Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2022, 20:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Scam Alert! Authorised dealers charging for more engine oil than was used in service

While we are on this topic, are we sure they drain out the oil completely and then fill it up afresh? I suspect they just top up the engine oil. I have asked the Hyundai guys a couple times to do the oil change in front of me but they always have an excuse for not doing so.
pkk077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 21:42   #32
BHPian

Re: Scam Alert! Authorised dealers charging for more engine oil than was used in service

I have quite a different situation. When I get my car (Vento Diesel, 1.6L) after there will be a bootle with oil about 300-400 ml. I was told that it may be needed for top up. I never needed so far and this oil is waste since you can't use that after a year or next service

I did not see any change is cost since it is a standard rate for Service.
zensure is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 23:38   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
TL;DR;

I am in particular interested if anyone else got their car recently serviced at Brigade Honda Yelahanka if you were overcharged or correctly charged !
Here I am ! Coincidentally, I serviced my Jazz on 06th April. But seeing this post only today. Here is the bill that shows I was charged for 36 units (3.6 Litres) -
Scam Alert! Authorised dealers charging for more engine oil than was used in service-screenshot_20220410225156.png

Other than this, my experience with them is same as yours. They attended my complaints with vehicle well, quoted few additional jobs which would rather be not absolutely needed, but removed them politely with no further push when I denied!

Out of obvious curiosity, went back and checked all the previous service bills until now (been sticking with HASS doing timely services, but different dealerships in Bangalore!). I was charged couple of times correctly as 32 units from Sapphire Honda (no more operational now) and they once billed 34 units, twice 36 units. Did service once from Magnum Honda and they billed 36 units and serviced thrice in Brigade Honda Yelahanka where they charged 36 units each time! Not sure how Honda India can answer this disparity but no dealership is billing correctly and consistently looks like!!

PS: To much more coincidence, this is my first post on Team bhp. Got membership approved only yesterday, can't express in words my happiness that I'm a proud bhpian now !!
Krish_jazzer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 00:31   #34
BHPian

Quote:
TL;DR;

If you got your car serviced recently, do check the quantity of engine oil charged to you in the bill and compare it with the engine oil capacity mentioned in the technical specifications of your vehicle. You could have been charged 5-10% more than what your vehicle can actually take!
!
Thank you for starting this thread...I did go back to my bills from the Hyundai service centres in Bangalore and luckily have been charged correctly, 5.3L for the Elite i20 DSL.

Have never thought of checking these bills until I saw your post today. My logic was to stick to the service calculator and raise questions if there was a variation when they gave me an estimate. If the final bill was on lines with the service calculator, no questions asked. A good learning for us from this post.

However Advaith Hyundai once gave me a quote for sythentic engine oil and I asked why can't we use mineral oil? The SA said the oil used in the last service was synthetic, I asked him to show me on the service history the part number or where it reads as synthetic oil. Once he was at the system he sheepishly agreed it was indeed mineral oil that was used in the previous service.
samuelv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 12:44   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish_jazzer View Post
Out of obvious curiosity, went back and checked all the previous service bills until now (been sticking with HASS doing timely services, but different dealerships in Bangalore!). I was charged couple of times correctly as 32 units from Sapphire Honda (no more operational now) and they once billed 34 units, twice 36 units. Did service once from Magnum Honda and they billed 36 units and serviced thrice in Brigade Honda Yelahanka where they charged 36 units each time! Not sure how Honda India can answer this disparity but no dealership is billing correctly and consistently looks like!!

This doesn't surprise me at all. As I had noted in my opening post, this simple overbilling gets them a neat profit of almost half a crore in a year.

This just proves that Honda is either not trying to fix this systematic malpractice, or unable to fix it (perhaps the latter as I have generally found Honda to be very transparent and customer friendly in all my interactions).

Imagine someone just selecting a different option in billing (and calling it an innocent mistake when caught once in thousands of cases), and at the end of the year, 5 brand new top-end Jazz cars show up in front of your courtyard for free (that's what half a crore will get you).

I would suggest dropping an email to customer_relations@hondacarindia.com to bring it to their notice and ask what steps are they taking to get this practice in check.

@mods, can we pls edit the opening post to add below note:
"The particular dealer continues with this malpractice even with Honda's knowledge, as evidenced in the post https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-dealerships/250289-scam-alert-authorised-dealers-charging-more-engine-oil-than-used-service-3.html#post5294977"

Last edited by rjainv : 11th April 2022 at 12:50.
rjainv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 21:40   #36

Quote:
I would suggest dropping an email to customer_relations@hondacarindia.com to bring it to their notice and ask what steps are they taking to get this practice in check.
Thanks for the advise.

I have dropped an email to Honda seeking official confirmation and what's expected since this is happening across their dealerships. I will update here with the response from Honda India.
Krish_jazzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 01:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zensure View Post
I have quite a different situation. When I get my car (Vento Diesel, 1.6L) after there will be a bootle with oil about 300-400 ml. I was told that it may be needed for top up. I never needed so far and this oil is waste since you can't use that after a year or next service

I did not see any change is cost since it is a standard rate for Service.
Of course you can use it if the oil is stored in a tightly capped bottle in a cool and dry place. I’ve done this all the time but then my running often tops 30k a year.
Old 12th April 2022, 20:21   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish_jazzer View Post
Thanks for the advise.

I have dropped an email to Honda seeking official confirmation and what's expected since this is happening across their dealerships. I will update here with the response from Honda India.
I too dropped a follow-up question to the email I had ongoing with Honda.
now waiting for their response. I pointed them to your case as evidence that the authorized dealer still continues to fleece customers, so higher quantity of engine oil in bill wasn't a mistake but was deliberately done.
I have asked them if they audited other bills at service center to check if other customers are also getting cheated this way and if they have any checks and balances in place now.

Now waiting on their revert.
rjainv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 20:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It is entirely possible they over filled the oil.

The oil filter will take a good 250-300 ml extra oil and people sometimes top the oil sump beyond the maximum shown on the dipstick.
I too have the same query: Won't a new oil filter soak in some oil?

The capacity given in the technical details / manual: Is it including the oil soaked by the filter? If not, a 100ml difference would probably be irrelevant.
Old 13th April 2022, 20:24   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I too have the same query: Won't a new oil filter soak in some oil?

The capacity given in the technical details / manual: Is it including the oil soaked by the filter? If not, a 100ml difference would probably be irrelevant.
I clarified this here. It is 3.0L without filter change vs 3.2L with filter change for Jazz, that's about a 200ml difference that you are expecting. Dealers are charging for 3.6L, that's another 400ml more which they didn't actually fill.

Quote:
Atleast Jazz manual clearly says 3.2L including filter.
So that isn't the case in examples of Jazz above.

https://www.hondacarindia.com/owners...06278046-16251

Attachment 2293996
Old 14th April 2022, 21:57   #41
BHPian

I have a doubt. Considering dealerships are organised companies, wont this create a mismatch in their inventory software and other related areas?. I mean they charged for x quantity and but the actual quantity is less. Or are we saying they will throw away the extra oil and the margin on that extra oil is the intent?
Old 15th April 2022, 07:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
I have a doubt. Considering dealerships are organised companies, wont this create a mismatch in their inventory software and other related areas?. I mean they charged for x quantity and but the actual quantity is less. Or are we saying they will throw away the extra oil and the margin on that extra oil is the intent?
The oil can be resold to local garages or used to change oil on staff owned cars for example.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 15:13   #43
BHPian

Below is what I had got as official response from Honda when i pointed out to them that their dealer continues to overcharge for engine oil quantity.

Quote:
This is in reference to the trailing mail.

Regarding your concern, we would like to mention that the matter has been taken up with the senior management of the dealership.

Our intervention with an intention to satisfy our customers and make a realization for the erroneous staffer/ dealer, we take countermeasures based on the feedback received from our valuable customers. Hence, we request you to treat this incident, in isolation, with an assurance that stringent measures would be taken to curb the reoccurrence in future.

Please be rest assured that the matter is getting evaluated internally to avoid such situation in the future.

Assuring you the best of our products and service at all time.

Kind Regards,
Old 15th June 2022, 23:30   #44

I have got a similar response from Honda India and the dealer refunded the difference amount that was overcharged.

The real issue that the dealer is over charging is not sorted. The dealer person called and explained it was some mistake in entering from the tab used while taken the vehicle for service. I asked for confirmation from Honda India on email that no other person should be over charged next time, but no reply on that.

I believe what we can do is - educate our friends and family to beware of such malpractices followed by the dealers and be careful atleast when they visit the service centres next time. More people catching them may atleast help change their behaviour.
Old 22nd October 2022, 08:44   #45
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
Authorized dealers charging for more engine oil than was used (400ml extra)

I mentioned the engine oil scam discussed here.

Reply from the service center with an excuse:
Scam Alert! Authorised dealers charging for more engine oil than was used in service-image-2.png

Quote:
Requesting for comment from Honda:
Scam Alert! Authorised dealers charging for more engine oil than was used in service-image-3.png

Quote:
(mentioned the Team-BHP thread since it prompted me to check the bills)
Quote:
First reply from Honda that was vague:
Scam Alert! Authorised dealers charging for more engine oil than was used in service-image-4.png

Quote:
Final reply that 3.2 is recommended after additional gruelling:
Scam Alert! Authorised dealers charging for more engine oil than was used in service-image-5.png
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks