Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2012, 08:04   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: *Rumour* : Maruti 800 production to end in April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am sad to see that all the pics (if I have missed one please point it out) are of the Mk.II. Where are the pics of Mk.I?

Please oblige!!
Sir. Here are the pics of a Mk.I Maruti 800 that I got to drive recently. It is 1 1984 model that has covered 121,000 km till the day in which I drove it. It is still going strong with absolutely negligible maintenance costs. It was such a big fun piloting this tiny little car around. I swear that modern day small cars are nothing compared to this.

*Rumour* : Maruti 800 production to end in April 2012-maruti-800-1.jpg
*Rumour* : Maruti 800 production to end in April 2012-maruti-800-9.jpg
*Rumour* : Maruti 800 production to end in April 2012-maruti-800-10.jpg
*Rumour* : Maruti 800 production to end in April 2012-maruti-800-11.jpg
*Rumour* : Maruti 800 production to end in April 2012-maruti-800-12.jpg

Just like most others in the forum, I too learnt driving in a Maruti 800 (a 2001 model) and I can never forget that forever.

My only humble request to Maruti would be to allow the '800' nameplate to rest in peace and not tarnish its image like it did for Zen with the Estilo. If it has to be replaced, bring in a model that has the same attributes and characteristics. Please do not bring in half-hearted attempts just for the sake of it.
arvi86 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 08:53   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
My only humble request to Maruti would be to allow the '800' nameplate to rest in peace and not tarnish its image like it did for Zen with the Estilo. If it has to be replaced, bring in a model that has the same attributes and characteristics. Please do not bring in half-hearted attempts just for the sake of it.
Absolutely. If you cant really take it to the next level, let it be as it is. They could have done wonders with this car but they didn't. Imagine a 1.1 or 1.2 Ltr 800 with some 90odd HorsePower and some really sophisticated interiors, good power steering, ABS and stuff. Kaash.
Old 22nd April 2012, 10:56   #93
BANNED

I for one did not learn to drive on a M800.I learnt to drive in 1969 when Maruti was but a dream in the eyes on Indira Gandhi / Sanjay Gandhi.
Old 22nd April 2012, 11:45   #94
BHPian

Even I learned to drive with a Maruti 800 as in the late 90's most of the driving schools had Maruti 800 as the learner's vehicle. I was very much impressed with the car when I was at school. Everyone of my friends wanted to own a Maruti 800. Such a good car.
Old 24th April 2012, 17:44   #95
BHPian

Such was the quality of the humble M800's there were many who bought it as an upgrade over the Padmini. Which was bigger had a boot and a bigger engine.

But the space in the Padmini was rather nut much different from the SB308's. These cars had brilliant packaging.

When our uncle upgraded to the M800 from the Padmini the first drive brought out some observations.

The year was 1987 June the car was a KBVXXX it was a SB308 .

Steering Lock was at first annoying.

First drive in the M800 and we could first observe the huge glass area. Which made us feel as we were overexposed.

The next shock we got was when it rained(Peak Monsoon). The noise was shockingly similiar to that of rain falling on a tin Sheet. It was Ear Percing. Padmini had better noise insulation. Atleast ours did for sure.

The next was the exhaust note. It was absent almost. Padmini made a wonderful engaging note. Especially if well tuned. Though on the highway the M800 was rather comfortable since there was no noise altogether. And the car could do triple digit speeds easily. The padmini did too but there was too much drama to reach there.
I was just 5 then I was a huge fan of the Blower Control Knobs. And the lighting of the instrument cluster.

When we went to our native in the M800 We could load it up just like the Padmini if not more because the seat folded flat. As Kids we were squeezed in between the luggage somewhere. But we enjoyed the drive.

BTW my favorite still continues to be the Padmini that I learn driving in. But the little M800 would always remain in our hearts.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 24th April 2012 at 17:45.
Old 24th April 2012, 17:47   #96
BHPian

The 800 is one of the first cars i drove and I remember being in awe of it. It is truly a landmark in the automotive landscape of our country and a major contributor to putting India on wheels. Am sure we all remember when having a Maruti was an aspiration of the middle class...
Old 24th April 2012, 19:29   #97
Senior - BHPian

What was originally meant as a cheap city car meant to potter around Japanese n other developed cities, the 800 was'nt meant to take the abuse of Indian personal transportation: horrible roads, overloading, poor fuel, prolonged abuse over decades from 1st hand to another dozen owners etc...

But both India and the 800 learnt to live and survive with each other.

Hail the little legend!!
Old 25th April 2012, 00:17   #98
BHPian

R.I.P.

I learned to drive in a beat up 800 that belonged to a small driving school. It was the first ever car I drove. I then purchased one second hand a few days before I got my licence.

It was a very difficult decision to make while selling my 1999 M800. I had to give it away while purchasing a new Alto K10 only because I did not have space to park two cars. Bought it used in 2009 (when it was 9+ years old) to learn driving. It had already taken a lot of abuse but had been repaired and tinkered well. It never ever broke down, not once. It was such a pleasure to drive. The only grouse was the AC which could not handle the Madras heat. I had purchased it with the intention of keeping it for one year maximum, but it was so good that I ended up owning it for nearly three!

The only time it ever stalled in traffic was hours before it was sold to Maruti True Value. It simply shut off at a traffic signal that had just turned green, and refused to start for a few seconds. It was a very emotional moment :(

*Rumour* : Maruti 800 production to end in April 2012-dsc00205.jpg

Farewell to a legend.

I salute.
Old 25th April 2012, 13:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

Me too learnt on a battered M800 in a driving school. Those were the days. My friend who had an Esteem and then an Ikon sold the Ikon and brought the M800 in 2008 and also got a Chevy Beat recently. We still have the M800 with us and every one in the group who knows to drive eagerly wants to get behind the steering on all the weekend trips that we go for. It has been banged, dented, driven on roads, bad roads, village roads, no roads, actually everywhere. There hasnt been a single time that it has ever refused to start or got stuck somewhere. My friend had even taken 7 people onboard the M800 till Lonavala and back and no issues, such is the build.

Most recent long trip was from Mumbai to Tarkarli and Back in Jan 2012 with 3 people and baggage. The car ran super smoothly and we could maintain a good speed at times touching even 130. Ask my friend whether he would want to sell it and his answer would be. "Beat bech dega magar fronti kabhi nahi bechega"

Adios M800.
Old 25th April 2012, 14:29   #100
BHPian

Thank you GTO for raising a toast to this iconic piece of machinery. My obeisance to the M800 - a gamechanger of sorts that put India squarely on the world automotive map.

Like the Professor, I have a slightly unusual story as well. Although I never actually learnt to drive on an M800 (incidentally that credit actually goes to its younger sibling, the Maruti 1000) or actually owned one at any point in time, I did take my driver's license road test on one that belonged to the examining inspector himself. For some reason, the inspector decided to pick his own car that day for conducting the exam. And I have to say that particular vehicle was an alarmingly marginal car that created a ruckus even when cajoled and shook like crazy. The clutch was virtually non-existent and the floor-shifting felt like a 60-pound bench press! A couple of my fellow examinees stalled the poor thing repeatedly and sure as hell, flunked the test. One poor guy also managed to get a decent rap on the back of his head from the furious inspector who genuinely believed cars couldn't come any better! I was lucky enough to scrape through though. Anyway in a sense, the Maruti 800 gave me my license to drive.

It would go on to become my first baby step toward becoming a passionate car lover.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 25th April 2012 at 14:36.
Old 25th April 2012, 14:37   #101
BHPian

The 800 has been a vehicle most learners have cut their driving teeth on especially in the last 20 years or so. License to drive and rattly but faithful motor school Maruti 800's will be an endearing memory to a lot of us.
Old 25th April 2012, 14:41   #102
BANNED

Many guru's say that the Mk.I was much crisper to drive than Mk.II.

Also, I think the best M800 was the 12-valve 5-speed version before they again emasculated the car, in trying to differentiate it from the Alto. This is also about the time that the Alto VX became history.
Old 25th April 2012, 16:44   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Many guru's say that the Mk.I was much crisper to drive than Mk.II.

Also, I think the best M800 was the 12-valve 5-speed version before they again emasculated the car, in trying to differentiate it from the Alto. This is also about the time that the Alto VX became history.
My dad owned a MK II (89 model) while the original MK I was owned by my mum. I can confidently say that the MK I was much smoother compared to the subsequent model. The engine felt very refined even after numerous years and kms being added. (I don't claim to be a guru, this is just my personal experience)
Old 26th April 2012, 01:12   #104
Senior - BHPian

She came in California Gold - our family's first four wheeler. A Maruti 800 5 speed non AC. When my father first thought of buying a car I managed to persuade him to go for the 5 speed instead of the regular 4 speed. I still remember the Auto India referring to this as a "boy racer" car. And boy was it?

A sweet power delivery especially at low rpms made it a pleasure to drive. I had the pleasure of putting around 80k of the 90k she did before we sold her. It saw me through the first 5 years of my work life and the initial days of my engagement. My wife used to roll her eyes every time I took her(my wife ) out in the car and blipped the throttle to hear the free flow exhaust I had on the car since 50k. Did I miss out the first team-bhp meets, a trip to the Boothamketu dam rally with MalluDude to view Jerish's rallying experience. My first 8 hour drive, my first interstate drive - she saw me through them all. My first engine mods of an AutoMech freeflow and a K&N filter.

Here she is - 2000 Maruti 800 EX 5 - Speed -SOLD!! - shibujp's Garage - Team-BHP

I still miss the panache and theatre of my free flow 5 spd 800. A simple, uncomplicated piece of motoring metal.

Adieu M800 - you will always own a place in my heart. And thanks Maruti for putting us on wheels with the M800.

My dream M800 special edition - A 5 speed M800 with the K10 engine in the Alto K10!!

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 26th April 2012 at 01:19.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 02:37   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
She came in California Gold - our family's first four wheeler. A Maruti 800 5 speed non AC.
Never knew the 5 speed came in non-AC model. I thought 5 speed was the top end of the product line. Did they came with power brakes?

- Jose
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks