Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 02:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata's lean run in passenger car sales!!

@ Dr.Suraj : Your dilemma on the Manza strikes a cord with me. I'm going through the similar mixed feelings. I particularly like the Elan Tyrian Wine colour, but the Aura ABS version (1 segment lower) seems to be a more economical choice. The dashboard colour on anything other than Tyrian Wine does not make the cut in my view as well.
raj_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 03:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why Tata needs a shiny Red Sports Car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel9999 View Post

In other words, Tata needs ‘aspirational’ vehicles.
For vehicles to be Aspirational the Design part ( I am talking about the body structure design and not the technical part ) has to be Aspirational.

If you visit any TATA showroom, they keep FIAT vehicles in a corner, a VISTA or a MANZA would look really ugly in company of PUNTO or a LINEA.

But isnt TATA already having 80% stake in Italian design firm TRILIX/or is it IDEA?

FORD BRONCO is dead and so is Sierra.
Mahindra has THAR, while TATA does not have anything like that.

But IMO TATA has never been very keen on IMAGE building exercises, so i dont see TATA coming up with any Aspirational vehicles.

In comparision, M&M has a separate division for customisation, and thats a BRAND which might comeup with more vehicle's which you'll lust to buy.
Old 11th June 2011, 15:05   #48
BHPian

@silverado : +1 to your view. E.g. I like everything about the Manza other than it's rear. Why can't they get the body structure right. It would make such a huge difference. Mahindra on the other hand has got some of it's basics right and my bet would be on them to be the next car differentiator in the market.
Old 11th June 2011, 16:45   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
For vehicles to be Aspirational the Design part ( I am talking about the body structure design and not the technical part ) has to be Aspirational.

If you visit any TATA showroom, they keep FIAT vehicles in a corner, a VISTA or a MANZA would look really ugly in company of PUNTO or a LINEA.

But isnt TATA already having 80% stake in Italian design firm TRILIX/or is it IDEA?
You're absolutely right when it comes to aspirational value. Tata vehicles really need plenty of it (apart from the quality, sales, service and resale) if they are to stand up and face competition in the next few years.

And Tata does own Trillix. That said, the company's history with conservative design language has always overpowered more aggressive or slickly styled original designs, be it from inside the company or design houses, because they have been a radical departure from the 'safer' toned down family look. Which is why all the cars look evolutionary and not revolutionary. And this is not a good thing at all.

All one can do at this point is pray that someone up there in Tata starts approving styling which can break the current monotony that all of the products seem to be stuck in limbo with.
Old 11th June 2011, 21:05   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
@ Dr.Suraj : Your dilemma on the Manza strikes a cord with me. I'm going through the similar mixed feelings. I particularly like the Elan Tyrian Wine colour, but the Aura ABS version (1 segment lower) seems to be a more economical choice. The dashboard colour on anything other than Tyrian Wine does not make the cut in my view as well.
Thank you !!! ...
Exactly - Tata need to do something about it !

Seriously - I am ready to book any day now - just waiting for their reply or atleast some better discount or deal (LE etc.).

I keep reading this forum everyday & my love for the Manza keeps growing stronger.

Old 11th June 2011, 23:16   #51
BHPian

Since we are talking about Tata -
let me narrate something that happened with me TODAY ! (a tragedy of sorts)

Today morning my father on his way to the clinic parked our 6 year old Tata Indica V2 Lxi Petrol (my Jumbo) in a spot away from the clinic @ around 11 am.

When he returned @ 2 am - the entire area was flooded (owing to incessant heavy rains here in Mumbai) upto Waist deep water.
Still he waded through - went to Jumbo (which was partially floating now - water level upto the headlamps). Tried opening the doors with the autocop, with the key manually - to no avail.
Disappointed he came back home & conveyed the bad news to me!

I was shocked, its like my whole world came crashing down!

I immediately called up Bajaj Allianz (insurance company) & Wasan Motors.
Wasan very helpful - Bajaj HORRIBLE experience - stupid helpline, system down, no recovery, no co-ordination, no service.

I was told to get it towed to Wasan Deonar workshop where they would claim it later and get it covered under insurance.
But Bajaj was not giving its free towing service (some stupid excuse).

So I called up a private tow-truck (negotiated for 1000 Rs.)
He was due @ 4:30 pm.
5:30 pm and here I was watching my darling Jumbo - half submerged in the water - suffering.

I couldnt take it any more. I stepped into the water (despite the warning from my dad & mucky dirty water - potential ground for n number of infections)
Slowly waded my way across 50 meters to my Jumbo.
I patted him on the back (dickey) and spoke to him.
Then approached the front door. Tried the Autocop button - & voila !!! - It UNLOCKED !!!

Only the front right side (drivers door) - the Central locking had failed & NO Other doors could be unlocked!

I opened the door - popped the hood.

Took a look under it - Oh GOD - debris floating in the lower 1/3rd of the engine bay.
Took out the Engine oil dipstick - checked the level. What a relief - it seemed no water had entered the engine.

Went back to the door.
Inserted the key in the ignition.
Started the ignition only - lights lamps etc. Power window of driver's door was working. None of the others were.
ALL other lights were working - headlamps, parking lamps, foglamps, interior lights, EVERYTHING (air con etc.)

I said sorry to my Jumbo once again.
Closed the hood. Sat back in. Kept the window open. Door ajar.

Nervously with 1 swift motion and a prayer in my heart - turned the key !

& WOAH ! - The engine just roared to life - as usual in half a twist. No grunt. No choke. No rattling. No stalling !

& I said - THANK YOU TATA !!!

Pressed the accelerator - revving the RPM meter to ensure water is thrown out of the tailpipe.
Slot into 1st & slowly make it crawl out of its to be watery grave.

Get it onto dry tarmac.

Drove it STRAIGHT home.
Kept the engine running with the hood popped up.
A LOT of vapours were emitted (resembling smoke - as the water was evaporating)

My fogs & headlamps were flooded with water - kept the lamps on - the heat made the water start evaporating.

In the meantime - I took a mug & was busy emptying the water out of the floor bed.
Removed the mats.
Then - using only 1 door (since only 1 open) - somehow managed to remove as much water as I could from all 4 'compartments'.
Then using a cloth & squeeze method tried to remove ALL the water possible.
Some 127 odd squeezes later 93% of all the dirty water was out.

Started the heater in the car. Closed all doors & windows & left it running for 20 odd minutes.
More water surfaced.
Cleaned it.

Sprayed the ENTIRE car with Deodorant.

Turned off the engine (for the 1st time since then)
Tried turning on again - absolutely normal.

Thank you God ! Thank you Tata ! & I Love you Jumbo.

Now - will take it for cleaning, servicing & central locking repairs on Monday.

This car was up for sale in the Classifieds section of this wonderful site.

I am sure after reading this no one would want to buy it.
But you know what - now I dont want to sell it !

My beloved had a near death experience. He responds to me, connects with me.
Why should I part with him.

I am gonna install a CNG kit in my Jumbo - give him a makeover (my style) and will keep driving this TATA vehicle for as long as I can.

I really wish I could have posted pics of today's disaster - but really sorry - it was raining VERY heavily and I did not risk using my cellphones.

But I WILL post pics when I get my Indica made over again.
While I will also post a review for the Manza when I get it.

So ... in line with the topic of this thread...

Whats wrong with Tata ?

The cars work as they should, provide total VFM & space in this Point A to Point B journey.
Have cuteness maybe standard but appealing shapes (unlike say Ritz or NHC for e.g.)
Hardcore, Workhorses, Reliable cars.

& may I add - GOOD after sales & support service (atleast what I witnessed today).

Take a bow Tata. You made me very happy today !

& may none of you face such a problem in a deluge.

Peace. Enjoy !
Dr.Suraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 13:27   #52
BHPian

[Kindly shift this post if required to some other thread]

Contact Details of some Towing Services :

Kamal Towings - Matunga
24124047 , 24127031
Mr. Pandey

Tarta Towing - 24 hours - Andheri West
Mr. Aftab

Arunasalam Towing - Dharavi
Mr. Das

Rizwan Towing - Bandra West

Sadguru Towing - Parel

Suman Towing - Chembur
Mr. Raju

I have only mentioned people I actually interacted with yesterday & found to be reasonably responsive, & reasonably priced.
Old 13th June 2011, 17:14   #53
BHPian

I am TATA Car Lover ,but still my 2 cents on overall TATA Cars.
Firstly they need to get new cars fast in the market, they are not able to do that for last ten years or so, still have attitude that they are not building cars they are building trucks or tank for that matter (It saved me and my family though in horrible accident ) .Using high steel in (MM) in everything from skin to the body shell add to weight of the car. They need to work with World Steel Association and get the Future Steel Vehical features in there new cars they are 35% less weight than current one . They should work on plastics weather it is dashbords or any other. And they should look at other car manufactures , for e.g. Toyata (Etios) etc for how to build quality with Value for money without adding weight to scale and strength. Come out of Truck enginerring of 80's 90's .
Ratan Tata has took them ahead but still long way to go ,some wishlist
Nano - Bring the Diesel as early as possible with hatch opening and Power sterring .
For Manza - shead extra flab
Tata Venture - Use 1.3 Multijet Diesel from Fiat.
Nano Petrol - Use Multi Air engine from Fiat.

------------------
Tata Manza Feb '10
Tata Indica Petrol Feb '02
Old 13th June 2011, 18:01   #54
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Suraj Tata offers a 24X7 road roadside assistance service for mere 500 Rs per year through myTVS it included towing charges to nearest T.A.S.S up to 5 times in the packege. Total VFM package buy it as an insurance buy it in your next visit to T.A.S.S and stick the sticker of toll free number on your windshield.

For new vehicles this service is free for period of warranty and extended warranty ( at least in Safari)

About Tata cars I agree to your observations and as said earlier it is more about the image.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 22:11   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Dr. Suraj Tata offers a 24X7 road roadside assistance service for mere 500 Rs per year through myTVS it included towing charges to nearest T.A.S.S up to 5 times in the packege. Total VFM package buy it as an insurance buy it in your next visit to T.A.S.S and stick the sticker of toll free number on your windshield.

For new vehicles this service is free for period of warranty and extended warranty ( at least in Safari)

About Tata cars I agree to your observations and as said earlier it is more about the image.
Thank you Mr. Amit !

Thank you very much indeed.

Consider it done for my Indica AND for the Manza I am about to buy.

(now thats why I love a good forum)
Old 14th June 2011, 01:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaapps View Post

Nano - Bring the Diesel as early as possible with hatch opening and Power sterring .

Please TEST drive a NANO and let us know if you really need a PS

Better rear design. Its the UGLIEST REAR in all the sedans.

Its already priced quite high, adding Multijet would increase its price significantly.

Again , it will be increase in costs.
Old 14th June 2011, 11:28   #57
BHPian

+1 @Silverado

1. They Need the Pixel now, I am sure plenty of people will be interested in a diesel pixel. It'll make it expensive but very very attractive for the people in need of a second car for city or first for that matter. (Ofcourse all this with QC)
2. The Sumo Grande is not doing for them what the Old Sumo did, They need to get back at the xylo big time.
3. Bring in a new Safari, this ones a pretty old model now.

Nano was a great Idea and now they need to continue. (By the way I hope they do not continue with the Indica shape on all vehicles like they did on Aria. It looks cool on beemers but then thats different)

Last edited by Slick : 14th June 2011 at 11:29.
Old 14th June 2011, 11:35   #58
BHPian

Done TATA NANO TEST drive, with four people and some luggage to Sinhagad fort (Pune) it was really needs some juice, I do not think it is only a city car at 2 Lakh + hope you got my point.
Drive it on highway and you know what I mean.

MANZA - Shead extra flab

Yes , look at Toyata Etios, which is having largest boot and not bad at look at, Manza has ugly boot from inside and outside . You need definatly shead some weight there and every where. For e.g. Engine bonnet.
Quote:

Please TEST drive a NANO and let us know if you really need a PS

Better rear design. Its the UGLIEST REAR in all the sedans.
Agree with you.

Its already priced quite high, adding Multijet would increase its price significantly.
Welll you will need to run it as school bus in metro some times ,and cities like Pune Euro 4 , if produced on large scale Fiat might give some discount ,going forward, I do not see any other alternative than the Indigo CS engine which is Euro 4 , but personally I like Multijet.

Again , it will be increase in costs.
Well if you want to be in competion and beat them on all front you need to have best in class feature at reasonable cost.
Old 14th June 2011, 11:55   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had read your post in morning and then just now saw this article in NDTV online.
Partnership with Fiat needs to be examined: Tata - NDTV Profit

I thought it should be said by the FIAT people and not TATA; inspite of all the complaints that has been mentioned there are people who are buying TATA's in huge numbers.
Old 14th June 2011, 13:03   #60

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

The diesel version will give a huge boost to the Nano platform. It will be more powerful than the petrol variant and very frugal on fuel as well. But from rumours this does not seem to be on top of Tatas launch list.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks