Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 19:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to dispose off a car with practically no resale value?

Whatever you do just make sure that the ownership is transferred to respective person i.e. it should not be in your name.

PS - Such cars are very useful for some mechanical students.

Last edited by bluevolt : 6th June 2012 at 19:44.
Old 6th June 2012, 20:09   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47
Searched, but couldn't find much on this topic, hence starting a new thread.

We have a 2001 Matiz in the family which gets used only for school pick-up (8 kms/day of total driving). With the young one insisting on school bus from this year, the usage would come down further. I'm wondering what to do with this car now:

I can try to keep using the car once a week and keep it running until it becomes too cumbersome/expensive. But, when the day comes, is there a procedure to "de-register" the car? After that, I presume I can sell it off as scrap. If I sell it as scrap, is it my responsibility to ensure that the car is unusable on the road?

Many Thanks,
Su-47
I guess you can convert it to cash - you will atleast get 50grand for it dont you think? You can always use that money for fuelling up the other vehicles that you own!
Old 6th June 2012, 20:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

We have a 2001 Omni which has run around 54k and is in a pristine condition. Many are willing to pay 1.25L for it (we never intend to sell it as I have great sentiments attached with it. It was the first vehicle in which I learnt driving). You can try selling your Matiz as it'll easily fetch you good amount depending on its condition.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 6th June 2012 at 20:38.
Old 6th June 2012, 20:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Try the following:
  • Dismantle the car and sell parts to dealers / on net - You will make good money
  • Approach DC And check if they need a Matiz. They have a Body Kit remodification for Matiz. Some one maybe interested in the lifestyle vehicle
  • Put it up on internet websites (including TBHP Classifieds)
  • Approach used car Dealers. Its worth paying commission on sale
  • If you plan to buy a new car, "exchange" the car under some scheme.
Old 6th June 2012, 20:51   #20
BHPian

You may ask a few Driving Schools if they want to buy it !!!
Old 6th June 2012, 21:08   #21
BHPian

Su-47: I am travelling on the same boat. I have a FIAT UNO 1.2 elx (petrol) Dec 1999 model bought last year from my friend. Main purpose of the car was for my sister who was pregnant and we didn't want to risk going to the hospital for regular checks on my bike or an auto rickshaw given the condition of roads at our place. I should say the car served the purpose reasonably but things have started going bad off-late with frequent breakdowns and it has reached to a point where I have stopped using it completely. As it is I have done less then 800 Kms within one year of ownership. Have tried to sell it but the price quoted by people was way beyond acceptance. First question people ask me when I say a UNO is, Is it a petrol or diesel and that is where I lose most of them since it's a petrol (many mechanics say the diesel version itself can be bought for 40 k). Others come up with an asking price of meager 25 k. I agree the UNO has terrible re-sale value but having spent a good amount on it's maintenance it pinches to sell it for such a paltry price and to people who do not know it's value ( read driving pleasure), instead I might donate it to an NGO as per GTO's suggestion.

Request the Gurus to pitch in with your suggestions.

Car is running on 4 new tyres, new battery, new brake booster. Only problem currently is coolant liquid oozes out whenever radiator fan switches on automatically. 3 different Service centers couldn't fix it.

Cheers,
Abhi
Old 6th June 2012, 21:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
why do you want to do this at all ? why dont think of preserving the car ? why cant you have it, it may fetch you a very good price after sometime as an antique! think over !
I second Nandan on this. A well maintained old car (not talking vintage or classic here, just an old car) becomes a pride and joy after some years, and becomes more of a talking point than most modern boxes.

I live in a housing society in Dwarka, which is massive and houses 200 plus vehicles. They include Audis and BMWs as well. But the vehicles that get the most eyeballs are:

(1) A first model Maruti 800 with an UAS number driven by an old Sardar, and (2) A Daewoo Nexia (remember the DOHC, wild child version of the sedate Cielo?) that is so impeccably maintained, I want to steal it!.

So keep the Matiz. After 10 years it'll cost peanuts to service, and car lovers will look at you with respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
It is occupying precious parking space, which someone else in the apt. can use.
Park it on the road, no one will steal an 11 year old car. And if someone does, you'd have found an ironical solution to your problem!
predatorwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 21:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I But, when the day comes, is there a procedure to “de-register” the car? After that, I presume I can sell it off as scrap. If I sell it as scrap, is it my responsibility to ensure that the car is unusable on the road?
There sure is a way to sort of de-register the car. The RTO would give exemption so that even the Road Tax need not be paid.
But if you sell it even at scrap value there is no guarantee that the car will not be used by the buyer with the car remaining in your name. The way is to enter into a deed with the scrap buyer in the desired lines.

In spite of these the fact remains that the sparingly used Matiz is a fine car to be even thought of for scrapping. Sell it to any genuine buyer, if all the papers of your car is in order and there isn't any tax dues, and see it off.

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th June 2012 at 21:52.
Old 6th June 2012, 22:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
becomes more of a talking point than most modern boxes.
This is the sole reason that i have still preserved my M800. It is 8 years old now. Proud to say that i have kept it like brand new. It has many fans in my clients and friends. I never liked taking any of my other cars more than my M800. My clients come to see me off just to see the car. Now that this car is not produced anymore, it has started getting that much more sympathy. It enjoys a great soft corner with me and others. It has done 1.47 lakh kms.

Su, Think over and try to keep it. You will never regret it later.

It runs on LPG, but

Last edited by nandans2005 : 6th June 2012 at 22:08.
Old 6th June 2012, 23:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

1. You could check with some Matiz owners clubs if any in our country where there would be genuine buyers for the car at the right price

2. Try to refurbish the car by tuning the engine, updating the interiors and maybe match up the looks to the present Spark to keep it contemporary and add a LPG kit to keep the running cost down. Voila you have an old new hatch in your garage which you can use for your regular runabouts.
Old 7th June 2012, 01:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

So happy to see another Matiz owner! I have a silver one, 99 model. It has run around 60K kms and I'm still using it (I have an i10 too). As of now I have no plans to sell my car and I'd suggest you the same. If you really want to sell that off, you can expect around 50,000 for your's. A family friend of mine sold his 2001 model Matiz last year for that price.
Old 7th June 2012, 01:41   #27
BHPian

Don't scrap it please. There are many college students and young professionals who are fresh out of college who would love to have a cheap car as a conveyance.
The reasons being:
i> Many have just learnt to drive and wants a car for practice(hath pakana) before they graduate to a new one.
ii> A 4 wheeler owner is always a gaddiwala in India, even though the car may cost less than a R15.That brings respect. :P
iii> Girlfriends feel more 'at ease'(you know what I mean) in a car than an open bike.

So,in a nutshell please don't scrap it. Put it up for sale at around 40-50k and you would probably have someone to take care of it.
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 11:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

We just sold our 2002 Matiz SG for 80K. Not exactly scrap value now, is it? Give it a try...
Old 7th June 2012, 11:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Searched, but couldn’t find much on this topic, hence starting a new thread.

We have a 2001 Matiz in the family which gets used only for school pick-up (8 kms/day of total driving). With the young one insisting on school bus from this year, the usage would come down further. I’m wondering what to do with this car now:

I can try to keep using the car once a week and keep it running until it becomes too cumbersome/expensive. But, when the day comes, is there a procedure to “de-register” the car? After that, I presume I can sell it off as scrap. If I sell it as scrap, is it my responsibility to ensure that the car is unusable on the road?

Many Thanks,
Su-47
Only in Bangalore can you realistically sell a car like Matiz (or maybe the whole south India). I tried selling one 2000 model which I had for a while (in Delhi). The prices quoted were as low as 20-25k. I sold the car to a scrap dealer@15k. Didn't want to take any hassles.

Somehow Bangalore folks seem to love this car. I thought of selling this car in Bangalore before shifting back to Delhi. But the amount of hassles/paperwork/time was prohibitive. I could have fetched <50k easily.
Old 7th June 2012, 11:19   #30
BHPian

What a coincidence! I opened this thread yesterday, and the little one came back with a deep nail-scratch on the neck and blood stains on the collar. His first school bus fight!

Some day he has to learn the skills to survive in the society, but, we are wondering if the right time is now or a couple of years later? Most parents would understand our dilemma, but for now we are acting brave and are continuing to send him by bus. But, will keep the car for now, just in case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
can you mention the condition and the odometer reading of the car. From what you have mentioned, it is in a good working condition and how did you conclude that it has no resale value?
Decent condition, 50-60k on the odo. The issue is no-one cares about the kms run or condition the moment they hear Matiz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Another idea is to use it/donate to engineering institutes (or even amateur innovators) who need a car shell/body for projects such as converting to electrical/solar car. Matiz will make a nice platform for such projects
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
PS - Such cars are very useful for some mechanical students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Could it be useful to training institutes for mechanics (such as Govt run Industrial Training Institutes etc) for their practical lessons?
A very good suggestion guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Park it on the road, no one will steal an 11 year old car. And if someone does, you'd have found an ironical solution to your problem!
Good one predator, but the worry would be theft of tyres or battery (which is a shiny new Amaron-FLO).
Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
2. Try to refurbish the car by tuning the engine, updating the interiors and maybe match up the looks to the present Spark to keep it contemporary and add a LPG kit to keep the running cost down.
Running is too low to justify an LPG kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
So happy to see another Matiz owner! I have a silver one, 99 model. It has run around 60K kms and I'm still using it (I have an i10 too). As of now I have no plans to sell my car and I'd suggest you the same.
Anand, Good to to see you as well! As of now, not planning to sell the car.

Finally, it's great to see so many diverse responses and good suggestions. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 7th June 2012 at 11:24.
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks