Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:54   #31
BHPian

Re: April 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

so the ambassador is more popular than the civic. It is a mad world. (and yes I know they are in different segments yada yada!). But seriously!!

I do like the Verna but what gives? Are they stocking up? It does not make any sense they seem to outselling competitors 2 to1.

It is a pity Honda seems to be falling behind they have wonderful products and their decline is sad. Hope they wake up soon.
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:55   #32
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment. Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out vehicles (Prius, 370Z) as they have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
April 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg  

April 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg  

April 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg  

April 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:56   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Sorry for nitpicking GTO, but Ertiga is spelt as Eritga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
BTW, please check the MoM% from Hyundai Eon onwards as they seem incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
I would like to point out a few errors in the report.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
MODS: The MoM% calculation from Hyundai onwards is incorrect. Kindly check at your end and make necessary changes.
Thanks for reporting the errors, and apologies for the same. All have been corrected.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:58   #34
BHPian

It's painful to see Optra numbers. GM should either put it out of its misery by discontinuing it or revive it by assuring us that it will be produced and supported for a long time. I know a few people who would buy it on the spot if GM could assure continued support.
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:36   #35
BHPian

^^Heard from Chennai TVS Sundaram Motors that Optra's production has been stopped when I enquired about the same. I heard this last week.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:16   #36
BHPian

Thanks for the good work again GTO.

Ertiga might be one big factor why the C2 sedans like the Vento, Sunny and the City took a beating. Potential 7 seater and the Maruti reliability badge, what else would the average vehicle owner want who generally don't differentiate much between LUVs, MUVs, SUVs or sedans. During the Fiesta launch I had heard someone commenting, "The Innova has more space". Well yes of course and nobody should blame them for that line of thinking.

Speaking of the Fiesta, the new one only sold 227? Extremely sad figures. With rising costs and the depreciating rupee don't think Ford has the flexibility to bring the prices down on account of the low localization levels. Same goes for the Vento. Also the 1.6L engine on the Vento pushes it into a higher price category automatically after the new budget.

Last but not the least as predicted HM's flagship Ambassador down to 69 is what was expected after the special high court extended transport department begged deadline for allowing BSIII cars in Kolkata to the taxi segment expired on 30th April, 12. Hence the result. HM still doesnt have a BSIV engine at the price point the cab owners can buy to replace their 15 year old taxis and most probably they never will. So I would be surprised if sales improve after this month. The only sales of the Ambassador will be of the 1.8L Isuzu BSIV engines for which there are not many takers. A grand real estate venture coming up at Uttarpara (HM plant) soon I guess.
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:31   #37
PCS
BHPian

Corolla altis outsells everyone in that segment and by huge margin ?

Any reason?

Looks like people are happy with 1.4l diesel engine. I always wondered that compared to other cars in that seg corolla altis is a nice decent luxury car !!!

What say GTO???
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:36   #38
BHPian

Wheres Thar ? I dont see anywhere mentioned about Thar sales..
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

Pajero Sport just 125. It has sabotaged the sale of non other than Classic Pajero which is now down to 40. What were they thinking while pricing it above Fortuner. But no use saying it again, nothing new.

The T Fortuner is undisputed king of D2 SUVs at 1270.
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:24   #40
BHPian

Thanks to GTO and Jalsa777. Wonderful report and analysis as always.

- Honda seem to be losing their way again. A factory fit LPG/CNG can help tide over till they have a diesel mill for City/Brio?
- Love the domination XUV is showing D1. Any manufacturer's dream!
- B2+ segments showing so much of growth - Cant say India is a poor country anymore.
- Would love to see the ones who is buying those Ambys!
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:39   #41
BANNED

Thanks GTO, for the much awaited report. As I mentioned earlier, for me, every month ends with the waiting for my salary, and the next month starts with the waiting for this report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
5,400 copies of the Ertiga have been shipped out in April, and this number could only go higher considering the VFM pricing of Maruti’s new 7 seater.
Just out of curiosity: GTO, you had mentioned earlier that Ertiga is not worth of spending that much amount over Swift. Are you seeing Ertiga as a VFM car now?
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

What is happening with the Aria? 63 units? Even the Ambassador sold more!

Fiat sold exactly 1000 units under the umbrella of TATA. After setting up it's own network, it would be interesting to compare with these numbers.

Xylo's facelift did not give it any brownie points. Ertiga is going to be the king of that segment!

At 6500 units a month, no wonder Toyota does not consider upgrading the Innova!
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:47   #43
BHPian

A great informative review GTO. Thank you. I think Tata should look at making something similar to Swift to gain some market share.
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:56   #44
BHPian

* Cant believe that the Estilo (693) and A-Star (926) COMBINED are doing less than Maruti 800 (1705), which is virtually being phased out. Why does Maruti still want to persist with the Estilo?

* Hurrah for the Jazz! I'm really pleased that this spacious beauty has entered the 4-digit figures. So, there are now 1,300 new owners who share my passion for Jazz.

* Whoa, i20 (7562) nearly displaced its smaller sibling, i10 (7872). Sales of i10 are steadily dropping each month. Clearly, offers and benefits are not luring customers to the i10. Unless, i10 brings in that diesel engine really fast, it will slide further down the ladder.

* Has HM-Mitsubishi turned into an NGO or some charitable association? Surely, a company cannot think of business (except, of course, reassess its joint venture) with a COMBINED 266 sales for seven cars.

* It's really sad to find Spark doing only 810 sales. Truly a capable car which should have had better sales.

* Whatever 4-wheeler that Mahindra has produced in April has been sold in excess of three-digits. Even the Verito has had "veritable" sales. Great going for the Indian auto giant.

* Still cannot figure why the aged Omni still outsells its bigger sibling, Eeco (a modern and more spacious carrier).

* Surprised why the Tata Venture sells only 525 cars. It is far better looking and more premium than the Omni or the Eeco and moreover, it has a DIESEL engine.

Last edited by misquitas : 3rd May 2012 at 21:22.
misquitas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:16   #45
BHPian

VW seems to be going the Honda way. When the Vento was launched, it exposed the City's weaknesses. Honda was forced to cut prices and update the feature list of its best seller. Now VW is faced with the same problem. It's overall quality is no doubt better than the competition but it isn't exactly a luxury car maker it's trying so hard to be. The new Touareg's expected price is +50lakhs!! The huge premium they charge isn't justified for what is on offer.

Ford got their game right with the Figo but got it all wrong with the new Fiesta which is baffling. Is understanding a market mindset so difficult? Chevrolet and Ford need to freshen their line up with more value-for-money products.

Fiat has given itself a chance to get things right. More diesel engine options, ensuring spare part availability, proper after sales and a wider range of cars backed with proper marketing. With Fiat, it always seems like everybody is doing his own thing. What they need is a conscious, concentrated, coordinated effort to get things done and do it fast. Panda and India-specific models please.

Hyundai surprises me. Their products are just about average but they know exactly what the customer is looking for which shows in i20 and Verna sales. Time i10 gets a diesel heart. Sonata and Santa Fe segments are not Hyundai's strengths and the company doesn't expect them to sell in large numbers either. We've got to appreciate the company's commitment to the Indian market though - it has got the latest range of cars in its line-up. This is a huge challenge for Fiat. With the history it has here, the customer needs to know that the company will be here when they wake up next morning.

Maruti!! What to say about them? One hit after the other. 800. Alto. Turn around of Wagon-R and Baleno. Swift. Dzire. And now Eritga! The list just never seems to end. All automobile company in India should have mandatory case study of Maruti.

The numbers of Nissan Sunny doesn't reflect its potential. It is a perfect car for our country. Lots of space, Diesel engine, fuel efficient, acceptable after sales.

Renault, to me, looks very over priced. What is Mitsubishi upto? A case impossible to understand.
Concorde is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks