Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 11:35   #121
BHPian

Re: February 2012 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

A mistake when I tried dividing into sections. Thanks for pointing out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
Why is Sunny in B segment? It should be in C segment. And you have left out the Micra
Old 15th March 2012, 10:14   #122

I checked the spectacular Maruti Suzuki's resurgence being proposed on this forum against February 2012 car sales figures and market penetration. For computing market shares I added the Audi and BMW sales figure plus another 1500 units (my guess for the total sales of M-B, JLR Prosehe etc.) to the monthly figures appearing on the first page of this thread. The results (plotted) do not indicate any glaring underperformance for manufacturers other than Fiat and HM-Mitsubishi. I must admit that February car sales figures may not be a good starting point because corporations rush to the market in this kind of time frame looking for depreciation benefit (Septembers of Octobers are also to some extent similar when commoners become active).
Attached Thumbnails
February 2012 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-1.jpg  

Old 16th March 2012, 16:49   #123
BHPian

It would be interesting to see how the graph fluctuates this month,post budget hikes?
Does anyone have hike articulated in numbers per variant ?
I am told Brio would be 7K dearer :(
Old 26th March 2012, 11:15   #124
Senior - BHPian

A report in TOI today says 50% of passenger cars sold today run on diesel, in our country.
50% of passenger cars now sold run on diesel - The Times of India

I think in the coming years/s petrol car sales will plummet to single digits if the current policies carry on.

Last edited by wilful : 26th March 2012 at 11:18.
Old 29th March 2012, 18:00   #125
BHPian

Hi, Safari sales are also up - all because of discounts or the Storme launch poving to be a no show or negative reaction from the potential customers? Interesting as i20 sales showed a dip pre the facelift which was launched yesterday and ditto for City.
Old 30th March 2012, 07:55   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

"India surpassed every other country in 2011, including China, in sales of commercial vehicles, repeating its feat as the world's fastest growing truck and for the second successive year in a row.

Sales of commercial vehicles, mainly trucks, buses and lighter cargo vehicles grew 22% in 2011 year-on-year, higher than its global arch rival which posted a 10% dip for the same year. While US, once the world's largest CV market bounced back into the positive territory in 2011 posting a 13% growth year-on-year signalling some revival of the global automotive market. "

India tops commercial vehicles sales chart - The Economic Times
Old 30th March 2012, 11:13   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
A report in TOI today says 50% of passenger cars sold today run on diesel, in our country.
50% of passenger cars now sold run on diesel - The Times of India

I think in the coming years/s petrol car sales will plummet to single digits if the current policies carry on.
And we still have ppl on this forum who refuse to acknowledge that personal diesel vehicles are big time consumers of diesel fuel in India - and hence are against any corrective actions.
Old 30th March 2012, 11:28   #128
BHPian

% of diesel cars vs % of diesel fuel used are 2 different things.
While I still think that the later might not be a significant one, agree with your point that there s a need from the govt on recovering the diesel subsidy met out through early taxation during registration. I support such move - may be an additional 2% tax.
Old 30th March 2012, 15:31   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
"India surpassed every other country in 2011, including China, in sales of commercial vehicles, repeating its feat as the world's fastest growing truck and for the second successive year in a row.

Sales of commercial vehicles, mainly trucks, buses and lighter cargo vehicles grew 22% in 2011 year-on-year, higher than its global arch rival which posted a 10% dip for the same year. While US, once the world's largest CV market bounced back into the positive territory in 2011 posting a 13% growth year-on-year signalling some revival of the global automotive market. "

India tops commercial vehicles sales chart - The Economic Times
I am guessing there is a reason for this..
India owing to its crumbling infrastructure has lots of last mile (read small engine) commercial vehicles like the Ace, Gio and Maxx. Which distributes the load of one truck into 5 sub vehicles, if not more.

That might spurt the commercial vehicle sales number, but I would see it only as a sign of crumbling infrastructure not a sign of growth that we have to be proud about.

BTW, the petrol vs Diesel vehicles debate has been discussed a zillion times. Please dont bore us discussing the same topic again.. Please.

Last edited by xingamazon : 30th March 2012 at 15:32.
Old 30th March 2012, 15:36   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
And we still have ppl on this forum who refuse to acknowledge that personal diesel vehicles are big time consumers of diesel fuel in India - and hence are against any corrective actions.
That's because people on the forum know that diesel consumption is not due to private vehicles alone. It is used by industries (diesel generators), farmers, trains, armed forces, public transport across the country and by all trucks.

Compare the bus service of one city alone and compare to diesel consumed on a daily basis by private cars.

Diesel consumption in a private car is nothing compared to what the other industries consume.
Old 30th March 2012, 17:29   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That's because people on the forum know that diesel consumption is not due to private vehicles alone. It is used by industries (diesel generators), farmers, trains, armed forces, public transport across the country and by all trucks.

Compare the bus service of one city alone and compare to diesel consumed on a daily basis by private cars.

Diesel consumption in a private car is nothing compared to what the other industries consume.
Diesel use in industries (non-vehicular) is different grade as compared to auto grade diesel... I have closely worked with power generation & big plants constantly running on diesel generated power in different manufacturing concerns, & they do not use these on Sumos/ Boleros even (I asked this question to them to check whether this is any pilferage, & checked stock & other consumption parameters thoroughly).

Probably Jugaads can run on these.
Old 30th March 2012, 17:33   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Diesel use in industries (non-vehicular) is different grade as compared to auto grade diesel... I have closely worked with power generation & big plants constantly running on diesel generated power in different manufacturing concerns, & they do not use these on Sumos/ Boleros even (I asked this question to them to check whether this is any pilferage, & checked stock & other consumption parameters thoroughly).

Yes but it's still diesel. Grade may be different but it accounts for diesel consumed. Also the diesel is from the same refineries for both auto and industries.

Anyways lets not discuss more of fuel prices on this thread and wait for March sales thread to be up in a couple of days.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 17:54   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Anyways lets not discuss more of fuel prices on this thread and wait for March sales thread to be up in a couple of days.
Any speculations on the March figures. I am feeling it would be down by 8-10% (MoM) at least. Since March was a festival month (Holi, Gudi-Padwa/Ugadi etc), the dispatches in Februrary would have mostly been to pile-up the stocks for the festive season as well as keeping in mind the depreciation advantage month. This months figures could be a tad lower, any thoughts?
Old 30th March 2012, 19:00   #134
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Any speculations on the March figures. I am feeling it would be down by 8-10% (MoM) at least. Since March was a festival month (Holi, Gudi-Padwa/Ugadi etc), the dispatches in Februrary would have mostly been to pile-up the stocks for the festive season as well as keeping in mind the depreciation advantage month. This months figures could be a tad lower, any thoughts?
There were interviews from a few dealers from Bombay and Thane in the newspaper a few days ago. All of them said that Gudi Padwa sales were lower than last year.
Old 30th March 2012, 19:02   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP

they do not use these on Sumos/ Boleros even

Those days are numbered... With tighter CPCB norms for diesel gensets, not just emission, but even on noise levels (canopy mandatory), owning, maintaining and operating diesel gensets will be a costly affair, and they will not be able to use poor quality diesel.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks