Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2012, 17:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions

Good comparo between the old and the new, jinojohnt !!!

One thing I guess you missed was the logos/stickers at the rear. While for older Altos it was the silvery-plastic logos for "Alto LXi" etc, for the current crop, it is just a sticker. Looks real odd.

P.S.: BTW, don't you also have an A-Star_AT which incidentally is the new Alto worldwide ? So you have 3 Altos at home.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 29th June 2012 at 17:38.
Old 29th June 2012, 17:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
One thing I guess you missed was the logos/stickers at the rear. While for older Altos it was the silvery-plastic logos for "Alto LXi" etc, for the current crop, it is just a sticker. Looks real odd.
Not any more. The stickers were again replaced by the earlier plasto-chrome badges in the newer Altos a few months back. Not sure if this was due to customer feedback. The standard non-AC variant still carries "Maruti Suzuki" and "Alto" stickers though.
Old 29th June 2012, 19:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think Maruti has re-introduced the old silvery-plastic logos, dad's new Alto does not have the sticker type logo. May be Maruti did this because the sticker type logos shout 'cost cutting' even to the common man.
Quote:
BTW, don't you also have an A-Star_AT which incidentally is the new Alto worldwide ? So you have 3 Altos at home.
Next car would definitely not be a Maruti - Sick of seeing Maruti's all around (look-wise and quality-wise)

Last edited by jinojohnt : 29th June 2012 at 19:08.
Old 30th June 2012, 00:04   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

The stickers were shunted out and chrome badges are back, at least in the lxi. A friend of mine bought the car two months back and I did ask him if he got them installed. The answer was "what is that" kinda look. So it must have come from the factory. Afterall, maruti logos cost very less.
Old 30th June 2012, 00:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Nice findings Jino.
In my 2000 Vxi there are more cubbyholes to keep tidbits one accumulates in a journey and sad that the current Alto misses that completely.
I found the ashtray a safe and sure way to keep toll tickets and the 2din opening on the center a good niche for the mobile phone which are sorely missed in the current avatar.
Old 30th June 2012, 01:01   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't really say if its saving anything for Maruti, but just another difference I noticed between the Old and New models.

Old -- New
Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions-oldnew.jpg
Old 30th June 2012, 18:14   #52
BHPian

Keen observation and nice thread jinojohnt. Though I have driven both the models but I always failed to notice it. Probably because I do not own one, I did find the newer one lot more responsive engine wise though they have the same specs. But then could be as it was new vehicle and the older ones I have driven were not that well maintained.
Old 1st July 2012, 13:12   #53
BHPian

From the pic, it seems that the third passenger seat belt in the rear seat is also gone! Cutting cost on plastic, cladding, beedings etc is one thing but basic passenger safety... a big NO!

Another example a rather disturbing one...me and my friends were descending the hills of Kodai... i was driving my dad's Xing and my friend was driving a Swift behind me.We both have a fair good experience in descending in gear and on preserving the brakes. Both cars are close to 5yrs old and are cared for dearly. However the Swifts brake faded out mid way! Luckily he felt a drop in braking and quickly pulled over and let the brakes cool off.The santro had no issues with the brake at all(Santro's have exceptionally good confidence inspiring brakes). I believe the cost cutting is also prevalent in the case of engine components and such vital parts as brake pads. How can we detect these? we can't! I prefer Hyundai to Maruti for these reasons.
Old 1st July 2012, 21:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundmenon View Post
Both cars are close to 5yrs old and are cared for dearly. However the Swifts brake faded out mid way! Luckily he felt a drop in braking and quickly pulled over and let the brakes cool off.The santro had no issues with the brake at all(Santro's have exceptionally good confidence inspiring brakes).
Brake fade in swifts?
not a reported problem on this forum. weak brakes: yes, (esp on the new models).

brake fade: no.
Old 1st July 2012, 23:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Brake fade in swifts?
not a reported problem on this forum. weak brakes: yes, (esp on the new models).
Well..it happened! it is a 40~50Km downhill stretch and there were 5 persons in the car. Given the nice roads, we were driving a bit sprightly too.The brake pedal felt soft and the wheels were hot as hell. Also there was the distinctive burning smell (which we noticed in almost all cars which passed by us!). brakes felt better after cooling off in the cold air.Guess it was a one-off incident, but had me concerned. Ideally i think it would be better if we stopped for a short while during descending such hills to minimize impact on brakes.
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:59   #56
BHPian

This is a great thread to prove how manufacturers take us for a ride once the product does good in the market. Sometimes even compromising on basic features and also safety.

The missing left door lock shocked me. I don't know how many times I have entered my car from the left side because some other car was parked too close to my right door.

In the era when you have to pull on your socks with competitors like Hyundai trying best to keep up, this kind of product will lead Maruti is surely digging its own grave.
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:18   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundmenon View Post
From the pic, it seems that the third passenger seat belt in the rear seat is also gone! Cutting cost on plastic, cladding, beedings etc is one thing but basic passenger safety... a big NO!
Guess adding a 3rd seat belt in the rear would be illegal in Alto, as it's a only a certified 4 seater.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:14   #58
BHPian

If anyone as seen the new Swift with its rear bumpers removed, you will know the real meaning of cost cutting. The horizontal metal bar that should be there to take the impact has been replaced by a block of Styrofoam. Heights of cost cutting and that too for a premium hatch!!!
Old 2nd July 2012, 16:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

I will not blame MUL for the fading brake incidence. Car brakes are not meant for prolonged hard use. In case they were designed for that you would be paying through your nose for frequent brake pad changes (as is the case with Mercedes and BMW, where the brakes last one third the distance of Japanese cars) Mind you the F1 brakes last just one race and they cost as much as a small hatch.

Barring racing cars and rally specification brakes, hard braking for 40km+ especially on down hill stretch will stretch any car's brakes. One of first rules of going down hill is not to use the brakes exclusively and for long durations, but rely more on engine braking. Many are not aware of the basic down hill driving technique - use the same gear for coming down as for going up.

In case you are depending only only the brakes, you are going to face brake fade sooner rather than later.
Old 2nd July 2012, 16:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I will not blame MUL for the fading brake incidence. Car brakes are not meant for prolonged hard use. In case they were designed for that you would be paying through your nose for frequent brake pad changes (as is the case with Mercedes and BMW, where the brakes last one third the distance of Japanese cars) Mind you the F1 brakes last just one race and they cost as much as a small hatch.

Barring racing cars and rally specification brakes, hard braking for 40km+ especially on down hill stretch will stretch any car's brakes. One of first rules of going down hill is not to use the brakes exclusively and for long durations, but rely more on engine braking. Many are not aware of the basic down hill driving technique - use the same gear for coming down as for going up.

In case you are depending only only the brakes, you are going to face brake fade sooner rather than later.
Hi @Aroy, I believe you are ignoring few facts here.

One the other car, managed the same distance without the problem (brake fad).

Secondly, Swifts, especially the newer lot have poor brakes problem on lower versions (as quoted by many fellow BHPinas who have driven in the Ghats), but, things weren't very good in the earlier versions.

Regarding F1 cars have worn out brakes at the end of race, what do you think should be the life of brakes on cars that run double ton for over three hours with numerous turns. Heck their wet weather shoes do not last more than 15 laps & in some cases a slick tyre may not last even 10 on a hot day on the track.

Regarding your suggestion about the copybook approach of downhill driving in same gear as uphill, I agree this is acceptable for a newbie driver (Thank You for sharing), but those experienced ones like the daily travelers (Roadways Drivers, Newspaper & Milk Vendors) drive in the top gear when downhill. Believe seeing them do this frightening . However, this way they manage comparable fuel efficiency as that of driving on the plains. Yes they use the engine braking a lot but, also fry the drum/ disks of their vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks