Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 20:00   #181
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Volkswagen Vento catches fire. Owner dies from burn injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Investigations and publication of findings do take time.

Notwithstanding the above I do feel that VW should show magnanimity and compensate the family of the owner of the Vento adequately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Fourth-just overtly blaming the manufacturer without knowing the real facts-and that to so early.

Let us first see the results, then make conclusions.
It is unlikely that a company would compensate unless verdict has been established. So yes, lets wait for the report. VW's reaction has been as per expectation so far.

Last edited by dot : 10th February 2012 at 20:01.
Old 10th February 2012, 20:55   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post
I am commercially involved with this company so i suppose its against the rules of the forum to share any information.

In case mods allow me to share the information , I will go ahead
This is very useful information. If not in this thread, I hope the MODS allow you to post details of the details on how to get the seats fire-retardant treated.
Old 10th February 2012, 21:06   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penlax View Post
This is very useful information. If not in this thread, I hope the MODS allow you to post details of the details on how to get the seats fire-retardant treated.
Its actually Flame Retardant treatment.
Old 10th February 2012, 21:57   #184
Senior - BHPian

My keyring is a glass breaker with belt cutter. the device can be pulled out even if the key is stuck in the dash. I also have a multi purpose pocket knife in the small utility compartment. We can't avoid every danger but we can be prepared as far as we can.

Amazon.com: ResQMe, The Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Black): Automotive

Recently my friend had to cut open his seat belt after it was strangulating his kid (the belt just keeps tightening slowly).
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 23:11   #185
Senior - BHPian

VTEC Guy, you are 100 per cent right. Times of India screamed about Nano fire incident but is silent about Vento fire. I will openly accuse TOI of bribery. If I were Tata Motors head, I would have sued TOI. This is nothing short of yellow journalism. Instead of lauding and appreciating an Indian effort, read Nano, all we do is try to rub its nose in the dirt. Is TOI blind? Couldn't they see the big VW batch on the hood and trunk?
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 00:12   #186
BHPian

Quote:
I am commercially involved with this company so i suppose its against the rules of the forum to share any information.

Quote:
Its actually Flame Retardant treatment.
I guess you can PM the mods about opening a separate thread about it. I googled 'Flame Retardant treatment' and a couple of things came up. Discussing it here would take the discussion OT.
Old 11th February 2012, 02:35   #187
Senior - BHPian

Guys, be aware that flame retardants are being studied and even banned for being carcinogenic.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 04:59   #188
Zed
BHPian

Its good to hear sane voices reiterating the fact that we cannot pass judgement on the manufacturer until there is clear evidence that points towards a defective part or design. At the same time I think we can unanimously state that the RTOs are not competent to deliver a credible report on what went wrong. For gods sake they cant even execute their basic task of certifying someone as a good driver before granting them a DL.
Old 11th February 2012, 05:05   #189
Senior - BHPian

One strong possibility - rats chewing off wires , leading to short circuit ?

I remember my friend getting her aviator rat proof by covering wires with some shiny silverish material from the dealer itself for 400rs.

I know it will be difficult to do the same for cars, but it can be done for most wires i guess
Old 11th February 2012, 10:28   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
My keyring is a glass breaker with belt cutter. the device can be pulled out even if the key is stuck in the dash. I also have a multi purpose pocket knife in the small utility compartment. We can't avoid every danger but we can be prepared as far as we can.

Amazon.com: ResQMe, The Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Black): Automotive

Recently my friend had to cut open his seat belt after it was strangulating his kid (the belt just keeps tightening slowly).
Looks like a good tool to have in car. Need to find out retailer in India.
Old 11th February 2012, 11:01   #191
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks. As long as your post is 100% objective and is submitted with the intention to share information (no marketing), we welcome it . At the end of the day, all of us are here to learn.

Please open a new thread on fire retardant materials. Appreciate the support.

Also, let's stop this thread from going off-topic.
Old 11th February 2012, 23:04   #192
BHPian

My condolence to Mr.Gupta's family. Its unfortunate.
Personally, I'm worried (along with all others) since i too own a vento TDI .
I went to the showroom in bangalore & inquired about the fuel filter problem that everyone is talking about. Most importantly, this incident too.
The SA informed me that he wasn't aware about all these. It sounded like they've been asked to pretend that way.
However, doing everything behind the woods doesn't sound professional for a world class car manufacturer.

Last edited by mail2vm : 11th February 2012 at 23:05.
Old 12th February 2012, 00:02   #193
BHPian

A suggestion: Many of us posting or reading this thread will have facebook accounts. Can all/most of us post on VW's wall about this incident?

I recall reading in this thread that VW has taken down links to reports about this incidence from their wall. Given that a life has been lost, the matter is extremely serious, and we should do our best to prevent VW from hushing up this matter.

Similarly, for major newspapers that did not carry this story, it is better to write on their online forums/ send old-fashioned letters to the editor pointing out the difference in treatment Vs the nano fires. And ask them to do a report on the matter, pushing the police and VW India to come out with the truth.

From the Jessica murder case to cases of corruption, persistent media and legal scrutiny is the only thing that I've seen work in our country - in terms of realizing the facts and bringing the guilty party to justice.
Old 12th February 2012, 00:15   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
A suggestion: Many of us posting or reading this thread will have facebook accounts. Can all/most of us post on VW's wall about this incident?

I recall reading in this thread that VW has taken down links to reports about this incidence from their wall. Given that a life has been lost, the matter is extremely serious, and we should do our best to prevent VW from hushing up this matter.
I did posted link of this thread on VW page and they deleted in few minutes. I again posted the link with other accounts and all were deleted within one hour.

Now this is very sad on behalf of VW. If they are clean then why the company is so afraid of poor marketing. They should reply to the link responsibly. A life is lost because of fire in a new car. I agree VW may not be 100% responsible but still they are as a manufacturer. If aftermarket installments cause fire then 5 out of 10 cars will burn every day and the owner will be held responsible because of aftermarket fitment. Never seen a modded Honda burning into flames.

Saddest thing is that there is no official statement from VW on this issue.
Old 12th February 2012, 01:43   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
My keyring is a glass breaker with belt cutter. the device can be pulled out even if the key is stuck in the dash.

Amazon.com: ResQMe, The Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Black): Automotive.
This is pretty nifty and could come in handy at times. Do you have the same one? Can we get it in India or more specifically Bangalore?

Last edited by wickedchauhan : 12th February 2012 at 01:47. Reason: edited text
wickedchauhan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks