Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2014, 10:16   #46
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Facelifted Chevy Beat. EDIT: Revealed @ Auto Expo 2014

It's nothing more than a mild facelift, unlike the more comprehensive one for the global markets. We don't get the new ORVMs, alloys etc. but only things such as front and rear bumpers, tail lights and fog lamps. One positive is the inclusion of height adjustable headrest (neck restraint) for the rear centre passenger, which is very welcome! The reviewer did not mention it, but it was shown in the list of changes displayed towards the end of the video.

It looks like Bluetooth connectivity is still missing on the audio system, and if it is, it will not be appreciated by prospective customers. The driver's seat height adjustment and silver-coloured inserts were added to the Beat MY13 itself.

Another very important feature the current Beat lacks is a ECU based rolling-code engine immobiliser. I don't know if it has been added or not. It isn't mentioned by the reviewer, nor is it displayed in the list of changes.
Old 4th February 2014, 10:56   #47
BHPian

I had so much of hopes from this car that I feel this isn't the right review yet. There haven't been any leaks online yet, and how could the news channel get hold of the entire vehicle outright!

If only wishful thinking and overt optimism could get me some good news post the official unveil tomorrow! After two Beats in the family, Chevrolet will otherwise probably loose a loyal customer. I only wish I hadn't seen the American spec Beat in such great detail as to start expecting only so much out of the sub-mediocre facelift.
Old 4th February 2014, 11:56   #48
BHPian

At 05:48 - A.C.C. panel is seen, however at 07:15 when he is showing the steering mounted controls, we get a glance of a manual recirculation/fresh air slider!

Rear centre headrest for a Beat? Laughable addition to put it mildly.

Looking at the video, it seems I can turn my pre facelift Beat into this just by changing the Bumpers and light clusters, atleast externally that is. I am not liking the new air-dam as well. No sheet metal changes as speculated.

Four year old product and this is what GM could manage? Thankfully the Beat's design was already too modern. The seat height adjuster and silver inserts were already present in post July 2013 manufactured Beats.

The OE HU of a Nano gets Bluetooth. Would not be prudent to expect the same from a 6 lakh hatch.

I was not expecting the US spec Beat here, as for that you need to shell out US spec money as well. Still a missed opportunity I would say.

The dealers confirms an autobox. Maybe the petrol gets it.

Last edited by mi2n : 4th February 2014 at 11:57.
Old 4th February 2014, 12:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

For an old timer owner like me (2011 Beat LT P), the only thing I am looking at desperately is - "will that new looking bumper fit my existing Beat ?"

- The silver inserts on the door panels would make it look weird and out of place or an after market job. Remember, how the Cruze was marketed with Jet Black Interiors ? I have maintained a similar stance in my Beat. All Black Interiors.
- Steering Mounted controls with Bluetooth connectivity is a standard norm on many hatchbacks. So, if GM is not upgrading the Beat to these specs, its again losing the game.
- I don't expect much changes to the P and D engine, except that its hightime that GM launches an Auto variant.

The Beat is a perfectly OK car. There are minor things that if set right can topple its peers. Unfortunately GM is taking a too much laid back approach and may wake up once its shown the doors out of India.
Old 4th February 2014, 12:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

What Chevy is going to get with this facelift is really unknown. Beat is already 'beaten' badly in the current competition. With cars like Celerio, Bolt coming, i really don't see any future for Beat in the coming months. May be sales will spike little bit for initial 2-3 months, that's it. I don't see any more potential than that. Slowly it is moving towards being a dead duck. Any other thoughts?
Old 4th February 2014, 13:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
At 05:48 - A.C.C. panel is seen, however at 07:15 when he is showing the steering mounted controls, we get a glance of a manual recirculation/fresh air slider!
The video attempts a comparo between the new and old versions. At first, I thought the old one was not an LT, but then it did have a fog lamp. Hence taking the video with a pinch of salt!

Quote:
Rear centre headrest for a Beat? Laughable addition to put it mildly.
Exactly! Where is the space to seat the fifth passenger! And what happens to the rear view through IRVM?

Quote:
Looking at the video, it seems I can turn my pre facelift Beat into this just by changing the Bumpers and light clusters, atleast externally that is. I am not liking the new air-dam as well. No sheet metal changes as speculated.
Even I like the piano black trims in my 2010 beat. The front bumper is the only fresh thing here.

Quote:
Four year old product and this is what GM could manage?
All of GMs products have been dead ducks recently, despite being potential market usurpers. Captiva, Beat, Cruze - name it and you have it. And in all the products, they have got something or the other wrong at multiple places. Agree manufacturers cannot get everything right, but there is something known as 'understanding the pulse of the market'!

Quote:
The OE HU of a Nano gets Bluetooth. Would not be prudent to expect the same from a 6 lakh hatch.
Looking at the current state, I would even make-do with an after market bluetooth kit just because I love the looks of this car. But GM is now stretching it a bit too far for me.

Quote:
The dealers confirms an autobox. Maybe the petrol gets it.
I tried inquiring at a dealership out of curiosity, and they said an auto transmission isn't in the queue for now. I insisted on my speculations, and they rejected it twice.

Seriously thinking what the next car is now going to be! Swift or one of the Tata twins. Sorry GM.
Old 4th February 2014, 18:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All of GMs products have been dead ducks recently, all the products, they have got something or the other wrong at multiple places. Agree manufacturers cannot get everything right, but there is something known as 'understanding the pulse of the market'!
Sorry GM.

The facelift should have improved rear seat position and space, given beige interiors, steering remote and BT option. The rear door handles should have been fitted where it belongs and improve rear visibility and boot space. These changes would have made Beat in-line with today's trend, by only replacing the front bumper I really don't know who in GM thought it would improve the sales. A total waste of money.
Old 5th February 2014, 12:58   #53
BHPian

The all new beat is available in 10 different variants ranging from Rs 4.1- 6.1 lakh (Ex-Delhi). Available in petrol, diesel and LPG.

Facelifted Chevy Beat. EDIT: Revealed @ Auto Expo 2014-bfsdxdecaaadmus.jpg

Source: Carwale.

Last edited by sinharishi : 5th February 2014 at 13:20. Reason: Adding picture
sinharishi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 14:22   #54
BHPian

This is just sad. Just the cosmetically changed bumpers, same headlamps with "soorma" applied and dummy light removed and a differently coloured tail lamp cluster. That's it? I can almost equate this to the "Limited Editions" launched by India's largest automaker, but then even those would contain 15k worth of free accessories!
Oh and as per Chevy website the steering mounted audio control comes as an option! No Bluetooth functionality still.
I am also sceptic that the A.C.C. feature has been done away with. It was already removed from the Petrol Beat somewhere in 2013.
Could have atleast added a couple of new funky colours. Reintroduced the Moroccan Blue and maybe a Copperish shade a-la Grand-i10.
Yet they have seemingly hiked the prices by a good 10k across variants!
Old 5th February 2014, 14:38   #55
BHPian

Frustrated to the core!

A facelift that strips a car of its existing features - GM seems to be setting an industry first here. Leave alone thoughts of automatic transmission and space in the rear.
I do not see the value-for-money tag attached with a funky modern car any more. Were they trying to negate any price increase owing to the 'facelift' by removing existing features? Do they not have a market research team to understand what customers expect out of the car! Or has a successful exterior design made them audacious enough to turn a blind eye to the levels of offering provided by competitors?

With enthusiasm all watered down, I unsubscribe to this thread.
Old 5th February 2014, 15:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

Proud moment for all existing Beat owners especially those in pre - silver insert dash update. No ACC in LT(O) too.

GMI terribly disappointed us. No more Beat into my family as planned earlier.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 13:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Proud moment for all existing Beat owners especially those in pre - silver insert dash update. No ACC in LT(O) too.
Yeah, those silver inserts look so horrendous.
Add to that, check the Chevy India website and check the Beat images. The AC Control unit looks bad too !! No wonder ACC is out.

Cheers to us, existing owners.

Only thing I am going to look and upgrade desperately are the Front and Rear Bumpers.
Old 7th February 2014, 14:28   #58
BHPian

One important thing is that, they have added the "mode" function in the MID. Not sure if it covers all the functions which we have activated but saw it in the pics.

Maybe they got inspired by team-bhp.
Old 7th February 2014, 14:43   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Cheers to us, existing owners.

Only thing I am going to look and upgrade desperately are the Front and Rear Bumpers.
If we want to pick some positives from face-lift then it is the front and rear bumpers. But I am skeptic about the light throw of new fog lamps. Our current one can be used as a headlight in emergency. This winter I drove close to 25 KMs (zero visibility) midnight with Fog Lamps alone. A complete heart in the mouth situation

I dislike the new tail lamps too. It look like it's bleeding. Our existing one has a smoked effect to it.

I was expecting a lot from face-lifted Beat after seeing the US Spark. Total disappointment. Beat will eventually settle for ~2K sales/month.

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 7th February 2014 at 14:45.
Old 7th February 2014, 15:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
One important thing is that, they have added the "mode" function in the MID. Not sure if it covers all the functions which we have activated but saw it in the pics.Maybe they got inspired by team-bhp.
The three Interior pictures on the Chevy Website, shows different scenes. One of those doesn't have any labelling on the buttons !! So I assume that in the real world Beat, it will be a dummy button and won't serve any function. Else, it would have been another highlight for the facelift model. But Chevy didn't highlight the Mode thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
If we want to pick some positives from face-lift then it is the front and rear bumpers. But I am skeptic about the light throw of new fog lamps. Our current one can be used as a headlight in emergency. This winter I drove close to 25 KMs (zero visibility) midnight with Fog Lamps alone. A complete heart in the mouth situation
Absolute agree. The throw of the existing Fog Lamps are amazing !! The outer shell of the facelift bumper look like the throw won't be good, but it may surprise us. All it needs is a correct focussing with a correct set of bulbs.

Quote:
I dislike the new tail lamps too. It look like it's bleeding. Our existing one has a smoked effect to it.
Initially I liked it, but after your statement, even I think its too much of Red !! But I love the plastic cladding below the bumper. It looks like a body kit !! Heeheeehee.

Quote:
I was expecting a lot from face-lifted Beat after seeing the US Spark. Total disappointment. Beat will eventually settle for ~2K sales/month.
Most of the sales of Beat are from the TCDI stable. The Petrol version is considered dead. In the last 2.5 years, I haven't seen a new Petrol Beat.
So the sales figure of Beat as a overall model may do good, but when comes to Variant, the Petrol would be dead, where as the TCDI would be the saviour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks