Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 20:23   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sun Films banned - other options for sun control

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Sunfilms are banned due to lack of visibility inside the car. So, curtains means it will be 0% visibility and hence i think it will be illegal.

Do we really have a alternate for sun films which is legal? Is it possible to get tinted glass(for existing customers) from the manufacturer its self?
Curtains were fitted on cars such as Ambys,Padminis,in early 80's. Those years we had these curtains fixed on our Amby Mark4.The guy who used to fix them were punching hole to fix that fish shaped end corners of the curtain rods. There was lot of thinking in our home on what fabric to be used,,then it was final to use LACE fabric for the rear glass ONLY.
Curtains fixed on all four glasses of the doors had a big issue, it was non but the fixing screws of the curtain rods ,they used to hurt the occupants when they were sitting very close to the windows.

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 30th October 2012 at 20:26.
Old 30th October 2012, 21:08   #137
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Hi all

According to the law any material that does not allow visibility is illeagal. This means that if I put a 0% sunfilm just for heat protection it should not be illeagal.... is my understanding correct or am I interpreting it the wrong way
Any material pasted(or placed on) on to the glass is illegal.the law says that here the visibility is not the issue but the fact that it is pasted(placed) on the glass is the issue.At the same time the law also says that glasses tinted during manufacture within permitted limits is ok.

That means film even if 100% transparent is banned but glasses manufactured with tint is ok.

They say LAW IS BLIND... You have seen a excellent example of its blindness here.
srinivaspai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 23:00   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivaspai View Post
Any material pasted(or placed on) on to the glass is illegal.the law says that here the visibility is not the issue but the fact that it is pasted(placed) on the glass is the issue.At the same time the law also says that glasses tinted during manufacture within permitted limits is ok.

That means film even if 100% transparent is banned but glasses manufactured with tint is ok.
This is the reason given on why Sun film with permissible limit is banned
Quote:
" A device called luxometer can measure the level of opaqueness in windows owing to the application of black films but this device is a scarce resource and is very scantily available with the police personnel in India "
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:04   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I think anyone who is used to sunfilm better get used to wearing shades now. If you are planning on a long road trip, keep this in mind.
I think it is more pronounced if you climbing up the sea-level. The sun is pretty harsh. And the reflections from your Car (the dashboard) can be controlled by wearing shades.

Due to slides, there was too much dust and dust combining with sun was a killer. Luckily, the shades soothed my nerves & I could see better with them.

In the tunnel? Flip it up Bollywood style

But shades do help and one should wear if he/she is comfortable wearing it. It soothes your eyes.
Old 12th November 2012, 23:29   #140
BHPian

I find this 'out of the blue' order and the over enthusiastic enforcement curious, its very unlike the general functioning of our country, especially given the far more urgent life and death issues that need judiciary and law enforcement attention immediately.

In this kind of anomaly there is usually someone to gain, pulling the strings behind the scenes. Are influential people with interests in tinted glasses for auto manufacturers behind this?

What is the history of the individual who filed the original PIL, and why was the order passed with so much alacrity without basics like consulting experts? And other stakeholders including RTO, the auto industry, film manufacturers and users.

How is it logical to have tinted glasses with 70% and not film? This doesn't come together.

The judiciary can't make law, only interpret it. The RTO has clear guidelines on this, there is a law in place that clearly allows film of a certain VLT and specifies it in detail, and yet all that has been overruled with an interpretation that basically makes a new law.

In my experience it takes a much longer time to get even simple orders passed here let alone complex issues; things like employment of the folks working in these industries, consumers who have invested in legally available film, and so many other factors have simply been ignored which is unusual. In this case nothing, wham! Film manufacturers are still in business, why? Shouldn't manufacturing and selling film be illegal too? This whole thing doesn't make sense.

Last edited by raul : 12th November 2012 at 23:54.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 00:32   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I find this 'out of the blue' order and the over enthusiastic enforcement curious, its very unlike the general functioning of our country, especially given the far more urgent life and death issues that need judiciary and law enforcement attention immediately.
You almost posted what I was thinking about this ruling.

Also, I wanted to recall that SC has also ruled to implement HSRP (High security Registration Plates) multiple times and warned the states in multiple instances. Still, its not implemented.

I see this whole sunfilm drama as a collective consipiracy from Govt., Judiciary and the auto industry.
Old 13th November 2012, 08:27   #142
Senior - BHPian

I am still not clear if putting on suction cup based sun screens, roll on sun shades, curtains or newspapers against windows is illegal or not. None of these solutions are permanently attached to the windows, can be easily reversed when stopped during checking, and doesnt involve changing the visibility of windows as such.
Old 13th November 2012, 10:57   #143
BHPian

It's been a while since the ban was issued on sun films on vehicles. In Bangalore, there was drive by Traffic cops to stop each and every vehicle and fine or remove the sun films on the spot. But, due to Flaw I had stated earlier in my posts (refer the links provided below) with respect to the same Supreme Court ORDER, I am still using the sun films and roam around Bangalore City during peak traffic every day. I have been made to stop by the cops couple of times, and I always quote my view and to my luck most of them didn't fine me (touch wood).

I might just be lucky enough to walk free. Doesn't imply its an alternative.

You can get health/Skin disease certificate from doc's where few ppl's skin might be allergic to sun, like I have got the certificate from Doc and attested signature of ACP Traffic and keep it in car all the time.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2805294

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2801625
Old 14th November 2012, 22:48   #144
BHPian

Just a few days back there was a posse of policemen on LBS marg at Mulund (Mumbai) who were stopping all vehicles with even a hint of a tinted glass. I too was asked to pull over and I thought I would be in for a lengthy argument and a possible long wait to remove my (very lightly tinted) film. And lo and behold one of the havaldars had a look at the corner of the glass and noticed the IS number /marking and waved me off. I do not know if the IS number was for the film or for the glass but it was a big relief anyway. The cops seem to have different interpretations and are confused so I do not know if I will escape the next encounter. As far as I can make out, the court is only interpreting the law which says that nothing can be stuck to the glass. In that case can't the public / film manufacturers / auto associations / dealers get together and pressurise the legislators to amend the act so that "sticking" a foreign item on the glass is legal? It is illogical, to say the least, to have tinted glass as "legal" and a glass with a film with equal visibility as "illegal" in the context of the PIL /judgement. My view is that the auto community should petition the politicians to make necessary changes to the law. Some legal eagles need to clarify this.
Old 15th November 2012, 15:24   #145
BHPian

Re: Sun Films banned - other options for sun control

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
While browsing the net for some solution, I stumbled across this company who has a novel product (among other rage of products) which to me, looked a feasible & elegant solution.

Its called auto Window curtain. Have a look at their website -
http://www.amritrasindia.com/window_curtain/
Checked with the Chennai dealer and he says its no longer available with them. Any one had installed the same or something similar to this.?
Old 15th November 2012, 15:29   #146
Senior - BHPian

There are news (I remember reading somewhere) that Sachin Tendulkar has approached the Mumbai Police Department for tints to be allowed on his cars for sake of his safety/ security & privacy.

Hopefully, there could be amendments in the law for certain people.
Old 25th November 2012, 18:19   #147
Senior - BHPian

Did the SC err on the sun film verdict? Some good comments here http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle3519140.ece
Old 19th December 2012, 14:44   #148
Senior - BHPian

I was one of those who originally thought this was a ridiculous directive by the Hon SC - although I complied with it immediately.
But having been completely shocked and distressed by the horrific nightmare in Delhi (and having read today that the police are being pulled up for their lethargy in not implementing this) I have come around to the view that if this helps in any way in reducing/stopping such monstrous crimes, it is our duty to whole-heartedly support this order. Apparently that bus had heavy tints and curtains.
A little discomfort is worth it even if this helps in preventing one single such crime.
Old 19th December 2012, 15:30   #149
BHPian

Two months ago I was pulled over by a traffic cop (near my home in Pune), he politely explained that- tint's should let more than 50% light inside. He asked me to lower the driver-side glass and placed the meter like a stapler over the glass and the meter read "80". Paid a fine of Rs 200/- Next day went to the car decor, he ripped off the earlier film and replaced with Garware which looked dark but he said was "RTO-approved hai sir" (Paid him Rs 800/- for complete job). As it's a Green Figo the film seems darker and very next day was stopped at the same point by the same cop but this time his meter read "50".

Another incident in Hyderabad where a cop stopped me this time in Black Aria with very light film. He had to carefully examine if there is any film at all. He said "films are not allowed and will have to get them completely removed". I said that I am using films which are approved. He didn't understand what I told him, instead he heard "I have taken special approval" and he let me go..

Last edited by bijuiser : 19th December 2012 at 15:37.
bijuiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 15:35   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnab View Post
It is illogical, to say the least, to have tinted glass as "legal" and a glass with a film with equal visibility as "illegal" in the context of the PIL /judgement. My view is that the auto community should petition the politicians to make necessary changes to the law. Some legal eagles need to clarify this.
The reason cited by SC is there is shortage of light meters to test if your sun film is under permissible lights and hence the blanket ban on all foreign objects on the windows glass.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks