Other reason (please specify in your post) 39 2.93%
Not applicable. My next car WILL be an Automatic 310 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1329. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 23:12   #136
BHPian

Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Hi,

Just saw this thread. Im an Automatic Astar owner and previously owned deisel and petrol hatches. Im feeling good in the bangalore heavy traffic situations. But for highways etc, AT is not needed.. So my next vehicle Im planning a mini suv (crossover) with MT.

Please understand that the recent sedans and SUV with AT have performance (reaching 100 kmph in x seconds) very near to those of manual ones.

Also fuel efficiency is getting good enough. Example is the new ford fiesta, The AT version is giving better or same kmpl as the manual one ! read the reviews ..

The only real drawback in Indian circumstances is the lack of an diesel AT less than 8L Rs :(

hg
Old 22nd November 2011, 05:16   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeguy View Post
The only real drawback in Indian circumstances is the lack of an diesel AT less than 8L Rs :(
My thought exactly! I used to drive across Mumbai everyday to work and the traffic was maddening. I wished there was an AT car that I could buy right away, buuut with a Diesel engine since my daily mileage and traffic jams meant that a petrol engined car would be a quick way to bankruptcy!

There is simply a lack of Diesel engined AT cars available in India priced for the masses. Sell a decently equipped one less than Rs. 8L and watch it fly off the shelves, or dealer lots.

Dont know why car manufacturers are reluctant to introduce such a product.

I hope they are reading this thread!
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:19   #138
Senior - BHPian

Wow! I guess my Vote just now broke the current Tie between Options 2 (158) and 3 (157). :-)

I just need to have that Manual Control in my hands, to sqeeze every last drop that the engine can give, however non-sensical the choice may be.

For me, an Auto always kills the joy of driving. I'd sooner be chauffeur-driven, than drive an Auto.
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:24   #139
BANNED

Quote:
My thought exactly! I used to drive across Mumbai everyday to work and the traffic was maddening. I wished there was an AT car that I could buy right away, buuut with a Diesel engine since my daily mileage and traffic jams meant that a petrol engined car would be a quick way to bankruptcy
One of my friend has Accord with CNG fitting and is quite happy now. You can also buy AT petrol and convert it to CNG, it will be even cheaper than Diesel.
Old 22nd November 2011, 23:59   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I do shift gears while driving, even in my AT, but not with my left hand, but with my right leg.
Well, the computer shifts the gear, not YOU. And that's the point of discussion here.
Old 23rd November 2011, 00:06   #141
Team-BHP Support

We just need more diesel AT's. I guess the way manufacturers think is that a diesel engine adds 1L to the same car with a petrol one. An AT box also adds around a lakh. With diesel and AT the cost shoots up by 2L which makes the car straddle a higher segment and thereby making it pointless. Example is the Fluidic Verna CRDi which is priced just shy of 14L on road bangalore.

I would have sold my Altis if there was a decent AT car available in the same segment. the best option is the new Altis with the 7 speed CVT box but I can't justify 18.3L for the same car I have, only with an AT box.

Right now the only car probably worth it is a Fiesta DCT but that too is petrol. If they launched the diesel with the DCT I would have sold my Altis.
Old 23rd November 2011, 00:26   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Besides, your observations seem to equate driving ATs with kinetic Hondas and Activas. Thats just unbelievable. One question: have you even driven an automatic 4 wheeler at all? Drive a real automatic automobile to get some real perspective on what these are like - you may have a more informed view then.
Mr Axe seems offended!

I mentioned that Activa because I recently rode it. Perhaps you didn't read the post intently enough. And if at all I compared it, it was with a geared motorcycle.

And to answer you question, Yes I have driven an automatic transmission car. My view has been formulated only after that.

And most importantly, that was my opinion and not a fact. No offence to any AT lover on the forum. I love manuals and I will pick em any given day!
Old 23rd November 2011, 00:52   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
We just need more diesel AT's. I guess the way manufacturers think is that a diesel engine adds 1L to the same car with a petrol one. An AT box also adds around a lakh. With diesel and AT the cost shoots up by 2L which makes the car straddle a higher segment and thereby making it pointless. Example is the Fluidic Verna CRDi which is priced just shy of 14L on road bangalore.

I would have sold my Altis if there was a decent AT car available in the same segment. the best option is the new Altis with the 7 speed CVT box but I can't justify 18.3L for the same car I have, only with an AT box.

Right now the only car probably worth it is a Fiesta DCT but that too is petrol. If they launched the diesel with the DCT I would have sold my Altis.
The Fluidic Verna AT is too expensive? And the Fiesta 1.5 D AT is worth?

The MT Fiesta Titanium+ D already sells for over 13lac as compared to the MT Fluidic Verna CRDi which sells for under 12.7 (13.5 for AT).

AFAIK Fiesta Titanium+ Diesel gets less kit, smaller wheels, makes less power, even gets less no. of airbags, but still manages to cost more than the Verna SX Opt. Surely the Verna cannot be thaat bad a car and still have a 6 month waiting period.

Or is this opinion formed just because of the new DCT which neither has a proper S-mode nor Paddle shifters not tiptronic (which incidentally is present on the Verna).

If I really NEED a Diesel AT on a budget, I would rather buy the archiac slushbox on the Verna rather than 'What-If'ing about a DCT Fiesta AT which will never happen. Considering the fact that, as of now, the Verna CRDi AT is the CHEAPEST* diesel AT that money can buy you in India, you have to make compromises somewhere.

* - Scorpio VLX AT BS3 is cheaper by a few grand. But it is BS3.
P.S.: I am comparing OTR Bangalore prices.

For a list of all Diesel AT cars currently being sold in India. Refer here

Last edited by antz.bin : 23rd November 2011 at 00:55. Reason: added link
Old 23rd November 2011, 00:59   #144
Team-BHP Support

The Fiesta petrol has quite a few discounts on it. It's going to be the same with petrol AT when it comes out.

I would prefer the Fiesta over the Verna not just the gearbox but also driving feel and handling are important. The Verna not only has a lousy 4 speed AT box with tip tronic that hardly works but has a very poor suspension setup.

Atleast with a Fiesta you can enjoy an AT box and not take the entire fun of driving.
Old 23rd November 2011, 01:05   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
One of my friend has Accord with CNG fitting and is quite happy now. You can also buy AT petrol and convert it to CNG, it will be even cheaper than Diesel.
Yesterday on TV, I saw a CNG fitted car getting fire and burning out completely. Would you prefer to experience that?

What about my boot space in a hatchback that needs to be compromised for another tank

It is known that the gas fitted car has poor pickup than the petrol car. So one would rev high again to get the torque, which would not add too much of value to the economics.
Old 23rd November 2011, 01:35   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
Yesterday on TV, I saw a CNG fitted car getting fire and burning out completely. Would you prefer to experience that?

What about my boot space in a hatchback that needs to be compromised for another tank

It is known that the gas fitted car has poor pickup than the petrol car. So one would rev high again to get the torque, which would not add too much of value to the economics.
+1 IMO by CNGfying your existing C+ segment car, you effectively convert it into a very expensive B+ segment (i.e. take it 2 segments down) with low running cost.

Aftermarket CNG kits saps as much as 15-20% of power out of your car.

Assuming somebody CNGfied a Civic AT. The CNG kit reduces 15% power(to around 110-115 PS) so the power:weight ratio is close to a hot hatch(worse than a City). And reduces the boot space to around a typical Hatchback.

So what you are left with is a 'cumbersome to park in the congested city with the practicality of a B+ hatch' automatic car for which you paid 16-17 lac and still have no engine warranty.

If you want cheap running costs, you HAVE TO buy a diesel.

@Vid That is exactly where you missed my point. To enjoy the car AT, you need to pay through your nose. Affordable Diesel AT is, at best, as of now, a compromise.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 02:25   #147
BHPian

Well I own an AT Zen so cant vote as there is no option for 'currently own one'!

However, I feel that automatics is the right choice in cities/urban areas (like Bangalore) where you have bumper to bumper traffic. Constant changing of gears in manuals is sure to do some harm to your clutch plate. FE does not differ by a big margin as both AT and manual will use same amount of petrol at crawling speed. But for the sake of convenience, AT is better I feel.

Cheers,

Rohan
Old 23rd November 2011, 03:05   #148
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Voted for three options - love manuals, fuel efficiency concerns and lack of choice.

The traffic in cities is reaching/has already reached a point where it is becoming a pain to constantly shift gears in start-stop conditions. I wouldn't mind driving an automatic and in fact, would be happy driving it in city conditions.

However, there is no substitute for a manual when on empty roads, on highways and on ghats/hills - period! Manuals put the driver in charge of extracting the best torque and power, which is not so easily done in an automatic, though the newer, complex, high tech dual clutch ones with manual mode option may be able to achieve it.

The drop in fuel efficiency in conventional automatics is also an issue but the biggest problem for me is the lack of choice. With sky-high petrol prices, I simply cannot afford to use a petrol automatic and there are no diesel automatics within my budget. In the highly competitive hatchback segments, no manufacturer has ever thought it worthwhile to bring in a diesel automatic. The first car maker to introduce one may well strike the proverbial pot of gold.
Old 23rd November 2011, 06:44   #149
BHPian

I picked up an auto i10 Asta for my wife. While somehow, its very comfortable to drive in traffic I dont like the constant pressure on the brake to keep it from moving forward (doesnt that wear out the pads faster). Also FE is far below my expectations (7-8 km/l in the city). Probably will never buy one again, unless I pick up a premium segment car.
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:42   #150
Senior - BHPian

All my cars have been automatics, and I have rarely driven a stick shift car.
In city - AT is becoming a must for the huge traffic jams. Soon we would see more manufacturers offering AT versions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks