Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 14:44   #46
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
At 6.5L, this could be a quite affordable tourer. Hopefully, they'll not put an atrocious price tag on the upcoming diesel version.
If you read closely, you will realize that the 6.5L price tag is just a speculation. A typical rediff reporting gaffe
Old 25th January 2012, 17:59   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
If you read closely, you will realize that the 6.5L price tag is just a speculation. A typical rediff reporting gaffe
I was infact surprised with teh rediff article, felt that we tbhpians have missed the release completely.
1. From teh rediff article engine for MPV seems to be 1.3 MJD. Would that be underpowered for the size.
2. Looking at the build of MPV, I feel the wheel size is a tad too short. Not sure if it'll stay on road with these.
Old 25th January 2012, 20:55   #48
BHPian

There is an Autocar article which mentions that it will be named as ENJOY. Initially it will come with Petrol Engine - 94 BHP 1.4 Liter. The Diesel will come early next year.

Source: SCOOP! Chevrolet MPV to be called ‘Enjoy’ - News - Autocar India
Old 25th January 2012, 22:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

^^ It doesnt make sense why would chevy want to release a petrol model? if its CNG, I can understand, but petrol?
Old 30th January 2012, 20:37   #50
BHPian

Quite frankly,I think "ENJOY" is a rather uninspiring name(compared to "cruze","beat" etc..).If our government does decide to increase taxes for diesel cars,who knows maybe a section of the market will shift back to petrol.Maybe Chevy is banking on that and introducing the petrol variant first!!
Old 6th March 2012, 10:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Chevrolet Sail hatchback under test on saturday on Pune-Mumbai expressway foodmall. Looked nothing extraordinary, and they could have gathered zero attention by running regular car rather than running the camouflaged car. Looked much similar to present Aveo (hope this is the name of the hatchback). Not much design change.
Old 7th March 2012, 07:46   #52
dot
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this hatchback on Monday morning. This was in Pimpri, next to Pune. Took a couple of pictures when there was a red signal and we had both stopped. Here they are.

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-05032012568.jpg

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-05032012570.jpg

Looks like the Chevy Sail Hatechback being tested. From the front it appeared to be the Sail. Sorry, could not take pics of the front, as traffic had started to move
Old 26th March 2012, 19:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

Launch of Sail will be sometime between July & September according to a newspaper report.

General Motors to launch small car Sail in Q3 - The Times of India
Old 28th March 2012, 19:18   #54
BHPian

General Motors to launch Enjoy by year end

US car maker General Motors - more popularly known as Chevrolet - is planning to launch a series of cars by 2012 end. The first being the Multi Purpose Vehicle - Enjoy. The 'Enjoy' would be the first product from their tie-up with Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC), China. The car manufacturer had showcased the MPV concept and its hatchback - Sail - at Auto Expo 2012 at Delhi earlier this year.

Under this association, they are also planning to "launch" Sail in the Indian market by June or July. Sail is likely to be priced between Rs 3 lakh and Rs 5 lakh range under the premium hatchback segment, competing with Ford's Figo and Maruti's Swift.

Original Source: The Economic Times dated March 27, 2012.
Old 29th March 2012, 21:29   #55
BHPian

Re: General Motors to launch Enjoy by year end

The Enjoy is as Chinese as it gets. It is a Chinese product which for obvious reasons of market entry into India is labeled as a Chevy.

The 'Enjoy' sells as the Wuling Hong Guang in China, and is the company's first original made-in-China MPV . So basically the Indian customers will be sold a completely CHinese product with an American badge. Long live Globalization.

GM has a stake in SAIC, but SAIC itself has multiple 'joint ventures' with Buick, VW, Chevy, Skoda and a few others and is a manufacturing powerhouse in itself ($33Billion turnover, 3.6 Million vehicle units produced last year).
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-hongguang1.jpg  

NinadJoshi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 22:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

This is a back door entry for chinese to enter India.
I am sure with the name Wuling Hong Guang, we would have thought that its a name of a person rather than a car itself.

I personally dont feel good looking at these ventures as it will unnecessarily spoil the chevrolet only. The quality levels of chinese were never acknowledged by we India's and there are enough examples.
Lets see how this rebadging works.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 22:21   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
This is a back door entry for chinese to enter India.
I am sure with the name Wuling Hong Guang, we would have thought that its a name of a person rather than a car itself.
Let us wait and see how many Indians will buy this chinese product. But i do not consider this as a back door entry. In fact when GM India (while its US Parent was Government Motors), needed money and new models and approached SAIC. Good part, probably GM INDIA is still alive because of its SAIC tie up(money), bad part is yes, we will see more chinese models than GMs other international brands in India.
But one thing to mention is, this is a new segment and not much competition from Indian manufactures. This will force our Indian manufactures (Maruti, Tata, Mahindra) to react quickly with competing products if the segment catches up.

Last edited by teamveevee : 29th March 2012 at 22:23.
Old 29th March 2012, 22:35   #58
BHPian

Huge Dislike!
Chevrolet will be totally ruining its image in India and my car's nearly non existent resale value will totally vanish.

With all the rebadging going on in the car industry right now, a day will arrive when one will totally confused which brand to trust and which to avoid since every vendor would be selling the same engine in the same (or another) avatar...

Renault takes its farther and changes the old saying to "Old wine, in the same bottle" with the Micra and Sunny replicas.
Old 29th March 2012, 22:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

I thought the Tavera was getting a bit too dated when they introduced the Neo 3 face lift. But Kudos to Chevrolet, for being proactive and launching a new MPV which looks a bit older than even the Tavera! And also, its overtly evident Chinese roots showing way too easily. Don't waste your time with this Chevy, better go get something to fit the City/Verna/Vento segment instead.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 29th March 2012 at 22:41.
Old 29th March 2012, 23:13   #60
BHPian

The world has slowly but surely accepting chinese products whether we like it or not. Infact, most of the gadgets that we use is made in china. The perception of chinese products being low quality is changing.
My recent trip to china has changed my perception about china, its people, infrastructure completely. China is lightyyears ahead of india in almost every aspect. Their roads, infrastructure in general, airports, rail terminals, public transport is much much better than some of western countries as well. I agree that development is not even across china since some of their tier3 cities are yet to catch up; but trust me, I no longer compare india to china. Coming back to the topic of cars, its just a matter of time before we see flooding of chinese cars in india. The cars that I sat in beijing were mostly chinese made and the build/ride quality is far superior compare to our desis. My point is simple + let's not shun a product just because its from china. I'm sure that It will be much better than tatas, marutis etc.
harishpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks