Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2017, 08:52   #16
BANNED

This is normal practice by Maruti and Honda both which I have used in Delhi NCR. Maruti being MSM and Honda is Classic Honda Faridabad .Generally they will just think and act like it is a waste of time to check everything .Our experiences have been much better with Fiat in this regard (it is another issue they are not polished ).Tata so far has been great I would say better than market leaders .

We always try to be on safer side now and always stay with the car to which service centre folks say customers not allowed .

All this is part of Indian culture in taking everything for granted and giving no thoughts to processes .

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 15th October 2017 at 08:56.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 09:29   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: Video: Fake service done on my Baleno RS by Mandovi Motors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Question: Is the dealership compensated by the car manufacturer for 'free service'?
Yes. They are.

That's why service centers properly fill the service manuals and collect the free service coupons from inside the book, whereas they care zilch about the book once the paid service start.

Same reason why some service centers simply refuse to honour the service coupon once the timeframe is exceeded. Because they are worried if the manufacturer will honour the coupons or not.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 11:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

This week had sent my A-Star for a paid service. They came back with a bill of 4500, of which 1300 was just bloat value. Looking back at the conversation with the SA, they seemed to have had a target of that much for my car, and they billed that. I am saying target because this 1300 amount included greasing jobs and included an item I had told them specifically not to do.

3 weeks back, I was at another ASC (not my regular one), again thru reference. 60% of the bill was bloat value. But they did diagnose one problem, and I went straight to my regular ASC for this and happily paid the 14k they billed me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Same reason why some service centers simply refuse to honour the service coupon once the timeframe is exceeded. Because they are worried if the manufacturer will honour the coupons or not.
The coupons have to be submitted to the manufacturer by the end of the month. Hence ASC's do not accept coupons once the month flips over. Manufacturer pays ASC only for FS coupons submitted on time, and also service records for warranty are updated based on this.
(CD, this not for you _ I;m sure you are aware of this)

Last edited by condor : 15th October 2017 at 11:28.
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 12:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
I have installed a dash cam in the car and the whole service was recorded.
Sad to see the initial hiccup, but glad it was acknowledged by the service center and taken care of.

In my case, I left the dash cam running in my Honda City during the 3rd free service at whitefield honda body shop and when I went back, the memory card was gone

The SA repeated usual sentence that I have to remove all valuables prior to giving it for service. I wonder if someone mistakenly leaves anything, it will be considered as a free tip to the service center.

Initially they promised to refund the amount or provide a new card. Their tone changed over time and finally they gave me an interior cleaning coupon for next service.
Suryendu87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 12:47   #20
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this. This is one fear any owner would have. At the end of day, we rely on the word on the service advisor on the service carried out.

Word is spreading quick. This news is now appearing on Rushlane. Looks like a copy paste job.

https://www.rushlane.com/maruti-bale...-12252877.html
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 15:03   #21
BHPian

This is really worrying! Ironically, my Baleno is also currently in the service center (Varun Motors) for its second free service. After watching this, God only knows what they have done to mine. Maybe, this is all they do for all such free services.

We all (owners of Maruti cars) should escalate this up to their highest authority. Cheating and taking for granted like this is just not done. Thank you so much for making an effort to expose this. I will be picking up my car tomorrow from its second service. I am going to show this video to them and let me see their reaction.

Please keep us posted of the developments in case you are following this up with Maruti Suzuki. Thanks.
Old 15th October 2017, 16:14   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After reading all the comments here, I actually should lodge a complaint!
Quote:
The engine was not on throughout, the car was switched off multiple time and as mentioned earlier, the dash cam only records for 10 seconds after the car is switched off.
This means we are missing on what happened when the dash cam was turned off.

I am sure this would have already reached Maruti and Mandovi can still claim that all required checks were done(especially when all the oil checks are done with the engine turned-off) unless Maruti asks for any CCTV coverage fixed in their service bay.
Old 15th October 2017, 16:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This means we are missing on what happened when the dash cam was turned off.
The biggest giveaway that no checks were done lies in the beginning of the video itself when the driver takes the car inside the workshop area and just reverses the car out in a couple of minutes. The car was not even put up on a ramp. Engine was also not turned off so there is no chance that dashcam didn't record anything.

Later the car is just moving around for washing and ferrying around.

In the end the car goes for the under body inspection and it's the only major check that these guys did in the name of free service. But I doubt if that area is equipped with proper tools and equipment as compared to the workshop area which can be seen in the beginning.

So the service centre is clearly at fault here.

But if they are innocent, they can prove so by coming up with the relevant CCTV footage.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 15th October 2017 at 17:14.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 17:17   #24
BHPian

Also mentioned in:

https://motoroctane.com/news/95888-m...vice-complaint
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 17:41   #25
BHPian

Are we allowed to stay with the car when it is being serviced ? If yes, I will. 2nd free service is due in a month.
Old 15th October 2017, 17:54   #26
BHPian

I always thought we don't hear much negative about anything Maruti is not because they are perfect, but because most of their customers are not savy enough. The fact that not many keen eyes scrutinize their products (most reviewers go easy on Maruti and most enthusiasts don't find their cars exciting enough) gives them an unfair advantage!

I never went to their websites or showroom but just today visited their Facebook page. Just like any other manufacturer's website, it's filled with all kinds of negative reviews - disrespecting employees, warranty not being entertained, car catching fire, not delivered, you name it it's all there. So, somehow Maruti's PR has been keeping them all covered. Let's see what the future holds.
prakash_ajp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 18:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

The only lasting change that will happen as a result of this is that all service advisors will be asked to remove/disconnect DVR's in cars coming in for service (my FNG makes me)

In other news, the free services scam is not new - When I took my dad's new bike for 3rd free service to a different yamaha service center, I found out that all free service coupons up to 5th had already been claimed by the dealer who sold me the bike. The new service center pleaded helplessness, and Yamaha's customer service helpline was more or less non existent. I gave up and paid, because it was not worth wasting my time for 100 Rs. I paid for it. I was told that if i took the coupon and the bill to the dealer I bought the bike from, they said they would refund it, but they're too far away, and don't want to bother.
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 19:11   #28
BHPian

I have heard from many people, that they remain at the service center while the car is being worked on. Are you actually allowed into the bays. Would they not cite, security and safety issues. What is the general practice. I got my horn replaced some days back, and just stood by, but a full fledged service..? Would they allow.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 19:18   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Are we allowed to stay with the car when it is being serviced ? If yes, I will. 2nd free service is due in a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
I have heard from many people, that they remain at the service center while the car is being worked on. Are you actually allowed into the bays. Would they not cite, security and safety issues.
Normally, mostly non-staff is not allowed in the bays. Apart from safety of the people, we need to look at the kind of drivers/owners who come in. The arguments & stuff apart, some of these people would actually interfere even in honest the work that is being done.

Having said that, if you know the people well, they may let you in, but best to not stay too long. Don't want to set a trend for the above mentioned types of people going in & creating problems for the staff. I too go in, meet the technician & supervisor, but I come out soon.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 21:13   #30
BHPian

On a lighter note, looking at the check report, it seems like they've replaced/cleaned both your petrol and diesel fuel elements :-)
createrkid is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks