Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2006, 22:11   #46
Team-BHP Support

scrap it...

Should the Tata Sumo be put to rest?

yes, definitely! not only just put to rest peacefully but scrapped too and sprinkled with holy-water/ganga-jul to burn the beast within.

it is one horrible piece of engineering by TATA Motors which should never have gone into production. nothing but a powerful death-machine driven by equally dangerous drivers of cheap taxi-transport companies.

somebody even dared to compare it to the fabled Mercedes G-Wagon - wonder where he/she saw the resemblance.
Old 11th May 2006, 00:51   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Mr. R.N.T.?!!! Rabindra Nath Tagore?! Why you need him in this?
Hahaha its not Rabindra Nath Tagore .

Its Mr. Ratan N. Tata

az
Old 11th May 2006, 01:12   #48
Senior - BHPian

YES!! It should be shoved ASAP. With the kind of car u get to choose from these days, there is NO place for a box like this..
Old 11th May 2006, 07:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78
it is one horrible piece of engineering by TATA Motors which should never have gone into production. nothing but a powerful death-machine driven by equally dangerous drivers of cheap taxi-transport companies.

Whatever you might say, when this car was launched in 1995, there wasnt any competition for it other than the Armada. If you find the Sumo bad, then what about the Armada?
Old 11th May 2006, 08:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Whatever you might say, when this car was launched in 1995, there wasnt any competition for it other than the Armada. If you find the Sumo bad, then what about the Armada?
Yes, but the Armada has been put to rest, and its replacement, the Bolero doesnt sell much, and the XL is bought only by rural taxi operators. Exactly the same market which is targetted by the Spacio. I think Tata should continue with the basic variants, with maybe airconditioning added on, and discontinue the upper ones.
Old 11th May 2006, 09:25   #51
BHPian

Man the kind of enquiries that come into the showroom asking for INDICAB's and Spacio's and Spacio Gold's amaze me for T-Permit, and actually those people go for those vehicle's, wow...........
Old 11th May 2006, 23:37   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
i didn't like the Armada either, however, my reasoning here is that even in the hands of a relatively "good" driver, the TATA Sumo wasn't/isn't a good machine.
the transport companies liked the Sumo because it was a relatively spacious people mover which was cheap to maintain. TATA could have introduced a better engineered car but they chose to put this contraption forward.
Old 12th May 2006, 09:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

I'll tell you one thing:

The Sumo was launched when Tata was getting to terms with its 'revolution' kinda thing, what with the Indica in the making, safari just around the corner, etc.

If they were to make a brand new UV for the masses, tourist taxi operators etc now, it would certainly be of a much better quality and better driving dynamics than then.

The mistake Tata made was not rectifyign its mistakes with the original car and mar5ching on withou making any big mechanical and handling facelifts.
Old 12th May 2006, 10:21   #54
BHPian

Sumo Rules......ask me why!

i have been a proud owner of a tata sumo for the last 12-13 years.infact the sumo that i own now(SUMO EX+, bought two years ago) is really good too.

i first bought the sumo in 1994 about the time when sumo released i gues(please correct me if i am wrong).the vehicle was used for a range of puropses, lot of city driving, a whole lot of long journeys and trips, some off-road tracks.as a family we have tohroughly enjoyed the sumo and thats one reason why we decided to buy another sumo again.

we first purchased the sumo for a mere 3.75 lacs.ten years later we sold the car for 1.75 lacs, it had done about 1,45,000 kilometers without any engine job, except of course for timely replacements of the usual spares.

we decided to buy the sumo ex+ since at that time the victa had'nt released.it had so many extra features, a twin aircon, door ajar warnin, seatbelt warning, fuel immobiliser, central locking, a music system(courtesy manipal motors), good seat covers, the usual bumper carrier kit, really good bridgestone dueler tyres(no alloys-tried negotiation it for free, didnt work), lumbar suport seats, etc
we are happy with the car.i have done about 44,000 kms so far.yes there are a few disadvantages-no power windows,bad finishing touches, etc etc etc

i am happy that the car really does perform well on both the highway as well in bad conditions.we have travelled most of south india in the sumo-COMFORTABLY.the only major change so far is the condensor for the aircon(costed about Rs.4500 inclusive fitting charges)

in terms of sound i have made some mighty changes and thats one reason why i prefer to use my sumo instead of my corsa
i have put a pioneer wma/mp3 system with blaupnkt components in the front, a pair of JBL ovals at the back, two lightning audio door speakers for the centre doors, a 1000w sony xplod amp, a blaupunkt monobloc for a 1000w pioneer subwoofer.the car rocks.

my personal feedback after having used sumo for long years is that the company is constantly learning from its mistakes and trying to provide a better product each time.i personally found it value for money
Old 12th May 2006, 15:00   #55
BHPian

given a choice between Sumo Versa Qualis Bolero - I would still choose the Sumo and customise it. I just love its driving position and somehow when many have complained of its comfort i have found it most spacious and relaxing. well this is my personal view.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks