Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a limited edition variant?
Yes 62 28.84%
No 69 32.09%
Maybe 84 39.07%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 22:41   #16
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Would you buy a limited edition variant?

Too open ended a question. Opted for "May be".

It all depends on what exactly is "special" about the edition. I remember my boss telling me that his 10th anniversary NHC had nothing extra besides the "10th anniversary edition" written on the window-frame.

Quite a few Limited Editions that I have seen were stickering jobs. The manufacturer really needs to add some features exclusive to the edition.

I might consider a limited edition if it gives a really special colour choice or colour-combination. e.g. Honda Unicorn (bike) had once came out with a Grand Prix edition which had a sporty blue and white colouring and stickering job. Even today, when I see one on the road, it attracts attention.
Old 1st December 2011, 22:48   #17
BHPian

It depends on what all the manufacturer is offering.If it is worth the buck ! then Yes.
But if its from Maruti Suzuki ! Never
So called limited editions like the Estilo edge are crap.You can add around 5-10k more and get an Estilo Vxi with a host of more important things.(Electric ORVM's ,Tacho etc. all pw's)
Estilo Edge doesn't even have black colored rims for the wheel covers.

It also depends on the if things being offered can be easily installed from the market within the same cost.If Yes then i can spend the same on customizing the car purely to my taste.

So it boils down to 'Maybe'

Last edited by k2max6 : 1st December 2011 at 22:50.
Old 1st December 2011, 22:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

I've voted for maybe as it depends on how much effort has been put by manufacturer to make it "Limited" in reality. Fiat Palio S10 was truly a LE car but due to company's reputation and poor mileage Fiat was unable to clear even LE stocks. I remember around Rs.1 lac discounts on S10 editions. Also remember seeing some elderly couple driving S10 they would've bought due to discount factor. Another eg of genuine LE was Santro XO which I desperately wanted to buy due to Tachometer alone but couldn't due to financial constraints. The most pathetic LE was Nano in Indian tricolour celebrating India's Cricket WC victory and am sure TML would have 'paid' the customers to buy the car instead of 'charging extra'. Another eg of fake LE is Breeze Edition by VW which is nothing but clearance sale. I would love to see genuine LE of Linea T-Jet or Jazz before my next purchase.
Old 1st December 2011, 23:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

I voted YES!

If there is any Limited Edition car that I very badly wanted to have in my garage, then it's none other than Fiat Palio S10 SP. The Canary Yellow paint, the side skirts, sporty spoilers, the specially crafted alloys, revised gearbox, exhaust note, the funky looking stereo, Sachin Tendulkar's signatures & badges etc are truly something to die for. Plus, the passion FIATians have for S10 is really worth mentioning. Personally, I even know of a FIATian who owns TWO S10 and he is a BHPian, for the record. *evil grin*

The other LE cars that I liked to have in my garage were Fiat Stilo Schumacher GP & Maruti Suzuki Zen Steel/Carbon.

PS: Talk of co-incidence, we bought a S10 the last evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Which LE cars have come with a performance upgrade in India? None that I can think of.
I can think of only two cars, viz Fiat Palio S10 and Maruti Suzuki Zen Steel/Carbon. The former had revised gear ratios and later weighed lower compared to the 5 door Zen, which in turn offered a slight performance edge over the non LE variants.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 23:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I would not mind buying a limited edition, provided I liked the car and it was always on my radar and it offers proper bang for the buck! But as someone said, if it's going to create a problem due to limited production numbers, then we have trouble coming our way. I never thought of it seriously.
Old 1st December 2011, 23:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I would not mind buying a limited edition, provided I liked the car and it was always on my radar and it offers proper bang for the buck! But as someone said, if it's going to create a problem due to limited production numbers, then we have trouble coming our way. I never thought of it seriously.
Hi that was me

It is really difficult and impossible as the case may be to source spare parts. These are some common frustraters in my limited edition.
  • The power window switch was a limited edition specific model and it costed 2000/- + 1 month time.
  • The rear tail gate was impossible to find and a generic santro tail-gate was fit.
  • It was Pre-empted that chorme handles if damaged are NOT available as spare. We may have to do with whatever version is available at that time.
  • Alloy wheels for santro limited will be provided on "Made to Order" basis and will take time. not available off shelf and not practical to change all 5 alloys if one is damaged.
  • LED light in spoiler not replacable. Need to replace entire spoiler for 8000/- (Not practical)

Last edited by scopriobharath : 1st December 2011 at 23:53.
Old 2nd December 2011, 00:27   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

It honestly depends on the car in question: If I am going to buy the car, and the LE is available with additional useful features, I would go for it. However, since most of the features are available in accessory shops, I would be fussy and go for it only if it met all my feature requirements as compared to another model that did.
For eg: The Vento Breeze has a touchscreen HU which I want, but no ABS and Airbags. So I wouldn't get it because I can get the touchscreen HU, but not the ABS and Airbags installed outside from a reliable shop. The only advantage would be that warranty would be intact if gotten from the dealer/manufacturer, but not worth losing out on other features that cant be fitted except at manufacturer level.
Old 2nd December 2011, 00:39   #23
BHPian

Yes means I will always buy a limited edition no matter what.

No means NO!

'May be' is the most appropriate answer. It has a yes as well as a no in it.

It's a YES for me if:

- It's a canary yellow S10.

- Radical 3 door hatch like Carbon/Steel.

- Even a Corolla or Civic with sport badges all around and spoilers looked interesting.

- Fortuner Anniversary addition. Not too much yet distinctive.

Big NO if:

- It's as ghastly as the Zen Estilo. Sorry!

- Swift anniversary edition. Decals simply looked horrible and out of place. Someone randomly slapped the decals on the doors it seemed.

- Alto Xcite. Nothing wrong with the upgrades but again those graphics and decals ruined the look. There so much xfun and xcitement splashed on to the doors of that poor hatch.

The person responsible for the job of Limited Edition cars at Maruti gets a wee-bit carried away every time he's given some new car!

Limited edition should not dent the image or look of the car in any way. Simple add-ons to make the car distinctive from the current model should be the sole aim. Making it too desperate or flashy doesn't make any sense. Even school-kids don't like weird red-yellow-green graphics on their bicycles, so why would a grown-up anyway?

Should be two different categories, one for limited and one for funny editions.

If you make these limited edition car interesting, there's no reason why it wouldn't sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I voted YES!

PS: Talk of co-incidence, we bought a S10 the last evening.
Congrats! That's some news. You have a PM.
Shivank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 01:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Hi that was me

It is really difficult and impossible as the case may be to source spare parts. These are some common frustraters in my limited edition.
  • The power window switch was a limited edition specific model and it costed 2000/- + 1 month time.
  • The rear tail gate was impossible to find and a generic santro tail-gate was fit.
  • It was Pre-empted that chorme handles if damaged are NOT available as spare. We may have to do with whatever version is available at that time.
  • Alloy wheels for santro limited will be provided on "Made to Order" basis and will take time. not available off shelf and not practical to change all 5 alloys if one is damaged.
  • LED light in spoiler not replacable. Need to replace entire spoiler for 8000/- (Not practical)
I think this is a characteristic of Hyundai. Theere was an ownership review of a Hyundai i10 automatic on Team-BHP and the owner reported similar high costs in maintaining his i10 auto and problems with sourcing parts for his car. Looks like Hyundai really doesn't care for anyone except the masses and one has to keep this in mind before deciding on a limited edition Hyundai.
Old 2nd December 2011, 01:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you buy a limifunny editionted edition variant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
Should be two different categories, one for limited and one for funny editions.
That was great. Can't imagine how "Funny Edition" written on any car would look like.
Also what extra accessories manufacturer will give in that edition. Orange Sunglasses, Printed Shirts, etc.
Am damn sure Maruti will give tough time to their competitors there too.

Last edited by carwatcher : 2nd December 2011 at 01:28.
Old 2nd December 2011, 05:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Voted for "No" as in past whatever Limited edition cars i have seen either were not value for money, did not appeal to me, or i was not looking to buy a car in that segment.

Not to say in future it may not happen.
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:00   #27
BHPian

My answer is "May Be". It totally depends on case to case basis. It actully depends on what extra I am getting in limited edition version, importance of those extra features (for instance my personal openion is - in VW BREEZE model, only GPS and reverse parking sensors are good features. All other features - I am not big fan of), and cost difference for limited edition from standart model.
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

I answered YES. I love the emerald blue colour of the Ritz Genus (it's not Genius BTW ), and am hunting for a used vdi in that color! The later editions were stupid with the stickers, but this limited edition's color was good.
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:23   #29
Team-BHP Support

Most Limited Edition variants are sheer stupidity!

Maruti tops that chart : remember the limited editions of Ritz and Alto? I don't think they got anything worthwhile; all they had were seat-covers, some fancy vinyls and maybe a dumb spoiler somewhere.

The only time Maruti has brought up a Limited Edition was Zen Carbon/Steel. But before that, they brought in Zen Classic so Maruti needs to bring about 100 Carbon/Steel before they can offset the stupidity of Classic!

Same is the case with Vento/Polo Breeze and IPL editions; maybe the only worthy feature was the BT integration. That's all.

The kind of features manufacturers present in a Limited Edition can all be fitted after-market; there's no novelty in them. And I doubt Indians really care about the "Special/Limited Edition" on the boot anymore!

So, would I buy one - NO!

A Jazz 1.6 - Maybe!
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:24   #30
BHPian

I would only if it makes sense or should I say it is value for Money. For example, providing top variant features in base model too - like automatic, ABS and airbags in base model and pricing it correctly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks