Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:34   #16
BHPian

Re: 2012 Audi A4 Facelift Launched @ 27.3 - 38.0 Lakhs (ex-MH)

The upgrades look substantial, style- wise. Regarding the engine/ gearbox, I share the common exasperation over the lack of any substantial improvement.

Regarding the 2.0TFSI being shown the door, I think that the 1.8TSI is fairly common among VAG cars in India, so limiting the engine choice might have logistical advantages. Now it remains to be seen if the Q5 would also follow suit and ditch it in favor of a 1.8TSI?

On the 2.0TDI and the CVT, is it that Audi had to hurry with the face- lift unveiling to beat the new 3 Series launch? Then maybe we shall see the upgrades somewhere down the year?
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Audi launched the face-lifted Audi A4 earlier today.
You are doing such a good job at TBhp parrys, I wonder why you are not a Mod yet?

Fantastically beautiful car. Luxury adds persona. But somehow I feel Superb still licks it as a total VFM package. Gosh, 10 lacs extra for the led's and mmi's just doesn't make sense to me with nearly the same engine and a poorer gearbox. The rear seats hardly have any space. But then the rings say it all...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:54   #18
Team-BHP Support

Good clean lines. Much better than what I expected from the facelift. And I really liked the flowing LEDs. Much better than the now-common dotted ones. Overall an extremely pleasant job on the styling front!

The pricing for the 1.8 Petrol and 2.0 TDI looks decent, but the 2.0 TDI with 140bhp and CVT looks to be a real downer. I mean, take out some frills and the lure of the Audi brand, the Jetta highline sounds like a better option (with the same engine and a much better DSG AT).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Is the Audi Extended Warranty + Audi Service Plan comparable to the maintenance packages offered by BMW?
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:31   #20
BHPian

is it me or the new a4 seems jacked up? in the side profile pic it looks very jacked up i feel. whats is the GC according to audi? anyone knows?

Thanks.
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:37   #21
Team-BHP Support

Now.. it will be nearly impossible to distinguish the face-lifted A4 from the new A6.

The lights are phenomenal, and I personally prefer the way this A4 looks over the previous one. It was always a stunning car to begin with. CVT may be a disappointment, but how many customers are going to care? As long as it does the job for them, I suppose they'd be happy. The Multitronic 'box in the A4 does have a sport-function that allows you to swap cogs via toggles. It may not be fast like the S-Tronic unit, but it should be adequate for the measly 140 horses it churns out anyway. Sad.

I guess it's only us enthusiasts and the informed who will be concerned about the fact that Audi hasn't plonked the S-Tronic 'box in their cars.

I wonder why, considering that the lesser VAG cars get it.
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:48   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

Fantastically beautiful car. Luxury adds persona. But somehow I feel Superb still licks it as a total VFM package. Gosh, 10 lacs extra for the led's and mmi's just doesn't make sense to me with nearly the same engine and a poorer gearbox. The rear seats hardly have any space. But then the rings say it all...
The Superb is probably the most VFM car in the market today, no doubt. But to say 10 lacs extra only for the LEDs and MMI is not justified. Have you spent time in the A4? Driving or being driven? Sure some switchgear is the same, but the overall interior quality and the feeling of solidness is a notch higher than the Skodas. Its all part of the feel good factor. If our main purpose was going from point a to point b, then you would probably have a Manza instead of a Superb.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The Superb is probably the most VFM car in the market today, no doubt. But to say 10 lacs extra only for the LEDs and MMI is not justified. Have you spent time in the A4? Driving or being driven? Sure some switchgear is the same, but the overall interior quality and the feeling of solidness is a notch higher than the Skodas. Its all part of the feel good factor. If our main purpose was going from point a to point b, then you would probably have a Manza instead of a Superb.
spot on, i agree with you, i have a skoda laura & i know the engines & few switches etc are shared BUT audi & skoda are totally different cars, just because they share same engines and few interior bits doesn't mean a skoda is an audi.Thats my 2 cents, nothing personal..

P.S- The r8 shares few switches/parts with the lambo so that means the lambo is an audi??

Last edited by Berj79 : 3rd May 2012 at 21:02.
Berj79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Absolutely.

Never really understood these Skoda - VW - Audi comparisons based on price-tags. The VAG make cars for different people with different agendas. A person looking to buy an Audi will probably never care about the Superb's better 'box or the acres of leg-room.

Instead, he'd look at a BMW 3-Series or a Mercedes C-Class as his alternatives.

It is true. The badge carries a lot of weight. But along with the badge, you get much more. It's all about priorities.

An Audi A4 is generally not a chauffeur-driven car, while the Superb is the king of chauffeur-driven cars.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd May 2012 at 21:06.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:05   #25
BHPian

Yay! I can still flaunt my Jetta to be as powerful as the A4*

*conditions apply. Only the 2.0 tdi one.

But on a serious note, I remember reading somewhere that the 2.0 was going to be tuned to 170 bhp in line with the passat. So for this ommission, could engine life be a factor or fuel economy? Both seem very unlikely for a car in this price range!
lamboguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:29   #26
BHPian

I feel Audi has drawn a fine line between A4 and Q3.They have dropped the 2.0 TFSI and 2.0 TDI (177) motor for A4 but both will be used in the Q3.I think Audi is planning to position the Q3 at a slight premium than the A4.So for them the A4 will be the entry level model just like X1 is for BMW.
What do you think?
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:30   #27
BHPian

Neat - the first word that came to my mind with this A4. The headlamps look much better than the previous design and honestly, the string of pearls was beginning to get long in the tooth. Sure to bring A4 back in contention for buyers of this segment. BMW - bring on the 3!!
Old 4th May 2012, 09:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nice facelift! I prefer the new DRL, the homogeneous LED light strip over the old one.

The drivetrain specification looks weak on paper at least. Let's see if this overall package is going to be enough to fight the F30.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:41   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
(Vehicle on display was the 2012 Audi A4 S-line variant)
Assume that the features mentioned are for the S-line trim (especially the alloys looked specific to the S-line). Do you have the complete equipment list of the lesser variants – 1.8 petrol and 2.0 TDI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Absolutely.

Never really understood these Skoda - VW - Audi comparisons based on price-tags. The VAG make cars for different people with different agendas. A person looking to buy an Audi will probably never care about the Superb's better 'box or the acres of leg-room.

Instead, he'd look at a BMW 3-Series or a Mercedes C-Class as his alternatives.

It is true. The badge carries a lot of weight. But along with the badge, you get much more. It's all about priorities.
Agree with your comments. But that’s some kind of a trouble which VAG have created for them. It’s a very thin line which separates the brands in their stable. The other German biggies (Merc & BMW) do not have this problem, but Audi consistently gets drawn into comparison with its poorer cousins. Styling wise (exterior and classy interiors) the A4 definitely looks like the right step, but the engine & gearbox choices is what that bringing in these discussions.

If I am in the market for a Merc, I will surely look at the 3 or A4 as an alternative. But if I am someone who was considering A4 2.0 TDI as the first choice, may actually think of the VW Passat - mainly because you get A6 sized car with better powered engine, DSG, and almost all the comfort features on offer (only if I can get over the prestige related to the brand).

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th May 2012 at 09:57. Reason: additional quote included
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 09:43   #30
BHPian

Am I glad that I didn't wait for this car. I was hoping against hope that Audi did not launch the 177 bhp motor in this car otherwise I would have regretted my 320d purchase. I checked out the earlier A4 and was impressed with the quality, the looks were much cooler than the 320d but what put me off was FWD, 143 bhp and the CVT. Audi has retained all three in the new car. One word - Baffling.

The looks of the earlier were very very good and the new car is even better. No doubt about it. But as stated earlier, the above 3 were the deal killers
elantracrdi05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks