Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 19:13   #1
BHPian

Concorde Motors delivered an old car

Hello folks,

I already posted it here but didn't get any response. So, I am starting a new topic. I hope I am posting in the right forum.

The following content is essentially from the same post:
-----
I bought a Linea MJD in Feb from Concorde Motors, Bangalore. The initial ownership report can be found here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...r-3000-km.html (Fiat Linea MJD Dynamic - Ownership report after 3000 KM)

This was a Dec 2010 make according to the sales executive and I was fine with that since I was getting 15K worth accessories. I was also told that someone had booked this car and had cancelled the booking. But when I inspected the car before delivery, everything was fine. But within few weeks and few washes I noticed some of the exterior plastic wore faded look and noticed some micro swirl marks on the bonnet and that's when I become suspicious. I decoded the VIN number (I know it was already late and deserve bashing) and to my shock I learned that the car was manufactured in May 2010 and not Dec 2010 as told by the dealer.

I immediately called up the executive and asked for an explanation. He didn't respond properly for a week after which I raised a complaint with Tata motors. Now apparently Tata motors have pulled up Concorde motors and today I got a couple of calls from the executive as well as the sales manager. The manager said he will discuss with the executive and get back to me as the executive himself admitted the error on his part. Later the executive called again and said the company expects him to resolve this matter on his own and whatever costs it will have to be from him. Obviously, I don't believe him.

Anyway, he asked me what I expected. Of course, I am stunned that the car is already 1 year old but I have owned it only for about 3 months. But I do want them to do something about things that are bothering me, which I have tried to list down here:

1. The feeling of being taken for a ride and being dumped an old (though unused) car.
2. When the car came to me, it had already depreciated. The executive is arguing that it won't matter as there won't be much difference in price between a May and Dec manufactured car. But I don't care what he thinks even if he is right
3. Things like the almost faded plastic and minor swirl marks on the bonnet. I am assuming the car must have been in the stockyard for a long time and being cleaned so many times.

I tried to make him come up with an offer but he refuses and put the ball in my court. As of now I am thinking of asking them to get the car detailed (remove swirl marks etc.), replace the faded plastic parts and compensate the depreciation. But don't really know how much. It really depends on when the car gets sold. But is there a norm that dealers follow?
----

Since posting the above, I have changed my stand on what I want. I am pushing for a replacement and I have informed Tata motors the same. The reason being I am just not convinced that the vehicle was not being used for test drive purposes. And hence, I will never know the seriousness of the risk I am taking. So, I want to play it safe and not regret later. However, I would like to hear it from people here. In case a replacement is not going to work, should I just settle for a compensation and if so, how much would be good? A quick response will be very much appreciated.
Old 20th May 2011, 21:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Concorde Motors delivered an old car

IMO, you should not ask anything less than a replacement with the new stock. Let the depreciation and resale cost of the car be borne by the dealership. Do not be lenient with the reasonings given by the person.

Essentially, the car will always be 2010 model (even if you were okay with it) but with the knowledge that it was Dec 2010 make and not the May 2010. Now trying to cover up with the reasoning is itself an issue and the management should have intervened instead of letting the salesman handle such a sensitive issue. How they deal with it internally is their matter altogether. Essentially you have been cheated of the facts somehow and surely knowingly from the dealership perspective because before delivery their PDI and the customer's demands should have taken care of all the aspects.

Even if you want to settle for compensation, do not go too lenient.
I have a source in the knowning who Tata had to give the car (Indigo) free and refund all the amount for registering and delivering a car that was of different color.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 10:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
IMO, you should not ask anything less than a replacement with the new stock. Let the depreciation and resale cost of the car be borne by the dealership. Do not be lenient with the reasonings given by the person.
Thanks! Probably the sale exec thought that I will make the same mistake I will do when I doing the PDI. But now I am determined I will go all the way to get the right solution.

Quote:
Now trying to cover up with the reasoning is itself an issue and the management should have intervened instead of letting the salesman handle such a sensitive issue. How they deal with it internally is their matter altogether. Essentially you have been cheated of the facts somehow and surely knowingly from the dealership perspective because before delivery their PDI and the customer's demands should have taken care of all the aspects.
Absolutely. It's the attitude! Having seen that I am not ready to believe anything they tell me, even it's the truth.

Quote:
I have a source in the knowning who Tata had to give the car (Indigo) free and refund all the amount for registering and delivering a car that was of different color.
That will give me the required confidence to fight it. Thanks again.
Old 21st May 2011, 12:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

You are entitled to a replacement.

It is not just about the May-December difference; the car could have been used as TD vehicle or it could be anything. Linea is selling well so there's no reasonable justification for a 9 month delay between manufacturer and delivery (assuming February to be when you got the car, from your ownership report).

Accepting freebies now would mean you absolve Tata, Concorde and the SA of any further responsibility; so if the car develops any problems later, it is completely on you.

And the "you tell me what you expect" is just an attempt for you to sympathize with him so you let him off the hook.

You were cheated; you deserve what you pay for. And that is, a new car.
Old 21st May 2011, 13:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
It is not just about the May-December difference; the car could have been used as TD vehicle or it could be anything. Linea is selling well so there's no reasonable justification for a 9 month delay between manufacturer and delivery (assuming February to be when you got the car, from your ownership report).
That's my guess too. The sales exec tells me that someone booked this car and cancelled and none was interested in buying it after that. But now I don't believe him at all.

Quote:
Accepting freebies now would mean you absolve Tata, Concorde and the SA of any further responsibility; so if the car develops any problems later, it is completely on you.
Initially I thought it won't be a bad idea. But considering it again, I realize how big the risk could have been.

Quote:
And the "you tell me what you expect" is just an attempt for you to sympathize with him so you let him off the hook.
Yes, the most difficult thing is not vent my frustration/anger at the sales exec and yet be firm on my demands. I have managed thus far and I think now he understands I am no pushover.

Another concern is how long this is going to take to get resolved. I would like to know if there is anything I need to take care of. For example, would there be a problem if I keep using the car? I have driven it for nearly 5K kms and can this or any further usage be turned against me?
Old 21st May 2011, 13:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely agree with the comments posted below you are definately entitled to a replacement. You have spent your hard earned money and obviously deserve piece of mind with your brand new car purchase.

Push them hard and don't let them wiggle out of the situation. be firm and ensure that a replacement reaches you immediately.

Keep us posted.

Till then Drive Safe!
Old 21st May 2011, 13:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Prakash, if they have put the ball in your court, you should ask for the maximum, i.e. a replacement. Period.
At the same time, what does your RC Book / smart card indicate about month of manafacture? If it has December 2010 put down as month of manafacture and the VIN says otherwise, you have a very strong case on your hands.
Old 21st May 2011, 13:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Did they communicate to you anywhere in writing that it was a Dec'10 car, or was it just verbal?
Old 21st May 2011, 13:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ask for a replacement and tell them firmly whatever cost is involved in the process should be borne by them. If you have saved all the conversation mails with them, send a copy to any of the automags. They will have a field day with it.
Old 21st May 2011, 14:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Did they communicate to you anywhere in writing that it was a Dec'10 car, or was it just verbal?
No, they didn't. Both the sales exec and the manager admitted that a mistake has been made. And I guess it works either way, right? I didn't give them in writing that I am fine with a May 2010 car. Aren't they supposed to get my consent if they are selling an old car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
At the same time, what does your RC Book / smart card indicate about month of manafacture? If it has December 2010 put down as month of manafacture and the VIN says otherwise, you have a very strong case on your hands.
I haven't had a chance to see the RC yet. It's with my employer (the car is on company lease). I will request for my copy first thing, Monday.
Old 21st May 2011, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

fiat does it again
have you taken the car to professional painting shop i have a feeling that the car has been repainted
here's my experience with fiat and their dealer'
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-autozone.html
Old 21st May 2011, 14:15   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Exactly why I have asked him to check the Registration Certificate. If May 2010 is indicated on it, our friend is pretty much at the dealer's mercy, and the other way around if it is December 2010.
Prakash, it is imperative for you to have checked all documents pertaining to the vehicle at time of delivery. Now that the damage is done, check it up on Monday and lets see what gives.
Old 21st May 2011, 14:28   #13
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2011 at 20:21.
Naparajito is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st May 2011, 14:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
fiat does it again
have you taken the car to professional painting shop i have a feeling that the car has been repainted
here's my experience with fiat and their dealer'
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-autozone.html
I won't blame Fiat for this (yet). But it would be interesting to see how they support me on this in future. As of now it's between Concorde, Tata Motors and me. And the initial impression I am getting is Tata motors is interested in resolving this issue. But only time will tell how serious they are.
Old 22nd May 2011, 19:33   #15
BHPian

Oh! this has come as a shock to me now I have booked an Indigo eCS with Concord Motors, Bangalore just a week back and yet to get a car allocated. Within a week they have already postponed the delivery date twice to 15th of June.

Thanks prakash_ajp for bringing this on the forum, I will be very careful with these guys. Keenly waiting to see how your case would be handled. Please keep updating the status.

Hopefully your RC book reads in your favor. As a potential customer of Concorde motors, if I can help you in anyway do let me know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks