Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 14:46   #181
BHPian

Re: July 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

One observation from the month on month data is that most of the premium vehicles(saloons as well as SUVs) peaked in March. I guess this is mostly due to corporate sales trying to get depreciation benefit during the financial year.
Old 10th August 2011, 17:19   #182

Any reason why all major players in the D-Segment have declining sales in July?
Old 10th August 2011, 18:16   #183
BHPian

BMW at 840 units doesn't look very bad compared to last month. X1 contributing best to the total, in fact some 57% of total sales is X1 :O
New 5 series dipping to 168 isn't a very good sign - need to see where it stands in comparison with E-Class.

@GTO, can you please add a row for each manufacture to show their monthly sales total.
Old 10th August 2011, 22:16   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Apparently Honda is having trouble selling even in the US.

Not one of its models, is among the top 10 models for July.

Here's the link -

The 25 Best-Selling Vehicles Through July | The Truth About Cars

Cheers
Please check again. Accord is at 9 and Civic is at 11.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 13:07   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Please check again. Accord is at 9 and Civic is at 11.
My bad. I meant they wont have one in top 10 in August as per the article.

Cheers
Old 11th August 2011, 15:34   #186
BHPian

The number of new Ritzs on roads has increased significantly in July. The stats proved it correct. Ritz has emerged as clear winner in absence of Swift. I think same trend will continue in August.
Old 11th August 2011, 16:53   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panko View Post
The number of new Ritzs on roads has increased significantly in July. The stats proved it correct. Ritz has emerged as clear winner in absence of Swift. I think same trend will continue in August.
the swift is out for time being, so there are a segment of people who are ready to spend 5+ lakhs for a hatch & hell bent on buying maruti vehicles would have no other choice but to go for Ritz.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:39   #188
BHPian

GTO and team can you add a column on the right side that basically shows YTD numbers for each model and secondly summarize totals at end of each manufacturer. This would be really helpful.
Old 13th August 2011, 10:08   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
With all due respect to M&M and Scorpio owners, I just don't understand how and why does the Scorpio sell 3.5 - 4k units on a monthly basis.

In my mind it sells because people want to own SUVs and secondly because Tata let the Safari be screwed for a considerable period of time and lastly it has a small turning radius.
The Reason for higher sales of Scorpio is the Rural Market of India. People are buying the Scorpio for Taxi purposes as is the case with Bolero, it goes to even the remotest of the areas.
Old 14th August 2011, 05:21   #190
BHPian

Another reason for the Scorpio doing good numbers is that we dont have any other proper suv other than safari in the 8-12l bracket.People who desire to buy an SUV have very few options cause if you want to buy an suv apart from these two , you need to spend 20l+ and thats almost double!
Old 14th August 2011, 09:17   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose56 View Post
Another reason for the Scorpio doing good numbers is that we dont have any other proper suv other than safari in the 8-12l bracket.People who desire to buy an SUV have very few options cause if you want to buy an suv apart from these two , you need to spend 20l+ and thats almost double!
That is very true. Hope this segment hots up and fast.
Renault is bringing in the Duster. Mahindra will be giving customers another choice with the W201. and i am not sure how Force Motors is pricing it, but the Force one could be another option too.
Any others headed our way?
Old 15th August 2011, 09:23   #192
BHPian

Mahindra should be bringing the Ssangyong Korando compact SUV to India (apart from the higher end Rexton). Force appears to be toeing the Premium line so pricing may be above this segment.
There really is very little SUV choice today in the 13L and below range. While Bolero is the largest selling SUV in rural India a significant number of the higher end Scorpio models get sold in urban areas as well. Every other day in Bangalore I see relatively new privately owned Vlx and SLE models plying in increasing numbers. I contributed to that number recently. Given exactly 3 choices I had I settled on the Scorpio. I have seen very few Scorpios used as Taxis but that may be different in Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities.
Old 15th August 2011, 19:40   #193
BHPian

Porsche performance

The Porsche Panamera has sold more units than the 911 in the last six months. But both in single digits yet.

Seems Cayenne is the only bread winner for Porsche dealers. Wonder what will happen once the intitial exitement around the new Cayenne fades away.

Hopefully some mouth watering discounts
Old 16th August 2011, 11:49   #194
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Few observations from my side:

5. Finally, can someone tell me who is buying those Omnis.
Haha, that got a big chuckle out of me! Its a good question. Though I know its a rhetorical question, I will still attempt to answer. Ambulances, a lot of ambulances. Especially ones donated by MLA`s/Rotary Clubs etc. Its the cheapest vehicle to donate, so its popular. Also the cargo version is quite useful for sweet shops/florists and their ilk.
Old 16th August 2011, 17:55   #195
BHPian

Its time we accepted that the Indian automotive market is unique in its own way. How else do you justify dismal sales of the Jazz despite it being one of the most awarded, volume car for Honda worldwide?

To the logical buyer, the Jazz is supposedly 'Honda quality', urban runaround at a lower price than the ANHC - a receipe to set the charts on fire. However, buyers in India would like to think of Honda as aspirational (see the ads doing the rounds) and a smaller, 2 box car in the same price range just doesn't fit in with that image!

Ditto with the A-star. Its the global replacement for the Alto made in India but is languishing in India! Thats because for its size and category, it does not come across as VFM.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks