Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 17:51   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2012 Ford Fiesta now starts at 723,000 (ex-Delhi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
The diesel is the main money spinner and as far as i can see the diesel prices have only been cut by 30k which is petty amount for a 10 lakh rupee car [on road price ]. When you look at the Verna with a monstrous engine, outstanding looks , great feature list, Hyundai sales and service network, resale value why would anybody give more than a glancing look to the Fiesta diesel model unless they are a ford loyalist.
Not without reason.
Chuck it into a corner at , lets say, a decent speed, and then youll know.
mayankk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 17:52   #17
BHPian

Excellent move by Ford. Given that VW has been beating about the bush in general with illogical price increases and skimping on features all the time, the entry level Fiesta diesel now takes the fight well into VW/Rapid territory and probably undercuts them pretty well. A quick look at the features and except for the alloy wheels and the manual a/c nothing stood out as differences between the entry level diesel of the Fiesta with that of the VW Vento HL. Hopefully this will make VW think seriously about how it prices and packages its products.
Old 14th March 2012, 18:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
This was much required. But have they really learned enough ? Was it so hard to realize the reason behind Figo's success ?

I still feel a drop of 40-50K further would have really brought them back into the game. But now with half battle lost, the 'Expensive' perception has already got into the minds of their customers who still prefers buying a Fiesta Classic

Painful for Ford, but true.

This segment really demands a well-rounded family sedan that also has aspirational value attached to it. Of course, the price cuts will get it onto more buyer comparisons, but it will keep getting dropped.

Look at the Petrol competition - how many sales can Ford realistically hope to push against the Honda?
And diesel - one look & feel inside and the competition - Vento, Verna, and Rapid, will continue to find more buyers. The Vento/Rapid sisters excel in driving dynamics as well.

And the Fiesta has the smallest amount of space among all these cars.

Ford's brand value and Fiesta's interiors are not a match to its competition in this segment. The Fiesta needs to be compelling VFM to sell well.

Last edited by guptad42 : 14th March 2012 at 18:22. Reason: Clarifying the post
Old 14th March 2012, 18:51   #19
BHPian

Ah! Better late than never.

And while we are setting the house straight, may we do something about the rear doors; at least provide a slot to slip in a pair of sunglasses and a newspaper, if nothing else.

If the plastic quality improves, nothing like it.

Do what you can Ford Motors, but do not touch the engine, the diesel one at least. It is tuned for super fuel efficiency.

when I submitted the last 6 month's fuel bills to Finance, they checked on my attendance records at the front desk. Finally, the Finance guy asked me casually if I was using other vehicles as well to commute to office. No my friend, I got myself the diesel Fiesta. And frankly, I am quite surprised myself.
Sugeeta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 19:00   #20
BHPian

Why No Ambiente variant for Diesel New Fiesta ??
Afterall its having all bells & whistles needed for a Modern Sedan today.

As seen from the New Price list, base Diesel & Petrol variants are still separated by Rs.1.76 lacs. Which is too much for atleast Rs.Sub-10 lakh car buyer & can make a Make or Break deal.
Old 14th March 2012, 19:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks StarScream, welcome move by ford. I feel the pricing of petrol variants are quite competitive, however still feel the diesel variants are tad overpriced. It was noted that the difference between petrol and diesel base variants were close to 1.75 lakhs, and for this you get an diesel mill, additional passenger airbag, cruise control, anything else? Even if there are few more, I still dont feel it justifies this huge increment over the corresponding petrol variant.

By the way small correction, the diesel base variant of fiesta undercuts the vento HL by close to a lakh. Recently VW have increased the prices to insane levels!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The diesel Style variant at Rs. 899,000 undercuts the Vento Highline (which is the variant it should be compared with based on features) by at least Rs. 24,000.
Old 14th March 2012, 19:10   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
I still feel a drop of 40-50K further would have really brought them back into the game. But now with half battle lost, the 'Expensive' perception has already got into the minds of their customers who still prefers buying a Fiesta Classic
Rightly said,
want a living example - Look at the Jazz
wildon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 19:36   #23
BHPian

Wonderfull news from ford!! This should have been done right from the start but its better late than never! I feel the fiesta will surely bring in more sales after the price cut! The rear seat space of the fiesta is decent and in some ways better than the verna .Ford could have added beige interiors to lighten the interiors but i hope the plastic quality has improved from the 2001 models. Now the only thing Ford should do is to market the car well and bring down the spare parts price and should not launch some ltd versions models to increase sales because its going to destroy whatever little resale value the fiesta has!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv007 View Post
the only real downside is the lack of rear seat space and according to the dealer in Coimbatore Ford is redesigning the rear seat for its 2012 model and the cars should hit the showroom in a month or two. They do not take orders for the Diesel Fiesta as of now.
I hope whatever your dealer told you comes true!! A little space management here and some contrasting colours there and the fiesta's backseat wont be a boring place to be in !

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 14th March 2012 at 19:37.
Old 14th March 2012, 19:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

I don't think this price cut is going to make a great deal of enthusiasm among the masses.
  • People looking for a cheap entry level petrol car will still opt for Honda city. The city looks better, has a proven engine, excellent space, awesome reliability and all that for a significant less amount of money (CE).
  • The diesel does not have a true entry level model. And with Skoda rapid in the limelight, it is a much better deal. Not to forget its amazing 1.6 TDi power-plant.
  • The ford has messed up big time. Not only by pricing it high. But also providing 1.5L Engine instead of 1.6. Hence with a reduced engine displacement it had to be priced at least 50K less than the competition which frankly is never going to happen.
  • And finally not providing an AT in the diesel model is beyond me. That place is pretty much competition free except the Verna.
On a different note, I don't like the rear design of Fiesta. And honestly speaking I don't care how much price is cut by Ford. I would have cared if they had given a 1.6L Diesel. I would have cared if they had given a hatch.
Old 14th March 2012, 19:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This car in much nicer to drive than the Honda or the VW, the only real downside is the lack of rear seat space and according to the dealer in Coimbatore Ford is redesigning the rear seat for its 2012 model and the cars should hit the showroom in a month or two.
That's interesting, although I doubt they can liberate significant space by tinkering with the seats. Space is the Achilles heel of this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Thanks StarScream, welcome move by ford. I feel the pricing of petrol variants are quite competitive, however still feel the diesel variants are tad overpriced. It was noted that the difference between petrol and diesel base variants were close to 1.75 lakhs, and for this you get an diesel mill, additional passenger airbag, cruise control, anything else? Even if there are few more, I still dont feel it justifies this huge increment over the corresponding petrol variant.

By the way small correction, the diesel base variant of fiesta undercuts the vento HL by close to a lakh. Recently VW have increased the prices to insane levels!!!
The diesel isn't overpriced when one considers the equipment. I think a fairer comparison is the petrol Style with the diesel Style. The entry level diesel-petrol variant comparison is misplaced because the Ambient trim has significantly lesser equipment.

If the Vento is a lakh more, then even better for Ford and I stand corrected. I compared the price in the Vento test drive thread. Obviously, things have changed a lot since then.
Old 14th March 2012, 19:55   #26
Team-BHP Support

Overall a welcome move. It will be interesting to see how this will transfer into sales figures.

On a separate note, the equipment levels look a bit odd (as per the spec. sheet in the website). Top end Petrol AT is better loaded than the Diesel with leather seats & ESP. Even the Style petrol AT gets ESP.
Old 14th March 2012, 20:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

IMO good move by Ford. Now we can expect even better priced Fiesta in near future in the form of 'Special Edition'

I had a short test drive couple of months back and I did not like the size and shape of the dashboard, bland looking rear and awkwardly placed power windows switches. Even the over all plastic quality is not what you expect in such a relatively costly car. Having said that I did not like the all new Honda City a bit. Steering wheel was as if its straight from an entry level car!! Leave alone the quality of material used. Vento does look and feel like a costly car.

By the way I felt Fiesta Classic is more spacious than the new Fiesta. Anyone else?
Old 14th March 2012, 21:58   #28
BHPian

A very good price correction by Ford. I suddenly feel Fiesta is playing good VFM card. Although the diesel could have been made a little more cheaper; IMO, I feel alloys instead of cruise control could have made a lot more sense for the diesel style variant considering the OTD price it comes down to.

Quote:
the only real downside is the lack of rear seat space and according to the dealer in Coimbatore Ford is redesigning the rear seat for its 2012 model and the cars should hit the showroom in a month or two. They do not take orders for the Diesel Fiesta as of now.
I so wish Ford is making this change!

BTW, did anyone happen to look into the features carefully in the website?

No DTE, fuel computer, or reading lamps on any of the models except Titanium+. I wonder why Ford touched the I.P and cabin lights while model rejigging to remove such much-needed features.

Last edited by vvijay : 14th March 2012 at 22:04.
Old 14th March 2012, 22:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
BTW, did anyone happen to look into the features carefully in the website?

No DTE, fuel computer, or reading lamps on any of the models except Titanium+. I wonder why Ford touched the I.P and cabin lights while model rejigging to remove such much-needed features.
Sounds crazy! The sxi in the Classic has 5 cabin lights!
Old 14th March 2012, 22:19   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Sounds crazy! The sxi in the Classic has 5 cabin lights!
My Fiesta ZXi has those 5!

I really didn't understand the model re-jig. Someone please put a nice old vs new chart

To add fuel to the fire, what's the price difference between the Classic SXi 1.6 Petrol and the Fiesta 1.5 Ambiente?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks