Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 15:48   #46
BHPian

Re: SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!

I saw this car on my recent visit to UK. It looks far better in real than it seems in the photographs. The first time I saw it from the rear I thought it was a revised A class. Its only once you do a second take you realize that its bigger and something different.

It has a presence and will surely make you look at it again. I have always had a soft spot for the A class (the original tall boy). Personally, I always felt that nobody did the tall boy design justice like MB did.
Old 15th May 2012, 17:35   #47
BHPian

To me, the B-Class is a classic case of desperation by the manufacturer. A while back when BMW overtook MB in the numbers game, the management went on to say that pure numbers are not important and it was looking more at profitability.

And lo and behold, we have a volume car introduced (with more in the pipeline) even as Audi too overtakes MB. This is competition at its best, but this is not one where we would see prices coming down anytime.

20 lakh is a psychological price barrier and no luxury brand worth its name would step below it. We can keep hoping though

If anything, the B Class could do more damage to MB's image in India. Premium hatchbacks are still a strict no (Jazz anyone?), premium MPVs are unheard of in India - SUVs and sedans still occupy that position - we will always pay for them. The X1 is no taller than an SX4, but BMW managed to sell it as an SUV. I don't see how anything on those lines can be done with the B-Class.
Aragorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 17:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

^^
Its not about premium , its all about value to money proportion . We all love value ! i20 too was a premium hatchback when it entered the scene . But it had all the bells and whistles ! Jazz made no sense at all . I think if Mercedes plan well , market the product well , it (B- Class) can succeed to a level .
Old 18th May 2012, 10:27   #49
BHPian

One of My Friend recently test drove the Evoque and was terribly disppointed with its space and roominess. It Probably compares to a X1 to that extent.

But when we compare it to the B -Class the B Class is Longer than the Evoque. Buts its the debate between a SUV and a Tourer
But what really defines an SUV:

1. Seating Posture
2. Ground Clerance
3. Off Roadability ( But No 4WD option on BMW X1 still it qualifies as an SUV)
4. Stance of the Vehicle

So B -Class comes close to an SUV on many aspects but just based on the stance its a MPV or a Sports Tourer as they call it in Europe.
Old 18th May 2012, 11:41   #50
BHPian

Have heard that Mercedes will launch an AMG version of the A class internationally sometime in 2013. I feel that Mercedes will do better by launching that in India, rather than the B-class. Yes the B-class is an 'MUV' while the A Class is a hatchback. But just think about it, won't a hot hatch beat a mundane MUV ( keeping the aspirational value of the brand in mind)?

This is just wishful thinking but according to me, even if the AMG version of the A Class isn't possible, Mercedes should try to launch the A class with powerful engine options as not only will this result in more volumes, but IMHO won't damage the aspirational value of the brand, as much as launching the B class here.

That said, even Volkswagen should think about bringing the Golf GTI here
Old 18th May 2012, 17:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

If you even bother to read the entire thread have on page 1 and 2 confirmed about the A-Class AMG Model,

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
Have heard that Mercedes will launch an AMG version of the A class internationally sometime in 2013. I feel that Mercedes will do better by launching that in India,
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 17:44   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
If you even bother to read the entire thread have on page 1 and 2 confirmed about the A-Class AMG Model,

Regards,
Really sorry about that
Is there any chance of the A class coming with the manual transmission?
Old 18th May 2012, 20:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Due to change of CKD duties for cars with engines / transmission assembled locally, the car will only come with 7G.

I suppose at a later date if volumes exist they may consider but there are NO plans at all until 2015. They already had the C-Class in Manual, but the demand was so low it had to be axed.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
Really sorry about that
Is there any chance of the A class coming with the manual transmission?
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:02   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yeti length - 4223mm
Ertiga length - 4265mm
B class length - 4379mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSOPS View Post
Attachment 926062

I got the dimentions from each of brochures and realized this is bigger on width too and Height too. So its Longer and Wider than a given SUV and MUV
I wonder why it's not compared to Innova? At least the sideways silhouette will be similar. It's smaller in length & height to Innova but slightly wider. So a more planted stance.

Innova dimension from Toyota Bharat website
Overall Length 4585 mm
Overall Width 1760 mm
Overall Height 1760 mm

B Class dimension from the image posted by 'PSOPS' in quote above.
Overall Length 4359 mm
Overall Width 1786 mm
Overall Height 1557 mm
Old 15th June 2012, 12:35   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes will launch B-Class in India by end of this year (2012)

Quote:
The B-Class will come to India as CBU (Completely Built Unit), but will be later assembled in India from 2013. This car will initially be offered only in petrol engine and the diesel will follow in few months

Mercedes will launch B-Class in India by end of this year | Latest Autos & Car News | OnCars.in
Old 15th June 2012, 15:23   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Do check my post on 8th May, on the first page, have already confirmed all of this. As far as I know in few days all dealers will order their cars too.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mercedes will launch B-Class in India by end of this year (2012)

Mercedes will launch B-Class in India by end of this year | Latest Autos & Car News | OnCars.in
Old 26th June 2012, 19:30   #57
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Same car spied by Autocar.

Mercedes B-Class spy pics | News | Autocar India

SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-auto.jpg
Old 12th July 2012, 01:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

B class pics i got from a friend on FB.

These pics were clicked in Goa i think.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-img_00000008.jpg  

SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-img_00000009.jpg  

SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-img_00000011.jpg  

h@r$h@l is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 23:56   #59
PPS
Senior - BHPian

B class launch later this month.

Mercedes To Launch B-Class On 19th July 2012 | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
Old 13th July 2012, 16:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Finally, my going to be First car is here. I have been longing for this for a long time and waiting for atleast a year or two, since when the three pointed Germans, announced their new FWA and RWA (front wheel drive architechture and rear wheel drive architechture) for their future generation cars and that they will bring in the B and A class into India. I accept the fact that in Europe/Germany, the B is known as "Oma/Opa Auto" - Grandma/Grandpa car, because, most of the B customers are retired gentlemen or women(of course with lot of money!). The 7G is quite stunning to drive, from my personal driving experience, in Germany, I can assure that MB's quality will put the rest of the manufacturers to shame. Although, any day I would prefer the 6speed manual.
The AMG version is not the AMG tuned, rather, its just the AMG sport kit with a more powerful petrol engine, which of course in our country is more a bane than boon. The fuel efficiency of my test drive A Klasse AMG Sport was around 18 kmpl - in the German Autobahn, sedately driven(cruise) at 120 and within city, it returned a 12-15 depends on how heavy the traffic is. Also depends is if u either use the "Eco" mode(start-stop function),it helps the fuel economy greatly, provided there is a consistent traffic flow and not a hapazard one like ours. I am not sure, if it could manage the same efficiency in India too, that too with a Auto box and a stop and go traffic like ours.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 13th July 2012 at 16:35. Reason: grammer
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks