Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2011, 19:37   #31
BANNED

Re: How long before Mitsubishi India shuts shop!!

We complain and crib about Tata's association with commercial vehicles and how the taxi image is harming their Indica / indigo range.

I am a bit surprised why the three stars' association with the ancient junk Ambass is not even mentioned in this thread. Am I the only person seeing lancers and Pajero's parked alongside Ambys in Amby a.s.s. centers?

Also, I feel that Mitsu's association with the Birla group is a millstone around their neck; and to exit the JV, Mitsu will need a clearance from the Birla group. This a relic of the old license - permit raj, and is one rule the CII / FICCI will never ask ro be scrapped.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 13:15   #32
BHPian

Before their launch in India any mention of Mitsubishi would bring up images of their Lancers/EVOs flying on the WRC circuit or their Pajeros eating up the competition on the Paris-Dakkar Rally. The image is still there in my memories.

A lot has been said about the state of affairs at Mitsubishi Motors. What all the opinions stated indicate are that there is a lack of ambition and lack of intent towards the Automobile division, whether in India or internationally.

Yes, they have a bad partnership with HM in India. What stops them from either terminating the partnership or taking absolute control of it?

Yes, Mitsubishi is a large conglomerate and have varied business interests and the automotive division is one amongst many. What has stopped them from aspiring for success in all their divisions?

There is absolute apathy towards the automotive division, not just in India but internationally as well. They have the talent and resources to do well. But do they have the ambition and intent? The answer to this will determine whether they will stay in India or not.
Old 8th December 2011, 12:52   #33
BHPian

There were a lot of buzz around RVR & Tritan based Pajero Sport to be launched in India. I had seen that one in Thailand & was eagerly looking for it to come here but looks like they have shelved the plans altogether which is such a shame. It would definitely have given the likes of Endy & T-fort a good competition which the ageing (or should I say aged) Pajero is unable to.
Old 8th December 2011, 14:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

I always thought Mitsubishi cars were overpriced. Some years back they did have a very good car (Lancer) and a very good SUV (Pajero); but then this is what happens when you keep on harping on the same models with cosmetic changes here & there. Mitsubishi never proactively introduced any new cars in India. Neither were they too bothered to introduce new models, nor were they interested to explore some alternative segment in India.

And again, when they introduced the new Lancer Evo X some time back, the stratospheric pricing took away all the fun of the car. It would have made a snazzy performance machine which would have been a hit; if it was priced between 20-25L. But ~50L ex showroom?? Crazy!

I don't see any future for Mitsubishi in India. At-least not until they get rid of the HM name tag associated with them!!

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 8th December 2011 at 14:51.
Old 8th December 2011, 15:04   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Case of water settling at the lowest level. Mitsubishi India seem to have adopted HM's way of life, rather than the other way round.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 15:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Its not just in India and HM association is not the sole reason for Mitsubishi's debacle. Check out this report on their official website.
Press Release | Mitsubishi Motors Corporation

Reproducing part of their bleeding story:
Total global production for October came in at 85,631 units, 19.9 percent down over October 2010 and the third consecutive year-on-year monthly decrease since July 2011.
Production volume in Japan at 50,757 units was 17.9 percent down, the third consecutive year-on-year monthly decrease since July 2011.
Passenger car output at 43,305 units was 21.6 percent down on the same period last year. Commercial vehicle output at 7,452 units was 13.5 percent up year-on-year.

And if they continue without any turn-upside-down strategies in near future, progressively in 3-4 years, they would have to completely shut down their auto division globally!
Old 8th December 2011, 19:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

I am eagerly waiting for them to wind up their operations in India. May be then can pick up brand new Pajero at rock bottom price!
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 21:17   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I am eagerly waiting for them to wind up their operations in India. May be then can pick up brand new Pajero at rock bottom price!
That might not be the smartest thing to do, considering that the Pajero is 20 years old to begin with. And to top that, you might have to run from pillar to post for spares. Services will be hell. Not that it's any better right now, really.

Buying a Pajero NOW, will be feasible if you know the mechanics and local garages around. You'd need to widen your contact-base and make sure that you won't be left stranded in the middle of the road, should something go wrong. God forbid.
Old 9th December 2011, 09:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That might not be the smartest thing to do, considering that the Pajero is 20 years old to begin with. And to top that, you might have to run from pillar to post for spares. Services will be hell. Not that it's any better right now, really.

Buying a Pajero NOW, will be feasible if you know the mechanics and local garages around. You'd need to widen your contact-base and make sure that you won't be left stranded in the middle of the road, should something go wrong. God forbid.
According to forum members, spares are not much of a problem. Then the vehicle is pretty rugged and devoid of "nasty" electronics, so maintenance of mechanical parts is not much of a problem. The reason I would love to have it is that apart from being rugged, it has one of the better suspensions, and an excellent low end torque - an asset in rugged hilly terrain. As it is narrower than most SUV (barring the Gypsy), acess on narrow roads is guaranteed.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Autodrome at Worli has closed? or has it relocated?
Old 9th December 2011, 18:33   #41
BHPian

* A black Mitsubishi Montiero stands parked in the house right beside , ours. Everyday , the driver comes in the morning , cranks its diesel engine, and at that very moment whatever I am doing , I just leave it aside and tip-toe my way to catch a glimpse of that car as the driver attentively takes it out of parking on his way to its owners.

* Everyday visit to a certain house , far from my house, but visit is essential to that house due to certain circumstance and just as I am about to enter it. A yellow colored Mitsubishi Outlander standing outside a house just before the one i must visit and I stop to look at her.

I must confess, I have never driven a Mitsubishi car let alone been in it. Nevertheless, I cannot understand, What is it about thier cars that whenever I find them along my way, I cease for a moment!!?? Must be some fascination!. Because, I sincerly imagine, that this Japanese Car maker must be distinct from all other Japanese car makers that are already in India.

But, then reality creeps in as a consequence of the sorry state of affairs that Mitsu seems to be stuck in or not!!??. Many questions come to mind about this venerable car maker starting with 'Why'. Like :

Why not being 'pro-active', 'aggressive', like other car makers and content being 'laid back'?

Why not discontinue your association with HM and start anew?

Who knows there must should be many 'why's that need to be documented here to invigorate Mitsubishi from its state of stupor.
ritedhawan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 20:19   #42
BHPian

The fact is that Mitsubishi is hardly trying to advertise their products!!ask anyone and most probably they would not have heard of any product from Mitsubishi apart from the Lancer!!that really shows lack of marketing efforts and as a result lack of awareness!!

Look at the Cedia.agreed it is an old product but still is very very fun to drive!i just love it.and it gives me more mileage than some people report getting from their civics!!but how many civics get sold per month.it is not altogether because of the dated design alone-people do not know a car called cedia exists!!

really the first thing they ought to do is advertise and put more money into marketing!!people love their products-they just need to remind customers they are still in the market!!

Of course getting a diesel powered product, especially a diesel Outlander will do wonders!!
Old 9th December 2011, 21:04   #43
BHPian

As a person enjoying the pleasure of driving a mitsu, for me this is sad thing to see the company going on decline. Their engineering is exemplary and I have not come across a car to which I am connected to like I am to a Mitsu.

I am also curious as to get the list of factors which caused the decline (from Indian perspective). I can see that one of the main weaknesses are:
(i) Marketing Campaigns
(ii) Wafer thin A.S.S
(iii) Wrong pricing.

Wouldnt be surprise if there are more!
Old 9th December 2011, 22:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
The fact is that Mitsubishi is hardly trying to advertise their products!!ask anyone and most probably they would not have heard of any product from Mitsubishi apart from the Lancer!!that really shows lack of marketing efforts and as a result lack of awareness!!

Look at the Cedia. Agreed it is an old product but still is very very fun to drive!I just love it,and it gives me more mileage than some people report getting from their civics!!But how many civics get sold per month.it is not altogether because of the dated design alone-people do not know a car called cedia exists!

Really the first thing they ought to do is advertise and put more money into marketing!!people love their products-they just need to remind customers they are still in the market!!

Of course getting a diesel powered product, especially a diesel Outlander will do wonders!!
This is Mitsubishi engineering that an old product like cedia is more fun to drive than latest versions of civics, corollas. I hope I am not biased b/c I drive cedia, ask anyone who has ever driven Cedia once. It is just that they do not have any marketing and business sense for India. and their bad that they got stuck with HM.
Old 12th December 2011, 13:07   #45
BHPian

This is a waiting game going on.

If I am not way off the mark, the JV termination clauses between the two provide for hefty termination payments by the party seeking termination of the JV. Now as we all know HM is a prime example of loser of a corporate entity and a third rate management. MMC on the other hand if I recall some press reports correctly is seeing the future in EVs.

Therefore the way I see it MMC is waiting for HM to finally bite the bullet and ask for termination of the JV to encash their realty holdings where the plant is/plants are located. If such a scenario does unfold MMC would be most glad to oblige. I do not really see MMC rushing to HM to ask for a JV termination because the way I see it the separation would be economically un-viable.

I concede there is a whole load of guesses above, which could be horribly wrong. However this is the only reason I can think of for MMC not being proactive and dumping the CKB millstone around their neck.
RS_DEL is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks