Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Is The Best All Rounder Car For India? A Jack Of All Trades?
MUVs Like Innova/Xylo/Aria/Ertiga 88 22.17%
Any Small Car In General, But Ideally, A Maruti! 49 12.34%
Segment Busters Like Yeti, Fusion, Jazz etc 95 23.93%
Fast, Luxurious, Not Too Big But Comfortable Sedan 80 20.15%
A Diesel 4x4 SUV. 65 16.37%
Others 20 5.04%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2012, 20:31   #31
BHPian

Re: Your Nomination For Best All Rounder Car In India

My vote goes to Any Small Car In General, But Ideally, A Maruti!

The reason is fast, easy in city traffic, reasonable maintenance, good after sales service and basically reliable. It is not only Maruthi but Hyundai can also be one of the reliable car manufacturers. Yes indeed sedans are luxurious and comfortable but still in some parts of city in extreme;y crowded areas parking and driving is an headache.

I personally feel the best all rounder car should be a hatchback with reasonable comfort, good after sales service and good resale value and off-course with diesel heart.

MUV/SUVs are good but cannot be a all rounder. I mean it is of much use on the highways and not suitable for city driving.
Old 25th March 2012, 20:44   #32
BHPian

A vehicle with Yeti's dimensions, On the fly Hi ratio only 4WD, 90 bhp MJD engine, made by Maruti would be ideal if priced @ 10L OTR.
Old 25th March 2012, 21:01   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
A vehicle with Yeti's dimensions, On the fly Hi ratio only 4WD, 90 bhp MJD engine, made by Maruti would be ideal if priced @ 10L OTR.
You mean this?

Your Nomination For Best All Rounder Car In India-370292250_5029b9cb5e.jpg

Your Nomination For Best All Rounder Car In India-fiatsedici_01_lg.jpg

It's basically a SX4 without boot, but with 4 wheel drive and 1.9 MJD engine.

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th March 2012 at 21:10.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2012, 21:05   #34
BHPian

My definition of an all round car would be
- It should neither be too small or too big and should be easily manoeuvrable
- It should be at home at both city traffic and highways
- Has decent luggage space
- Handle bad roads and a limited off road capability
- Reasonably fuel effecient

If you take out the price, I think Yeti and X1 would fit the bill. Ecosport when available could be a candidate.
Old 26th March 2012, 06:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

For me, the Yeti is the definitive all rounder as of now - not least because it is a segment buster, but because it combines the best things about a car (refinement, driveability, ergonomics, dynamics, compactness) with the best things in an SUV (including high GC, 4x4 and safety) and does its job like no other car in the country today.
I absolutely love my Yeti and would happily endorse the same to other who have similar usage /need requirements to mine.
Cheers
shankar.balan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 11:22   #36
BHPian

Hello,

I voted for Maruti. We have Alto K10 and think it is an all-rounder, especially for a family with limited disposable income. Have not experience the other cars so cannot comment on any of them.

yes, but given a choice we would like buying a Mahindra Bolero. The roads at my hometown in MP require rugged vehicles.

Thank you
Old 27th March 2012, 11:25   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Personally, I'd pick a medium-sized sedan, closely followed by a large hatchback. Reasons:

1. Sufficient space for 5 is more than what you need 99% of the time. When you have 6 onboard, rent! There's no need to carry a 3rd row of seats all the time if you are only going to use it 4 days in a year.

2. A sedan (over an SUV / MUV) is more fun to drive, more fuel-efficient, handles better and is a superior overall performer. A sedan is also easier to live with, in the city, than a large SUV.

3. My picks for all-rounder sedans (segment-wise):
C1 : Etios (Petrol) / Manza (Diesel)
C2 : Honda City & Linea T-Jet (Petrol) / Vento TDI (Diesel)
D1 : Toyota Altis & Honda Civic (Petrol) / VW Jetta (Diesel)

And to all those who insist that rough roads need an SUV, sorry, I have to disagree. In the last 15 years, there is no place in Maharashtra that I haven't visited (with my Esteem, Lancer, C220 & Civic) that an SUV owner has.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2012 at 11:28.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 12:34   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
PS: Isn't the logic of pre-owned DIESEL Yeti is flawed as we expect Diesels to have better resale value, horrible A S S of Skoda, expensive maintenance. So if the sale is already low, the owner is informed buyer, why will he sell or why will he sell cheap if at all, so its very tough to find a pre-owned Yeti (D) for a reasonable price for atleast 2 years IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I absolutely love my Yeti and would happily endorse the same to other who have similar usage /need requirements to mine.
Cheers
See? All I have to do is cut a deal right now with shankar.balan to sell his Yeti to me after X years at a reasonable pre-determined price - just like a Futures contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the last 15 years, there is no place in Maharashtra that I haven't visited (with my Esteem, Lancer, C220 & Civic) that an SUV owner has.
You had an Esteem and a Lancer? Any interesting tales? Was it a Lancer SFXi?
Old 27th March 2012, 12:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
See? All I have to do is cut a deal right now with shankar.balan to sell his Yeti to me after X years at a reasonable pre-determined price - just like a Futures contract.
So, you have proven me right. So, the perfect all-rounder is still 2 years away, if not more. Only Shankar.balan can decide on that. So YOU getting all-round car entirely depends on others. I think getting VFM Fusion TDCi is easier compared to Yeti.
PS : Can't add smiley as typing from mobile.
Old 27th March 2012, 15:02   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

To a large extent you can take a sedan to almost any place these days. But sometimes it helps if you have a MUV/SUV. For instance I usually visit Khatu Shyam ji ( 80 kms) from Jaipur, every 2-3 months. Now most part of this journey is fine and can be done in any car. But there are parts where a sedan loses out to an SUV. I used to take my Lancer SFXI earlier and also took my new Altis there now a couple of times. Both the cars bottomed out on 2-3 speed breakers ( those large ugly state highway breakers). The same is not an issue in the Innova. Again the roads in Rajasthan tend to melt away in the summer months. And at many stretches the road just ends on the sides rather then ease into the side. As a result if you take your car away from the road sideways then you will bottom out. Many a times oncoming buses and trucks in a bid to overtake you force you off the road atleast partially. The Lancer used to bottom out each time. Ofcourse if the highway is marked by a divider then this becomes a no issue.

Also all my Family members ( since they travel on the back seat) feel that the Innova is much more comfortable since it gives them a lot of free space to stretch there legs, sit crosslegged even if they feel like. The acres of space also allows them to keep some bags containing snacks and drinks easily in the leg space area. In a sedan it does tend to get congested.

So I still feel that a MUV may be a better option over a sedan if you plan to do even 3-4 long distance trips in a year.

Last edited by drmohitg : 27th March 2012 at 15:03.
Old 27th March 2012, 23:06   #41
BHPian

Interesting thread..

I was in the search for a new car in the 15 to 20 Lack bracket recently and I finaly settled for a new Skoda yeti elegance. I find the yeti to be a reasonably good allrounder car for the following reasons:

1. Wanted a small car to be driven in and around kochi and in the narrow kerala roads, a car which can be parked easily and took less parking space in the house - Dimensions of yeti helped..

2. Wanted a car with better ground clearane. Kearala roads are bad especially in mansoons and due to the bad experience from both my previous cars (civic and superb) this was one reason i seached for an SUVish car - Yeti fits the bill here. (I can now take my car to the door step of my native house in the village, which was not possible with my previous cars due to bottom scrapping issues)

3. Wanted a car with better fuel efficiency (Civic and superb, both petrol were giving very less) Yeti with a mileage around 16 in Diesel was much better here. All those butch SUV's i considered were also giving less mileage.

4. No hard core offroading. Very less travelling with 7 people onboard - no need for a proper SUV / MUV. I can always rent one as GTO pointed out

5. Due to frequent airport trips, boot space was an absalute necessity. Yeti with its parcel shelf removed can take large trolley bags in vertical position, and with the variable seating it can take virtually anything..

6. Some other points - higher driving position which i feel will give lesser fatigue,very good pick up, good drivability and handling typically European, 4x4 for smaller offroad runs, lot of bells and whistles in the elegance version, lot of attention on road due to very few yetis, safe car, maintenace cost upto 4 years is covered by the skoda shieldc etc etc.

Now with 2 Lakh discounts the on road price came to 17.3 Lakhs, which i felt is OK, even though I have to agree that it is still overpriced.

7. Now some negatives: Skoda A**, reliability issues later, price tag, lack of macho image of an SUV and may be a low resale value after 4 years...

Still I feel the yeti is an allrounder to a certain extend..(Maybe Iam biased )

Thanks
Catamaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 00:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
You mean this? It's basically a SX4 without boot, but with 4 wheel drive and 1.9 MJD engine.
Now that Xalpha is in the plans Maruti will never do it.

Otherwise this SX4 hatch would be ideal all purpose vehicle for people like me who can afford only 1 car at a time.

BTW i have driven this SX4 in Doha during a trade-in test drive. It was FWD with a 1.6 litre engine IIRC. i-research shows that now a 2L "4X4" is also introduced in GCC.
Old 28th March 2012, 05:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

My pick is Fast and Luxurious sedan, as most of the places we go the Sedans can go, there are about 10% places where they cannot go and we either end up using some other vehicle on rent or avoiding such places. These have been very few in last 5 years hence the choice.

I also feel excluding space, sedans are more comfortable to drive and for others to rest for long hours of drive. Of the various other cars and SUV's we have sat in, my daughter sleeps well in a sedan, although she was able to sleep in Innova as well, but had trouble in others.
Old 28th March 2012, 17:23   #44
BHPian

I would choose the FIGO as the best all rounder car due to the following reasons:

1. Total value for money
2. This car by ford actually opened doors for many to follow
3. Very comfertable and well balanced car
4. Excellent boot space and ride quality
5. A city and highway car, no second thoughts about it
6. Easy on maintainance

Cheers
Old 28th March 2012, 17:48   #45
BHPian

Quote:
A car that will not need a replacement for many years to come? What according to you is the car that offers the ideal mix of everything you need in a car
A vehicle that can go on and on for ever. It has to be a Toyota!. And the above quote(by smart cat) bought only one vehicle to my mind. INNOVA. That gets my vote. It is thoroughly reliable, easy to drive in the city or on the highway(although it lacks some grunt on the highway), comfortable for 7 people, can be configured to move the house and has decent rough road tackling ability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks