Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2014, 14:56   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refu

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Firstly, NO SIR, the steeering noise is not normal and it absolutely does not come in every car. I don't know where you live in Mumbai, but when you do come Ghatkopar side anytime, give me a shout, I will tell you exactly where the sound is coming from and also recommend you a place too ( a MASS ) which will help you get rid of it.
Yes sir, I have not said that the noise is normal. Its the service center who is saying so! I did try out the tests you asked to perform (haven't gone to an alignment guy though). The noise is not heard when the car is stationary & neither is it heard on paver blocks.

We stay at Borivali BTW. Which is your recommended MASS?
Old 30th April 2014, 15:00   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Yes sir, I have not said that the noise is normal. Its the service center who is saying so! I did try out the tests you asked to perform (haven't gone to an alignment guy though). The noise is not heard when the car is stationary & neither is it heard on paver blocks.

We stay at Borivali BTW. Which is your recommended MASS?
I usually go to Navneet Motors Thane to fix something when I have no time to stand there and get it fixed, they do a very fine job, but its very far away from my house so its a bummer sometimes. Car Kraft in Mulund or Ravi Automobiles in Ghatkopar when I have time and I know what the problem is and how to fix it, I just use their tools and labor because I do not trust these guys enough to leave my car here. Go to Navneet and see what he says. Borivali to Thane by Ghodbunder road won't take long.
Old 20th August 2014, 15:24   #153
BHPian

I have a similar story to share. However, I am writing this more for getting good advice on what should I do next? For the car? Regarding Sai Service?

My 3 year old Swift Dzire with just 18k run went in for its paid service. I used to give my car at Spectra and was not really enthusiastic about giving it there. So I was stupid enough to try out Sai Service, Borivali East.

The problems in the car before servicing that I wanted to be addressed:
1 - A weird noise coming from the engine bay - similar to the bell that a sugarcane juice vendor attaches to the sugarcane machine. (Seriously, not kidding here).
2 - The car starts everyday in the morning, but once run for some time with either AC / Blower / Headlights / Music system on, it does not start once turned off.
3 - The brakes were a little loose for my preference.
4 - The transition from 1st gear to 2nd was "sometimes" a little stiff.
5 - Check Engine light ON

The SA told me that he will do the following for the above issues:
1 - Open the engine bay and check what the problem is, probably from the belt or some bearing might have come out.
2 - Clearly stated that since it is 3 years, the battery has gone kaput and will need a replacement. However, he will check if the alternator is charging it fine.
3 - Replace the brake pads
4 - Gear lubrication as a part of the basic service should take care of it.
5 – Will run the OBD and check the issue, if needed will fix and clear the code using the scanner.

Now, I didn't really have a problem until this stage.

Now, I agreed and signed the estimate. I was not concerned with an estimate of 7-8k as far as these problems were fixed. The car was taken for car wash and guess what? The idiot left the car keys with remote inside and didn't even keep the window down. The car gets locked! Good for them that I had not yet left. I got a little pissed but opened it with the spare key that I was “luckily” carrying. I inform them to take care since my security system locks the car after 30 seconds if all doors are closed. After that, I went back home because the SA suggested that I come the next day to pick up the car.

Next day morning, I come to the Service Center and look for my car. I locate it in a corner and guess what? I find the keys there inside the car and the car, of course, is locked! I got really scared whether any servicing was even done. But the SA told me that the car got locked after all the work was done in the evening. He had also called me in the day to inform that the battery is just not charging even when charged separately. I asked him not to replace the battery as I would do that myself later.

So, after an hour of waiting, an idiot comes to open the car with a long steel scale, unaware of the fact that the guy roaming around the car (me) is the owner of that car. The moment that person tried to enter that thing in my car, I strongly asked him to just get the hell out of the sight and not touch my car. After another half an hour, the SA came down and I told him that the car is locked yet again! I unlocked it, opened the bonnet, and what do I see? The half eaten nut which was left over by a rat was still there! That makes me wonder what kind of service and cleaning these guys must have done. Or if they had even touched the car at all. When I complained, another idiot just came with a duster and started dry cleaning the car. I had to stop him stating that I want a fully washed car.

Coming back to the issues that I had reported. Here is the update:
1 – The noise was still there. The SA said that the noise is coming from the gearbox and cannot be fixed. If I want him to check that deeper, that would get 5000 extra. But as of now, it is not really a problem. I still don't understand how can something in the gearbox not be a problem? Rather how can the problem be with the gearbox if the car is driving absolutely fine otherwise?
2 – The battery seemed to have gone bad. I later replaced it myself with an Amaron battery. As of today, the problem of the car not starting is still there. Got the new battery checked too by replacing it with another known good battery. The problem persists. Confirmed that the battery, alternator are all fine. The problem is probably with the starter. Experts, please help here.
3 – The SA said the brake pads are replaced. I hope he has since he gave me the old brake pads, but then you never know.
4 – The 1st to 2st Gear transition is still the same. No improvements.
5 – The Check Engine light is still ON. The SA said he ran the scanner but the light is due to CNG. A standard answer I have got every time I have asked about it. The Service Center guys as well as the CNG guys are expert are blaming each other while the problem sits there quietly.

My only concern is that all my problems are still there with a bill of 8k.

Experts, where do I take it from here?
Old 20th August 2014, 17:27   #154
Senior - BHPian

If you car is out of warranty (which it will be since it already has the CNG installed aftermarket), take it to some reputed friendly neighborhood garage. FNH do a far better job than the A.S.S.(especially the one's which have a lot of cars to attend to in a day, like Maruti or Hyundai).

Once the Car is out of warranty and getting original spares is not an issue, one should always opt for FNH's.

I am sure there are aplenty of good garages in Mumbai. Fellow T-Bhpians from Mumbai can help you here.

Re: car starting issues, if the car cranks, then it is not the starter issue. Since Alternator and Battery both have been checked to be fine, It can be a fuel pump issue, but before that, do get the fuel filter/air filter checked.
Old 20th August 2014, 18:13   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

Re: car starting issues, if the car cranks, then it is not the starter issue. Since Alternator and Battery both have been checked to be fine, It can be a fuel pump issue, but before that, do get the fuel filter/air filter checked.
Thanks Vinit. I doubt it would be the fuel pump since the car never really showed any such issues earlier. When I say the car cranks, it rather feels like the starter is unable to start since it had probably got a little heated up.

Let's see. I'm taking your advice and taking the car to a nearby mechanic. Any suggestions for a real genuine and knowledgeable mechanic around Goregaon West?
Old 20th August 2014, 18:14   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipakDZireLover View Post
Any suggestions for a real genuine and knowledgeable mechanic around Goregaon West?
B M Motors on Link road (near chincoli bandar signal).
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 18:30   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipakDZireLover View Post
Thanks Vinit. I doubt it would be the fuel pump since the car never really showed any such issues earlier. When I say the car cranks, it rather feels like the starter is unable to start since it had probably got a little heated up.

Let's see. I'm taking your advice and taking the car to a nearby mechanic. Any suggestions for a real genuine and knowledgeable mechanic around Goregaon West?
I have tried a lot of local mechs but just listening to them describe the issue and the probable solution made me run away from them. I too stay in Goregaon west. I would strongly advise WagenWerkz as i had gotten my Vtec serviced from there. Jatin is a honest guy with good knowledge. His charges maybe a bit higher but his work is good. Contact details are there under the Mumbai Directory.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 17:18   #158
BHPian

Re: Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refunded

This thread saved me !!

I booked a service appointment for today at Sai Service (Lower Parel branch). Note that the telephonic service adviser told me that the servicing would be Only 1350/- including oil change to which I was surprised and I could make out that she was not a professional so I chose to ignore the funny quote and went to the service center.The service personnel took a short trial ride of my car and noted all the points.

Meanwhile I browsed to this thread and it alerted me about their rogue practices which our fellow members have faced.

I was given a rough estimate of Rs. 15000/- for a normal routine service and my vehicle is 2008 Swift Petrol which has done 42000 kms. I asked them about the breakup and the service personnel said it will come in the final bill. I strongly insisted on the breakup but I was very polite to do so.

When I started to omit the unnecessary jobs like headlight polishing and doors servicing, he got a little upset. Trickily I asked him about the suspension (the full suspension set up, front and back, was changed at 39000 kms 6 months back) he started pointing out that there is a strange noise and wobble from the rear suspension and it might need to be replaced.

I calmly asked him to get me to his manager so that I could clarify a few things, and to my surprise the manager was very rude to talk to. I could make out that a middle class "swift" owner is not a valued customer for them and that I shouldn't be asking silly questions as why their service charges are higher @ Rs. 2000/- whereas other service stations take about 600 to 1000 for washing my car including service charges of change of oil. This was the end of my patience and I started to walk out of the service station (more like a garage) dejected. The manager came running behind me after knowing that I had refferred a lot of vehicles for claims (as I am into insurance and had this huge misconception that reputed garages like Sai Service do a better job and give better service). But I have vowed myself I will never ever refer them to anyone.

This thread literally saved me, thanks to the website and thread owner that my hard earned money was not allowed to be robbed.
The Great is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 18:58   #159
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refunded

I think Sai Service is going to the dogs. I had bought my Swift Vdi from there and used to get it serviced there regularly, but of late, they have been going down on their service levels and increasing their rates, and worse, including umpteen incorrect charges in their bills. I've stopped going there for the last 2 services and I'm pleasantly surprised to see that my costs have come down remarkably. I now frequent Ravi automobiles in Ghatkopar. Not a great center in terms of cleanliness etc, but they are pretty good in doing the regular basic servicing, and don't add on unnecessary items to the bill.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks