New Fiesta 1.6 petrol - Cant go wrong with it. It is expected to have flawless handling and even better engine (VVT). Which means you can get better bottom end / top end depending on the state of tune. Go for it.

SX4 - The ride and handling is nowhere in the league of other sedans. The engine is no USP either. The body shape and built quality leaves a lot to be desired. Avoid at all costs.

Skoda octavia? - Are you planning for preowned as well?

Vento - The diesel is an interesting proposition. Awesome performance, slick gearshift and descent ride and handling. Pretty spacious as well.

Verna - You might not like the speculated soft suspension of Verna. The engines look good on paper. I suggest you wait for the launch.

I am surprised you have not included T-Jet and ANHC. I understand you are worried about Fiat A.S.S but the ANHC is a good allrounder + the best (N.A) petrol mill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbrahw View Post
My suggestion, the new Swift diesel... pray they launch the Zdi version ...
Happy Driving !!!
Yes the Zdi is coming this time.
Old 11th April 2011, 09:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
What is not to like in the Vento:
For a tall person
- Ingress and Egress
- Space in front.
- Headroom at the back. A 6' tall person can't even sit straight! The heat touches the ceiling. Presume even ones who are 5'9"-5'10" would also have to be worried about the next bump.
- Cabin doesn't really feel as modern as some of the competition.
Ok this is interesting. I am 5'10" and my girlfriend 5'9'" so this could be a problem. Of course I am the one driving mostly and she will be seated at the back only when my parent are in the car (my Dad likes to sit in front).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@epic, hope it is not late to join the discussion.

Based on choices that you have articulated and 100Kms of daily driving that you do, I think a diesel sedan is an automatic choice. Even if diesel subsidy is removed (unlikely), a diesel car is more efficient than a petrol. What are your timelines? If the need is immediate then choice is Vento Diesel. If you can wait, one can think of checking out the new Fiesta and Verna. Noted that you have left out the entry level sedan names.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
New Fiesta 1.6 petrol - Cant go wrong with it. It is expected to have flawless handling and even better engine (VVT). Which means you can get better bottom end / top end depending on the state of tune. Go for it.

SX4 - The ride and handling is nowhere in the league of other sedans. The engine is no USP either. The body shape and built quality leaves a lot to be desired. Avoid at all costs.

Skoda octavia? - Are you planning for preowned as well?

Vento - The diesel is an interesting proposition. Awesome performance, slick gearshift and descent ride and handling. Pretty spacious as well.

Verna - You might not like the speculated soft suspension of Verna. The engines look good on paper. I suggest you wait for the launch.

I am surprised you have not included T-Jet and ANHC. I understand you are worried about Fiat A.S.S but the ANHC is a good allrounder + the best (N.A) petrol mill.

Yes the Zdi is coming this time.
SX4, Linea, Skoda & ANHC are out of my list already. This only leaves us with the new Fiesta, Verna and the most favorite Vento. I even have my eyes on the Polo 1.6

What will really be new in the 2011 Swift to be launched soon other than the new shape? Will there be any change in the engine, suspension, etc? This car is also one of the contenders as at the end of the day it is a Maruti.
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes but the SX4 will be a very common on road and so will the Vento. I will need to wait to see which new models will be available by then and also if they would fit in my budget and then decide.
At least it would look a lot better and complete and also A.S.S would be better. You can wait all you want, but there is nothing in the horizon as of now in this class.
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I guess as of now the choices are as mentioned below unless something better come up by the end of the year.

1. VW polo 1.6 OR VW Vento
2. Maruti Suzuki SX4 Petrol/Diesel
3. Ford Fiesta
4. 2011 Swift

The new Verna would be on my list, but looking at it, I am sure it will be more than 10L on road. I hope the new Fiesta isn't the same case.
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:17   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi guys,

I guess as of now the choices are as mentioned below unless something better come up by the end of the year.

1. VW polo 1.6 OR VW Vento
2. Maruti Suzuki SX4 Petrol/Diesel
3. Ford Fiesta
4. 2011 Swift

The new Verna would be on my list, but looking at it, I am sure it will be more than 10L on road. I hope the new Fiesta isn't the same case.
My 2 cents will be on the Fiesta and the Vento.
I saw the new Swift here in Singapore, and it looked strikingly similar to the existing model, which is not a bad thing
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am so used to the flawless after sales of Maruti Suzuki that I don't want to experience anything less!
Unfortunately everything else is a compromise compared to Maruti. Unless you are ready to compromise you have to stay with Maruti and SX4 Diesel.

Find an used L&K Laura at around 12-14L. I saw a L&K that has run 12K in 4 years for sale @12L. I would have picked this over my new Jetta if given that choice last december
Old 16th May 2011, 12:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

Diesel-10L budget

My requirements

1. I intend to go for frequent long drives. Hence the car should be equipped with safety features & Reliable. Safety is my top priority

2. I might clock minimum of 25k per annum & intend to keep it for 5-6 yrs......should last long for 1-1.5 kms both engine and body

3. Iam not a fast techie driver, but would love to cruise at 120-130 KMPH on empty empty roads esp during my long drives. Also I might spend long hours on driving seat, hence Speed manners at the mentioned speeds & comfort for long drives are important.

4. This will equal my highest loan sourced outside. Hence should not give much trouble on maintenance part i.e should not cost me a bomb every time it visits the service center..Not that I do not want to spend, but should be reasonable. Somewhere in our forum, I read Cedia bumper costs Rs.25k :( not that kind of running/repair costs

Choice of cars

I test drove both Verna SX and Vento HL..Its a very small drive within city.

Verna
Likes - Delivery in 3 weeks, Wide service network
Dislike- Rear seat/space

Vento
Likes - Looks of the car, Felt it sturdy & steering not too light
Dislike - Delivery time frames, Running costs???

Any inputs?
Old 16th May 2011, 12:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

SX4 Diesel sounds like the car you want. Reliable, quite comfy, good GC for those long drives and Maruti A.S.S.

Not sure about ownership costs but if you read a few of the SX4 ownership logs you'll get a good picture. Should be reasonable.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:35   #41
BHPian

Re: Diesel-10L budget

Any reason for not considering the Sx4 diesel ?

Pros:
Good diesel engine
Maruti A.S.S
Top-end costs about 10L with all the necessary saftey kit. (ABS, Airbags.,)

Cons:
1.3L engine
Niggles

However, with 1.3 diesel motor, you get a very good mileage and since you are not a fast driver, i think this should suffice your requirements.

You can also consider Fiesta Classic, New Fiesta and Linea.

All the above said are reasonably well built and offer decent safety and fall within 10L category. Tough not sure about New Fiesta.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Another con I can think of for the SX4 diesel is comparatively outdated looks.

I would recommend the Linea > Vento > Fiesta.
A dark horse would be the Manza Elan. For a couple of my friends it has been (touchwood!) niggle free. Though I am not sure how this fits in your requirements; please do have a TD.

if you dont really need a sedan, why dont you consider the Punto? this will of course depend on the number of passengers who would usually travel with you.

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th May 2011 at 12:54.
Old 16th May 2011, 13:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speed manners at the mentioned speeds & comfort for long drives are important.
I felt Vento does better in this department compared to Verna or the SX4.

After Vento it was fiesta that i felt had the best speed manners.

The new Verna Top end comes with all the safety and "other" features at around 11.5-12L on road.

You can even wait for the new Fiesta and Fiesta(old) was a great machine to drive (long) and to me a perfect drivers car.
Old 16th May 2011, 13:32   #44
BHPian

Same dilemma here, my requirement was

- Good GC
- ABS /EBD
- Iam a slow driver but occasionally need some punch , guess this requires a better bhp vehicle .I occasionally take to 120-130 Km/Hr at the max and required good control /drivability at that speed.
- Mileage
- Good AC - which means fast cooling
- After sales service / maintenance and trouble free

I have shortlisted Sx4 zdi /verna 1.6 CRDI Sx / Scorpio SLE

Iam still waiting for the fiesta diesel launch before going ahead in taking a decision.
Old 16th May 2011, 13:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Even I would have suggested the SX4 diesel, only that the back seat is too uncomfortable on long drives (IMO). That apart, it is a stable car to own. Fun to drive and legendry Maruti A.S.S.

If not the SX4, then your choices would pretty much sum up the shortlisted options. Dont know about the new Verna, but looks to be a killer. Hyundai A.S.S is also pretty much satisfactory.
With the Vento, you cant go wrong. Lovely car to drive, excellent comfort and German engineering! A.S.S may be on the higher side though.

If a new car is not necessarily your requirement, then you could also look at the pre-owned segment. You would get a lot of options in the sub 10L budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks