Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2022, 11:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Authorised dealer workshop not allowing dashcam | What should I do?

I don't see anything you can do, if it is their official policy. Even if it wasn't, I think it is fair for them to call the shots considering it's private property.

Quote:
The importance here is not only the rule but the way it was conveyed. Wont you feel offended for the way it was put forth.
This works both ways. They might also feel offended when you mentioned you wanted proof in case of mishap.
The video/pic morphing is a real threat (I am not at all implying you would do that) But as an employer, I think they are within their rights to protect their employees.

I would suggest, you not to read much into this incident and move on. In case it still stays with you, switch to a different ASC.
RedTerrano is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 11:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry, but honestly I don’t see anything wrong in not allowing your private camera on in the service center. Infact in Skoda service centers they have clearly put hoardings for no photography and videos. Nobody would want their customers recording all the work they are doing. Thing is it’s a 2 way street, if you are questioning their integrity they have their rights too. We cannot really get offended by their questions.
PS: I am not talking about the way they behaved with you. If they behaved rudely and in appropriately it should definitely be addressed.

Last edited by sunikkat : 12th July 2022 at 11:52.
Old 12th July 2022, 12:17   #18
BHPian

If not allowing dash cam inside dealership is so important why not companies have a circular/advisory for customers mentioning that? Till that is done, they are simply taking advantage of customer's situation and reducing options in case of adverse events. I support OP in pushing for this.

Something may be becoming a market practice but that doesn't make it right. Take the example of service charge. Someone can object and fight it to the top (and win).

Last edited by dsr001 : 12th July 2022 at 12:18.
dsr001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 13:26   #19
BHPian

I see that your main concern is whether your car's service is being done diligently or not, right? Plus the risk of any mishap/mischief with the car? Naturally, most of us would be worried when give our precious asset to a stranger, whether its worth 5 lakh or whether worth 5 crore. Here are some solutions:

1. Short service: Stay in the workshop. Its just a matter of a day after all.

2. Medium term service: if its more than a day's job and may take 2-3 days, then you can ask the SA or the mechanic incharge of your car to call you on video chat to show you the new parts that are being put. Be kind and polite (obviously) and see them cooperate. Also, make sure that your car is parked under a cctv's reach which can be monitored by dealer's staff and footage retrieved if need be.

3. Long service/major accident repair: Do surprise visits as frequently as you can, during your lunch break or leave 1-2 hours early from work (finish the office work quickly or take it home ) and keep asking for the old parts to be handed over back to you.

If we give our car and only show up after the car's ready, there's a big chance that the mechanics may have taken shortcuts/done some malpractices. Greed is getting more common than we'd like, however, an alert consumer is a happy consumer
redohabitat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:02   #20

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
I know Bhpians like to see pictures, snaps or pictorial description of things happening with our cars but unfortunately I won't be able to provide those in this post. Read on to know more.
Were any other fellow Hyundai car owners forced by your respective service centers to take off the dashcam in order to get the car serviced?
It's their property and we have to follow their rules. I generally take pictures of the car inside and outside before giving it to service.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th July 2022 at 14:07. Reason: Mod note attached.
snaga99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:11   #21
BHPian

I think the main concern of the OP is the treatment he has received, the manager can also politely refused, stating the company policy instead of making hue and cry about what Dashcam can capture (women and all!!).
Sach_511 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 16:36   #22
BHPian

As many have pointed out I am ready to move on with the rule as this seems to be the new norm. But the way it was conveyed is not all acceptable at least to me. 8 months back I had visited the same ASC and there was no such rule hence this time I questioned the reason behind the new rule. But for that there was no need to be rude and sarcastic but could have been conveyed in a better way.

Some had asked reg the cctv footage live streaming of my car getting serviced, I left the car in Chandra Hyundai after the AGM mentioned he'll share the link with me and the very next day they said some technical issue and it can't be shared.

Our car is now in their bodyshop for an insurance claim following the service. Hope to get it by tomorrow.
Old 12th July 2022, 17:05   #23
BHPian

Any rule on private property can certainly be enforced by the owner. But a service provider suggesting to a customer that they might doctor dash cam footage and use it for different purposes, is preposterous. The OP also goes to say that his spouse was uncomfortable at the suggestion, and that to me is reason enough to be upset about the situation.
Newtown is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 17:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

If someone has the audacity to say to me that I will doctor a video of the lady staff, I will not hesitate one second before saying that “Unlike you, I have had a good upbringing and dont indulge in such immoral acts of creating doctored videos of females”. This is totally unacceptable from anyone in the service industry of any kind.

For rest of the stuff, it is totally legal (in my opinion) to not allow a dashcam inside the premises. You should not resist and try to have your way with a dashcam on a private property if the owner has an objection.

Lastly, I prefer the human eye over the digital eye. I would rather delay the service than giving the car to a service center and not stay besides it.
PaddleShifter is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:24   #25
BHPian

Last time i had given my car for service at Epitome Kia, Bangalore , i too received my car back with the dashcam cables unplugged. Next day i asked the service manager, and he said its the company policy.
kap04 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

If they were direspectful towards you then you shouldn't be giving them any business like servicing your car. Service centres do have allergies towards dashcams. Even my Maruti guy said dashcams are not allowed. This was when I pointed out that my dashcam mounts should be photographed during the inventory take down before the car is accepted for servicing. I just remove the dashcams before sending the car for service.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 12th July 2022 at 18:49.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:57   #27
BHPian

The number of bad or terrible experiences on my Xcent I have had at the same service center Chandra Hyundai certainly outnumber the good experiences.
And when you complain to Hyundai directly , their service manager calls and says he can’t do much and he is simply calling the customer as it is a formality and he flat out refuses to even listen to your grievance. That’s how well Hyundai’s customer complaint system works. Basically they re route the grievance to the service center and wash their hands off

Their workmanship is also very poor and unfortunately both Chandra and Kovai Hyundai are competing who can deliver the worst possible service.

Comparatively ABT maruti in coimbatore where I service my swift and brezza is much much better.
gb97ce6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 19:57   #28
KGS
BHPian

Even though company might be right in creating some rule and trying to follow it, BUT the words said by AGM is cheap and third class. No customer should be treated like a criminal who is roaming around to create doctored videos.

I would send strong email to the company and keep following it up till the time they officially apologize.

After spending some lakh of my hard earned money on car, I have all right to protect it without harming others. If someone is having any issue, they should politely try to resolve it.

Privacy should be valued for everyone but in this case
1. no one is specifically trying to record one single person on purpose.
2. this is office environment and no one is recording someone's house or intimate conversations.
3. Mostly offices have CCTVs which any way record the day to day activities.
So making this a case against female employees is just plain idiotic logic.

Also, Service provider cannot be rude to the customer. If AGM is having such a cheap mentality and language, I pity the women working in that service centre.

I would strongly recommend OP to avoid such A.S.S .
KGS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 23:05   #29

ASS should have conveyed the company policy in a better and polite way and cannot use highhandedness while dealing with a customer. And if it is new introduction of any rule, they can put up in their notice board as well.

For me statements made by AGM are unacceptable and i would have walked out with the car rather than to deal with such arrogant guys.

Recently i gave my car for service in tata ASS and when returning the car they have un-plugged the cables. When enquired, they politely replied that it is a company policy not to allow any filming inside, instead they said one person can personally watch the happening.
Krishna sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 23:09   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the dealership is fretting big on an unnecessary issue here.

1. For this who defend about CC TVs in the dealership premises, it's for their record what happens in there. On the other hand, a car dashcam is for an 'external party' who is not part of their group.

2. If I had a service centre, I'd ask the employees to stick a black sticker on the windshield of the car to cover the camera !! No questions asked and no trouble given. Take off the sticker once the car is ready for delivery.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks