Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 16:54   #91
BHPian

re: Design flaws and cost cutting in Indian cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Palio is the only car that I have ever seen, whose AC runs without the blower being on!
Whats the purpose of that AC then?
How would the cold air get thrown into the cabin?
Old 26th April 2011, 17:07   #92
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Blower remains on at the lowest setting.
Old 26th April 2011, 17:08   #93
BHPian

Many organisations have cost cutting drive campaign & they reward employee for cost cutting suggestions (or value engineering as they say).

for e.g. 100 rs. is awarded for reducing 1 gram of car weight
Old 26th April 2011, 18:04   #94

Another example of design flaw. A very clear cut case.

The Honda City has swept wiper blades on thepassenger side. The blades bend upward at the tip, from 2/3 down from the root. They had to do this in order to accommodate the large wipers in resting position. And if they hadn't made the wipers as long as that it would leave a large unswept area on the Honda's large windscreen. They could have widened the glass or shortened it to avoid this problem.

I am curious to know how they worked around this problem in the new iVtec City. Or does the car actually have a smaller windecreen?
Old 27th April 2011, 10:58   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meili View Post
Very disappointed to see that most people here simply do not have the sense of reasoning to see the points Im trying to make. No wonder car manufacturers take Indian market for a joke and dump their junk here.
Dear thread starter, please remember that each one of us is entitled to our own opinion. Your right maybe somebody else's wrong. And like Rudra Sir mentioned, there is nothing like a perfect car. Everybody has his/her own preferences. This argument can go on forever.

Quote:
`How on earth is having a rear window that does NOT roll down fully become a design feature rather than a design flaw. Can some enlightened souls please educate me.
I own a Figo and a Santro. The Figo's rear windows does not roll down completely. For me, does it matter? Hell no! I rarely drive by rolling down the window. And actually, when my son is bucked up in the rear seat, I prefer it that way.

Quote:
The reasons given so far, for this ingenious design feature range from kid not jumping out to allowing dog stick its head out...to ladies prefer it that way! Really?
As I told earlier, all the people in this world does not think alike. And if others don't think like you, it does not make them wrong.

Quote:
And the foolish Indian consumers continue to defend clueless designers and purchase their product instead of putting them out of business. What a shame.
As I told earlier, I drive a Santro and a Figo, also my brother's Logan. Never did I find it difficult to drive any of these back to back. While in college, I used to drive a Kawazaki RTZ, later a CBZ and my friend's RE (where the foot controls are reversed). There also, I didn't find it difficult to drive any of these.
Lastly, can you let me know of one car in India which is perfect, according to your definitions?
Old 27th April 2011, 11:24   #96
Senior - BHPian

@Meili

Sorry, but I am a little flabbergasted by you calling the bent wiper blades a design flaw. I would rather call it design ingenuity.

Tell me, Would you change the wiper design to accomodate the kind of windscreen you want for the overall look of the car. Or change the entire look of the car, by going in for a different wiper which will fit in a straight line. Or do you want the designer to just put in any kind of wiper that fits.

I would thank the guy who put in some time to have a wiper design which would effect maximum wiping area for the kind of windscreen.

And what exactly the problem is if the blades are at different angles in the first place, is a big head scratcher for me. Could you please enlighten us.
Old 27th April 2011, 11:34   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
+1, the driver side wiper has to be carefully lifted else it touches the bonnet edge - design flaw

door locking mechanism - after locking the doors, it can still be opened from inside the car (not from outside though) - design flaw
The door locking mechanism described above is for safety - as explained to me by a Toyota dealer in the US a few years ago.
The not opening from the outside is so that others can't get in - a la car jackings in LA in the 80s and 90s.
The opening from the inside after locking is so that in case of accidents etc, the people inside are able to open the doors and exit the cars.
Old 27th April 2011, 11:39   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
@Meili

Sorry, but I am a little flabbergasted by you calling the bent wiper blades a design flaw. I would rather call it design ingenuity.

Tell me, Would you change the wiper design to accomodate the kind of windscreen you want for the overall look of the car. Or change the entire look of the car, by going in for a different wiper which will fit in a straight line. Or do you want the designer to just put in any kind of wiper that fits.

I would thank the guy who put in some time to have a wiper design which would effect maximum wiping area for the kind of windscreen.

And what exactly the problem is if the blades are at different angles in the first place, is a big head scratcher for me. Could you please enlighten us.
I guess then it would have been termed as a design flaw in the windshield instead of the wiper
Old 27th April 2011, 11:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
I meant, the AC switches on even if the blower is at zero speed. In all other cars I have seen, the AC remains off even when the button is pressed, if the blower is at zero speed.

And to move the air in the cabin, one can increase the blower speed.
Old 27th April 2011, 13:38   #100
Senior - BHPian

I think the AC switching on without the blower was possible in the Maruti 800/Omnis too. I remember this being possible on our M800.
Old 27th April 2011, 13:40   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Its been rightly said that there is nothing as a "perfect" car.Either there is some subjective problem or some objective problem.After going through this thread,there are many things that i've come to know,one important thing is one man's sore is other man's pleasure(being a doc,i at times feel like it,no offence to anyone.).
But there is one big design flaw(atleast thats what i think of) thats not been mentioned here is about the Ritz.The rear doors of ritz make an acute angle towards the upper edge(roof and C pillar),rather than an obtuse angle unlike most of the cars.The sharp edge tends to hit you right on your face/chin if you aren't cautious while opening the door.We also own a Santro so we had difficulties in initial ownership period of Ritz,esp. with my driver knocking off his tooth in the very first week!! (now he avoids taking Ritz along).
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 14:40   #102
BANNED

One of the biggest flaw and cost cut feature in almost 99% of Indian cars is the driver.

They cut costs during license tests, during educating them on rules and etiquette and most importantly a flawed commonsense.
Spitfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 16:21   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
One of the biggest flaw and cost cut feature in almost 99% of Indian cars is the driver.

They cut costs during license tests, during educating them on rules and etiquette and most importantly a flawed commonsense.

+1 to that.

The wiperblade design flaw is a serious issue here. It could cause a wind draft at high speeds that may knock off a two wheeler fellow of his balance.
Old 27th April 2011, 17:10   #104
Senior - BHPian

@mac

I dont think wind drafts are serious enough, unless you are doing greater than 200kmph or something like that. Bikers dont fall off when Volvo buses doing speeds of 80-90kmph go past them, I dont think a small wiper blade will be an issue at all.
Old 27th April 2011, 17:19   #105
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if its cost cutting or what.
Pre April 2010 Accents Dont have ECL(engine check light).
I dont understand,why did they skip on it?
even a santro has it i guess

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks