Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 17:15   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mini Cooper Coming to India!!

If VW have managed to sell 5-10 units of the Beetle every month, then I'm sure the Mini will do much better. It's a much more niche product than the Beetle and with better engine options too. I also expect VW to launch the new 2012 Beetle after all at the Auto Expo.
Old 30th December 2011, 17:28   #77
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
If VW have managed to sell 5-10 units of the Beetle every month, then I'm sure the Mini will do much better. It's a much more niche product than the Beetle and with better engine options too. I also expect VW to launch the new 2012 Beetle after all at the Auto Expo.
BMW is the segment leader. They would want to sell a lot more.
Old 30th December 2011, 21:24   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
BMW is the segment leader. They would want to sell a lot more.

I doubt. The Mini is not aimed to be a volume generator in our nation atleast as of now.
With exclusively petrol engines and prices starting at around 25 lakhs, i would expect them to sell numbers just like the Beetle. No better, no worse.
Old 30th December 2011, 21:42   #79
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
I doubt. The Mini is not aimed to be a volume generator in our nation atleast as of now.
With exclusively petrol engines and prices starting at around 25 lakhs, i would expect them to sell numbers just like the Beetle. No better, no worse.
Lets just wait for the price. Again if the Mini One is coming(any news on it?) that could get the base variant price closer to 20L hopefully.

Last edited by vij : 30th December 2011 at 21:43.
Old 30th December 2011, 21:58   #80
BHPian

25L a bit too much. I would pay about 12L for one.
Old 31st December 2011, 00:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lets just wait for the price. Again if the Mini One is coming(any news on it?) that could get the base variant price closer to 20L hopefully.

I am not estimating.
Model range starts at 25 lakhs* - is what has been quoted on various sites.
IMO anything below 25 for any MINI is being over optimistic. Even the Beetle is ~ 25.
Old 31st December 2011, 00:05   #82
vij
BHPian

Quote:
I am not estimating.
IMO anything below 25 for any MINI is being over optimistic. Even the Beetle is ~ 25.
I am not sure. I think the Beetle is on road ~25L and not ex-showroom.

The Cooper S could be 25L. The Standard Cooper could be bit less. Well, I hope they get the Entry level basic "Mini One" which could be well less than the Cooper.

Last edited by vij : 31st December 2011 at 00:08.
Old 31st December 2011, 10:58   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mini is bringing its entire range which also includes the Diesel engines.

Quote:
The Mini One is also going to be launched.

Quote:
I am not estimating.
The Beetles prices have dropped to 17 Lakhs as the cars were not selling even in the single digits after their initial multi digit sales. There are many dealers who have stocks that are not selling. I would expect BMW who knows how the Indian sales pattern works to bring the Mini range starting from 18 lakhs on road upto 28 lakhs on road. I am only estimating but eagerly awaiting their official price release.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 13:34   #84
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Mini is bringing its entire range which also includes the Diesel engines.

The Mini One is also going to be launched.

The Beetles prices have dropped to 17 Lakhs as the cars were not selling even in the single digits after their initial multi digit sales. There are many dealers who have stocks that are not selling. I would expect BMW who knows how the Indian sales pattern works to bring the Mini range starting from 18 lakhs on road upto 28 lakhs on road. I am only estimating but eagerly awaiting their official price release.
18L on-road for the 'Mini One' will be great and we might see these cute things on the road quite a bit if that happens. 20L should be a no-go area for a company hoping to have a successful small car. Surely the Cooper will cost more and that can be left alone for the enthusiasts

Last edited by vij : 31st December 2011 at 13:43.
Old 31st December 2011, 13:56   #85
Team-BHP Support

It's time Fiat get their act together and bring back the 500, to re-build the brand. I remember they had sold a limited number. Why not bring it back here and set it among the Beatles and Minis. It will be great competition, and I personally know several people who like the 500 more than the others.

The Mini will now add flavour in the entry-level luxury segment of the market. It's a great little car, and is a big name in the World and known to Indians too. So I wouldn't find it to be a difficult brand-building exercise.

The Mini's volumes however, as I've mentioned before, will not be a cause for concern to BMW. However, if it does reasonably well here, we can only expect BMW to put it on the assembly-line right next to the 1-Series, which hopefully, will be in full-swing by then.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st December 2011 at 13:59.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 15:21   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Also, the Indian-special episode of Top Gear that was aired recently showed how regularly Hammond's Mini scraped Mumbai's roads. The roads they drove on were much much better than roads elsewhere so you can imagine what would happen to the belly.

They'd need to customize the car really appropriately for India.
The Mini drove by Hammond was the classic one from the old generation, and I found the scraping part a bit exaggerated. I don’t expect the current Mini to have any GC issues in India. The regular Mini’s short wheelbase and super-tight suspension will take care of that part, and the Countryman has got almost an SUV-ish stance.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 18:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
25L a bit too much. I would pay about 12L for one.
Everyone would pay 12L for one but the remaining you have to pay to the Government
Old 31st December 2011, 22:29   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's time Fiat get their act together and bring back the 500, to re-build the brand. I remember they had sold a limited number. Why not bring it back here and set it among the Beatles and Minis. It will be great competition, and I personally know several people who like the 500 more than the others.
I don't think bringing it in for the second time will do much to rebuild the brand but I definitly think there is a market for it. IMO it looks better than the Beetle that does somewhat decent numbers and if I remember correctly was priced lower than the Beetle as well.
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:30   #89
BHPian

Just came across this microsite. It has a countdown clock showing the launch date and time for Mini in India. The site is neat and well laid out. Three models will be launched -

Mini Countryman
Mini Hatch
Mini Convertible

MINI Microsite

Times look promising for car enthusiasts in India...
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:34   #90
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Just came across this microsite. It has a countdown clock showing the launch date and time for Mini in India. The site is neat and well laid out. Three models will be launched -

Mini Countryman
Mini Hatch
Mini Convertible

MINI Microsite

Times look promising for car enthusiasts in India...
That site's been there for weeks now. I dont see mention of Mini One - the reason why I have doubts on its launch.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks