Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2022, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Authorised dealer workshop not allowing dashcam | What should I do?

I know Bhpians like to see pictures, snaps or pictorial description of things happening with our cars but unfortunately I won't be able to provide those in this post. Read on to know more.

Hyundai India is no longer the customer centric company that it used to be. It has now issued an official statement to its service centers that no photos or videos allowed inside. I even saw the internal circular in print. Why is this new rule being implemented and Could the below thread be the reason for this new rule?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...errerid=131749 (Kia dealer fraud caught on dashcam | Frontier Kia swaps headunit with demo car's)

I visited Chandra Hyundai, Coimbatore for getting my wife's Santro serviced yesterday. The ASM asked me to remove the dashcam if I need to get the car serviced. I politely refused & said that in case of any mishap to the vehicle during service the footage from dashcam acts as a evidence in the court of law as well as insurance companies in case of a claim. So I was taken to AGM Mr Suresh Kumar who was so arrogant & disrespectful and said this is a private property and you cannot film here using a dashcam. He also questioned my morality by saying that they have lady staff working in their concern and I might doctor the footage of the dashcam having them in the video feed and I might use it for other illegal purposes. My wife hearing this felt humiliated and asked me to remove the dashcam and leave their premises leaving the car for service. There was a point where Mr. Suresh was implying remove the dashcam and get your car serviced or take your car and leave as it's Chandra Hyundai's private property.

I tried reaching out to Hyundai Customer Service through call and twitter but it is being redirected to Chandra Hyundai CRM Mr. Shanmugam who doesn't seem to understand my concern at all. My trusted Vista's replacement next year was either i20 or Altroz but Hyundai themselves have solved my confusion. In 11 years of Vista & 7 years of XUV ownership never ever have I faced even a 10% of such harsh & rude treatment at their respective service centers.

Were any other fellow Hyundai car owners forced by your respective service centers to take off the dashcam in order to get the car serviced?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th July 2022 at 12:31. Reason: Grammar; thru > through.
smrtdvl is offline   (89) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 09:49   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Authorised dealer workshop not allowing dashcam | What should I do?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the dealership section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11th July 2022, 10:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you are giving it more importance than it deserves - especially for something that is happening across dealerships across automobile brands (my experience was for MASS outlets). Some of it are taking it as a stringent rule (like the one you experienced), other are much more relaxed. Yes, it's a pity they aren't allowing the dashcams to be on - but it is their property and they can refuse service if they feel so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Were any other fellow Hyundai car owners forced by your respective service centers to take off the dashcam in order to get the car serviced?
Short answer - yes & no.
The Maruti service center that I take my car to in Bangalore also asked me to remove the dashcam. On pointing out that it was not-removable, he suggested this was a rule now and he couldn't take my car for the repair work with the dashcam on.

I suggested he could remove the usb-power cable instead and that was sufficient for him. The other alternative discussed was to remove the memory card (which was discarded against the earlier option).

On a different day in a different service center (one in Chennai), they noticed the dashcam but didn't bring it up probably because I had only gone for a quick check-up.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th July 2022 at 12:32. Reason: Quoted post edited.
ninjatalli is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 10:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Would these centres not have their own CCTtB set up’s, just in case some mishap happens and we need proof?

Whilst I agree that they are well within their remits to deny usage of camera, I don’t think this naturally allows them permission to be rude and treating customers with disdain. More than the dash cam issue, I’ll take the behaviour issue to Hyundai.
jkrishnakj is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 10:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is blatant farce. Any big dealership has CCTV cameras for the SAME usage.

Please tag Hyundai publicly. The staff you spoke to, are following strict orders and therefore they cannot reason. Better, deal with them in the only language they understand - power.

Shame Hyundai into acting.

Near monopolistic dealerships do not care. Brands do.

What I would do is for them to then provide videos over WhatsApp of every major item - oil change / air filter change etc.

Ford and Toyota allow my driver to film on their service center floors for exactly this reason.

Hyundai ORM team, if you're reading this - please reassure the community. What does Chandra Hyundai have to hide?
phamilyman is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 11:14   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My friendly service advisor in Mahindra Sireesh asked me to remove the memory card in the dashcam when the car was being serviced (routine oil change and all).

I said I cant / wont do that. And anyway whenever I am servicing any of my cars, I am usually standing right there watching them doing the work. So he smiled and let it be. Anyway I have a good relationship with them and they do serve me very well indeed.

My dashcams are set up so that they work only when the vehicle is on and being driven. They are not connected to the battery so as to be Live at all times.

Unless of course there is an impact or sudden shake when stationary in which case the emergency recording is triggered and this uses whatever stored battery power is there only.

I think the dealerships by and large dont like records of what all goes on inside.

Also, they may not want dash-cams filming the insides of their workshops and the processes they follow for fear of the images and videos going to their competition, for analysis.

In the Cooper while there is a dashcam I havent encountered any objections because I do not take it to BMW Service, vastly preferring my friendly garage Aeon Motor Works instead.

And I havent put a dashcam in my Gypsy yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I think you are giving it more importance than it deserves - especially for something that is happening across they noticed the dashcam but didn't bring it up probably because I had only gone for a quick check-up.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 11:21   #7
MSC
BHPian

When I went for service, instead of asking to remove the dashcam, they simply twisted the lens upwards so that only thing it captured was the roof of car.
Today's Hyundai is not the one which most customers loved and were proud off.
It's just simple thing, it's my way or the highway. They don't bother at all. The things are even worse where there is a single dealer/ service centre in entire town.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th July 2022 at 19:14. Reason: Typo
MSC is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 11:29   #8
BHPian

Why this fuss.
Take out the camera and instead watch the car getting serviced, which I am sure camera cannot cover. Moreover even if there is an accident with your car, you have signed on too many dotted lines which absolves service center of any responsibility for any damages and same can be claimed through insurance, although they do oblige when asked to rectify on their cost.

Most of the camera can be dismounted leaving the cables in place. Tie them up and inform service adviser about it. I do the same. Camera can also be damaged by cleaning guys, again you can’t do much in that case.
Wanderers is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 11:37   #9
BHPian

Though dashcams have revealed many service centers issues / scams, I believe it doesn't deserve to lose your patience on this. If your dashcam is permanently fixed, you should either disconnect it from the power supply, remove the SD card in it and inform the service advisor that you have a dashcam fixed and you've left it in the car since it can't be removed. I always handover my vehicle with dashcams removed (both front and rear). What if someone at the service center steal your dashcam? Service centers normally ask the customer to take away all the valuables or gadgets from the vehicle before leaving it for service and they won't take any responsibility if something that you kept inside is stolen.All you can do is to validate if all the services & spare replacements done correctly as per the final invoice before you take the vehicle back home.
bajoseph04 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 12:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I think you are giving it more importance than it deserves - especially for something that is happening across dealerships across automobile brands (my experience was for MASS outlets). .
The importance here is not only the rule but the way it was conveyed. Wont you feel offended for the way it was put forth.
I have removed the powering adaptor as I was not able to remove the cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Would these centres not have their own CCTtB set up’s, just in case some mishap happens and we need proof?

Whilst I agree that they are well within their remits to deny usage of camera, I don’t think this naturally allows them permission to be rude and treating customers with disdain. More than the dash cam issue, I’ll take the behaviour issue to Hyundai.
Exactly that is what am talking about. The AGM promised me he will provide live streaming link of the work that'll be carried initially and the next day they say there is some issue with their CCTV link sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Ford and Toyota allow my driver to film on their service center floors for exactly this reason.

Hyundai ORM team, if you're reading this - please reassure the community. What does Chandra Hyundai have to hide?
The same with Mahindra & TATA as well. I have never been asked to remove the dashcam at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My dashcams are set up so that they work only when the vehicle is on and being driven. They are not connected to the battery so as to be Live at all times.
The same with all my dash cams. Infact the one in my vista is almost 8yrs old and till date I haven't watched any videos from it as it's an old model without WiFi so the memory card has to removed to watch any videos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Today's Hyundai is not the one which most customers loved and were proud off
Agreed. I really did not expect to be treated the way I was treated and can't imagine what would have happened if my wife walked in alone and stood her ground on this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Why this fuss.
Take out the camera and instead watch the car getting serviced, which I am sure camera cannot cover.
I have removed the powering adaptor and gave it for service. They initially said they'll provide me the link for the live streaming but later denied stating some technical issue.

Last edited by smrtdvl : 11th July 2022 at 12:32.
smrtdvl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 12:53   #11
BHPian

I agree the attitude of the service center guys need to be addressed. You should report the same to Hyundai where you should focus more on their attitude towards your request rather than arguing with them on why you were not allowed to use the dashcam. The first point will yield better outcome which hyundai may take it seriously.
bajoseph04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 14:25   #12
BHPian

I don't think it's fair to call a company "no longer customer centric" just because they are not allowing dash cams.

While there is absolutely no excuse for them being rude and disrespectful, I think service centers are quite justified in not allowing dash cams.

What sort of mishaps could the dashcams catch? If there's anything more than trivial damage, or to the body/paint, there's no way they could fix it before a few days (or before their promised delivery time). By then, you can always insist that you want to see your car about the delay. You can also insist on seeing their CCTVs too, in case of major issues.

Also, the dashcam is not going to cover all areas - so if they're committing a fraud by changing parts, etc from the engine bay - they are going to be smart enough to make sure that it's not going to get recorded in the dashcam's field of view.

As someone said, they could just simply disconnect the USB, cover the lens with a cloth, change the lens direction, etc during service, and revert it before they deliver the car to you - and they don't have to provide any justification if you ask why.

To give you an analogy, do you think the following is comfortable:
  • A dashcam right behind your computer screen, recording exactly what you're doing, if you're an IT professional
  • A dashcam insisted by a patient if you're a doctor/nurse to have a record of the procedure.
  • A dashcam insisted by parents to "know" what's happening, in their child's subject classes or coaching classes
I do agree that there could be grey areas here, where the overall benefits might outweigh privacy - but it's debatable.

Remember that a dashcam also records sounds - and nobody would want their private conversations (whatever that may be) being recorded and heard by 3rd parties. Privacy is not a non-issue, even though it is a commercial establishment.

Last edited by PearlJam : 11th July 2022 at 14:28.
PearlJam is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 15:13   #13
BHPian

My car was due for a technical inspection, which, all cars in Europe must undergo every 2 years. I took it to a local inspection center and the person on the floor asked me to dismount the camera. Not just the camera, he asked me to dismount the mobile holder too. I'm not sure if it was for technical purpose to inspect the car or to disallow my camera to record the ongoing process. He wouldn't proceed unless I did. I had no option but to yield to his request.

Nonetheless, I believe, since it was a private property, they have every right to decline your request. But, I certainly do not support their way of behaviour. I guess it could be a fallout of the problem Maruti service center faced after a dashcam recording went viral.
Simha.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 09:06   #14
BHPian

They are within their right to not allow footage within their own premises. Given how pushy some of Indian customers can be, I would agree with them. They have not consented to be monitored and recorded while servicing so they have a right to do so. Delaership is not a public space.
Old 12th July 2022, 10:08   #15

I've been told the same across VW Service (VW Salem, VW white field) center also.

It seems like a norm by the service centers to remove the dash camera/disconnect them. I have a hardwired dash cam, whose contacts were removed and fixed later during delivery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks