Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2013, 09:55   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Design flaws and cost cutting in Indian cars

Reg. Turn signal near Headlamp issue:

Yes fellow members, I indeed wanted to say that it is only a problem with high beam on. This way, even the amber colored turn indicators are not visible from the front.

IMO, the older style of incorporating turn signals in the lower bumper area had better visibility, but probably not tune in modern designing trends.

Just my thought.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 18:28   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Would like to post about a design flaw...could be a case with many cars but I will point out about the Zen Estilo, as I have experienced.

The Zen Estilo has a provision to add a double DIN (or a single DIN) music system which is positioned at the top most part on the middle of the dashboard.

Inherently, all music systems have displays, some lights and illuminated switches for easy operation. However, the placement of the music system in the Estilo results in a lot of eye fatigue and distraction, esp. during night drives as the music system's illumination is always in the sight of the driver while he is looking to the road.

People driving the car may have gotten themselves habituated but I am sure that most people who are used to have stereos in the conventional position, in the lower side of the dashboard will face this problem.

What do you guys say about it?
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 02:50   #258
BHPian

Very interesting topic and after becoming familiar with my mom's VW Polo Trendline I can appreciate some of the comments.

First off the indicator / wiper stalks configuration...While a large part of the 'discomfort' is indeed owing to my familiarity with the 'normal' asian / indian configuration, I have consciously noticed that sometimes (like 1 out of 10 turnings) a lot of gear shift while making the turn forces me to delay or advance using the indicator stalk with my left hand .. and delay / advance which I feel is not the best timing. This never happens in cars with 'conventional' stalks since the right hand on the wheel is free to push/pull the stalk whenever my brain thinks is the best time.
I certainly believe this is bad design if not a flaw.

The window design is even less a flaw and more a matter of aesthetics. I'm sure a lot of folks would be unhappy if VW introduced a quarter glass and a full plunging residual window.

One somewhat peculiar feature in the Polo is the petrol tank cover. I don't know if they've changed this for later models but in my car (2010 April delivery) there is no release switch, anyone can open it by pressing it -- somehow it's very disconcerting and I dare say this is also bad design

The single reverse light is maddening ! Leave aside illumination, I worry that in the dark an onlooker might mistake the single light for a 2-wheeler. Seriously, given that 80 or 90 percent of the Indian MV market has dual reverse lights, these carmakers should display a bit of sensitivity in 'adjusting' to our orientation. How important can it be to them to retain an idiosyncrasy such as this. I've lost track of the number of times taxi drivers and parking attendants have helpfully pointed out the 'missing' reverse light.

The last feature which I think could have been redesigned a bit is the very close (inner) placement of the indicator bulbs to the headlight lamps -- it seems to me that the location makes it a bit hard for others to see the indicator especially with the headlights on.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 19:40   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
One somewhat peculiar feature in the Polo is the petrol tank cover. I don't know if they've changed this for later models but in my car (2010 April delivery) there is no release switch, anyone can open it by pressing it -- somehow it's very disconcerting and I dare say this is also bad design
The EcoSport is similar - its tied into your central locking. So if you lock your car (from inside or outside) this is locked.

Abroad, there has been a trend for fuel thieves to force open this panel and steal fuel. So now, there's a trend for people to replace the normal inner screw-type cap with a cap that takes a key.

Talk about a step backward - I remember Ambys having a fuel cap that took a key!!
Old 24th September 2014, 20:31   #260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One somewhat peculiar feature in the Polo is the petrol tank cover. I don't know if they've changed this for later models
Quote:
The last feature which I think could have been redesigned a bit is the very close (inner) placement of the indicator bulbs to the headlight lamps -- it seems to me that the location makes it a bit hard for others to see the indicator especially with the headlights on.
I think the fuel lid thing is there in my Yeti, unaware of other Skoda's. But from what I have heard, that you can no longer steal fuel in the conventional method (pipe inside the tank) Though am not sure.

The amber lit indicator won't be visible if you are in high beam mode (mentioned by Saket earlier) Means, you are blinding the oncoming traffic (to some extent) as well as not hinting enough that you are about to change lanes or take a turn, U turn etc. I ALWAYS shift to low beam while signalling.

Though, I must also agree, that the indicator's position should be changed.

Have never understood one fog lamp and one reverse lamp theory. Indian manufacturers do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The EcoSport is similar - its tied into your central locking. So if you lock your car (from inside or outside) this is locked.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 20:34   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I think the fuel lid thing is there in my Yeti, unaware of other Skoda's. But from what I have heard, that you can no longer steal fuel in the conventional method (pipe inside the tank) Though am not sure.
What compounds the problem is that the "central locking" in the Polo only prevents the doors from being opened from outside. when I was new to the car, a couple of time this put me in an embarrassing spot when I went to refuel. After stopping at the fuel dispenser and telling the attendant the quantity I realise he's not able to open!! 2-3 others try without success, smearing the lid with oil from their fingers in the process. Meanwhile the vehicles in queue are getting irate and I am left with the humiliating option of exiting the pump due to not knowing how the lid comes off. The attendant has already asked me if the central locking is on to which I reply 'no' (since I opened the door to step out without issue). Finally as a shot in the dark I switched the locking off and it worked. Otherwise I fear the next attendant would have broken the lid with brute force.
Old 26th September 2014, 12:24   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I think the fuel lid thing is there in my Yeti, unaware of other Skoda's.
Rapid's fuel lid is linked to the central locking. You need to unlock the doors to open the fuel lid.

Quote:
since I opened the door to step out without issue
Doesn't opening the door disengage central locking and the fuel lid lock along with it? At least in my Rapid, that's the case and I don't see the issue in it.

But a blaring cost cutting measure by Skoda in the Rapid Elegance - The car comes with 15" wheels while the spare is a 14".

And I agree with the other posters who say that the indicator stalk should be on the RHS of the steering wheel. The good thing about it being on the LHS is that I find myself indicating much earlier than in my i10 to take a turn.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks