Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 11:24   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Yes, I did forget about the Swift rattles and clutch issues, which also sort of tilted my decision towards the Jazz.
Old 26th October 2011, 15:02   #122
Senior - BHPian

Saw the ad for the Fiesta Classic at 5.50 lakhs and jumped to check it out. However, that was the ex-showroom Delhi price. The one in Mumbai is like a lakh more which means on road it would be a good 7+ lakhs. I was a little hesitant at first because of its age in looks but when I compared the features of the Fiesta Classic to that of the Jazz, it was the Jazz that scored in that department for the price of 7 lakhs.

Back to square one!!
Old 2nd November 2011, 07:27   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
...The good news is that I have narrowed down to 03 cars in that order:

1. New Honda Jazz
2. New Maruti Suzuki Swift
3. VW Polo 1.6

But here is the confusion:

1. Honda Jazz - I am all out for the Jazz but I have neither seen nor test driven the new car. The sales guys say, its the same engine and suspension and only cosmetic changes are there and ofcourse the price drop. But the waiting period is a whooping 04-06 months!!! Is it worth the wait? Besides, will the Jazz be as enthusiastic to drive as the Swift? It is definitely more spacious than the other two options.

2. Swift - As I currently own a Swift myself the only thing that pisses me off about the car are the rattles and the fact that it is prone to corrosion. For me, this is a major issue as I live bang opposite the sea. Not sure if the quality of the metal has been improved to handle this. I have been told by many experts that the quality of Maruti has improved to even better than Honda and Honda is selling more on its brand. Honda cars are equally prone to corrosion. Not sure how much of this is true but I don't want to go through the corrosion issue again. Also, the rear, specifically the windows and boot have become smaller than the previous model. Also as per GTO's review, the car is not as aggressive as the previous model.

3. VW Polo 1.6 - This sort of fits pretty good specifically because of the 06 year anti corrosion warranty. But I am worried about the cost of maintaniance. Again, I have been told that the cost of maintainance is almost equal to that of higend cars like Mercs. Again, don't know how much of this is true but I wouldn't want this.
The VW Polo would be my reco., it has very good initial quality and as you point out comes with anti-corrosion warranty. However the Jazz might suit you more as its interiors are very versatile in terms of space configuration and good city FE. Go for the Polo if you cannot wait and do not mind the less spacious rear seats vis-a-vis Jazz.

Quote:
Saw the ad for the Fiesta Classic at 5.50 lakhs and jumped to check it out. However, that was the ex-showroom Delhi price. The one in Mumbai is like a lakh more which means on road it would be a good 7+ lakhs. I was a little hesitant at first because of its age in looks but when I compared the features of the Fiesta Classic to that of the Jazz, it was the Jazz that scored in that department for the price of 7 lakhs.

Back to square one!!
Have you considered pre-owned Fiesta Classics - you could get SXi trim within your budget? Ford is in "harvesting" mode (i.e. getting as much as they can out of Fiesta Classics as they figure only those who really want the Classic will purchase it given the availability of an upgraded model).
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:48   #124
Senior - BHPian

With another Petrol Hike in offing, it is high time even low mileage users though of Diesel option.

Please review your option and enhance you budget to accommodate a Diesel Swift or a Diesel Polo. With Polo coming with discounts and schemes, it is the best buy, especially as a Swift will take 4-8 months to deliver.
Old 8th November 2011, 18:21   #125
Senior - BHPian

Have test driven the new Swift, VW Polo 1.6 and the Toyota Etios Liva. Checked out the Jazz (older version) but never got a chance to test drive it.

- The Jazz definitely won our votes considering the features, space and price for 7.14L on road
- The Polo 1.6 was just not woth the price for 7.35L on road with out audio contrls on the steering wheel and not console on the driver's side to operate all for power windows which was weird and daylight robbery. The car felt very heavy too.
- The Swift was the best in terms of drivability and I had a blast driving it. It offered the best VFM for what it offered in addtition to being a fun car.
- The Etios Liva was the worst out of the lot with zero driving pleasure and lacking pickup. Its a disgrace from Toyota

Now I will also consider the Hyundai i20.
Old 8th November 2011, 18:32   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

If the Jazz was readily available or even had a 1-month waiting period, it would have been my sole recommendation.

As it is, the next best option would be the new Swift with a (comparatively) smaller boot, in terms of driveability.

Also, if you don't have many issues with Fiat's A.S.S. in your area, I can happily recommend the Punto as well. Do check it out. In terms of riding comfort, handling and features on offer, I feel its a much better VFM option than the Polo right now.
Old 8th November 2011, 18:40   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
If the Jazz was readily available or even had a 1-month waiting period, it would have been my sole recommendation.

As it is, the next best option would be the new Swift with a (comparatively) smaller boot, in terms of driveability.
But the New swift has a 1 year waiting period mate! So if one cannot for the Jazz then no point considering the new Swift either.

I think the best upgrade from Swift is the I20 or Jazz.
Old 8th November 2011, 18:50   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But the New swift has a 1 year waiting period mate! So if one cannot for the Jazz then no point considering the new Swift either.

Very true, Doc. The OP said they TDed the new Swift in their post above so I assumed they might have easier access to it than a long waiting period, if they do then it makes sense to go for one. If not, there are other options (if the Jazz and the Swift go out of the equation).

I would recommend the Punto over the i20 just for the riding comfort and the superb handling it offers. Fiat's A.S.S. is pretty notorious though, so the choice could be tough. Hyundai's A.S.S. is comparatively much better, but like sid indicated in his thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sed-again.html) the servicing of a Hyundai car could get really costly in the future.

All the best choosing, Epic!
Old 8th November 2011, 19:55   #129
Senior - BHPian

The best diesel hatch in today's market is the Swift diesel. It has all the necessary requirements. Its got good power. Its got good handling. Its interiors look fresh. Even the space is OK.
The next compromise is Figo. It has got everything Swift has except power. But then it is priced lower as well.

Now in petrol,
Jazz is the best choice.
Then comes Swift.
And finally I10.
Old 8th November 2011, 20:49   #130
BHPian

Hi,

Firstly, none of us are able to get an answer from you as to why you want to stick to a petrol when you'll do about 100km a day, and diesel is the need of the hour, diesel is more fun to drive and it is easy on your pocket too.

secondly, the fears that you are having in terms of Fiesta classic will phase out is all false. If Ford would have any such plans they would not rebadge the car as Classic and reduce the prices. If Fiesta classic goes, ford has no product between figo and new fiesta, which ford will not do unless they get some tips from honda with regards to how to loose market share.

You need good handling.
Your option are PUNTO, POLO, NEW SWIFT.

You should go ahead with Fiesta Classic, its a very simple elegant looking car, even after 7 years from now it wont look that bad if maintained well.
Fiesta Classic is not very huge like other sedans, plus space is good on the inside, its a logical upgrade for you from a hatch to a sedan and also you can stay with petrol.

If at all you choose diesel which i highly recommend you to do then PUNTO DIESEL 90BHP is your answer.

Good Luck
Old 9th November 2011, 18:22   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Also, if you don't have many issues with Fiat's A.S.S. in your area, I can happily recommend the Punto as well. Do check it out. In terms of riding comfort, handling and features on offer, I feel its a much better VFM option than the Polo right now.
Yes so the the Jazz is not an option due to the waiting period. Fiat is scary due to the A.S.S. or else Punto would be perfect! Swift seems to be the best option right now. Even looking at the Skoda Fabia 1.6 but A.S.S. is again an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

No true! Swift being delivered within 02 months for petrol and 04 months for diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
The best diesel hatch in today's market is the Swift diesel. It has all the necessary requirements. Its got good power. Its got good handling. Its interiors look fresh. Even the space is OK.
The next compromise is Figo. It has got everything Swift has except power. But then it is priced lower as well.

Now in petrol,
Jazz is the best choice.
Then comes Swift.
And finally I10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Hi,

Firstly, none of us are able to get an answer from you as to why you want to stick to a petrol when you'll do about 100km a day, and diesel is the need of the hour, diesel is more fun to drive and it is easy on your pocket too.

secondly, the fears that you are having in terms of Fiesta classic will phase out is all false. If Ford would have any such plans they would not rebadge the car as Classic and reduce the prices. If Fiesta classic goes, ford has no product between figo and new fiesta, which ford will not do unless they get some tips from honda with regards to how to loose market share.

You need good handling.
Your option are PUNTO, POLO, NEW SWIFT.

You should go ahead with Fiesta Classic, its a very simple elegant looking car, even after 7 years from now it wont look that bad if maintained well.
Fiesta Classic is not very huge like other sedans, plus space is good on the inside, its a logical upgrade for you from a hatch to a sedan and also you can stay with petrol.

If at all you choose diesel which i highly recommend you to do then PUNTO DIESEL 90BHP is your answer.

Good Luck
My only gripe with the Fiesta Classic is due to its dated looks. Actually even the i20 is a pretty common car today.

To answer both your queries about why a petrol and not diesel is strictly due to budget constraint. My budget is a max of 7L on road.
Old 9th November 2011, 18:37   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My budget is a max of 7L on road.
& how muxh a Swift ZDi is costing you on road?
Old 9th November 2011, 19:09   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Swift ZDi will be about 7.3 OTR Mumbai for him. For me its 7.09 lacs as of now as I will get the registration done from Navi Mumbai (Vashi) where there is no Octroi.
Old 9th November 2011, 21:21   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Yes so the the Jazz is not an option due to the waiting period. Fiat is scary due to the A.S.S. or else Punto would be perfect! Swift seems to be the best option right now. Even looking at the Skoda Fabia 1.6 but A.S.S. is again an issue.

No true! Swift being delivered within 02 months for petrol and 04 months for diesel.

My only gripe with the Fiesta Classic is due to its dated looks. Actually even the i20 is a pretty common car today.

To answer both your queries about why a petrol and not diesel is strictly due to budget constraint. My budget is a max of 7L on road.
Okay, when budget is strictly 7 lakhs according to me selling a old swift and buying a new swift makes no sense !! you might as well refurbish the old swift and use it for some more time until you get a better car !!

Fiesta Classic is very elegant looking, in no angle does it looks outdated honestly, but lets not get into that, looks are personal choice.

i20 is a horrible option for you, 1.2 petrol i20 is underpowered big time and its no where close to your current swift in the handling department.

Punto 1.4emotion petrol is the best option, it has great handling, built very well, its about 5.5exshowroom i guess, you'll have to comprise on the A.S.S side, you can not get everything in a car!!

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 9th November 2011 at 21:23.
Old 10th November 2011, 10:59   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Swift ZDi will be about 7.3 OTR Mumbai for him. For me its 7.09 lacs as of now as I will get the registration done from Navi Mumbai (Vashi) where there is no Octroi.
The ZDi in Mumbai is 7.43L on road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Okay, when budget is strictly 7 lakhs according to me selling a old swift and buying a new swift makes no sense !! you might as well refurbish the old swift and use it for some more time until you get a better car !!

Fiesta Classic is very elegant looking, in no angle does it looks outdated honestly, but lets not get into that, looks are personal choice.

i20 is a horrible option for you, 1.2 petrol i20 is underpowered big time and its no where close to your current swift in the handling department.

Punto 1.4emotion petrol is the best option, it has great handling, built very well, its about 5.5exshowroom i guess, you'll have to comprise on the A.S.S side, you can not get everything in a car!!
Yes looks are a personal choice and I am sort of used to having a fresh model. I bought my Swift in 2005 which was a fairly new model at that time. The way I see it, the Swift seems to be the best choice when it comes to VFM. The Zxi is 6.45L on road with everything including ABS, Airbags, Auto Climate Control, Audio Controls on the Steering Wheel and Electric Mirrors. Some basic features are not available even on a car like Polo which is 7.35L on road!!

I will be test driving the i20 and Figo this weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks