Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Is The Best All Rounder Car For India? A Jack Of All Trades?
MUVs Like Innova/Xylo/Aria/Ertiga 88 22.17%
Any Small Car In General, But Ideally, A Maruti! 49 12.34%
Segment Busters Like Yeti, Fusion, Jazz etc 95 23.93%
Fast, Luxurious, Not Too Big But Comfortable Sedan 80 20.15%
A Diesel 4x4 SUV. 65 16.37%
Others 20 5.04%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2012, 21:16   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your Nomination For Best All Rounder Car In India

Interesting discussion. I did vote for the Yeti, but thinking around, I am not sure if it can be classified as the best all-rounder in the market. IMO, it’s the best allrounder in its segment. It’s true VFM when compared to the other 5-seater SUVs/Softroaders.

Infact, a categorized representation (similar to the response by GTO), makes more sense.
Old 31st March 2012, 22:17   #92
BHPian

Like others said above, I too think there is no way to zero down to a perfect all rounder car. Its like wanting to have a perfect wife but you will eventually have to adjust with what you have!
eyesice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 11:07   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Like others said above, I too think there is no way to zero down to a perfect all rounder car. Its like wanting to have a perfect wife but you will eventually have to adjust with what you have!
+1 buddy. You can up-grade your car whenever you have the money and desire, but you can't up-grade your wife.

Anyways, I feel that we should select an all-rounder within every segment/body style which are most popular in India. Leaving super luxury brands and segments like Merc/LL/Jaguar etc. would be easier for the aam junta. Like:-

1. Hatch (Economy) - Under 4 lakh
2. Hatch (Premium) - 4 lakh & above
3. Sedan (Entry level) - Under 10 lakh
4. Sedan (Mid level) - 10 - 20 lakh
5. Sedan (Premium) - 20 - 30 lakh
6. SUV & MUV - Under 15 lakh
7. SUV - Under 25 lakh
8. 4*4

Please note, these are just estimates and the segments are roughly thought by me. May be it would require a different thread for discussion, as this thread is about all-rounder body-style.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 1st April 2012 at 11:12.
Old 1st April 2012, 17:02   #94
BANNED

My vote goes to
  1. Innova
  2. Ertiga
  3. Fusion/Jazz

Innova has got all the boxes checked except for PRICE !
Old 1st April 2012, 19:44   #95
Senior - BHPian

I think an all-rounder should be
1) Fast
2) Composed & agile
3) Comfortable
4) Compact but reasonably spacious
5) Reliable

My vote goes to
1) Vento / Rapid
2) Civic

I would have loved to include hatches as well, but unfortunately OEMs in India are not reluctant to make it a complete slouch just for a mere 2kmpl. Not so much with sedans.
Old 1st April 2012, 20:01   #96
BHPian

My vote goes for the Swift Diesel due to one all important reason :-

- an 'allrounder' should really be there across the masses. So hence even a person who is moving from a bike (like I did in 2009), the Swift Diesel was worth the money. I never felt an 'overload' moving on from a bike to a car. Maintenance was very low, running cost was very low, parts were available over the shelf, service centers everywhere. Everything was just perfect! So my allrounder for all such people and even youth (sportiness) and upper middle class (as a second car in family for city use) should be the Swift Diesel.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 00:25   #97
BHPian

Indigo eCS VX
Honda City
Ethios
Swift Dzire
Honda Jazz
Polo
Ertiga
Zen Estilo
Old 2nd April 2012, 09:50   #98
BHPian

My vote for all rounder goes to the ones who can address key parameters unique to India market (a) Space utilization; (b) Fuel efficiency, and (c) Dimensions. I personally feel that safety, though a desired feature still does not go into the category of "all rounder" (not to say that is not important, just saying its not the "key" criterion). I strongly feel that one criterion I and others would look into is the dimension of the car, and how to best maximize the space, given my parking size and the space allowed on roads :-)

My vote indeed goes to Jazz, Fusion (nice cars, bad marketing and pricing).

SUV's are niche, and so is a sedan in India.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:27   #99

My vote goes to Ford Fusion. It has all the parameters that are needed. It has good GC, very good boot space and excellent fuel efficiency. Also, driving a fusion is very comfortable also(I have driven it just once and I actually loved it overall). It's bad that Ford has DC this.

Also, Honda Jazz can also be considered as it also have the parameters that a Fusion has with Honda assurance.
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:15   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
What according to you is the best car for the Indian driving conditions? A car that will not need a replacement for many years to come? What according to you is the car that offers the ideal mix of everything you need in a car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Infact, a categorized representation (similar to the response by GTO), makes more sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Like others said above, I too think there is no way to zero down to a perfect all rounder car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I think an all-rounder should be
1) Fast
2) Composed & agile
3) Comfortable
4) Compact but reasonably spacious
5) Reliable
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchir911 View Post
My vote for all rounder goes to the ones who can address key parameters unique to India market (a) Space utilization; (b) Fuel efficiency, and (c) Dimensions. I personally feel that safety, though a desired feature still does not go into the category of "all rounder"
SUV's are niche, and so is a sedan in India.
The one observation I made out of all the posts in the thread, a sample of some has been quoted above, is that we haven't yet defined what parameters do we consider to call a particular vehicle as an allrounder.

Do you need a vehicle that's VFM?
Do you need a vehicle which has all the latest safety feature?
Do you need a vehicle that's lighter on the pocket or on the road?
Do you need a vehicle that will allow you to carry five people with luggage for a week comfortably, or a vehicle that will squeeze into narrow gaps in traffic to allow you to move ahead?
Do you need a vehicle with all the conceivable creature comforts or a bare bones functional one?
Do you need a vehicle which will scale different types of terrain with as much ease as the tarmac?

Essentially it's a mess. There are so many questions which need to be answered, and so many preferences or choices an individual can have, that there really is little objective comparison possible between various vehicles. Without defining what an 'all round' vehicle is supposed to be, i.e. laying down the parameters/criteria, it's not exactly best to solicit opinions. Unless you don't want to objectively evaluate the results and are merely trying to see what people have to say.
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:37   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Personally, I'd pick a medium-sized sedan, closely followed by a large hatchback. Reasons:

1. Sufficient space for 5 is more than what you need 99% of the time. When you have 6 onboard, rent! There's no need to carry a 3rd row of seats all the time if you are only going to use it 4 days in a year.

2. A sedan (over an SUV / MUV) is more fun to drive, more fuel-efficient, handles better and is a superior overall performer. A sedan is also easier to live with, in the city, than a large SUV.

3. My picks for all-rounder sedans (segment-wise):
C1 : Etios (Petrol) / Manza (Diesel)
C2 : Honda City & Linea T-Jet (Petrol) / Vento TDI (Diesel)
D1 : Toyota Altis & Honda Civic (Petrol) / VW Jetta (Diesel)

And to all those who insist that rough roads need an SUV, sorry, I have to disagree. In the last 15 years, there is no place in Maharashtra that I haven't visited (with my Esteem, Lancer, C220 & Civic) that an SUV owner has.
I have to almost completely agree with this post (except perhaps with the all-rounder picks), especially about people carriers like Innovas. Most of the Innovas I see on the roads usually have one driver and one or two passengers in them, which is something I've never understood.

Also, I think this poll would've made a LOT more sense if the classifications were by the officially defined vehicle segments. Alternatively, the OP could've nominated his picks for the top 10 all-rounders in the country and let people vote.
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:09   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

I would vote for an Innova or a used-Aria as it satisfies a lot of criteria. It is very spacious,comfortable. Its a diesel and has lots of punch. Can take abuse and given our road conditions,its GC is a boon.

For less space requirement,I would vote for Manza in the diesel sedan and City CE in the petrol category.

Among hatchbacks, Figo in the compact category and Jazz for higher space requirements.
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:51   #103
BANNED

I voted for 'Others', the rationale being -

With the kinda parking woes that we have across all the major cities, I would prefer a performance oriented Large Hatchback, typical examples being -

1) Optra SRV with the 2.0L TCDi mill.
2) Cruze hatchback with the 2.0L, 163 BHP mill.
3) An Audi 1 with an on road pricing of 15L
4) BMW 1- Series, again with an OTR of 15L
5) Merc A Class at 15L OTR.

Basically, you don't have to bother about the parking hassles, you get the same interior space that is being offered on the sedan version of the car and most importantly the heart remains the same as that of the sedan with a better power to weight ratio resulting in better performance.

And you get to save a few bucks !!
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:11   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Essentially it's a mess. There are so many questions which need to be answered, and so many preferences or choices an individual can have, that there really is little objective comparison possible between various vehicles. Without defining what an 'all round' vehicle is supposed to be, i.e. laying down the parameters/criteria, it's not exactly best to solicit opinions. Unless you don't want to objectively evaluate the results and are merely trying to see what people have to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

Also, I think this poll would've made a LOT more sense if the classifications were by the officially defined vehicle segments. Alternatively, the OP could've nominated his picks for the top 10 all-rounders in the country and let people vote.
Gentlemen - Isn't it a bit too late to talk about this? After 340 votes, 100 replies and 7 pages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
I voted for 'Others', the rationale being -

With the kinda parking woes that we have across all the major cities, I would prefer a performance oriented Large Hatchback, typical examples being -

1) Optra SRV with the 2.0L TCDi mill.
2) Cruze hatchback with the 2.0L, 163 BHP mill.
Agreed. VW Golf class hatchbacks are quite roomy and have 400 - 450 litres of boot space. Being a hatchback, 450 litres in such cars is more useable than 450 litres in the sedan version of the same car.

If the German Big Three manage to find success in the premium hatchback segment, it will have a trickle down effect and we'll probably see manufacturers bringing in Golf-class hatchbacks in the Rs. 10 Lac+ price range.
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:49   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Gentlemen - Isn't it a bit too late to talk about this? After 340 votes, 100 replies and 7 pages?
+1 to that Smartcat.

Guys, I personally think this is a laudable initiative by Smartcat. Let me say that it makes for some engaging content what with the range of cars available in, and the heterogeneity of the Indian market. It's pretty interesting to read different POVs and how requirements/interpretations can be vastly separated from person to person. Like someone mentioned earlier, the idea isn't to find a consensus, just collate/put out the myriad opinions and then let each person judge for himself/herself. The take-home for each one is meant to (and should) be different. And let's face it, the inherent ribbing and friendly banter that accompanies such open-ended polls only add to the fun!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 3rd April 2012 at 17:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks