Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2012, 19:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

If one has been visiting Mumbai everyday, keep the entry toll paid receipt and show it that you have come on the day. They will not be able to collect octroi. The Rs50 bakshish should work if the receipt is within a week or so. One can convince.

Well if you do not have anything, it would be difficult. Use your car with Mumbai registration till the heat is over.
Old 19th May 2012, 22:46   #17
naj
BHPian

Re: Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
I think this is to bust all the people who bought cars with fake thane/panvel addresses to avoid octrio?

Hi!!

+1 . There are quite a few car owners who reside in Mumbai and have registered their vehicles in octroi free areas.
In fact there are a lot of folks from kalyan, Ulhasnagar areas too who are registering vehicles in MH04 areas with fake addresses.

This move is probably to track such violators and make them pay skipped octroi.

Such a drive was launched in Pune too a couple of years back especially to target out station students who bring their vehicles from their home town/city . The RTO wanted them to re-register the vehicles in Pune and this required payment of octroi. But as usual that drive lost steam fast.

Cheers !!
Old 20th May 2012, 15:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!!

+1 . There are quite a few car owners who reside in Mumbai and have registered their vehicles in octroi free areas.
In fact there are a lot of folks from kalyan, Ulhasnagar areas too who are registering vehicles in MH04 areas with fake addresses.

Cheers !!
Yes thats what i feel, there are many cars registered with mho4 with fake addresses, when i visited a car showroom to buy a car i was offered fake thane residence to avoid octrio, a lot of car dealers do this so i guess this drive will end that. People with genuine addresses shouldn't worry as they aren't the target..
Old 21st May 2012, 10:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!!

Such a drive was launched in Pune too a couple of years back especially to target out station students who bring their vehicles from their home town/city . The RTO wanted them to re-register the vehicles in Pune and this required payment of octroi. But as usual that drive lost steam fast.

Cheers !!
Octroi is another issue.
But re-registration of vehicles due to state change is the biggest idiocity.

The funny thing I realized about our government and public sector organizations is that the customer is forced to do all the work that should have been taken care by the organization.

In RTO case - there should be a simple application with required documents submitted at the RTO.
Inter RTO transactions are Inter-State govt's problem and should be taken care internally.
Old 21st May 2012, 17:01   #20
BHPian

Instead of going after Maharashtra registered vehicles and harass people who may genuinely have an address outside octroi limits, they should go after out-of-state vehicles which have not paid the higher registration charges and the octroi. Rarely do you see a high end vehicle with MH plates. They are mostly DL, CH. MP etc.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 18:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Instead of going after Maharashtra registered vehicles and harass people who may genuinely have an address outside octroi limits, they should go after out-of-state vehicles which have not paid the higher registration charges and the octroi. Rarely do you see a high end vehicle with MH plates. They are mostly DL, CH. MP etc.
They won't trouble the people who have genuine address outside octrio limits, this is more for catching people who used fake address to avoid octrio, they(BMC) should be more upfront about the scam but i guess they are embarrassed to show what the RTO do for under table money?

Last edited by Berj79 : 21st May 2012 at 18:33.
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:53   #22
BHPian

any mh04 owners got harassed my bmc?
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

I had purchased my old Vtec in 2010. Its an MH04, I got it transfered to the Andheri RTO as i reside at Goregaon. I had to pay the Octroi of 4.5% of the value of the car while getting it registered in MH02 Zone.

Regd RTO Asking Housing Complexes to keep a check, its true. My dad is part of our Housing Society Committee and he did inform that they had received a circular to inform about all the MH04 vehicles parked in the society.

My question is, how is the car value derived and who does that. Is there any index that is used to get the car value?
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I had purchased my old Vtec in 2010. Its an MH04, I got it transfered to the Andheri RTO as i reside at Goregaon. I had to pay the Octroi of 4.5% of the value of the car while getting it registered in MH02 Zone.
after getting it registered at the andheri rto, did the car number change to mho2? thats not possible as thats considered as another registration if i m right..
Old 23rd May 2012, 23:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
after getting it registered at the andheri rto, did the car number change to mho2? thats not possible as thats considered as another registration if i m right..
Hello Berj79,

No the Registration Number of the Car will not change. It will remain the same, i.e. MH04.

Hello All,

I stay in western surburbs & couple of years back we got a similar notice from BMC asking the society to inform them about all the Cars of the Society that are registered outside Mumbai.

But subsequently we did not sent any reply to them & they never inquired again. Go by that I feel this time also BMC has just served this notice & nothing more will happen.

Thanks,
Old 24th May 2012, 01:09   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Berj79,

No the Registration Number of the Car will not change. It will remain the same, i.e. MH04.
Thats what i thought, so basically even a mh04 registration can have octrio paid, i think this is to crack down people with fake addresses, let see how this drive goes but there is no way to implement it, if one has a genuine address outside of bombay city then how can they prove it if the car is parked here or there, they need to focus on the fake addresses that people have used to avoid octrio, people with genuine addresses shouldn't be harassed.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats what i thought, so basically even a mh04 registration can have octrio paid, i think this is to crack down people with fake addresses, let see how this drive goes but there is no way to implement it,
Hello,

Yes there is no way to implement it. People can always prove by one means or other that they have a office or godown or factory in Octroi free region & that is why Car is Registered there.

People who actually fake the address are very few. Most of the people in Mumbai with MH04 Registered Cars have some business / official entity existing in Thane & that is why they get their Cars registered there. So catching then legally will not be possible

Thanks,
Old 24th May 2012, 11:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am about to have one more MH04 registered at the Andheri RTO. Shall keep you updated on what happens. Shall take a couple of weeks to get this done.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 19:07   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I am about to have one more MH04 registered at the Andheri RTO. Shall keep you updated on what happens. Shall take a couple of weeks to get this done.
Any updates Desmosedici? I may be in a similar situation in a while so would like to know how you fared.

Rgds
Old 6th August 2012, 20:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmishh View Post
Any updates Desmosedici? I may be in a similar situation in a while so would like to know how you fared.

Rgds
Hi, I am yet to get it registered in Andheri. I was waiting for the previous owner to get the Bank NOC and will now start the process in maybe 10 days. In between i had spoekn to one of my known RTO agents and he mentioned that the Transfer plus Octroi of a MH04 vehicle to Andheri can be done easily and cheaper as well (i guess by greasing some palms at the Octroi Center).

Shall let you know as and when i apply.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks