Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2006, 06:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

there was a post here on whethe the qualis should be brought back.

Sumo certainly is a better product considering the price at which it sells.
Old 19th April 2006, 10:18   #32
Team-BHP Support

X2 is completely new. They are using some hydro something tech by which this chasis will be very light and "stiff". Its the platform of Xover and Cliffrider.
Old 19th April 2006, 10:38   #33
BHPian

perhaps tata needs to make the sumo concentrate only on the people mover segment and launch an innova like mpv at a slightly higher price band because as i mentioned before the spacio is doing a fantastic job in the people mover segment in the semiurban/rural areas and 2 compete with the Mahindra XLs and Trax Cruisers, a people based on the 207 DI pickup is a must.
Old 20th April 2006, 20:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
there was a post here on whethe the qualis should be brought back.

Sumo certainly is a better product considering the price at which it sells.
Yes but for how long will it survive just on its price???
Old 21st April 2006, 06:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
Yes but for how long will it survive just on its price???
as long as a better VFM competitor doesnt pop its head.

In now way is it a good car And I would love to see it go as soon as a replacement is available.
Old 21st April 2006, 18:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hydroformed, fully boxed chassis rails. I'm sure they'll have both solid axle and IRS in the back.
Old 27th April 2006, 12:54   #37
BHPian

Does anybody have the sumo prototypes designed by DC about five years ago which were featured in overdrive mag 5 yrs ago?
Old 27th April 2006, 13:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
perhaps tata needs to make the sumo concentrate only on the people mover segment and launch an innova like mpv at a slightly higher price band because as i mentioned before the spacio is doing a fantastic job in the people mover segment in the semiurban/rural areas and 2 compete with the Mahindra XLs and Trax Cruisers, a people based on the 207 DI pickup is a must.
Thats what they tried to do with the VICTA GX Turbo and failed miserably. They tried to make it more luxurious and comfortable for the Indian Car users. Unfortunately they happened to sell me one.

I would still reiterate that only if Tatas could improve the Quality of their Spare Parts and their Service they could be unbeatable. In fact their service is poor only because of Poor quality Parts that makes the Customer visit their Workshops repeatedly putting undue pressure on the repairers. Thats where the Qualis has scored over the Sumos.

Even now, I am sure they would be relaunching the Sumo with some innovative improvements. The Sumo is going to be around for a long long time just like the old man's, Amby

So long....
Old 27th April 2006, 15:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
perhaps tata needs to make the sumo concentrate only on the people mover segment and launch an innova like mpv at a slightly higher price band because a i mentioned before the spacio is doing a fantastic job in the people mover segment in the semiurban/rural areas and 2 compete with the Mahindra XLs and Trax Cruisers, a people based on the 207 DI pickup is a must.
Tata sumo urgently needs a face lift and a power boost. May be tata's can differenciate the lower and upper end of the uv market with a variant, how about a 207 based suv? something like a raised /macho tata estate. That along with the 3 liter dicor engine to power it along. Also something needs to be done about the fit and finish of the sumo. The sumo has poor paint finish and wider panel gaps than ace or the 207 too. And they must take care of the sumo's tendancy to rust.

Ravi
Old 9th May 2006, 17:30   #40
BHPian

As far as I know TATA is going to replace it with the all new platform.

There are some prominent issues with the sumo that will be taken care of with that platform.

1. The reason Sumo is easy in traffic is the reason why it is unsafe at high speeds. It has a very short wheelbase. so a very big area remains behind the rear axle. Now when some one loads sumo, usually the boot?? if you can call it that gets filled with luggagae. Imagine 8/9 people, how much their baggages will be. When that load goes into the tail section. Wow you get a very tail happy Vehicle. Now maximum time the tail portion is filled to the gills with passengers and the luggage on the roof.

You just need a stray cow or dog on the road and a relatively new driver who just enjoys speed or wants to reach destination as fast as possible.

You swerve, brake and yes the sumo is out of your controll.

2. The build quality. Yes that is not too good, tata is holding its breath about the reall new SUMO.

3.It is going to get a common rail. If not for drivers sake then for BS IV regulations sake. While the present generation Sumo may be get a intercooler to soldier on till the new one comes.

I personally Want the SUMO to live long, and hope TATA is going to play its card right, to get another hit.

About Rihno. I seriously doubt its sucess. As far as I know it will be made by Sonalika who is a tractor manufacturer. They are going to release it in rural areas first, since they do not have any engine to meet Urban emmission requirements. And we all know Fotce motors does not sell as much as Sumo in urban areas as they are not considered as upmarket as Sumo. Looks like the same story is going to repeat with Rihno. However it may really give spacio run for its money in rural areas.

These are my personal thinking. And by the way I do own 3 taveras, though the FE keeps me happy, and it ts more reliable than Sumo. Considering all factors we require around 5 years to recover the price of a sumo, Tavera needs around 6 years, considering it will get a decent sale price, or it may take more time. So I would bet my money on Sumo, not Tavera.
Old 9th May 2006, 23:53   #41
BHPian

may god forgive me...at times i find the new Victa quiet appealing,even endearing,very honest...donno why..may be im drinking too much horlicks these days
Old 10th May 2006, 00:52   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

tata sumo is a vehicle that is doing bad to the reputation of tata,the vehicle is seriously low quality but does not look that bad,ive seen a month old sumos rattling like hell and engines sounding worse than a vehicle with 1lakh kms on odo.the handling of the vehicle is poor,and ride isn't as good either.so i think tata should devolop some new vehicle to replace sumo.
Old 10th May 2006, 11:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
tata sumo is a vehicle that is doing bad to the reputation of tata,the vehicle is seriously low quality but does not look that bad,ive seen a month old sumos rattling like hell and engines sounding worse than a vehicle with 1lakh kms on odo.the handling of the vehicle is poor,and ride isn't as good either.so i think tata should devolop some new vehicle to replace sumo.

But I can show you more Sumo's that have near or more that 1 lak km on odo and are as good as new, and also remember when it was launched it had been a benchmark. That speaks a lot. Yes I do agree it is not close enough to todays new breed of muv's but you also have to remember when it was launced. So it is good enough for a vehicle that was launched so long back, and this also indicates it is getting long it the tooth, and should be replaced.

So maybe we can give it the respect that is due to it.
Old 10th May 2006, 11:43   #44
BHPian

I dont know why, but when I am on a holiday, I am so attracted to the sumo that I borrow it from a friend there for a couple of days and drive around. It gives me that rugged feel which is something unlike my Qualis.
People will call me crazy, but driving a TS feels more machomind you for a change only!!!

Yes the SUMO needs a major major change of avataar, Mr. R.N.T. are you listening!!!

kudos!

az

Last edited by autozealot : 10th May 2006 at 11:46.
Old 10th May 2006, 17:08   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozealot
Yes the SUMO needs a major major change of avataar, Mr. R.N.T. are you listening!!!

kudos!

az
Mr. R.N.T.?!!! Rabindra Nath Tagore?! Why you need him in this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks