Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 12:35   #31
BHPian

re: BMW/ Mercedes India 2012 model updates,

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
With all due respect to Hormzad, he being a mass market journalist, would have little info from the companies as the information he prints would have adverse effect on sales of current models,

And coming to manual transmission, due to absolutely nil demand, and the fact that Mercedes too in 2010 withdrew from the manual transmissions, do not expect them anytime soon unless suddenly a large chunk of clients stop buying cars from BMW because they did not have manuals,

Also with new CKD rules on engines and transmissions it makes it very expensive to have a few manual kits, even the 1 is not planned in manual,

Mini being a cbu too does not get a manual, as it would also require service centres to invest more in an already high investment,

Regards,
Any update on the FTA being signed with the EU, which will make all european cars cheaper by about 15%?
Old 18th January 2012, 15:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly Off Topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
No more beamers for me now till they change their policy on compulsory runflat tyres. I got stranded in Mahableshwar on New years eve as one of the runflats on my X5 went completely flat without any advance warning. Luckily the car was parked at home when it happened. I had to call another car from Mumbai with a good condition spare that I had retained when I replaced my tyres. Spent an entire day on my holiday just co-ordinating this mess. Just not worth the hassle.

Indian roads are just not fit for run flat tyres. If run flats are an option in Europe, I dont see why BMW India is hell bent on forcing them on Indian customers. Have heard loads of complaints from other BMW owners as well.
Just a thought - Why don't you create a thread here asking for inputs from various users of BMW about their experience with RFTs. All those owners also contact their friends who own Beemers and get a mail or so from them and post their experiences on t-bhp on their behalf. Once we have a sizeable material, some one could send a mail to BMW management with a pointer to the thread and ask why is it mandatory in India when Europe get the option.

Also the potential customers could pour in and let BMW know what they indeed prefer, RFTs or tubeless ones! Such a MASS movement could let BMW think about introducing tubeless tyres at least as an option or let the owners change to tubeless without affecting warranty.

India being a good market for BMW, chances are high that they will listen. Am sure when individuals go & complain, they tend to take it easy. But don't think they will turn deaf to a powerful forum like team-bhp !

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the expensive brands and neither have been in a BMW till date. Am not sure any such movements have been done prior as well. Just thought something like a thread might make a difference and suggested it. I actually thought RFT is a global standard for BMW.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th January 2012 at 15:19.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 18:02   #33
BHPian

Great idea SwiftnFurious! Will get around to it when I have some more time. I know of atleast 3 other people who have got stranded on highways with their BMWs in a similar way. One of then incidently was the MD of a german component manufacturer and my cousin, who is a big supplier to BMW. Infact he even took up the matter quite high up in BMW india but nothing came of it. I guess until there's a bigger hue and cry they are not going to do anything about it.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 19:32   #34
Team-BHP Support

^^Agreed that BMW should at least give an option for the customer to choose normal tyres instead of the standard Run-flats (more so because they are doing it in other markets).

I personally consider RFTs as a safety innovation. For me, the ideal scenario will be to have BMW provide RFTs and spare wheel as standard. I feel the biggest issue is their decision to do away with the spare wheel.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 21:06   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just a thought - Why don't you create a thread here asking for inputs from various users of BMW about their experience with RFTs
There is already a thread , couple of experiences as well !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...go-flat-2.html
Old 19th January 2012, 21:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply but few points from my side,

BMW has run flats as standard everywhere and as far as I know only the SAVs had them as optional which also is now not there as the new X3 comes with RFTs as standard, so deep is their philosophy that every new model is specifically tuned for ride and handling with RFTs and which is why each new model generation is adapting better to its firm compound,

BMW will never give up on RFTs, unless there are some serious issues with the technology itself, yes few people have a problem with it but problems of different kinds exist everywhere my only gripe is why the new BMW boots do not even have a space for a spare wheel, not even a space saver, that little bit could be done, but trust me no customer complains will help as overall it's been well accepted and like I said more then them changing to normal tyres a better solution is more tyre shops along the highways etc and also space for a spare wheel so those skeptical can have one,

Lastly, do remember I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here, I'm just stating some facts as its quite a misleading comment when a comment like BMW offers options outside India come in, and if there is any country where they do please list it, as I am not aware and am sure of most EU and US markets,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG

Any update on the FTA being signed with the EU, which will make all european cars cheaper by about 15%?
BikerSG,

Am told it should be done in the next two quarters, but please do not take my word this is not direct news from me, but some CBU launches apparently are being delayed as they are waiting if this happens, again third party information so if wrong please do not run after me

Regards,

P.S - there already is a thread for RFTs which turbanator has posted so is it possible for a mod to move all RFT posts there to keep this thread on topic as this has gone way off topic and is also unwanted here. Sorry if I sound rude.

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 19th January 2012 at 21:50.
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 01:01   #37
BHPian

Re: BMW/ Mercedes India 2012 model updates,

From my experience, I have a space saver spare which has never been used till date! Given that you get low pressure warnings before it gets flat, you still have the chance to drive towards a puncture repair/air pressure shop. I usually just top up the pressure and continue driving until I really have good time to get it really repaired (usually when back home). Yes, I'm alert about how soon it could loose significant pressure again, to make such decisions.

And getting flat quick requires something like a screwdriver to tear apart your rubber kingdom. Rare, but it may happen. Even more rare in RFTs (because they have thicker walls around their kingdom).

The only reason I would recommend a space saver is for that rare night when you're about to get stranded on road with a flat, with no repair shop nearby. Or maybe I would recommend an RFT for that.
Old 20th January 2012, 22:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240

BikerSG,

Am told it should be done in the next two quarters, but please do not take my word this is not direct news from me, but some CBU launches apparently are being delayed as they are waiting if this happens, again third party information so if wrong please do not run after me
It was in yesterday's newspaper (or was it today's?). Announcement expected 10th feb. but duty reduction only for CBU's expected. And might be limited to fixed number of cars per year.
Old 30th January 2012, 13:19   #39
BHPian

@S350L-E240 Do you know when the facelifted A4 is being launched?
Old 30th January 2012, 13:33   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
Todays FT.com states that Euro car manufacturers are pretty peeved with the terms
  • Duty exemptions on all cars from India
  • 15% tariff on cars imported from europe

They deem it one sided considering Indian cars will come over in the 1000's and european cars will be imported in 100's
Old 30th January 2012, 21:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Spent some wonderful time with fellow Bhpian H@rshal with a BMW 640d in Individual Carbon black paint with M pack and LED headlamps, a first for BMW and have to say the execution of LEDs is stunning unlike how some others force LEDs into their lights,

Loved the 640d for its performance and mileage and best part being no worries for fuel if you are on my side of the country where we do not get the higher octane fuel,

Also we were literally forced to drive the BMW 330d convertible, I seriously would not buy it or even recommend anyone buy it at this stage as in next few months the whole new gen of BMW 3 based coupes and convertibles will be out,

H@rshal has some pictures which I'm sure he will upload in due course, will be test driving the C63 AMG tomm,

Regards,

BikerSG,

Sorry for the late response but am not aware of A4 launch but should happen in Q2 2012 unless they have a lot of inventory of existing models to clear which is where BMW is stuck with X1, and same happened to Mercedes about C class facelift, but Q2 is my guess between April - June,

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
@S350L-E240 Do you know when the facelifted A4 is being launched?
Old 30th January 2012, 21:17   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

s350- looking forward to the 640d review
Old 30th January 2012, 22:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Was another evening well spent. The 640d was a master piece and the exterior paint job was insane.

I personally found the 640d a practical car for indian driving conditions. With a good 0-100 timings the driver still has the "sports" car feel and also is easy on the pocket.

The 330d was just a so-so car. Honestly had we not been pushed to test drive it, we wouldnt have bothered.

A few pics of the 640d & the 2 x 330d convertibles at the showroom. The black was parked inside and we drove the white one.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120130_221350.png
Views: 2020
Size:  334.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120130_221402.png
Views: 1249
Size:  301.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120130_221416.png
Views: 1510
Size:  309.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120130_221432.png
Views: 1149
Size:  292.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120130_221449.png
Views: 1458
Size:  358.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120130_221505.png
Views: 1209
Size:  329.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120130_221505.png
Views: 1209
Size:  329.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120130_221611.png
Views: 1168
Size:  300.4 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 30th January 2012 at 22:18.
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 17:08   #44
BHPian

@S350L-E240,Thanks for the info! I booked a 530d in October and its due to be delivered by the end of Feb. Is there any way of finding out whether it will have the new 258hp engine along with all the new features you mentioned?
Old 31st January 2012, 19:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

It will be with the new engine, the old lots were over long back, some dealers had a car or two but I think by now the entire old stock is out,

Also this year the updates are more applicable to the lower end models esp. 525d which gets an all new engine, and the drive dynamic control which earlier existed on 530d only,

But you will love Eco pro and the new rear seat, all in all a big congrats for the finest car in the segment and that HUD with Navigation will make you think you are in a cockpit,

X1 is being cleared now,

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP9994 View Post
@S350L-E240,Thanks for the info! I booked a 530d in October and its due to be delivered by the end of Feb. Is there any way of finding out whether it will have the new 258hp engine along with all the new features you mentioned?

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 31st January 2012 at 19:24.
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks