Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 11:04   #151
BHPian

re: Design flaws and cost cutting in Indian cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
@ Daewood, you are mistaken dude. I own Merc C-Class Executive 220 CDI and she came with body colored Door/ Boot handles.
I saw a white Merc C-class in our office parking with Black door handles recently. Even the website says Black handle for boot, but doesn't mention anything about door handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Design flaws and cost cutting in Indian cars-cclass.jpg  

Old 5th July 2011, 11:45   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
How exactly adding a quarter glass would help this problem? Besides that, it's a common thing for many cars including large/medium sedans.
Sorry, it's not a design flaw and or any cost cutting process. It's just design. Lifting a design from LHD doesn't work that easy or cheap.
Above mentioned issues (as you raised) are not really cost cutting measure (except for single reverse lamp instead of two). Cost cutting starts somewhere else.

Spend some time on this huge treasure trove. You'll know more.

Welcome to TBHP.
Well...
1.on the quarter glass issue: If you notice the quarter glass is the portion right above the wheel arch. Hence when it doesnt roll down, there is no question of the window not coming down all the way. Hence keeping the quarter glass affixed the rest of the glass can roll down without the arch coming in its way.

2. Stalks: Well design flaw might not be the right term, but Logan introduced this trend of cost cutting, all of the configurations were as per the LHS, the wiper movement included as well. So yes its cost cutting and not done just for a style statement.

3.Reverse Lamp: Logan again! got this trend..followed by SX4 (I dont care what came first!), Well no way can a single light be sufficient to do the job of 2, and it is a safety feature which cannot be compromised with as compared to a vanity mirror on the sun visor or ticket holder.

Take the Renault Fluence for Example, the boot release is placed near the passenger legroom area and not the driver, the handbrake is close to the passenger and not the driver ...the list goes on.
Old 5th July 2011, 16:51   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood
I saw a white Merc C-class in our office parking with Black door handles recently. Even the website says Black handle for boot, but doesn't mention anything about door handle.
I just checked pics of my car as I am in USA currently, and it does have Matt black boot lid but door handles are all body colored for sure. The car you saw must have after market mods.
Old 5th July 2011, 19:49   #154
BHPian

For me the cost cutting on cosmetics doesn't bother much.. What really bothers me is inferior build quality, think metal sheets that are eager to get dented, poor paint quality etc where manufactures are really making a fortune. A single reverse light or non painted door handle may not save a lot for manufacturers but minimum use of Steel, low quality paints, Audio systems, low quality buttons does save a whole lot !!!
Lets take my Manza - Though it's a well rounded sedan, i was hating the stock music system. I was shocked to see that Tata had plonked a Rs 400 worth back speakers into Manza which was sounding terrible even with 2-din system. Moreover the speakers weren't from any respectable vendor, it seems like they provide speaker system for the sake of it !!! I mean these are the bizarre cost cutting we are subjected to ...
Old 6th July 2011, 07:38   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive
Just came across this thread and read skimmed through it.........
The indicator and headlight switches need to be on the right as they are always accessible with the right hand dedicated to steering. The left moves between steering and gear, so the low priority stalk for wiper needs to be on left. That makes for another point, the power window controls should be in the center console ( near gear/ hand break ) as the left hand is easy to spare for window operations.

So coming to a sort of conclusion, all high priority controls need to be right hand operated and all low priority controls to be on the left. ( I thinks that's why US. Has a higher percentage of left handed people ).
Old 6th July 2011, 10:59   #156
BHPian

Another Shocking omission prevalent these days is the absence of Heat & sound absorbing Insulaton on the underside of bonnet & many Costly cars(in their segments) are skipping this feature like Nissan Micra dCi, VW Polo Petrol.

Another one; Although the absence of Rear Power Windows in Figo is clearly a cost cutting one but thinking wisely it's a boon to the car users as IMHO it can act as biggest saviour at the times of Passengers sitting in a car without having the key of the car or in the case of Failed electricals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilanjar View Post
Take the Renault Fluence for Example, the boot release is placed near the passenger legroom area and not the driver, the handbrake is close to the passenger and not the driver ...the list goes on.
Leave alone these minor things, IMHO the biggest flaw with this car is its Start-Stop button which is located at the extreme end of its dashboard towards the co-passenger side. Kids or any co-passenger can easily mess with this button while on the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
That makes for another point, the power window controls should be in the center console ( near gear/ hand break ) as the left hand is easy to spare for window operations.
I disagree with this.
Have you ever Driven Indica V2 or Nano LX or Logan as these cars comes with Floor Console & Dashboard central console mounted Power windows switches respectively & IMHO its a big pain to look, search & operate these buttons in the centre of a car while looking outside the window on the opposite side.
Another big problem is that the Driver especially needs to crouch to operate these switches on floor console.
So in these ways Right Armrest mounted Power window & Central locking controls are Superior & Versatile than Cost saving Central ones.

Last edited by CRtorquefan : 6th July 2011 at 11:05. Reason: Text editing
Old 6th July 2011, 12:51   #157
BHPian

^^^ I disagree partially. The vehicles you mentioned have a bad design, but it's implemented better in Scorpio. It falls right at hand and are easy to operate without looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilanjar
the same flaw exists in Scorpio for fuel lid button, it's on the passenger side and the kids often hit it.

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2011 at 14:31. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing back to back posts.
Old 25th October 2012, 20:30   #158
BHPian

Impractical Designs on Indian cars

There are designs that blend with functionality very well. However, there are some designs that are not only for pure cosmetic purposes, but score really low on functionality.

Eg - IMO, I find the rear tail lights of the older VW Jetta (round one) really bothersome as the turn indicators are housed within the brake light cluster and if you are any close to the vehicle and the indicators are blinking, there are very high chances of you not noticing it clearly and may end up in a not so good situation.

Pen down any other design elements you find in cars (in India!) that can be really a concern during a demanding situation!
Old 25th October 2012, 22:37   #159
Senior - BHPian

Re: Impractical Designs on Indian cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
..Pen down any other design elements you find in cars (in India!) that can be really a concern during a demanding situation!
Here's a superb discussion on similar lines. You may like to read this!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 25th October 2012 at 22:39.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 10:38   #160
BHPian

What is the correct position of the fuel lid? I noticed that all Japanese and Korean cars have it on the Port side, while European ones have it on the Starboard (i.e. on the driver side) ... was wondering if there is any safety implication.
Old 26th October 2012, 13:10   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
What is the correct position of the fuel lid? I noticed that all Japanese and Korean cars have it on the Port side, while European ones have it on the Starboard (i.e. on the driver side) ... was wondering if there is any safety implication.
Almost all Indian cars too have fuel lids on the port side. Reason is, in countries like India, the fuel is dispensed by a manned fuel dispenser. In most of Europe and America the fuel is self serviced. So having a fuel lid on the driver side makes sense, less of walking and more of safety, that is the driver is close to his controls and can observe if someone makes into the car etc.
Old 26th October 2012, 13:54   #162
BHPian

It could be only one reason we follow 'keep left', so the dispenser platform in most of the bunks are fixed on to the left hand side in Indian cars. European use RHS for the driving hence fuel lid on the right. This is serious cost cutting. let me tell what are the things need to change. Body shell needs alteration, Fuel tank mouth should be changed to left, changes in petrol/diesel hoses, Silencer must be shifted to the other side, most importantly the floor board towards the end can muffler needs change as most european cars have perfectly arranged underside. There are no laws that fuel port must be on left hence they left as it is.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:16   #163
Senior - BHPian

I will have to agree on the reverse lights , the Fabia has only one and honestly its not sufficient to light up the area at all , most nights its not a problem thanks to the street lights we have but every once in a while when they are not working it does become difficult.

Just to add reference the Fluence , the engine hood release in the Fabia is located at the passenger foot well and not the drivers side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilanjar View Post

3.Reverse Lamp: Logan again! got this trend..followed by SX4 (I dont care what came first!), Well no way can a single light be sufficient to do the job of 2, and it is a safety feature which cannot be compromised with as compared to a vanity mirror on the sun visor or ticket holder.

Old 26th October 2012, 14:23   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
It could be only one reason we follow 'keep left', so the dispenser platform in most of the bunks are fixed on to the left hand side in Indian cars. European use RHS for the driving hence fuel lid on the right. This is serious cost cutting. let me tell what are the things need to change. Body shell needs alteration, Fuel tank mouth should be changed to left, changes in petrol/diesel hoses, Silencer must be shifted to the other side, most importantly the floor board towards the end can muffler needs change as most european cars have perfectly arranged underside. There are no laws that fuel port must be on left hence they left as it is.
I wonder why you are wish for a fuel lid to be relocated to left?
I find it to be a nice feature where you can see the reading right from drivers seat comfortably without laying or leaning over the passenger seat to peek through the window to see the fuel readings.
Old 26th October 2012, 15:01   #165
BHPian

Dear Vijay and Shine: in fact I thought that the European arrangement was better for Indian drivers. This way all of the following can be on the same side:

1. Driver
2. Fuel Lid
3. Pump operator
4. Dispensing machine

Mind you not all cars come with Left ORVMs, so you cant see where the person has closed the lid properly etc. I was curious as to why the Japanese and Koreans ignored it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks