Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Is The Best All Rounder Car For India? A Jack Of All Trades?
MUVs Like Innova/Xylo/Aria/Ertiga 88 22.17%
Any Small Car In General, But Ideally, A Maruti! 49 12.34%
Segment Busters Like Yeti, Fusion, Jazz etc 95 23.93%
Fast, Luxurious, Not Too Big But Comfortable Sedan 80 20.15%
A Diesel 4x4 SUV. 65 16.37%
Others 20 5.04%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 19:49   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Your Nomination For Best All Rounder Car In India

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Both the cars bottomed out on 2-3 speed breakers ( those large ugly state highway breakers).
Quote:
As a result if you take your car away from the road sideways then you will bottom out. Many a times oncoming buses and trucks in a bid to overtake you force you off the road atleast partially.
Quote:
The Lancer used to bottom out each time. Ofcourse if the highway is marked by a divider then this becomes a no issue.
Did you mean the cars scraped because of low GC?

Bottoming out is the situation where suspension runs out of travel and you hear that thud sound accompanied with a jolt.

Sorry for nitpicking.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 19:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

My vote to a small selectable 4X4 SUV - diesel powered - Reasons -
1. Space, comfort, right size (can carry family yet be nimble enough in traffic)
2. Reasonable ground clearance and 4X4 to manage our highly varying road conditions
Old 28th March 2012, 20:31   #48
BHPian

Smart thread - smartcat !.

Timed it well - when we have variety/options across segments. I still wonder - how do Hyundai sell Santro vs Eon vs i10 & Maruti's - Atlo vs Alto k10 vs A star vs Omni vs Estillo

It is like - One (your own) for ALL

My vote goes to 'segment busters' - considering the question is "... A Jack Of All Trades?"

Agree on Yeti - with Honda/Toyota badging, this could have gone places !.

Another one Jazz - if this was priced well in the first place & continued the delivery without disturbance, would have created a storm (say SWIFT-y few years back !)

On - "not too big, but comfortable sedan" - what happened to Swift Dzire (cut here & there !), and Rapid & Vento - different badge and some tweakings - same machine sold with different wrap !. This segment is sort of getting into do something & increase the sale !. Etios again - introduced a new Q class. Good in one way (affordability etc), but let us have some distinction please between segments !

[Note - am a jazz fan, so - i still say, Honda launched a premium Hatch & not a new segment ]
Old 28th March 2012, 21:05   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Did you mean the cars scraped because of low GC?

Bottoming out is the situation where suspension runs out of travel and you hear that thud sound accompanied with a jolt.

Sorry for nitpicking.
Hey my apologies for the error. I meant the car scrapped its bottom due to the low GC. There is always something new to learn on the forum .
Request you ( or other MODS) to infact edit my earlier post correcting the error.
Old 28th March 2012, 22:01   #50
BHPian

My Vote goes to the segment buster- That too Honda Jazz.
It can be a hatch, it can even be a sedan.

Golf kits, cycle, airport luggage, it takes them all.
It has 90 BHp power, is fully loaded, and has great interiors.

Also, the product is a great VFM now.
I even like Yeti, however, it is expensive!
Old 29th March 2012, 07:34   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Ha!
Life, earnings, responsibilities, prices and availability permitting, one day in the not too distant future I might want a Q3 or an XC60.
Lets see at that time if you still want the Yeti.
But jokes apart, I really love that Yeti - it is an excellent all rounder for my needs - and I surprised myself significantly by getting used to the lesser space than in the Scorpio - I think it is because the other advantages are just so many, which make the Yeti one of the best vehicles to hit the roads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
See? All I have to do is cut a deal right now with shankar.balan to sell his Yeti to me after X years at a reasonable pre-determined price - just like a Futures contract.

You had an Esteem and a Lancer? Any interesting tales? Was it a Lancer SFXi?
Old 29th March 2012, 10:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
See? All I have to do is cut a deal right now with shankar.balan to sell his Yeti to me after X years at a reasonable pre-determined price - just like a Futures contract.
+1. Am even ready for a Option contract - paying the premium now

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ha!
Life, earnings, responsibilities, prices and availability permitting, one day in the not too distant future I might want a Q3 or an XC60.
Lets see at that time if you still want the Yeti.
Best Wishes for you to get your desire (Q3/CX60) fullfilled soon.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:31   #53
BHPian

We Indians are famous for 'wasooling' most value from meagre prices we pay!! We use even tallboy hatchbacks for everything from family vehicles to highway trips to hauling loads.
special and pricey vehicles like SUVs are designed for multiple roles.
But the way hatchbacks serve as multi-purpose vehicles, in my opinion, nothing beats them when it comes to being all rounders.
Old 29th March 2012, 13:01   #54
BHPian

Indeed a very nice and smart thread created by smartcat.
First of all this thread will surely help many customers to decide their respective cars.
with smartcat and catamaran with their reasons for the yeti as i myself have voted for the 3rd option.
I think in the luxury range we have some good options with Audi Q5 and the coming Range Rover Evoque. I feel both the vehicles tick all the boxes previously mentioned by smartcat and catamaran for the yeti with all the practicality and loaded with features as well.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:10   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

What fun! Thanks for that!

Anyway for now, let me have some fun with the Yeti - at least for 3 more years or perhaps 4!

I quite agree with the other post just now about HatchBacks being the best all rounders - more than Sedans. After all, the Yeti is just a slightly larger hatchback, albeit with lots of gizmos and 4WD capability. Suits me fine indeed!

cheers
SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjiyap1 View Post
+1. Am even ready for a Option contract - paying the premium now

Best Wishes for you to get your desire (Q3/CX60) fullfilled soon.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:39   #56
BHPian

I voted for the market duds and for me, most of them made more sense than the hot selling models.
Ford Fusion - This is one car which I'm ready to grab, if launched again with modifications, especially the TDCi. Spacious, not bulky, small enough to be in city and decent highway manners.
Same is the case with Yeti. Same with Jazz too. All these were/are practical and ticked/ticks most of the boxes in a buyer's questionnaire.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:47   #57
BHPian

Very, very fragmented opinions! Looks like each type of cars has its own admirers. Which really goes on to reaffirm that no *specific* car can perfectly meet the needs of each individual. To each his own!

However, keeping in mind the original point of contention by @smartcat ("A car that will not need a replacement for many years to come") I voted for the segment busters which appear to have a little bit of everything: Bit Car, Bit SUV, Bit City, Bit Highway
Pity none of these cars appear to sell much, though!
Old 29th March 2012, 14:55   #58
BHPian

I think old gen Dezire (Diesel) makes good all-rounder. Forget the look, it is most practical car to own. It is Maruti (cheap to maintain, can be serviced anywhere), it is a sedan, It has decent boot space. It is not known to scrap road bumps and it is cheap.

Quote:
My vote goes for a pre-owned Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance:
Like others said, where are you going to find one? I am not able to find one in Pune. Let me know if you can find one for <10L.
Old 29th March 2012, 15:32   #59
Senior - BHPian

In my view the best all-rounder car for India would be something like the Ford Ecosport if it comes with their super advanced 999cc engine. Perfect for city, SUVish stance, looks, economy, in short everything we need, provided they dont price it as the new Fiesta.
Old 29th March 2012, 18:01   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Fast, Luxurious, Not Too Big But Comfortable Sedan. I have both a hatch and a sedan, so know the utility of a full-size boot (my guitar has to fit in, along with a couple of suitcases). And a sedan is enough for my family, even with my parents along. For long trips I don't like the idea of more than 4 adults/car anyway.

Sedans today come with a lot of things that you'd never imagine: auto tranny is one of them, sorely missed for the most part in both the hatch and MUV/SUV segments. FE is not really an issue- both my cars though petrol burners give me 12 in the city and 15+ on highways. A compact diesel-powered sweet-handling AT sedan would be my perfect all-rounder car: say the Vento TDI with a slushbox tossed in!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks