Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 19:16   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Single Person Commuting in a Car ? Good or Bad ?

Well, there were always going to be two very strong views about this topic. Especially since this is a "forum for petrol-heads".

There's no denying that a car is a personal choice of transport and if the regulatory authorities see no reason to levy anything more than the cost of the vehicle, fuel, and associated taxes, then there should really be no reason anyone should feel "guilty" about driving a big car.

Equally relevant though is the matter of the traffic situation we have in our cities. And there's no denying that the main (not the only one, but the main) reason we have this situation is because of the rise in the number of personal transport options.

Where the letter of the law ends and the spirit of responsible citizenship/road usage begins is a personal choice. Do I really make a sincere attempt to carpool, or do I just give up the idea because of a few inconveniences? Am I really trying to use public transport? Could the government/my office provide some incentives for me to carpool? Does it really make sense to wait for a hour at a bus stop just to try and squeeze into an already crowded bus after a long day? Do I live close to a well-serviced bus route? Do I even try to see if the bus service has improved? The answers are different for different people and trying to fit everyone in the same category is IMHO not on, by either camp. And neither is putting the other party down with blanket statements about IQ level.

Personally, and speaking about Bangalore, I'm hoping that the government does do away with the diesel subsidy for private vehicles, starts charging a congestion tax, improves the bus services, and gets the Metro running ASAP.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Why does everyone have to blame cars for being the biggest problem to the environment? Just because someone drives around in a car doesnt mean he is indifferent to the environment or to pollution.
I don't think anyone even suggested that here. Like you said we are all petrol-heads (or diesel-heads) which is why we are here.

Quote:
I specifically said Greenpeace! I said Greenpeace because of their practices!!
Again, off-topic, but I say their over-the-top-behavior is required just to balance the folks who don't give a damn about our environment. Just to be clear, I am not including you in this category.

Quote:
I am sickened and annoyed at the narrow minded and hypocritical thinking of team BHP members who condemn the fact that driving a big car alone is sacrilegious but at the same time comment on how they love the latest SUV from Mercedes/Porsche/BMW, etc. Hypocrisy at its best! Last I checked, this is a car forum. For petrolheads. Not tree huggers.
Yes indeed. But isn't this also related to road-congestion? I would prefer to car pool (reduce traffic on road) to enjoy my drive more. Traffic is something everyone wants to avoid - petrol-head or not, tree-hugger or not.

I will admit - topic is misleading.

Quote:
I do my little bit for the environment whenever and wherever I can. I plant and conserve trees and never litter. doing that is more helpful than not driving around in a SUV!
That's very good to know indeed. Your initial post sounded otherwise. Thanks for clearing that. No more arguing.

Last edited by asr245 : 9th August 2011 at 19:21.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:21   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

To each his own. What works for you may not work for others. there are hundreds of ways to save the planet and the biggest one amongst them is water as of today. I proudly drive a innova all alone to work because I enjoy the feel of the suv type car. But on the other hand I almost never wash my car using a hose pipe and waste water.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:26   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

who are any of us to decide on this?
frankly if we had better public transportation with the most essential last mile connectivity and proper park and ride systems, then I would be more than happy to use public transport instead of driving to work alone.
but this isnt the case so why waste time grumbling?
Old 9th August 2011, 19:33   #35
BHPian

I drive all along 100 Kms(to & for) a day for office commute. I feel bad about it, but below mentioned reasons make me believe still it is good option and sticking with it for around 2 years now

Positives
1) I save around 3 Hrs of commute time by using the Car and using the NICE road expressway
2) Have my breakfast at home and pack lunch to office. By the way it is an healthy option considering the quality and price they charge in our cafeterias
3) As my work hrs are flexible , I can start and return back on my own time preferences
4) Company transport is not flexible and you have depend on their timelines and it is pain to be on road waiting for bus at 6.40 AM in the morning
5) As the start late, I make use of the ½ hrs for jogging and this helps a bit to stay healthy

Negatives:
1) Spend around 7/8 K(thanks due to the less price of Diesel) for travel expenses
2) Driving a lot, not sure if it affects in long run

I have tried the carpooling option and it worked good, but did not prolong for long as they move different companies or move onsite.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:39   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
frankly if we had better public transportation with the most essential last mile connectivity and proper park and ride systems, then I would be more than happy to use public transport instead of driving to work alone.
Precisely. Look at how many people use London's Public Transport service. I LOVE their public transport just because it is Clean, Efficient and it takes you closer to where you want rather than parking your car somewhere and then walking to your workplace. Bombay does have very efficient public transport, however most other cities have to catch up!
Old 9th August 2011, 19:42   #37
mgh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
(bold mine)

The Bangalore Metro has been planned without park and ride, need i say more?
Old 9th August 2011, 20:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I am enabled.
If I am going alone and its not the month of Ramzan, I prefer my cycle.

Cleaner and there is a small possibility it will make me leaner. Am sure about the cleaner, not so sure about the leaner.

I cannot emphasize this enough. If your daily commute is less than 10 kms and you have flexible work timings, a cycle is an excellent means of transportation.
My daily commute is approximately 10 kms and I have flexible work timings. In fact, I only have to work from office three days in a week (although I generally go to office every day).

However! If I decide to commute to office (Outer Ring Road, Bangalore) via Old Airport Road, I will have at least 5 near-death experiences every day. Either due to traffic or the frequent mugging on the ORR reported every day.

This is apart from the other reasons like the weather, wishing to reach office relatively perspiration related odour-free, and (strangely) no dedicated parking for cycles in my office complex (cycles get stolen from the motorcycle parking).

As a compromise, I use a scooter. Only one near-death experience per day
Old 9th August 2011, 20:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
(bold mine)

The Bangalore Metro has been planned without park and ride, need i say more?
In theory, BMTC buses are supposed to provide last mile connectivity from the Metro stations. In practice, .
Old 9th August 2011, 20:49   #40
Team-BHP Support

Completely understand the intentions and sincerity of the statements in the OT.

But considering the fact that our cities’ safety standards are dipping by the day, and public transport infrastructure is hugely inadequate, I don’t find anything wrong in a person driving to office all alone by himself/herself – whether s/he is driving a hatchback or a SUV.

Edit: Just wanted to quote Samurai on the carpooling in Formula 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why do F1 drivers travel alone in their cars? Why can't Alonso and Button carpool together, after all they are both traveling the same way. Cuts the cost in half. Put four of them in car, the cost will reduce by 25% in fuel, maintenance, pit crew, what not.
This is OT, but just light humour. See Webber and Alonso in a carpool situation

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th August 2011 at 21:03. Reason: Additional Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 20:52   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportygellar View Post
Know of a person who drives Ford Endeavour all the way to office all alone !
I know a person who drives a Grand Vitara from home to office and even back, all alone. He even travels long distance twice a month, all alone. Wait, that's me.

Seriously, I think we are going overboard with all the environmental correctness. If we in an auto forum start taking this line, what happens to motor-sports? Why do F1 drivers travel alone in their cars? Why can't Alonso and Button carpool together, after all they are both traveling the same way. Cuts the cost in half. Put four of them in car, the cost will reduce by 25% in fuel, maintenance, pit crew, what not.

Before people tear me apart as environmentally insensitive, let me tell you how I have contributed. I live within 1 Km of my office since 2006. In fact, since last year I telecommute 50% of the time. Hopefully that will cancel out my sin of driving alone in a SUV.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 21:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Frankly this may look bad as an outsider standing all cars with just one driver getting into IT park but frankly there is little choice.

With the public transport in BLR as bad as it is (Trust me i love the Volvos but they take twice the amount of time if i use Volvo, but still i use them quiet often), the only other way is to do car pool and that has its own set of problems and pains. Matching office times of two or more people itself is challenging enough, on top of that if those two don't live next to each other its another pain to waste time picking up one/another. So given all this i don't think its fair to blame someone if he/she is driving alone to office.
Old 9th August 2011, 21:22   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Seriously, I think we are going overboard with all the environmental correctness. If we in an auto forum start taking this line....
Totally agree with you here. While the point that is attempted to be put across is appreciated and quite relevant today from an environmental point of view, I feel it is totally out of place in a forum which has a tag line "Live to Drive".
Old 9th August 2011, 22:39   #44
BHPian

My 0.02$,

My commute to office and back home is totally 50kms a day. I used to travel in my car every day, but somewhere it always used to bother me, that travelling alone in the car for such a long distance doesn’t make sense!

Reasons:
1. Environment, we are contributing to the pollution, and we protect ourselves from it being inside rolled up windows & AC;
2. Driving thru the city traffic for such a long distance is pain/stress; and again, contributing to chaos on the road which is anyway screwed up!;
3. Cost, not just about my expenses, but generally I feel we are consuming lot of fuel unnecessarily when the supply is so tight;

What options I have:
1. Take BMTC Volvo, tried for few days, failed as it takes really long;
- My team mate never travels in his car to office! If he misses the office cab, he takes volvo; and works from the bus!
2. Carpool, it will succeed, but you need people who are equally concerned and flexible on timings;
- I know a group, which has hired Innova with a driver and carpooling everyday successfully.
- My friends who carpool every day, and have set the protocol; anyone who has to work after 8, will take office cab back home; And these days with working from home facility, its not a big deal;
3. Company transportation, this is the more effective; initially it was painful to wake up early and catch the bus at 7:15AM, but got used to it.
- Company provided AC buses!
- With me there are managers, senior managers, directors who travel in the bus, though they can easily afford to hire a driver for their ride!
- I make sure at least 3 days in a week; I travel in the company bus. And other days, team BHPian wakes up to burn the tires! :-)

Opinions:
1. This is the petrol/diesel heads community, who are passionate about their rides, their dream rides and anything related automobiles. And, most of us can afford to buy cars, some bigger cars and some more than one car!
But, in my opinion, we need to be sensitive on how we burn the fuel! We have to balance between our desires/passion with what is required to protect our environment and future of our kids.
2. There are people for whom there are no alternate options, they will have to continue using their cars, but for most, if they are willing to try, they will find out the options.
3. We already do our bit to save environment, by planting trees, not using plastic etc. But, we should not stop our self just at that! Being a team-BHPian, contribution to protect the environment by burning less fuel makes perfect sense!
4. Every year, I go for two road trips at least 1k kms each, in my car, which is much more fun than driving in city every day.

Just sharing my experience on how it all started, action I have taken without compromising my "love to drive" desire. I am just trying to balance and its fun!

Last edited by Selective : 9th August 2011 at 22:43.
Selective is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 00:35   #45
Team-BHP Support

I will wait till petrol crosses Rs 100 and diesel Rs 75 per liter.

Some 3 years back no on assumed Petrol would cost Rs 70. Maybe Rs 150 in 3 years is possible.

Its not just about saving trees. Its about using a scare limited resource in a correct manner.
But then again, its actually good if we finish all the fossil fuels fast. That would be the kick that would start a more focused approach on renewable energy sources.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks