Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 21:15   #46
BHPian

Re: Sun Films banned - other options for sun control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
You could use clear film thats used for front windshield. This is assuming you want film for cooling and not for privacy.

But if you install a clear film like 3M CR70 for the sides and back, then how will the cops know?
I believe the CR70 has the 3M markings on it which the 3M car care guy said can be removed to a good extent with petrol, but cant be taken off completely. So even if you have that installed, it will show up if you do get rounded up by cops. I wanted to get it done on my Safari since removing the tints would mean literally cooking inside the big cabin with the useless A/C of the safari. But after considering the fact that it may get caught easily, I'm waiting to see if there are any other options before I put another 15-17k on the films.

BTW, the Vkool VK70 cost just blew me off today. I called them to ask how much would it take for the side and rear window for the Safari and the lady modestly answered - 34k!

In the end I may end up buying 4 white pieces of thin cloth and use that as curtains by rolling the window over it's edges. I know that it's going to be ugliest jugaad possible, but it will work wonderfully for sure on long trips and when parking the car under the hot sun.
Old 6th June 2012, 21:35   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
Future solutions:

2) Factory fitted tinted glasses.

4) Fully Transparent Film 95% light pass through (of the kind used for the front windscreen) Expensive and NOT Legal but would be very very hard to make out from outside.

Most cars including even the humble maruti 800 come with a basic level of tint on the windows. I had an MpFi 800 around12 odd years ago, which was bought brand new and I remember it had a very light greenish tint in its windows.

With respect to fully transparent film, the only worry is that the ruling clearly says any sort of films and material on one side and then seemingly contradicts itself saying all manner of black tints somewhere else. The ambiguity is deeply irritating. As of this moment it may not be the smartest thing to do to invest more money and effort on any kind of films.
Better to let the great, erudite, learned and good people of our esteemed SC come back from their holidays and see what happens next. If there is indeed a repeal or relaxation of the order based on some appeal, then we may have some hope. But these appeals, such as they are, can always be Quashed by the court!
What I would like to see are the politicians, MP's, MLA's, Party Apparatchiks, Judiciary, Bureaucrats and others removing their films from their cars. Considering that under the constitution of India, every Citizen of the country supposedly has equal rights under the law!
If all of us on the forum are able to keep an eye open and if we see government vehicles or any other with films, maybe we can photograph them and put up the pics in the hope of creating a public outcry on this subject.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 08:52   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Technically it isn't illegal.
If it were illegal none of the auto-rickshaws, door-less Tempo Trax, etc wouldn't have made it past the RTO. Unless the manufacturer adheres to all the rules of CMRV it isn't possible to register the vehicle. The above mentioned vehicles have opaque roll-down curtains which are used during rains, and come as standard equipment and not as an accessory.
Just imagine the kind of visibility you will get with curtains around you. You won't be able to use RVM, ORVM(on both sides) and putting yourself at risk. I don't think we can drive with only front view.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 11:40   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Just imagine the kind of visibility you will get with curtains around you. You won't be able to use RVM, ORVM(on both sides) and putting yourself at risk. I don't think we can drive with only front view.
Commercial vehicles/ buses have no view through IRVMs when loaded. Aren't they being driven around? In developed countries you get SUVs with options like Privacy glass, wherein the rear glass and rear windows come with really dark glass. How do they drive those vehicles? For driving safely all that you need is 50% visibility in front windows for ORVMs, and 70% visibility in windshield. Thats the reason why BMWs and MERCs pass the RTO inspite of having curtains for the rear cabin. Killing the privacy of passengers is not the intention of CMVR, but the ignorant press and officials are mis-interpreting the rules.

Last edited by Daewood : 7th June 2012 at 11:41.
Old 7th June 2012, 12:08   #50
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

I'd like to hear what our legal experts have to say about autorickshaws running around during the monsoon season with zero visibility curtains on both sides. Most rick drivers can't see anything on both sides of their vehicle, let alone anyone being able to see inside.

Slighty O.T: I have had a few autos scrape my cars during the monsoons, so I try to keep steer clear of autos as much as possibly can whenever it starts to rain, even while parking.
Old 7th June 2012, 17:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
I believe the CR70 has the 3M markings on it which the 3M car care guy said can be removed to a good extent with petrol, but cant be taken off completely.
Why petrol? Just cut out the part of the film that has the 3M label or better yet when they cut to size from a large sheet, just leave out the area with 3M markings. What about Lumar and Garware?

2ndly, I don't think cops will bother to stop anyone you your glass looks perfectly clear with no tint.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 17:48   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why petrol? Just cut out the part of the film that has the 3M label or better yet when they cut to size from a large sheet, just leave out the area with 3M markings. What about Lumar and Garware?

2ndly, I don't think cops will bother to stop anyone you your glass looks perfectly clear with no tint.
The 3M markings are at several places in the film around 1 feet away from each other. Cannot be left out or cut out.

However they are extremely easy to remove with Colin and a clean cloth without scratching the film.
Old 7th June 2012, 19:03   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I'm hoping it will be that way. I really want to have protection from the heat since I have a 8000km trip coming up next month passing through some of the hottest parts of the country.

, but does anyone know of any mods that could boost the A/C performance in a Safari? I really think it's pretty useless in peak summers. I'm going to raise a complaint during my next service and have them check, but I've done that before and burnt my hands since the Tata ASC messed it up more than what it was earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The 3M markings are at several places in the film around 1 feet away from each other. Cannot be left out or cut out.

However they are extremely easy to remove with Colin and a clean cloth without scratching the film.
How confident are you about the complete removal? I dont want to put in money and then find out that the glass shows up those markings only to be caught someday and stripped off my hard earned money again. I have another month or so before I head out, so I can definitely wait on this and see whether there is any change to this law enforcement.
Old 7th June 2012, 19:14   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol

How confident are you about the complete removal? I dont want to put in money and then find out that the glass shows up those markings only to be caught someday and stripped off my hard earned money again. I have another month or so before I head out, so I can definitely wait on this and see whether there is any change to this law enforcement.
3M will remove it with alchemical in minutes
Old 7th June 2012, 19:21   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Instead of trying it yourself just walk into the 3M store and ask them to do it. They are gladly removing the logos.

Ajmat recently got them removed from his CR70 and he said they removed it in no time with no marks.
Old 7th June 2012, 19:24   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
3M will remove it with alchemical in minutes
Thanks, that sounds reassuring . At 15.5k the CR70 is a lot better deal for the side and rear windows than the 34k for VK70. This isn't the best use of that much money, but I guess it will be worth it in the long run. Just realized that I could buy an A/C for my bedroom in that much money
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 19:56   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, that sounds reassuring . At 15.5k the CR70 is a lot better deal for the side and rear windows than the 34k for VK70. This isn't the best use of that much money, but I guess it will be worth it in the long run. Just realized that I could buy an A/C for my bedroom in that much money
Removing the logo is a breeze. Cleaning with any automotive glass cleaner should suffice. The logos on my film disappeared after cleaning with Sonax Clear Glass Foam.

Having said that, please also consider this scenario before plonking that much on films. On the highway, you get pulled over for a routine document check. You lower the window. The cop has fought with his wife that morning and he is already having a bad day. He sees a line along the edge of the glass and runs his finger along the line and goes "Ah. So you have Sun Control Film? That is illegal. I am going to rip it off"

All you can do is stand there is shocked silence and watch your hard earned money going down the drain. I would recommend waiting it out for a few more weeks, before going that route. Let the SC come back from vacation and lets us also see how strict the enforcement is.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 20:30   #58
BHPian

Yes there are alternatives like curtains, roller blinds etc but they aren't legal.
The SC has banned any sought of material from being put on the windows.

Best thing would be to sit back and wait for an appeal to be filled against this verdict and then hopefully the SC would reenact the original provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act. Which allow for 70% visibility for the front and rear windscreen and 50% visibility for the side windows.
Old 7th June 2012, 20:34   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Best thing would be to sit back and wait for an appeal to be filled against this verdict and then hopefully the SC would reenact the original provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act. Which allow for 70% visibility for the front and rear windscreen and 50% visibility for the side windows.
That seems to be the most viable end to this drama. I am expecting permissions to install light films combined with a VLT certificate, in similar lines to the PUC. But in the meantime, traffic police are going to have a field day ripping of films, challaning and polluting the environment indiscrimnately. If they just stick to the darker varieties, then no harm done, except the pollution bit.

Hope springs eternal

Rajan
Old 7th June 2012, 20:44   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
That seems to be the most viable end to this drama. I am expecting permissions to install light films combined with a VLT certificate, in similar lines to the PUC. But in the meantime, traffic police are going to have a field day ripping of films, challaning and polluting the environment indiscrimnately. If they just stick to the darker varieties, then no harm done, except the pollution bit.

Hope springs eternal

Rajan

Bangalore cops may be lenient allowing 70% VLT today, but tomorrow you may be driving by AP or TN or MH and the cops will surely enjoy ripping the sunfilm off.

It looks like Blore cops are saving some cars for Dusshera/Diwali bribe season when they go all out on the road to be able to afford the sweets and crackers for their loved ones ...

--R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks