Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 18:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Punto MJD 75 E+ vs Polo 1.6 Highline

Let me say this at the Outset-POLO is a very good car.

But then, reasons Why I didn't go for Polo when I bought my car:

5% Looks is one step below Punto IMO
35% Rear leg room not good as compared to Punto but almost same as Swift I would say. (Your granny would love Punto for this)
25% High waiting time.
30% Costly spares and services.
5% Not so good dealer experience

For you my suggestion in the order of preference would be Punto 1.4 EP and then Punto 1.3 MJD and then Polo 1.6

Best of luck
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2011, 19:44   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
Ok guys,

Fiat Grande Punto MJD 75BHP Emotion Pack - Rs. 7,65,000 (On-road price after discounts, including 4 year warranty and roadside assistance)

Accessories (still negotiating): mud flaps + sun film + floor mats + car perfume + idol (as offered currently)

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 Highline - Rs. 7,65,000 (Voila! This on-road price is after a corporate discount, which is the only kind on offer)

Accessories (still negotiating): No freebies on offer
I would advise you to first and foremost TEST DRIVE both these cars, preferably back to back. Once you have done so, am pretty sure you will know which way to go.

My own 2 cents, since you asked:
  • Freebies are a big no-no for VW, it seems. A 16K corporate discount is standard but not much else. In all honesty the freebies list Fiat is offering is not that hot- I think you'd rather budget 15K separately and get all those in variants that you prefer rather than what cheap stuff the dealer dumps on you (strictly my opinion)
  • The Polo 1.6 offers you 30 horses more. Hey this *is* Team BHP after all
  • IMHO the 1.6 petrol of VW has suffered a beating image-wise because it's been simply outclassed by its diesel sibling. As a petrol AT Vento owner myself, can vouch for the smooth and refined nature of the engine. You will never mistake it for a diesel, believe me. Quite peppy too- like GTO pointed out, 0-100 in 11 something which is more than decent.
  • VW is yet unproven as far as service goes but as people have started reporting now, spares seem to be reasonably priced. Service window is 15,000 km which you need to factor in as well (don't know about Fiat but the Japs & Koreans prescribe about 5-10K and less in initial stages). Incidentally Tata-Fiat is no shining star when it comes to service either
In case not yet clear, I am pumping for the Polo 1.6! Whichever you choose, all the best and drive safe!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2011, 20:44   #18
BHPian

Before making my comments I would like to mention that I have not driven a Polo yet and never heard of VW service quality from anyone close by.

Some general info you would already know- Punto will be a laggard if its pitched against 1.6. So Polo 1.6 is a clear winner here.

Specific info inline below.

Quote:

Requirements:
1. Very low mileage driver - Max about 10000 km every year
Polo again. Simply because of the refinement you can enjoy in a petrol engine against the coarse nature of diesel engines.

2. Limited highway driving till now, but want to make amends on that. So need a sure-footed hatch out on India's best and worst stretches of tarmac.
Punto gives you an immense sense of safety in highways. The ride has been already talked about. Being a German, Polo should fall in the same league too, but I 'm not sure.

3. Comfort - very important factor for me. I just about seemed to fit in the Polo. I am about 5'11". This could be a make or break.
I stand at 6'3" and love the driving position of the Punto. But it becomes extremely difficult for someone to sit behind. Punto doesn't have a spacious leg room either.

4. Reliability - The Swift didnt need a single unscheduled visit to the service station.
Being modern cars, both these cars will be very reliable. May not match a Maruti though, reason - Europeans are known for their complex engineering.

5. Service - Maruti *** has been top-class. No complaints whatsoever.
Tata A.S.S sucks. But VW group is not famos either. A wheelcap of Fabia used to cost ~Rs. 3000, while that of a Punto costs ~Rs 300. So check the price of all the spare parts of Polo 1.6
While it is clear that Polo matches your requirements the most, I still feel it will not be the right choice, as you would be compromising a lot on the leg space which, as you mentioned, is very important to you.

You know there is a better car that ticks most of your requirements than both these cars, it's the Fabia 1.6. Check it out. It offers all what the Polo offers, plus a generous leg space.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 13th April 2011 at 20:45.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2011, 20:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

doesn't the fully loaded punto DIESEL make more sense ?
as it is coming for the same price as polo PETROL?
its true that you are not going to drive more than 1000kms a month, but that logic does not apply here simply because at the same price you are getting the petrol and diesel.

if it was between punto petrol vs punto diesel or polo petrol vs polo diesel the the kms/month logic would have made sense.

given the difference between price/ltr of diesel and petrol , you would be saving quite a lot as you crunch miles on the car.
also diesel car would any day give you better resale.

get a test drive of both the cars and then decide , there are enough and more ownerships reviews on the forum to make your choice easier.
ms001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2011, 21:08   #20
BHPian

Is the leg room a very important criteria? You will have to ditch both and look else where then
As pointed by Cliffhanger, why not a Fabia 1.6? Should save you some bucks as well. Although looks are subjective, but the facelifted version does indeed look quite decent. This car seems to offer everything that the Polo does, plus the rear leg space.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2011, 21:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

One more point I forgot to add in my last post.

With the Punto, you get possibly cheaper spares, more space, Climate control, Blue&Me, MID that gives a host of information and Steering mounted audio controls. And though you run less than 1k kms a month, diesel would mean lesser running costs. Do take these into account.

@avisidhu :
Quote:
This car seems to offer everything that the Polo does, plus the rear leg space.
Fabia does not offer rear wiper and defogger, which is a 'to-have' feature in a premium hatch.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 13th April 2011 at 21:20.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2011, 21:43   #22
BHPian

Folks, I cannot appreciate enough all the advice for/against both cars. I cannot say its made the decision crystal-clear as yet, but I'm sure getting there. It won't be too long before I make up my mind. Keep your experiences with both cars pouring in!

Thanks DRIV3R, GTO, gopikb, mdsaab, hemanth.anand, Cliffhanger, ms001, avisidhu!

Ah.. the Fabia 1.6. Personally, I like this car a lot. But a couple of factors that went against it:
1. The reduced equipment list. The absence of power mirrors and the rear wiper/defogger is a serious omission for me.
2. Its styling likeness to the Swift, this is quirkily enough ok by me, but not by my mother. She did not like it one bit!

So that's why the Fabia was ruled out.
Old 16th April 2011, 06:43   #23
BHPian

Folks, I finally booked the Punto MJD 75 BHP Emotion Pack in Fox Trot Azure. Expecting delivery in 15 days.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.
Old 16th April 2011, 07:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Hope to see a complete review of the buying experience soon and some pics too.

Though I have to say, FTA is not exactly my fav colour. I think the lighter colours, FTA and Minimal grey never did justice to the Punto. The only light colour that looks nice is pure white according to me. Boss White, with the nice graphics that FIAT offers as accessories is the best in my view.
Old 16th April 2011, 07:29   #25
BHPian

Pyrotek, Congrats. The Fox trot azure is a very good color for the Punto. Can you post your thoughts on the test drive comparison between Polo and Punto? Having never driven a Polo, I am just curious to know what difference you found in terms of driveability, steering etc.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Italian beauty, Pyrotek. We expect a lot of pictures from all possible angles in your ownership thread.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

wow great news great car great color , looking forward to your ownership review.hope it serves you well.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, I finally booked the Punto MJD 75 BHP Emotion Pack in Fox Trot Azure. Expecting delivery in 15 days.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.
Nice to have one more Punter.

I am frank with what I say. FTA infact lighter shades look good on sedans and still bigger cars. Hatchbacks look good with bright colors.
Hope you have checked out Bossa Nova white, Exotica Red and Tuscan Wine in flesh before saying yes to FTA.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2011, 10:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase.
Wishing you many miles of joyful motoring with her.
Do take the famed PDI list with you when inspecting your alloted car.
Keep us posted.
Drive safe!
Old 16th April 2011, 19:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
FTA is not exactly my fav colour.
I now get the doubt if Pyrotek is getting the car for you or for himself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I am frank with what I say. FTA infact lighter shades look good on sedans and still bigger cars. Hatchbacks look good with bright colors.
Hope you have checked out Bossa Nova white, Exotica Red and Tuscan Wine in flesh before saying yes to FTA.
Guys, color choice is highly subjective and is a personal opinion. Let us leave it at that. If am getting a Punto today, it would be a FTA colored one. (Since there is no pearl white ) Good choice on that Pyrotek. Punto looks good in any color for that matter.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks