Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:50   #46
BHPian

Summoned to court for traffic violation. What do I do now?

So here is the situation. I decided to check whether there are any pending cases against either of our cars. As it turned out, both the cars had 1 recorded violation each:-
Honda City- Offence ->violation of stop line. Case is pending since Oct '13. Paid of immediately.
Suzuki Swift- Offence-> 119/177MVA (Red light jumping). Case pending since 2nd august 2013. However there is no option of paying off the fine. Instead, this is what is being shown.
Got a summons for jumping a red light...-untitled.jpg
What should I do?
scuderiamania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 17:04   #47
BHPian

Re: Summoned to court for traffic violation. What do I do now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
So here is the situation. I decided to check whether there are any pending cases against either of our cars. As it turned out, both the cars had 1 recorded violation each:-
Honda City- Offence ->violation of stop line. Case is pending since Oct '13. Paid of immediately.
Suzuki Swift- Offence-> 119/177MVA (Red light jumping). Case pending since 2nd august 2013. However there is no option of paying off the fine. Instead, this is what is being shown.
Attachment 1384892
What should I do?
I have purchased and sold some cars always checking for fines and penalties at this website. The general rule of thumb is do not initiate any action until and unless you receive a challan at your doorsteps regarding anything. I have not paid these citations, etc. if they have not been received at my doorsteps. I had received two challans somewhere in 2013 and had deposited the penalties at UBI, Lake Market. All the others showing up at the website have been left untouched by me.
SafariMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:23   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariMan View Post
All the others showing up at the website have been left untouched by me
I have received similar suggestions from others as well. However, I would prefer to have the issue taken care of appropriately. Otherwise I will continually be in fear of getting into trouble.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to have the issue sorted out?
Old 4th July 2015, 20:10   #49
BHPian

Quote:

What should I do?
I received a paper citation today and while speaking to some friends came to know about this online fine payment facility. On logging in, there are 3 pending cases shown. First is the recent one for which I got the paper citation (paid). Second is one dating to 2013 (no physical citation received for that), nonetheless paid. The third is one dating to September 2014 and it shows the status as in 'court'.

It seems we are in a similar predicament. I can't imagine going to the Alipore magistrate court to enquire about a Rs 100 citation which was never sent to me.

I can say however, that these pending cases become a problem when seeking an NOC from the Traffic Police in case of loss of car papers (it happened once before with our Maruti). So if the option to pay is shown online it is best to do so whether or not you have a paper notice delivered to you.

If I had only known about this [online facility] earlier
Old 19th July 2015, 14:21   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
It seems we are in a similar predicament. I can't imagine going to the Alipore magistrate court to enquire about a Rs 100 citation which was never sent to me.

I can say however, that these pending cases become a problem when seeking an NOC from the Traffic Police in case of loss of car papers (it happened once before with our Maruti). So if the option to pay is shown online it is best to do so whether or not you have a paper notice delivered to you.

If I had only known about this [online facility] earlier
I am extremely sorry for the late reply.

Anyway, back to the issue on hand. I always pay off such fines whenever I notice them online. However, as you already know, once a citation is referred to a court you cant simply pay off via their website.

Have you found any solution to the predicament we are in? If you have, can you please share how you tackled the issue.
Old 6th August 2015, 00:51   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I am extremely sorry for the late reply.

Anyway, back to the issue on hand. I always pay off such fines whenever I notice them online. However, as you already know, once a citation is referred to a court you cant simply pay off via their website.

Have you found any solution to the predicament we are in? If you have, can you please share how you tackled the issue.
My turn to apologise for the delay

Settlement can be possible after the summons has been issued by the magistrate - by entering a guilty plea. The only problem is that in both our cases the summons itself may not have been issued, making it impossible to refer to the case even if a court officer was inclined to help. (ideally the summons should be issued very soon after the police refer these cases to the court -- but I am given to understand that there is a huge backlog so often the case remains in a no-mans' land for a year or more).

There will be a traffic Lok Adalat in October this year (usually one or two every year, schedule published on the Calcutta HC website). Usually they permit settlement of such cases - but once again I don't know if the lack of a summons will be a handicap.
Old 6th October 2017, 17:39   #52
BHPian

Quote:
I found the answer to closing these court cases (at least for Kolkata).

It involves physically going to the court and asking for the traffic section room. Inside there will be some clerks who will print out the pending status and demand two payments - the first is the court fine (usually 2x to 4x of the compounding amount - in my case Rs 100), and the second is the facilitation fee which they claim will be paid to some practicing advocate to do the paperwork (partly true though, of course, that amount will be split up). The total in my case was Rs 300 (court fine) + Rs 100, total Rs 400. One risk of this is that it takes 2-3 days for the plea to be processed and the system entry updated. Thereafter I had to go again to collect the official receipt (for the Rs 300).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks