Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 23:14   #1351
BHPian

Need Help on Renewal

In February I purchased a 1996 E220 and did the RC and Insurance transfer within a week of Purchase. At the time of purchase the car was insured by HDFC Ergo and the premium mentioned in the policy was around 5800. For transfer they asked me to pay Rs.450 as transfer and other charges and later they issued a policy document in my name for around Rs.6200. Its up for renewal on 29th September. When I called up their call centre, they didnt reply properly and when I shouted at them they are saying that they dont insure cars which are more than 10 years old. They are not responding to any of my queries. Somewhere I read that the existing insurer can't refuse a renewal. Please advise.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:32   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
Its up for renewal on 29th September. When I called up their call centre, they didnt reply properly and when I shouted at them they are saying that they dont insure cars which are more than 10 years old. They are not responding to any of my queries. Somewhere I read that the existing insurer can't refuse a renewal. Please advise.
For new entry also they can't say no that's a law but as far as renewal is concern they have to do it.

If you don't want to fight then go to any nationalized insurance company and get the insurance done. Private insurance company may not do the insurance easily.
Old 16th September 2010, 12:49   #1353
BHPian

total loss claim

My brother's 6 yr old zen got totalled in an accident. It is a total loss claim. I would like to know the following. The IDV is 1,18,000.
1. How much will the insurance pay?
2.What will happen to the damaged car? will it be auctioned?
3.If so, Who does the auction? and who gets the proceedings?
4.Is it an automatic process or do we have to initiate it?
5.How much time does the entire process take in general?
Old 16th September 2010, 13:03   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
1. How much will the insurance pay?
2.What will happen to the damaged car? will it be auctioned?
3.If so, Who does the auction? and who gets the proceedings?
4.Is it an automatic process or do we have to initiate it?
5.How much time does the entire process take in general?
1. Full amount minus excess.
2. Since you are getting the claim amount in total, you should not worry too much but for your information that car is sold to debris collector (Bhan-ggar-wala)
3. Insurance company
4. You don't have to do anything.
5. Normally this is a time consuming procedure but this should take month or month and a half.
Old 16th September 2010, 15:39   #1355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
1. Full amount minus excess.
2. Since you are getting the claim amount in total, you should not worry too much but for your information that car is sold to debris collector (Bhan-ggar-wala)
3. Insurance company
4. You don't have to do anything.
5. Normally this is a time consuming procedure but this should take month or month and a half.
Thanks for a quick reply. I have a few more querries.
Does total amount mean IDV?
What is excess? Someone told me that the insurance pays IDV after deducting scrap value and then I have to negotiate with debris collector for the scrap.
My car had brand new tyres ( a week old) will that make any difference?
Thanks once again. Your reply has given a lot of insight.
Old 16th September 2010, 17:11   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
1. Does total amount mean IDV?
2. What is excess?
3. Someone told me that the insurance pays IDV after deducting scrap value and then I have to negotiate with debris collector for the scrap.
4. My car had brand new tyres ( a week old) will that make any difference?
1. Yes
2. Please check your policy copy, somewhere on the main page it must be written as minimum deductible.
3. Wrong information sirji.
4. You will get "IDV - Excess = Claim payable" Your new tyre's value will not be payable. (You can get this only if you have insured them separately in your policy.)
Old 16th September 2010, 23:06   #1357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
For new entry also they can't say no that's a law but as far as renewal is concern they have to do it.

If you don't want to fight then go to any nationalized insurance company and get the insurance done. Private insurance company may not do the insurance easily.
Dear Mr. Vora,

Thanks for the reply. In this regard today I went to their office in person and requested for renewal. They mentioned to me that they need to have the renewal notice to do the renewal. When I asked them to provide me one, they said that they will place a request to Bombay and will provide the quote in the evening. When I called them up in the evening, that concerned person didnt pick my call. This shows their high handedness and in the meanwhile I am planning to approach the public insurer and I will also take HDFC to task.
Old 17th September 2010, 08:34   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
I will also take HDFC to task.
Write them a letter asking them for premium and ask them to reply before the due date. You can visit them and tell them "I will not leave your office until they tell you the premium & collect the cheque." Once they accept your cheque PLEASE collect the receipt on the spot. (OR a letter will also do, OR take there sign and stamp on the xerox copy of your cheque.)

Remember you are the customer and you are the KING.
Old 19th September 2010, 00:35   #1359
BHPian

Hello,

Just got my NHC insured with Bajaj.
IDV 3,60,000
NCB 35%
Premium 6300
Previous policy (Reliance) expiring 29 Sep 2010

I paid the check yesterday. A representative from Bajaj came today and said he wanted to do inspection of the car. I said ok. Then he started clicking pictures of my car from every angle. Then he asked me to open bonnet. He clicked a couple of pics there too. Then again pictures from back, front, sides etc.
This has never happened before for any of my cars ! Is this a new policy of Bajaj or other companies?
There some scratches here and there and the bumper is nicked a little. Will Bajaj dishonour any future claim i make, saying that they have pictures that damage is old? I feel uncomfortable.

Last edited by guptavis : 19th September 2010 at 00:36.
Old 20th September 2010, 09:34   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
A representative from Bajaj came today and said he wanted to do inspection of the car. I said ok.
Since your existing policy is there for 29th Sept. 2010. then there is no need for survey Why he needed a survey? If there is an agent in between you and the company tell him you will not take the policy, if there is no agent and you have approached the company directly then visit the branch form where he had come and tell them you need the refund and you will take other companies policy.

Survey is done only if there is a break in the renewal.
Old 20th September 2010, 10:01   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Vora Bhai,

Need some expert advice from you. My Fiesta's insurance renewal is due on 14th November and I am scouting for the renewal options. I have presently the insurance from ICICI Lombard and your posts earlier have shown your dislike for ICICI and Reliance.

Although I haven't got the Insurance renewal notcie, I have been browsing to get a good deal on the premium. I happened to look the website apna insurance.com to get a comparitive premium from the various Insurers available. Would it be right if I pay an increased premium for an higher IDV or should I retain the IDV and pay a lower premium. Which Insurers should I be looking for? Surprisingly ICICI Lombard has quoted the least. Pls advise
Old 21st September 2010, 14:30   #1362
BHPian

Is it possible to cancel insurance policy?

Hi,

My insurance policy going to expire 22nd mindnight. Earlier, I took it from Bajaj Allianze. Now, I gave a cheque to Reliance for insurance renewal on 14th Sep, 2010. Till today, they havent submitted the cheque for clearance. I had called them repeatedly for an update. I dont want to hear any surprises after my insurance gets expired (and I would like the cheque to clear before my insurance expires).

I am thinking of renewing the insurance policy from bajaj alliance (by paying through credit/debit card).
Is it possible to cancel the reliance insurance policy? [I can block the cheque; but, I would like to renew the insurance before blocking the cheque; and there is possibility of cheque getting cleared in-between].

What do you guys suggest? This is sort of frustrating experience for me. I will never, ever deal with Reliance.

Thanks,
Chandra
Old 21st September 2010, 22:51   #1363
BHPian

Here is an update:

I called up reliance agent in the evening (~6pm), asked him whether he can provide a written statement saying the insurance will continue even if reliance doesnt submit the cheque by the due date. He said, he will send SMS saying; I asked him to send at least e-mail from his reliance ID. He didnt respond to that.

Later, called up bank found the status of cheque, it wasnt cleared by that time.

Later called bajaj allianz folks, paid the amount through credit card and got receipt.

This is a frustrating experience for me. I shouldnt have tried Reliance at all. When I call reliance customer support, they respond saying -- talk to your branch/agent; when I call up agent, he says -- I had submitted cheques, find out the status online. Well, I can easily guess why people are frustrated with reliance.
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:50   #1364
BHPian

Here is an update and summary of my experience with Reliance and Bajaj.

I got my policy renewed from Bajaj and they send me soft-copy of the policy.

Now the comparison part of it:

There is huge difference in customer service of Bajaj and Reliance. Bajaj guys are prompt and they didnt hide any details. Like: They said the receipt that I got after the payment is *not* a cover note (they didnt try to hide the truth), at the same time they said the policy will be renewed in 24-hrs and I'll get the soft-copy of policy in 2-days (they are prompt, everything done on time).

Now, I'll compare the above smooth & hassle-free interaction with my painful/frustrating experience with Reliance:

I gave cheque for insurance renewal on 14th Sept. Called the execs on 17th Sept - the policy details are not even registered in their database. Later made repeated calls/follow-ups to reliance agent to make entry of my policy. I checked status of cheque on 20th, its still not sent for clearance. Called both reliance agent and his manager. The response I got was - we dispatched the cheques for 'risk' department, they will handle it. I called up Reliance customer care, the response I got was - please contact your agents, we dont have any information about the cheque.
Same thing happened on 21st also, my policy is about to expire and the reliance guys were not even bothered about that. The manager gave a verbal note that - he is going to support me and make sure that I'll get benefits of insurance if some thing happens to my car during the non-insured period. I asked him to provide a written note of the same; he said - he will send SMS saying so and not a mail or document. This is at 6pm of 21st September. Heights of recklessness towards customers (I am not even a customer by that time, just a prospective customer).

Later called Bajaj guys and everything went smoothly.

If you are in dilemma in choosing between Bajaj and Reliance, I will say - dont even think - blindly go for Bajaj. Their customer service is much better than Reliance (any day).
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:32   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
My Fiesta's insurance renewal is due on 14th November and I am scouting for the renewal options. I have presently the insurance from ICICI Lombard and your posts earlier have shown your dislike for ICICI and Reliance.

Although I haven't got the Insurance renewal notcie, I have been browsing to get a good deal on the premium. I happened to look the website apna insurance.com to get a comparitive premium from the various Insurers available. Would it be right if I pay an increased premium for an higher IDV or should I retain the IDV and pay a lower premium. Which Insurers should I be looking for? Surprisingly ICICI Lombard has quoted the least. Pls advise
Stay away from Icici.

Increasing IDV from last year without any valid reason will not help you in case there is a claim tomorrow. Icici may give you cheaper quotes but let me tell you I am yet to see a bunch of people who are really happy with them.

If you are not driving very old car then I would advice you to check a policy from Bajaj & Tata which have add-on covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maven View Post
If you are in dilemma in choosing between Bajaj and Reliance, I will say - dont even think - blindly go for Bajaj. Their customer service is much better than Reliance (any day).
As I have been saying

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks