Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 22:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

2012 Chevrolet Tavera Neo 3 Launched

GM has launched the updated Chevrolet Tavera Neo 3 starting from Rs.6.72lakhs for the base BS3 variant going all the way to Rs.10.02lakhs for the top end LT BS4 7 seater variant.

The BS-III variants have the same old 2.5 litre 78 BHP turbo charged engine whereas the BS-IV variants get a new 2 litre common rail engine with an output of 106 BHP borrowed from ICML Sonalika.

Exterior changes are minimal with the usual front headlamps and bumper getting a makeover.

The interior features a revised dashboard with different instrument cluster and smaller diameter steering wheel.

Looks like GM has just sneaked this in a day before the launch of the facelifted Xylo. If you find the Xylo to be too boxy and your a fan of conventional SUV designs this one still looks good IMO.

Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 22:15   #2
BHPian

Re: 2012 Chevrolet Tavera Neo 3 Launched

The taxi segment will be mighty pleased with the new engine! Hopefully it last as long as the old one.
The tires look small though! Interiors look decent and well put. One will have to wait and watch what impact this will make when the refreshed xylo is launched!
Old 7th February 2012, 22:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

IMHO The Tavera looks a lot better than most of the other people movers.

This is a segment that is seeing a lot of action. I wish it well.
Old 7th February 2012, 22:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not much changes on the exterior, but the interior looks better. But I think the beige will be tough to maintain.

Is the interior shot of the highest variant? Do they still offer the choice of an enlarged passenger seat and two vertical seats on the last row?
Old 7th February 2012, 22:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am quite dissatisfied here. Assuming that the version displayed here is the Top Model (Alloys) I am seeing a spartan interior and no steering controls. Cars costing 3-4 lesser and from segments below SUV/MUV are offering steering controls. I would have prefered a Cruze ish steering wheel.

There is nothing to me at least that offers the OOMPH factor towards this MUV. IMHO XYLO/Bolero has a better dash and at least the facelift is rumoured to have steering controls.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 7th February 2012 at 22:52.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 00:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

With interiors like that I don't think GM would find any private buyers for this. It ruled the cab market once, maybe they are targeting the cabbies again. If it matches Xylo in terms of features and undercuts it in terms of pricing, it might gain some of the lost ground again.
Old 8th February 2012, 00:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The site has not been updated with the price details of BS4 yet! Currently the BS3 version price starts at 6.82L ex showroom Delhi. Considering this as the price of old model, they have reduced a 10K for the starting range.

Take a look at the website and you will go mad. They have 11 variants in the BS3 line up for commercial use & 2 ambulance variants!! Considering that they will load up the BS4 variants details in a similar fashion, there will be 22 variants to choose from !!

Gosh, some body please re-position the variants for God's sake!

PS:: Does anyone have any idea on the price difference between BS3 & BS4 engines, varaint to variant ?? Also how reliable & performing is Sonalika's engine ?

Official website: Chevrolet Tavera Neo 3 | GM Tavera Neo 3 - Chevrolet India

Edit:: Have to admit, I loved the side seats of Tavera more than Sumo & Qualis! I found it seriously comfortable and would any day prefer those over a Sumo or Qualis!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th February 2012 at 00:22. Reason: Addng "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 00:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sonalika's engine is a reliable Lotus engine that has been tuned by Bosch engineers in India to INDIAN conditions (no accent crdi style mess here) and has done well. The product failed for reasons other than its gine

Their variant list is matched only by Fair & Lovely in its complexity. Even Lays sells lesser SKUs
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 01:06   #9
BHPian

Hardly any differentiating factors on the exterior and interior seems lot better, but still looks dated though.
Is there an option for ABS& airbags on top Variant?
Old 8th February 2012, 01:19   #10
BHPian

Why is Chevrolet using ICML engines? They have their own 2 litre unit in their Captiva and Cruze. They can detune the engine, put an Fixed Geometry Turbo charger and put the same in Tavera.
Am I correct in thinking that Tavera is rear while drive which uses longitudinal mounted engine while their cruze and captiva are front wheel drive which use transverse mounted engines ? Is this the prime reason for not sharing the engines between cars of the same company?
Old 8th February 2012, 04:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
IMHO The Tavera looks a lot better than most of the other people movers.
+1 bblost. I personally like the lean no-frills looks of Tavera. The interiors are also airy and roomy. The vehicle looks robust and the focus is more on functionality than form.
Old 8th February 2012, 05:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

10.2 lakhs for the top end version is a little too much in my humble opinion.
Old 8th February 2012, 05:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Tavera has been a favorite with taxi segment and the changes will make them happier, this one looks slightly better then the older one and also there are more engine options.

My guess is BS3 engine will sell more as it would be cheaper, only in cities where BS4 is mandatory BS4 will sell. I am not sure if BS4 is now applied in NCR and 13 other cities, it was supposed to come into effect in April 2010.
Old 8th February 2012, 05:38   #14
Team-BHP Support

Half hearted approach, i would say! They should have atleast provided better door handles for a more contemporary exterior.

I still feel that the private market would put their money on the Xylo over the Tavera.
Old 8th February 2012, 08:11   #15
Team-BHP Support

If you are six foot tall, the rear most seats are not for you. My firsthand experience!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks