Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: TRY being honest... How reliable are your posts?
I’ve driven all the vehicles I comment on 11 21.57%
I’ve driven almost 99% of the vehicles I comment on 6 11.76%
I’ve driven most of the vehicles I comment on 18 35.29%
I’ve driven a few vehicles I comment on 14 27.45%
Forget having driven the vehicles I comment on, I haven’t even sat in most of the vehicles I comment on 1 1.96%
I haven’t driven the vehicles I comment on, but have traveled in them for a considerable amount of time/ distance 1 1.96%
Whether driven or not, my comments biased 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2006, 20:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

I see a good topic wasted due to personal wars here :(

If discussed without personal bias, this thread can be a good lesson for new and old contributors alike about what should they comment on and which one they shouldn't/

Note from Mod - the argument stops here and lets back back onto topic The posts following this are deleted as things are going out of hand

Last edited by ajmat : 1st February 2006 at 20:48.
Old 1st February 2006, 20:33   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135

If discussed without personal bias, this thread can be a good lesson for new and old contributors alike about what should they comment on and which one they shouldn't/
Exactly! How I wish a few people could get the bigger picture.
Old 1st February 2006, 20:33   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Im sorry if i did hurt ur sentiments boom .. Yes thanks a lot for the clarfication ..
Old 1st February 2006, 21:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Mods, how about using the Reputation system (i think Vbulletin has the support). People can add reputation to you so that people know that the advice/opinion is coming from a reliable/experienced person. Whatsay!
Old 1st February 2006, 21:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Although this thread has really hurt my feelings a lot ( as a reasonably knowledgable 17 year old silenced abruptly), I do have to agree in the end.

I really have not driven most cars you people discuss about in the Indian car section or the test drive and what car section. And except in a few cases, I refrain from commenting about driving experience (unless its about pasenger-determinable factors like NVH, ride quality etc)

However, almost a negligible number of us have ever driven ( a lot of us have never even SEEN) the exotic cars we wax lyrical about in the international machines section.
I think some concession can be made at elast in that aspect, eh? Come on, how many of us are going to get to drive such cars eh?

Last edited by islero : 1st February 2006 at 21:05.
Old 1st February 2006, 21:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Oh I must mention I've voted for the option -'I have travelled in the cars I comment on for a considerable period of time'.

'cos I have.
Old 1st February 2006, 21:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
However, almost a negligible number of us have ever driven ( a lot of us have never even SEEN) the exotic cars we wax lyrical about in the international machines section.
I think some concession can be made at elast in that aspect, eh? Come on, how many of us are going to get to drive such cars eh?
Woohoo! Totally with you bro... Half of the super car "reviews" that we bhpians give (including me) are based on what clarkson or some other auto jurnalist has to say.. seriously, how many of us have ever been close to a F430 or the Veyron? (allrite...so some of us mite MITE have...) but mosta us voice our opinions bout them saying blah blah factor sucks on blah super car...

getting to the topic...i usually comment on cars that i'v driven or like somebody said..the more Ovious choices...

great thread tho...
cheers,
Old 1st February 2006, 21:38   #38
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I do comment on vehicles I haven't driven as long as comments are about looks, safety, price, tyre choices, etc. I don't have to drive the swift before hating it's look.

If somebody asks about ride comfort, I wouldn't comment unless I have sat in it. I wouldn't comment about handling or other drivng parameters unless I have driven it.
Thats exactly what I do too Samurai. You dont need a test drive to comment on factors like looks, FE/VFM questions, practicality, maintenance etc. However you NEED a test drive to comment on driving pleasure, performance, ride, handling, braking etc.
Old 1st February 2006, 22:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

I've personally driven a lot of small cars only in the country n some C segment sedans....I simply have no experience of even sitting in luxury cars but still read the posts about them to just gain some knowledge about them........At least can spot them can tell what in there.....

I mostly dont post if i'm not sure....look at my number of post and joining date. .
Old 1st February 2006, 22:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if this thread was started after the Skoda thread discussion as some members have pointed out but if it has then it's really pointless because I agreed with members that Skoda's are expensive to service, maintain and the A.S.S is pathetic! As for the Karthik fuel pump incident, go and read my responses. That will AGAIN make it clear to some people here that I do not defend VW blindly.

I stand by what I said in the Skoda thread. You HAVE to use the same criteria for judging different companies and cars. The rules have to be the same for everyone. If someone wants more clarifications and wants me to again spell out things, you are welcome to PM me.

Quote:
there is nothing wrong with loving a certain car & saying it loudly
where it goes wrong is if you don't accecpt faults, start bashing other member than making sence (hence turning into fanboy
If you go to the long term ownership expereince you will see many reveiws where people list out featuers that they don't like about their own cars.
Here are links to three cars I have owned and reviewed and these reviews will hopefully put an end to bombastic's allegations that no matter what I defend VW blindly.

1. VolksWagen Jetta 2.5 A/T

2. VolksWagen Golf 1.9 TDi

3. Fiat Palio S10

If anyone wants me to spell out which car has given me the maximum ownership pleasure, I will be happy to say it out loud here. But I think the reviews are pretty clear about that.

Last edited by amit : 1st February 2006 at 22:30.
Old 1st February 2006, 22:43   #41
BHPian

my thoughts are mine and i guess if i commented on how awesome the beemer 5 series looks or how awful the xing looks... i dont necessarily have to have driven them to comment on their looks.... exactly my thoughts cnu

regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
Thats exactly what I do too Samurai. You dont need a test drive to comment on factors like looks, FE/VFM questions, practicality, maintenance etc. However you NEED a test drive to comment on driving pleasure, performance, ride, handling, braking etc.
Old 1st February 2006, 22:43   #42
Team-BHP Support

What’s happening to us? Are we all in right sense? Are we completely out of our mind to transform a thread to this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Firstly boom i dont see the point of starting this thread now .. It more so looks like u wanted to pin-point at a few members regarding what happened on the skoda thread and likewise elsewhere ..
From where and how did you get this idea? I think you’re reading too much between the lines.
Quote:
Secondly, binz dont take to heart about vipers comments , there happen to be more guys apart from urself that he was referring to .. Like the bashing that happens on the honda vs suzi threads .. Now according to a few members one aint have the right to comment either if
1. U dont own that car ..
2. Ur not old enough to buy urself one..
3. If people who dont own particular cars but have a quite a good knowledge (atleast in some cases thru maybe from friends , hearsay etc etc ) about them yet arent allowed to put up their opinions just because a few guys dont want to listen ..
Same comments again. And this time comments stands from the entire moderators team.
Quote:
Sorry to sound rude but i dont see the point that a few guys are trying to make here .. Anyone can see for themselves as to why this thread was started .. If one notices the skoda thread that is ..
It’s not rude mclaren, it’s childish. I request you to stop posting before you think it through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Spot on, you are.
What is this personal war business. Aren’t we suppose to share knowledge? Aren’t we suppose to share thoughts?
Guys, please get this clear. We’re not sitting here to see or hear anybody’s personal issue.
MrBoombastic has started a right thread. Only to expose, our own self. Do not read too much. Please take cognizance of what are we up to.

This thread continues. Anybody has anything to say against this..pm me or any moderator. Do not post here if you don’t believe. Thanks.
Old 1st February 2006, 22:44   #43
BANNED

Why don't people read before they post?

OFF TOPIC, KINDLY EXCUSE: I posted a post clarifying this, but it was deleted... Amit, just like mclaren1885, I ask you to read Beemers and my last posts in the Skoda thread and also read mclaren1885's post where he has apologised and thanked me for my clarification. This is not about you or the Skoda thread, this is about what I've been seeing in the "what car" section. The ONLY ONE being accused here is me and not you. Anyway, I am an Indian and I believe that in the end the truth will triumph (Satyameva Jayate). This thread is exactly about this, people making posts on matters they are clueless about. Ask Navin Bhai, did I not PM him when he was deciding what car to buy for his mom? I only did this because I felt that people were just posting for the sake of posting and not really helping people choose a car in the "What Car" section. With this, I rest my case.

PS: This thread was started to tell people that quality matters more than quantity (the number of posts below your nickname).... So many are posting just to become a senior member as fast as they can. Also, a team is not about you or me, a team is about a group of people.
Old 1st February 2006, 23:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
If you go to the long term ownership expereince you will see many reveiws where people list out featuers that they don't like about their own cars.
Here are links to three cars I have owned and reviewed and these reviews will hopefully put an end to bombastic's allegations that no matter what I defend VW blindly.

1. VolksWagen Jetta 2.5 A/T

2. VolksWagen Golf 1.9 TDi

3. Fiat Palio S10

If anyone wants me to spell out which car has given me the maximum ownership pleasure, I will be happy to say it out loud here. But I think the reviews are pretty clear about that.
Your previous post said
Quote:
If loving ones car and saying it out loudly is being biased then everyone of us including the moderators are guilty of that.
to which I replied saying
Quote:
there is nothing wrong with loving a certain car & saying it loudlywhere it goes wrong is if you don't accecpt faults, start bashing other member than making sence (hence turning into fanboy)
I said that "some people" who? I don't know.
And I definetly wasn't pointing at you in any way.
Please get my point, there is nothing wrong with defending your favorite car, but when someone talks unlogical then it really makes no point at all.

To MODs team: Agree with you 100%
Old 1st February 2006, 23:26   #45
BANNED

Mods,

I do not know why this whole thread is becoming a personal war. I have received 2 PM's whose contents I do not like. I have replied to them appropriately.

I thinkit is high time that people start thinking with a broader mind instead of feeling the whole world is out to target them. It only shows that they are feeling guilty and how insecure they are of God knows what.

I had made a very general comment on what I felt without targetting anyone and all the young members felt I was targetting them when in fact I was targetting the elders who behaved worse than the kids.

I am here to share whatever little knowledge I have as well to learn from other members.

Lets not let a good thread go to waste.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 1st February 2006 at 23:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks