Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 07:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liv(a) tmrrw 2day

A few points to note.

1. This is a "small" hatch. Only longer than the Swift, which may change in a few months.
2. The smallness leads to a small boot, about 30L smaller than most of the competition.
3. It remains to be seen how the 90mm decrease in wheelbase affects the space.
4. A decently powerful 1.2L petrol engine, and the lightness ensures this is going to be fast.
5. Why does the J variant exist?? Its kitted out to a level which even taxi operators dont stoop to nowadays. Even a basic taxi Indigo CS has power windows, central locking etc. The only reason I can imagine is they can write in the ads "Starting from 3.xx lakhs".
6. Good to see all variants having ABS, EBD and dual airbags option.

Other than this I have to say, this is the worst looking hatch in the Indian market today. Probably why the brochure pics have all the sporty bits, though cant say the skirts and spoilers help much with the looks.

But as of now the biggest problem of the Etios Liva is that 80+% of the premium hatch sales are of a diesel engined variant. Thus till a diesel engined variant arrives, I think selling 500+ units a month will be more than good enough.
Old 26th June 2011, 07:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Why has toyota used skirts and other body accessories in all the pictures? Wont customers be disappointed to see the actual car without any of these?

Secondly, I have not heard of great reviews of the Etios, especially on its flimsy build. Is the Liva going to beat the new swift? That is something only the diesel version can answer. For now, Swift petrol, I10, Beat and the Figo petrol are in for a lot of competition. I10 & Beat mostly, since the others have their diesel variants contributing 70% of sales.
The sporty bits are standard on the VX variant. Unlike what Maruti did with the SX4's brochures.
Old 26th June 2011, 09:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
A few points to note.

1. This is a "small" hatch. Only longer than the Swift, which may change in a few months.
2. The smallness leads to a small boot, about 30L smaller than most of the competition.
3. It remains to be seen how the 90mm decrease in wheelbase affects the space.
4. A decently powerful 1.2L petrol engine, and the lightness ensures this is going to be fast.
5. Why does the J variant exist?? Its kitted out to a level which even taxi operators dont stoop to nowadays. Even a basic taxi Indigo CS has power windows, central locking etc. The only reason I can imagine is they can write in the ads "Starting from 3.xx lakhs".
6. Good to see all variants having ABS, EBD and dual airbags option.

Other than this I have to say, this is the worst looking hatch in the Indian market today. Probably why the brochure pics have all the sporty bits, though cant say the skirts and spoilers help much with the looks.

But as of now the biggest problem of the Etios Liva is that 80+% of the premium hatch sales are of a diesel engined variant. Thus till a diesel engined variant arrives, I think selling 500+ units a month will be more than good enough.

The Biggest problem Toyota will face is not lack of a Diesel engine from day 1.

Hyundai i10 does not have a diesel mill but sells very well. It will be the lack of production capacity at the TKM plant which will be the biggest challenge the Liva will face.

Expect long waiting list for this Toyota & TKM will sell all it can manufacture.

500 units a month is joke. Even without a Diesel, the car shold manage a minimum of 5000- 6000 units, provided TKM can produce them.
Old 26th June 2011, 10:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post

Hyundai i10 does not have a diesel mill but sells very well. It will be the lack of production capacity at the TKM plant which will be the biggest challenge the Liva will face.

Expect long waiting list for this Toyota & TKM will sell all it can manufacture.

500 units a month is joke. Even without a Diesel, the car shold manage a minimum of 5000- 6000 units, provided TKM can produce them.
Well, most of the i10s that are sold are the Rs.4lakh mark. At this price point there is no real diesel option with even a decent amount of kit.

The exact reason why the Figo succeeded was to provide a diesel vehicle with decent kit at a price below that of even the Swift.

But I think most of the Livas sold will be 5lakh plus price range. Here you have many diesel options, like the Swift, Figo, Punto(Active), Polo(Trendline), i20(Era), Micra XV etc. These cars will definitely take away all the market share.

Of course if I see the G version priced around 4-4.3lakhs, then they may generate some volumes. But at this price point the competition will be more with cars like the i10 and WagonR, and beating Maruti and Hyundai with a Toyota badge will be an impossible task. I still think Toyota will sell more Etios sedans than hatchbacks.

But if you look at the Etios Sedan prices, the completely and utterly bare bones J version is still over 5 lakhs. Normally the prices should go down by about 70thousand bucks. This will have the bare bones J version at around 4.3lakhs, at which price you will get a i10 with all the basic kit like power windows, power steering, central locking etc. To get this basic level of kit, you have to buy the Gversion, which going by the sedans price, will be around 4.8lakhs, which will be a good 50grand more than the i10. Not to mention service costs of Toyota will most definitely be higher than either Maruti or Hyundai.

Last edited by julupani : 26th June 2011 at 10:18.
Old 26th June 2011, 11:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

3 years/1L km guarantee? I thought 4 years guarantee was more of a standard now a days, with even Nano giving it. In fact, reduction in Figo's warranty period from 4 to 3 years was a major negative in the perception of prospective buyers like myself.

Awaiting the prices now. Thanks for the scoop Sid! I was wondering how the mods allowed SMS lingo in the thread title, before seeing the Liva brochure!
Old 26th June 2011, 12:21   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its not that Toyota doesnt have a diesel mill! They have already started pre-production of Etios & Liva diesel mills AFAIK ! They are intentionally delaying the diesel launch just to ensure they dont lose out on the waiting periods [learning from Etios P launch].

Quote:
It will be the lack of production capacity at the TKM plant which will be the biggest challenge the Liva will face.
Please note that the second Toyota plant in Bidadi has started production and it does have a good capacity as well - so long waiting lists [6 months] may not happen until the diesel launch happens.

Also I guess someone had mentioned that Toyota has already manufactured 11,000 pre-launch Liva units to accommodate the initial sales surge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
3I thought 4 years guarantee was more of a standard now a days, with even Nano giving it.
Not sure how many manufacturers give 4 year warranty by default. I guess except for Chevy [3 year / 1 L warranty]. rest of them give a 2 year / xx,xxx kms warranty and customers can buy extended warranty [another 1/2 year(s)] from them.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th June 2011 at 12:23.
Old 27th June 2011, 00:53   #22
BHPian

Thanks for excellent Pre-launch details sid.
The specifications are good for this segment but the plastic quality & finishing needs a serious attention though.
Considering its base variant specifications, IMHO it would cost ~3.7 lacs rivalling Figo & i10 petrol.
Old 27th June 2011, 07:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Etios Liva

website now live.

http://www.toyotaetiosliva.in/Liva%2...nal-020611.pdf

brochure link.

Last edited by sidindica : 27th June 2011 at 07:39.
Old 27th June 2011, 09:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Some days back there was news from Toyota that they have stocked up 11000 Liva already to support the launch today.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:02   #25
BHPian

Sidindica in the press...

Toyota Etios Liva Brochure Leaked! | IndianCarsBikes.in
Old 27th June 2011, 10:17   #26
BANNED

Saw a Test Car upclose on Friday.

I felt,

1) Build quality is CHEAP,
2) Dashboard Plastic quality Hard and without any purpose behind its design.
3) Paint quality not upto the mark
4) Design wise not a real looker, there are BETTER hatch's around.

Not sure about the engine and suspension set-up. I felt the car is more of a cheap jugaad.

Why is Toyota bent upon screwing up their reputation with the Etios and the Liva....

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 27th June 2011 at 10:18.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

The 'J' variant is bare bones. I guess Toyota will pull off an 'Etios' with the pricing. By the looks of it, they have managed to save quite a bit of money on most parts.

I expect to see a price below 4L for the J or dare I even say, maybe a 3.5L introductory offer. The ‘J’ will attract a lot of footfalls into the showrooms and Toyota will up sell.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Here is the TVC of the Liva :-

Old 27th June 2011, 10:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

With no offence to the Etios and the Liva, I'm just wondering--Is this the best that TOYOTA can do?? Cmon, as a global Major you are expected to do much better than this! The design is very basic, will become easily outdated in 2 years time and the build quality has raised many questions. Suzuki and Hyundai have far better designs, even GM has gone radical with its beat which is bound to look futuristic even 3 years down the line. The swift launched in 2005, is a great looker even today{ we might have got slightly bored of it now due to the sheer number of them on the road}.
I fail to understand Toyota's strategy and ability here. With all the R & D, they could muster only an etios and a Liva at this price? Instead of starting the range at 3.5 or 4 lakhs, they could have easily had the range start at 5.5 for the sedan and about 4.5 for the hatch and offered a much better car since bulk of the volumes will come from the mid level variants.
Just look at the competition--New dzire based on the swift, Nissan Sunny etc. They are far ahead in terms of design. Yes, toyota means practicality, reliability etc, but Maruti or Hyundai is no less today than toyota , atleast in India.
Etios and Liva may be good VFM cars, but for toyota to do this after 10 years in India, i just think its not good enough. Toyota just wants to compete, just does not want to stay ahead of the competition.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:09   #30
BHPian

I agree to motorworks. Sadly is this what we are going to get from the makers of yaris, land cruiser and fortuner ??

The exterior design looks dated.
The interiors are cheap looking and has that weird color combo and gunny bag seats.

I was never a fan of the etios smiling grille that is so constantly praised. I fail to understand how a better looking model would affect the costs of a 'made to price' model.

I would rate the hyundai santro (which is a decade or more older) better looker than the toyota Liva. This thing look so bulbous in the rear and what have they done with the tail lamps ? Confusing!!

With the new swift and couple of other cars in the segment and lack of diesel option atleast for now, why would anyone but this ?
For the toyota badge probably.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks