Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2011, 09:15   #16
BHPian

re: VW Downtown mislead my colleague and encouraged insurance fraud

Not surprised at all.

In March 2011, one of my friend who had a Polo had accidently hit a pavment stone lying on the road at some speed and damaged left steel rim, shocks and lower arms, left side running board etc. He got an estimate of 65.8 K including parts and labour.

We kind of observed that they had mentioned 14926 Rs for Tyre Rim. We asked him to get back to VW dealer asking him to clarify if the quote was for 4 rims or 4 alloys? Also we noted that they were charging 2200 Rs in name of Balancing and Alignment, with platinum weights during balancing?

The clarification provided and they corrected the picing for rim from 15K to 1.5 K stating that they thought it was alloys. We still dont understand if the VW alloys cost 15K per alloy? If the customer was unsuspective, then that would have passed of at 15K, even though he had insurance claims.

Here is the screen shot of the actual estimate my friend received.

SHOCKING but not surprised at all.

Thanks,
narayanang76
Attached Thumbnails
VW Downtown mislead my colleague and encouraged insurance fraud-vw-service-1.jpg  

VW Downtown mislead my colleague and encouraged insurance fraud-vw-service-2.jpg  

Old 21st July 2011, 11:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

2200 for wheel balancing. unbelievable man. I think VW dealers want to make use of any claims to claim as much as possible from the insurance and get parts.

Little can we know if they replaced any parts. Unlike Maruthi where you can demand to stay with your car VW service centres are not allowing customers to be at the work area(Quoting Safety reasons)

Can we legally stay with our car when the repairs are done.

Thats one reason why i like taking my bullet to my favorite mechanics. I can sit next to the bullet when its worked upon.
Old 21st July 2011, 11:15   #18
BHPian

All these again raise the age old question of the integrity of A*S*S of VW and Skoda. I least expected VW Downtown to indulge in such breach of trust as it belongs to the respectable (I think) PCH group.
Old 21st July 2011, 11:36   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
2200 for wheel balancing. unbelievable man. I think VW dealers want to make use of any claims to claim as much as possible from the insurance and get parts.

Little can we know if they replaced any parts. Unlike Maruthi where you can demand to stay with your car VW service centres are not allowing customers to be at the work area(Quoting Safety reasons)

Can we legally stay with our car when the repairs are done.

Thats one reason why i like taking my bullet to my favorite mechanics. I can sit next to the bullet when its worked upon.
oh boy.
Just forced someone's opinion to go for a vento.
I hope this doesnt come to haunt me...

As for the replacement parts, dont VW have a policy of returning the replaced part as well?
Foed does, and hyundai.
Old 21st July 2011, 12:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Not surprised at all.

The clarification provided and they corrected the picing for rim from 15K to 1.5 K stating that they thought it was alloys. We still dont understand if the VW alloys cost 15K per alloy? If the customer was unsuspective, then that would have passed of at 15K, even though he had insurance claims.
I changed the Alloy for my Vento and I was charged 19k for the alloy. So, I am not sure if the alloy costs 15k or 19k now. Where is VW heading to?
Old 21st July 2011, 12:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
I changed the Alloy for my Vento and I was charged 19k for the alloy. So, I am not sure if the alloy costs 15k or 19k now. Where is VW heading to?

I am a bit confused here. Is it 19k/15k for one OEM alloy or the whole set of four ?
Old 21st July 2011, 12:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
I am a bit confused here. Is it 19k/15k for one OEM alloy or the whole set of four ?
19k is for one OEM alloy (that's what was charged to me atleast).
Old 21st July 2011, 13:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Is it not over-priced ? I know the OEM VW alloys are decent, but they are not so stunning to be priced at 19k per piece !

Is this pricing true for all OEM alloys from other vehicle manufacturers as well?
Old 21st July 2011, 13:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
OMG ! .Then i would have sold 4 alloys for 60K and buy aftermarket ones for 20K and will save the rest for fuel
I heard honda also charges premium for their alloys.
Old 21st July 2011, 13:10   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it not over-priced ? I know the OEM VW alloys are decent, but they are not so stunning to be priced at 19k per piece !

Is this pricing true for all OEM alloys from other vehicle manufacturers as well?
14.5 k quoted by ford for a fresh set of 4 alloys on the fiesta, the 5 spli-spoke ones.)
Old 21st July 2011, 13:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
14.5 k quoted by ford for a fresh set of 4 alloys on the fiesta, the 5 spli-spoke ones.)
Amazing !

14.5k for a set of 4 alloys for the Ford Fiesta ! And reports of 15k/19k quoted for a single piece alloy from VW !

Any idea why so pricey ? Or is it because its made of some superior alloy mixture or is it because it is manufactured outside India ? There should be some kind of logical reason for such a price for a single piece. If it is priced at 19k, you might as well return the 3 alloys which are in good condition for a price of say 13k per piece. So 13x3 = 39k. You can put on some really neat after market alloys.
Old 21st July 2011, 13:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Precisely. Also set of 4 or may be 5 typical aftermarket alloys cost around 15K to 25K, varying brands and models.

1 Alloy costing 15k / 19K cant believe that. They are not for Beemers right?

Something really funny or fishy about these. In my friend's case if they were this careless about not 'knowing' the car having alloys / steel rims, how can the estimate they gave is for the proper repair only? Looks like someone quoting an estimate to cover 'everything under the sun' for such damages and then insurance company paying for it, god knows what happens to those parts and items listed in their estimates.

Now I think a lot of VW owners would start thinking of selling their alloys for aftermarket ones (and new tires also may be) and if someone had sold at less price already would be repenting as well.

Regarding Honda Alloys, I had enquired at Dakshin Honda few months back, the 14" ones were quoted at around 20 K for a set of 4. Some extra charges were also mentioned but it was not 15 K for one alloy, I am sure of that.

Cheers
narayanang76
Old 21st July 2011, 14:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
OMG ! .Then i would have sold 4 alloys for 60K and buy aftermarket ones for 20K and will save the rest for fuel
I heard honda also charges premium for their alloys.
Would you guys be surprised if I said that a tire on the T-fort costs a whooping 40k ? Read here (40K for a Fortuner tyre!)
Old 21st July 2011, 14:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Precisely. Also set of 4 or may be 5 typical aftermarket alloys cost around 15K to 25K, varying brands and models.

1 Alloy costing 15k / 19K cant believe that. They are not for Beemers right?

Something really funny or fishy about these. In my friend's case if they were this careless about not 'knowing' the car having alloys / steel rims, how can the estimate they gave is for the proper repair only? Looks like someone quoting an estimate to cover 'everything under the sun' for such damages and then insurance company paying for it, god knows what happens to those parts and items listed in their estimates.

Now I think a lot of VW owners would start thinking of selling their alloys for aftermarket ones (and new tires also may be) and if someone had sold at less price already would be repenting as well.

Regarding Honda Alloys, I had enquired at Dakshin Honda few months back, the 14" ones were quoted at around 20 K for a set of 4. Some extra charges were also mentioned but it was not 15 K for one alloy, I am sure of that.

Cheers
narayanang76

You should verify the authenticity of this quote your friend received by talking to somebody from VW Palace Cross. If possible, take a print out and sit down with the manager/executive there and see if they are able to correct the prices. Even a reduction of Rs.1000 or more warrants for a complaint to the Dakshin/Downtown Group. I simply cant seem to accept the price for a single alloy wheel to be 15k/19k.

Down Down Downtown !
Old 21st July 2011, 14:47   #30
Team-BHP Support

Riju initial batches of Fortuner tyres were imported. They charged 40K for a replacement. After that they switched to another vendor and I believe the new rates were like 11K per tyre.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks