Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:13   #91
BHPian

Re: Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refu

While Maruti has shown that it cares for its customer by resolving this issue promptly I wonder whether it has penalized its dealer in any way. There is a strong perception that Maruti service is getting costlier and that it no longer is cheap to maintain a Maruti. Dealers try to influence the customer to go in for various extras at the time of service instead of sticking to the recommended service schedule. Fuel line cleaning , throttle body cleaning and injector cleaning are some of the jobs that are rip offs at Maruti service centers.
GLAD73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:44   #92
BHPian

Re: Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refu

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
One thing I am sure is that MSIL is keeping quiet over such extra billing issues until the customer complains. All the dealer service centers can be monitored On-line by MSIL.
A very valid point. Notwithstanding the same, Maruti does deserve credit for (at least) resolving the issue to the satisfaction of the complainant!
Old 24th March 2014, 08:41   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
One thing I am sure is that MSIL is keeping quiet over such extra billing issues until the customer complains. All the dealer service centers can be monitored On-line by MSIL. Hence, they can easily see what is charged to customers. If MSIL was really serious, they could have noticed such practices and could have taken action against the dealers and warned them not to continue.
All are MASS have online monitoring facility but do you think the guys sitting at top would keep looking at every bill made? Just a thought all the estimates that are made before the car is taken for service has the signature of the customer so the guys sitting at top will think that the customer has agreed for those 'services' hence billed!

Maruti think, why complain and stop when money is flowing-in. Ignorant customers are fleeced but one such knowledgeable customer arrives then they have a tough time dealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I for one am constantly approached by Sai service to service my car every 6 months, even though the manual says 10k or every year. I see that they do add extra stuff, on their own, which I make them cancel later.

Why can't I just be able to give my car for service and get the company specified checks/services done in peace?
I too was a part of their torture calls when i had bought my Ritz VDi in 2010 where I used to get calls for service between two services and when the reason is asked they say 'preventive service Saar!'. I politely ask them to show that preventive service requirement in the owners manual and if they succeed in showing me the same, I will come with the car right away. Listening to this they have stopped calling me thereafter.

Just that extra money that get by calling a customer in the name of 'preventive service'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLAD73 View Post
While Maruti has shown that it cares for its customer by resolving this issue promptly I wonder whether it has penalized its dealer in any way.
Generally they do penalize the MASS that get into such troubles where a customer complains to the head office about such non-sense billing. If the matter goes through the MASS Service head then Maruti top guys won't know about the issue unless someone sitting on top looks at each and every bill made.

Till the customer is dealing with the local MASS service/sales head the guys there think they are kings but the moment the customer calls/emails the head office and alerts about any issue then promptly the behaviour of the service guys change. A sense of politeness and respect comes-in!

I guess it all depends on the seriousness of the issue raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLAD73 View Post
Dealers try to influence the customer to go in for various extras at the time of service instead of sticking to the recommended service schedule. Fuel line cleaning , throttle body cleaning and injector cleaning are some of the jobs that are rip offs at Maruti service centers.
This is natural in any business and all these SA's are given more incentives when such kind of jobs are done on a car. Not all customers posses the know-how of what needs to be done and what not.

When a customer has the discussion with an SA he understands what knowledge levels the customer has and is it possible to fleece him with such services silently and keep milking him till he starts objecting. The more the fleecing more are the incentives as every bill made either has the SA's name or his employee code that is tracked later during appraisals.

I am not taking the side of Maruti here but this is what happens in most services. Just that we have to politely decline ALL such offers/ services.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 09:57   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Not all customers posses the know-how of what needs to be done and what not.When a customer has the discussion with an SA he understands what knowledge levels the customer has and is it possible to fleece him with such services silently and keep milking him till he starts objecting. The more the fleecing more are the incentives as every bill made either has the SA's name or his employee code that is tracked later during appraisals.I am not taking the side of Maruti here but this is what happens in most services. Just that we have to politely decline ALL such offers/ services.Anurag.
They just say for example, the struts are weak and need replacement. It is like subjective and one feels like being at MASS they know better about our car. How are we to know what to accept and what to decline. What can a technically challenged customer do with this offer?
Old 24th March 2014, 10:01   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

They just say for example, the struts are weak and need replacement. It is like subjective and one feels like being at MASS they know better about our car. How are we to know what to accept and what to decline. What can a technically challenged customer do with this offer?
Get a second opinion before handing the car over. Yes Maruti knows the cat beret than the owner but it is not always right.

They will tell 'weak struts' and pressurise you to get it changed but what I feel is to slip off at that moment, get a second opinion from another MASS or an FNG. If the second opinion too says 'Weak Struts' then get it changed at MASS.

Anurag.
Old 24th March 2014, 10:59   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
All are MASS have online monitoring facility but do you think the guys sitting at top would keep looking at every bill made?
It is only the dealers and MSZ who come directly under their surveillance whose transactions are tracked. MASS don't come under this cover. Hence its not difficult to keep a check on such activity.

Why should they feel thar the customer has agreed for the extra work? If marito doesn't recommend oil additive, it should be banned frkm being billed. When the ASC don't agree to change oil in the first service even if we insist, just because MSIL will not allow this, they shouldn't even agree for an oil additive going by the same logic that they are being watched by MSIL. This is the unfair practice that happens.

I insisted that an oil change be done in my cars second service since I wanted it. Inspite of forcing, the SA wouldnt do it and he told me that if they notice that the oil is billed along with a second service, the guys at MSIL will question why and so on. If they wont allow such things, why will they keep a closed eye when they charge extra labour upon regular service? This is where the state of affairs must improve.

Last edited by audioholic : 24th March 2014 at 11:04.
Old 24th March 2014, 15:19   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
That is the mark of Toyota service.
Regards
JLS
Hmm, I'll take your word for it, since I have never owned a Toyota.

With my Maruti swift, I read the manual religiously and insist on only doing what Maruti recommends in the manual, so I'm protected in that sense, but it still leaves a bitter taste when you know that the dealer is trying to fleece you with unwanted items.

I know the Maruti folks like many other automotive companies monitor Team Bhp and I hope they take this feedback in the right spirit. It can really help improve the overall customer satisfaction levels.

But maybe JLS, I just might try out a Toyota on my next purchase, I really do like their Fortuner, although its way out of my budget right now.
Old 24th March 2014, 16:36   #98
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Hmm, I'll take your word for it, since I have never owned a Toyota.

With my Maruti swift, I read the manual religiously and insist on only doing what Maruti recommends in the manual, so I'm protected in that sense, but it still leaves a bitter taste when you know that the dealer is trying to fleece you with unwanted items.

I know the Maruti folks like many other automotive companies monitor Team Bhp and I hope they take this feedback in the right spirit. It can really help improve the overall customer satisfaction levels.

But maybe JLS, I just might try out a Toyota on my next purchase, I really do like their Fortuner, although its way out of my budget right now.
I also have not owned any Toyota vehicle in India, but my comment was based on what I gathered from my friends/family circle and mainly from reading ownership threads on TBHP.
Please go through many Toyota vehicle ownership threads. You will find number of examples of easy and smooth Toyota A.S.S., where in you need not be on your guard against revenue target oriented SA.

Regards,

JLS
Old 24th March 2014, 17:41   #99
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the refund. However i am waiting to hear what explanation did they exactly provide for the over billing and what action did they take on the Service Manager. Anything concrete?

Will you still continue with Sai Service after this debacle?
Old 25th March 2014, 09:51   #100
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for the late reply.

I didn't bother asking for explanations of unwanted jobs. They had admitted their mistake and were ready to refund the amount without any conditions, so I avoided further arguments. He only mentioned that we check the history of the car, and the condition during trial before service & then advise about value added services (the term they used). I left it at that as there was no point arguing.

As for continuing with Sai service, there is time to decide, but most likely answer will be no.

This thread itself is enough penalty for the Service center IMHO. I could sense that this has hit them hard, going by their statements (You could have at least informed come to us once before complaining, etc).

Yes, they also call us for servicing every 6 months (this can be seen on the invoices too, where next service due date is mentioned). We totally ignore the calls. The reason given is the same what a4anurag posted - Preventive maintenance. I had written to Maruti regarding this, but nothing changed.

Last edited by AkMar : 25th March 2014 at 09:55.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:22   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
They had admitted their mistake and were ready to refund the amount without any conditions, so I avoided further arguments.
Good one. You did the right thing to leave the discussion at that point instead of dragging it further and making the situation sour. Apologies and a admitting of the mistake is what the whole motto was which they agreed so no point in exaggeration.

Quote:
As for continuing with Sai service, there is time to decide, but most likely answer will be no.
IMO, give them another chance and see how they change for good (at least with you or your dad).

Quote:
This thread itself is enough penalty for the Service center IMHO. I could sense that this has hit them hard, going by their statements
I agree and such threads are rare for a Maruti. I will be emailing this thread link to my Service Manager at Sai Service to warm him.

Quote:
The reason given is the same what a4anurag posted - Preventive maintenance. I had written to Maruti regarding this, but nothing changed.
I too have written but within 10 minutes of sending the mail I got a call from Sai Service. All the talk was apologise from the service team for harassing me for servicing my car every 6 months. Miscommunication is the MAIN problem here, reason,

The guys who call me and pester to service my car every 6 months (Preventive service) DO NOT know when all I get the car serviced and frequency I follow and they don't check their database to find out the dates of services done. My daily travel being 110 kms, 10K kms is clicked within 3 months so ideally my service frequency is every 3 months.

Now when I get my car serviced every 3 months (as prescribed) why should I get that 6 months preventive stuff done?! One day when I lost my cool, went up the service team and explained my service frequency, only then they understood and kept silent there after.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th March 2014 at 10:23.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:56   #102
BHPian

^^^^^^^The most likely explanation is that the is a guy there who gets paid for calling up people for service.. And he doesn't have any idea about the service history of the people he's calling up. He probably just has access to a list with phone numbers on it.

This became a real problem for me when I test drove/enquired about 5 cars over the weekend.. I got cold calls for 6 months after that.. I guess these lists move around and the guy with the phone keeps calling..
Old 25th March 2014, 22:18   #103
Pal
BHPian

Wow, so you got a business establishment to apologetically refund your money back to you for the approved work performed on your own car? Wow again. You deserve a standing ovation and a Sir!

So, to summarize,

1) You now have an engine waxing done - so possibly a shiny looking engine which should do nothing more than bring a big smile to a car engine's lover face each time he opens the bonnet.

2) You now have a silencer coating - so possibly a big delay in rust formation from the salty / marshy Mumbai air.

3) You now have an engine de-carbed - so potentially it should breathe and perform more efficiently.

4) You now have headlamps with lens cleared of any accumulated dirt and should, theoretically, increase throw of light.

5) You now have windshield's and door glasses slurped clean of the grime accumulated and with point (4), enable a clear vision!

---ALL OF THIS FREE OF COST!! And that too with a hand folded apology from Senior money-minded babus, for intentionally and unethically not seeking for a signature on the estimate for the work that WOULD BE performed from the owner and his ten relatives!

Yipee!!! You must be pretty satisfied indeed Sir!

Lets also hope the evil - souled Service "Looter" chap gets all that money deducted from his 4-figure salary and teaches him a life long lesson to never take a owner, however senior, to earn a what-do-they-call-it-incentive - however pushed by the erswhile mentioned "Seniors" themselves.

No way can such thieves/ looters/ cheaters fleece unsuspecting and technologically challenged customers and rip - off their wordly gains for selfish intentions. That is a right only for Doctors at hospitals!

Genuinely, once again, Sir,
Old 25th March 2014, 23:14   #104
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
He probably just has access to a list with phone numbers on it.

I got cold calls for 6 months after that.. I guess these lists move around and the guy with the phone keeps calling..
Exactly! Phone numbers move around from the time the bill is generated for customer to pay. It remains in their database and keep calling that number irrespective of knowing the real situation.
Does irritate but I am happy that I don't get any such calls.

Anurag.
Old 26th March 2014, 01:28   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal View Post
Wow, so you got a business establishment to apologetically refund your money back to you for the approved work performed on your own car? Wow again. You deserve a standing ovation and a

---ALL OF THIS FREE OF COST!! And that too with a hand folded apology from Senior money-minded babus, for intentionally and unethically not seeking for a signature on the estimate for the work that WOULD BE performed from the owner and his ten relatives!

No way can such thieves/ looters/ cheaters fleece unsuspecting and technologically challenged customers and rip - off their wordly gains for selfish intentions. That is a right only for Doctors at hospitals!

Genuinely, once again, Sir,
The service centre was told to do a regular service and they proceeded to do stuff that was not mentioned in the manual and was obviously unwarranted whichever way you look at it. I do not understand the rationale for your sarcasm. Especially your comment about doctors is inexplicable. Is there something you're implying?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks