Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 20:54   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento catches fire. Owner dies from burn injuries

Looks like there may be inherent issue with the Rapid/Vento model - the TDi ones. This is the second such report. Hope Skoda/VW addresses it quickly and does a recall to fix the problem part.
Old 2nd April 2012, 21:15   #287
BHPian

@Ezhil/Rahulkool : if it's merely switching off the fuel pump, it's clearly not a major fire control system, I was thinking more on the lines of fire-resistance material and electronic/thermal sensors.

@Skywalker : not two but three , there was another Vento reported that caught fire in a mall parking. There may be more cases we haven't heard of.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:56   #288
BHPian

Time to remind everyone that no logical conclusion has come for owners death! With the Skoda Rapid going through the same situation, it shows clearly that something is missing here.

When the TATA Nano had similar issues (no death), the TOI media made it a big issue! Is TOI silent because VW gives huge contribution to TOI advt revenue (remember the innovative talking ads)?
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:50   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
When the TATA Nano had similar issues (no death), the TOI media made it a big issue! Is TOI silent because VW gives huge contribution to TOI advt revenue (remember the innovative talking ads)?
I beg to disagree with this. IMO the Tata Nano has had a lot more media attention from announcement, concept, planning, launch given that it was marketed so widely as the world's cheapest car. Add to that the fiasco at Singur, the Nano had already become the cynosure of the media eyes. So incidents like a fire would naturally bring more attention and coverage than any other car. Sure the media houses could give better coverage to these incidents with the Vento and the Rapid but then these cars don't have that kind of a brand recall like the Nano has which has been marketed so much. Also there are an equal no. of cars from other manufacturers which have had similar incidents and have not been covered in the media. Tata Nano incidents have received additional attention simply because the Tata group had themselves seeked so much attention for the Nano in all respects. There is a flipside to everything IMO.
Old 5th April 2012, 16:23   #290
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

On a side / addtional note:

Fire Prevention Systems that cut off car fuel supply links normally get activated in case of accidents and other such circumstances.

A fire could also be triggered by sparking in relays and the covering plastic going into flames and then spreading fire to the upholstery materials. Feel that more and more of the interior materials should be made from fire resistant components.
Old 5th April 2012, 17:01   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I beg to disagree with this. IMO the Tata Nano has had a lot more media attention from announcement, concept, planning, launch given that it was marketed so widely as the world's cheapest car.
Agree, but sometimes it just media manipulation. Do you remember media continuously covering delhi buses fire. " Katil buses" " Jaan lene wali buses"

These tata buses dint even have any prior cover.
Old 5th April 2012, 22:37   #292
BHPian

Heard on news channel today, a Vento Trendline caught fire in ITC Mughal (Agra) parking lot. This is serious now
Old 5th April 2012, 23:36   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Agree, but sometimes it just media manipulation. Do you remember media continuously covering delhi buses fire. " Katil buses" " Jaan lene wali buses"

These tata buses dint even have any prior cover.
Yup and I think back then it was when Delhi buses were being converted to CNG under transport department and court directives. I don't think the focus was on Tata back then but more on faulty CNG kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Heard on news channel today, a Vento Trendline caught fire in ITC Mughal (Agra) parking lot. This is serious now
This becomes way beyond serious. Is there any link to this news report?
Old 6th April 2012, 11:40   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
This becomes way beyond serious. Is there any link to this news report?
Seems like the VW PR is working really hard now! I saw this news last evening on ETV UP channel, I cant seem to find any mention of it Online.

ETV UP even showed a clip of the car burning, this was a white trendline Vento, there was a white Polo parked next to it, which was totally damaged because of the heat from the burning Vento
Old 6th April 2012, 12:02   #295
Senior - BHPian

I hope these new incidents are some movie stunts otherwise it is quite serious. 3 separate incidents in just a few months just beggars all belief in VW. Added to that company's silence is deafening! I hope they are really trying hard to find out the defect(s), if any, and to fix them as soon as possible. In any case people are going to find it very difficult to accept if they absolve themselves of any manufacturing defects (even if there are none). Very tough situation to be in here.
Old 8th April 2012, 10:10   #296
Senior - BHPian

I happened on something on the web which appears relevant to this discussion. I am pasting the link (it's American and an old article - dates back to 2003). I say relevant because among the various rants the writer has stressed upon the potential fire risk in VWs.
http://www.cars-that-suck.com/

P.S. He has deliberately misspelt the name.

(Mods - pl delete if inappropriate)
Old 14th April 2012, 23:04   #297
BHPian

14th April 2012 update: Yet another VW Vento catches fire! This time at a tollbooth at DND flyway, Delhi. The passengers were saved as 5-6 toll guys rushed with fire extinguishers.

Source- https://www.facebook.com/Volkswageni...34045076655351
Old 14th April 2012, 23:16   #298
Senior - BHPian

All of them have happened from under the hood. Hope VW takes it seriously before it prospective buyers start doubting the car.
Doesnt make sense to doubt modifications to electricals since Vento modifications would be nothing compared to other cars.
Old 14th April 2012, 23:29   #299
BHPian

Thats quite a lot of Ventos on fire and that too in different parts of the country!

I am surprised how has this been out of the news for so long now? Sounds very implausible that the news channels haven't got wind of this yet.
Old 14th April 2012, 23:46   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
14th April 2012 update: Yet another VW Vento catches fire! This time at a tollbooth at DND flyway, Delhi. The passengers were saved as 5-6 toll guys rushed with fire extinguishers.

Source- https://www.facebook.com/Volkswageni...34045076655351
A user named Mustang.101 has reported this incident on forum Gearheads - Is he the same person who has the same name over here in T-Bhp? He could not click any pictures so we might have to wait for the newspapers to report it tomorrow. Good thing is - No one died. But all such incidents are really worrying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks