Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2019, 12:05   #61
BHPian

Re: BMW 320d Hydrostatic Lock: Insurance company not covering it

Hi Guys,

Posting on this forum after ages but my BMW X1 got stalled in water two days ago and thankfully I have Engine Protector cover.

Car is in the workshop and the survey has been done within a day and I am told that the surveyor has given an approval for flushing out the water to start with and then check the compression ratio of each cylinder to decide next course of action.

My BMW service advisor tells me that even if one single part of the engine is broken, BMW will replace the complete engine as for the new X1, Company does not supply any child parts of the Engine!

While I won't complain if I get a new power unit but is this usual or is BMW trying to make money using my insurance cover?

The advisor checked and found the air filter wet and found traces of metal in dip stick - don't know what that means!

If an engine is actually to get replaced, how long should I expect before I get my car back? Any prior experience will surely help!
Old 4th August 2019, 12:12   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_driver View Post

My BMW service advisor tells me that even if one single part of the engine is broken, BMW will replace the complete engine as for the new X1, Company does not supply any child parts of the Engine!
Correct, they don't replace any mechanical parts in this situation (Piston/ CrankShaft). Since X1 is CKD, you should be able to get the engine pretty fast from the factory.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 21:52   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harusadu View Post
As of now, the car is still in the dealership and it is still in LIMBO between the insurance and the dealership.
Hi OP. This thread that has a lot of very good advise and suggestions from members here seems to have no input from you informing all on the outcome. When a thread is started for advice and suggestions, both of which were freely given and with good intent, could you please update us on the outcome? It will help another member or surfer if they should ever, god forbid, find themselves in your predictment. Thank you and I'm hoping that things worked out for you.
Moontan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 16:14   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
please update us on the outcome?
Going by this post..
Quote:
Hey everyone. I'm facing the same issue that midnight faced. It's with BMW in Chennai. They're refusing to return around 50K for my advance On a New 5 series. Does anyone know how I should go about this. We were never told of any cancellations charged throughout the affair. Plus i took them over 4 months that just to return the partial amount. Who do I contact? Should I call BMW India? Does anyone have any information on whom I should message?
I don't know what happened with the water damaged car, but it looks like OP went with a new car going by this post.
Or at least tried to.
Radio silence ever since the last post.

Last edited by viXit : 30th August 2020 at 16:16.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 16:29   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_driver View Post
Hi Guys,

If an engine is actually to get replaced, how long should I expect before I get my car back? Any prior experience will surely help!
Hi, hope your problem gets solved quickly.

My wife's 1 series (118dsport) developed an engine problem (excessive oil consumption) and the engine was replaced by BMW under BSI. It took nearly a month to get the car back.
Old 21st September 2020, 01:57   #66

Quote:
I'm in a bit of a tough boat at the moment. I have insurance policy with Bharti Axa and it was a cheaper one than he had in the prior years of the life of the BMW 320D. One of the main things thats not covered under this policy is Hydrostatic Lock.

The Incident:
I was driving the vehicle during some stormy weather and was trying to get home as soon as possible. During this time I encountered a small area of water. It was not very deep and I had no choice but to drive through it because there boards and plastic sheets flying towards me. As I drove through it, the unthinkable happened. The car stalled on me. Now this area of water wasn't that deep but within minutes of the car stalling the water level rose and at this point was just under the lights of my car. Now I know that if the car stalled due to water, I am to not start it and thats exactly what happened. I left the car and had to wait out the storm and water. I didn't expect the water level to rise but it did and I immediately called for the BMW roadside assistance. They only came by the next morning around 10 AM. During this time, while I was away from the car, what seems like a JCB or other tractor had pushed my car off the main road and onto the side. I have no idea who did this but it left me livid. I know my car was blocking the road but not entirely and only on one part. After this the car was towed and taken straight to the BMW showroom in Chennai for inspection.

What I experienced next was some of the worst communication I have ever received. It has been 2 months and only now have I received a quote on what the repair for the car is. I've been quoted a whopping 16L. I've been left absolutely clueless. In my eyes my car stalled on me and the water rose, it was a failure on the part of the vehicle. Its not like I drove into 4 feet of water rendering my car useless. Further I didn't even start the car know the dangers and this is the situation I am in. They've told me I have hydrostatic lock and other such things. I don't understand how this can cost me so much. Is there anything I can do to make sure the Insurance company covers me. At the moment they're being very shady and attempting to say that because you don't have hydrostatic lock, we won't cover you. However, the car stalled on me and then nature took its course, I could do nothing to stop any other damage. Does anyone have advice? Even if s hydrostatic lock, shouldn't insurance cover me because the hydrostatic lock was a result of my car stalling and not an issue that occurred on its own?

Any help would be appreciated.
I do understand that its a bit too late for this reply, but for the sake of those who go through this mayhem every year, it can only be covered, if you did not try starting the car (this preventing the hydrostatic lock). If its only an inundation, the car shall be ready to go with a good overhauling, which is payable in an Insurance claim (as peril of "Inundation" is covered.) In other words, and in a simple lay man's language - If you find your car in a knee deep water, do not attempt at starting it, rather let the water level recede and get your car towed for overhauling. Do take photos of the water level at the time of your findings.
Old 21st September 2020, 02:37   #67

Quote:
I'm in a bit of a tough boat at the moment. I have insurance policy with Bharti Axa and it was a cheaper one than he had in the prior years of the life of the BMW 320D. One of the main things thats not covered under this policy is Hydrostatic Lock.

The Incident:
I was driving the vehicle during some stormy weather and was trying to get home as soon as possible. During this time I encountered a small area of water. It was not very deep and I had no choice but to drive through it because there boards and plastic sheets flying towards me. As I drove through it, the unthinkable happened. The car stalled on me. Now this area of water wasn't that deep but within minutes of the car stalling the water level rose and at this point was just under the lights of my car. Now I know that if the car stalled due to water, I am to not start it and thats exactly what happened. I left the car and had to wait out the storm and water. I didn't expect the water level to rise but it did and I immediately called for the BMW roadside assistance. They only came by the next morning around 10 AM. During this time, while I was away from the car, what seems like a JCB or other tractor had pushed my car off the main road and onto the side. I have no idea who did this but it left me livid. I know my car was blocking the road but not entirely and only on one part. After this the car was towed and taken straight to the BMW showroom in Chennai for inspection.

What I experienced next was some of the worst communication I have ever received. It has been 2 months and only now have I received a quote on what the repair for the car is. I've been quoted a whopping 16L. I've been left absolutely clueless. In my eyes my car stalled on me and the water rose, it was a failure on the part of the vehicle. Its not like I drove into 4 feet of water rendering my car useless. Further I didn't even start the car know the dangers and this is the situation I am in. They've told me I have hydrostatic lock and other such things. I don't understand how this can cost me so much. Is there anything I can do to make sure the Insurance company covers me. At the moment they're being very shady and attempting to say that because you don't have hydrostatic lock, we won't cover you. However, the car stalled on me and then nature took its course, I could do nothing to stop any other damage. Does anyone have advice? Even if s hydrostatic lock, shouldn't insurance cover me because the hydrostatic lock was a result of my car stalling and not an issue that occurred on its own?

Any help would be appreciated.
I read it once again. Its a gone case unless you have the following things:
A CCTV footage or a GPS device history, Google maps location which can show you that you were traveling and entered the ingress. Inundation peril is covered, so you can go ahead and discuss with the surveyor.

What everyone might interpret is (interpretation of surveyor): You started the ignition, which is then a gross negligence and then your claim is not payable. The piston deviation in the chamber and the degree of the rod bending shall bring out the truth, so be specifically sure about what actually happened that day and then go ahead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks