Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2006, 17:14   #1
Team-BHP Support

Got a summons for jumping a red light...

...except it was not me, it was my old Zen that I sold 3 years ago and they have picked on me and sent a notice asking me to provide my driving licence and pay Rs 100

What do I do ?

I have the delivery note. The guy who bought it, was not the guy who signed the delivery note but I know where he lives. I plan to reply to the police stating the details and letting it rest there.

Any other suggestions ?

Last edited by ajmat : 21st February 2006 at 11:42.
Old 18th February 2006, 18:03   #2
Joz
BHPian

How would this happen in the first place? Wouldn't the RTOs update the ownership details after a sale is registered?

Think communicating back to the summons with the documents of the sale is the logical thing to do.
Old 19th February 2006, 01:36   #3
BHPian

This could only happen if the Car has not been transfered and re-registered in the new owners name... Happened to me once.. When u sell a car make sure u get a copy of the Registration certificate from the new owner with his name on it ...
Cheers
Old 19th February 2006, 09:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

catch that guy who bought your car. Hope he changed the insurance and all.

Whers tbhp advocates?
Old 19th February 2006, 10:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

This has happened to me also. I had sold my corolla and after a year i got a summon for rash driving. Then i took the sale receipt to the cop station and showed it to them that i dont own the car anymore and also went to the RTO and got it updated there.
Next I gave the address of the guy whome i sold the car to and the summons got redirected to him.. Hope this helps but its a pain to explain to the cops the entire thing, and they also blame you for not having it updated in the RTO.. so be prepared to answer their crazy questions and pay bribes as usual..
Old 19th February 2006, 10:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
catch that guy who bought your car. Hope he changed the insurance and all.

Whers tbhp advocates?
I have the delivery note. Was bought by a a friend of mines neighbour - later I found out that he was a dealer who used the car and sold it on. The delivery note is not in his name though.

Luckily for the remaining cars, I hve either transferred the name myself for the seller as part of the deal or sold it to Maruti True value where I can trace it.
Old 19th February 2006, 11:05   #7
Team-BHP Support

you should send a registered letter to the RTO stating that the car has been sold to xyz and the address of that person.

A similar letter must also be sent to your insurance company.

If any problem arises later, you have the postal acknowledgment that you had informed the RTO.
Old 19th February 2006, 11:13   #8
BHPian

It is better and wise to reply to your summons stating that you sold that car long back and send a copy of that delivery note..
otherwise you might be charged for ignoring the summons ...
Old 19th February 2006, 18:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
you should send a registered letter to the RTO stating that the car has been sold to xyz and the address of that person.

A similar letter must also be sent to your insurance company.

If any problem arises later, you have the postal acknowledgment that you had informed the RTO.
ajmat, if i am right, the onus is on the seller to ensure that the car has been re registered to the buyers name. (that's the case in tamil nadu).

next best thing you can do is what rtech has mentioned. better send a registered post with acknowlegement to inform the same to rto immediately.

thank god, its just a petty offence. just imagine what would be your plight if some serious crime/illegal activities are carried out with your old vehilce.

dont procastinate.
Old 19th February 2006, 18:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
next best thing you can do is what rtech has mentioned. better send a registered post with acknowlegement to inform the same to rto immediately.

dont procastinate.

I intend to do this tomorrow. As mentioned, I have seen the car several times with "Classic Automobile " Plates (they changes the plates to one with their logo on each one that they sell. I think the guy who bought it from me, disposed it through them.

It is driven by a sober looking middle aged guy. My guess is that the car ownership has been transferred but there is a disconnect in the records on computer
Old 20th February 2006, 10:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

Got my secretary to call into a police station. I need to go there and show the delivery note and they will withdraw the case.

Probably means slipping a 100
Old 20th February 2006, 11:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Probably means slipping a 100
dont give them unless they explicitly ask for it......
Old 21st February 2006, 11:41   #13
Team-BHP Support

Closed...for the time being

Went to Traffic Office and explained situation

Dumb Officer - Car is in your name, go pay, does not matter if you have transferred, go pay at the window

Go to window - give summons + fine (rs 100)

Clerk - licence kodai (give licence)

Me in kracked Kannada : Naanu driver illa

Clerk: Hindi samacho - teen month ke badh, fine 300

Me: Car sale ho gaya, me driver nahin

Clerk: Adjust maadi - 200 kodhe

Promptly fills in some fake details and I get a receipt with the driver being some Aga Khan.

I chat up Clerk and pal and they advise me to write to RTO Koramangala to inform them about this.

Now to get some stamp paper and make an affadavit
Old 18th March 2006, 09:25   #14
Team-BHP Support

Further update

Made affadavit and sent it to RTO - they sent it back asking me to come in person. Never got time.

Yesterday evening - was walking on St Marks Road when I saw the car parked in India garage. Hung around, wnet and bought a magazine but no one appeared. Rather than be caught loitering, I wrote a note on my card about the summons etc and requested the person to please transfer the car into his name. Added my mobile no.

The owner called me this morning and said that the car is in his wife's name. Was most apologetic and offered to pay the fine. Anyway, closed on a good note on what a good car it is etc. and I have number if anything happens again. phewwwwwwwww!
Old 25th March 2006, 19:18   #15
BHPian

Thank god

Alls well that ends well.

So long....

Last edited by varunroy : 25th March 2006 at 19:22. Reason: not read the entire thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks