Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 21:39   #16
PPS
Senior - BHPian

re: Sachin Tendulkar : The BMW 3 Series' brand ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If Audi has Katrina then Bee Em could have also got someone from Bolly.
I don't remember Katrina featuring in any print ads or commercials for Audi but yes, she did unveil the Q3 & Q5. Btw, Audi India's facebook page keep posting pics of Bollywood celebs in their Audi's!
Regarding Sachin, we'll have to wait & watch whether he is only there for the unveiling or he also features in print ads & commercials for BMW.
Quote:
Silly BMW, they should have got a Ranbir Kapoor to work with them or Deepika Padukone or Nargis Fakhri or Farhan Akhtar or someone of that nature.
It would be nothing less than suicidal to rope in Nargis Fakhri or Farhan to promote BMW!
Old 25th July 2012, 21:49   #17
BHPian

I think the only person who is going to win here is Sachin, In my opinion it was not needed for BMW. This might even herald a trend where audi and others get their own brand ambassador.
twinblades is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 21:54   #18
BHPian

This was absolutely unnecessary. In fact, it may be detrimental to the brand image. I was contemplating picking up a X1 sometime next year, now I am not so sure.
Old 25th July 2012, 21:55   #19
BHPian

Sachin's penchant for Cars is well known and I feel that he would fit the profile for a Brand Ambassador for BMW.

The top honchos at BMW should be knowing something about business to make it the # 1 Luxury brand in India so I would love to trust their judgement

My only worry is that Sachin being a Brand Ambassador for BMW is not caught driving a Merc or an Audi the way Ronaldinho found out when appearing for a press conference with a Pepsi can when he was a brand ambassador for Coke
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 23:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am baffled! There is no need for a brand ambassador at all.

If its just for the sake of blowing the marketing budget, there are far superior methods which will fetch results.
  • Why not invest on fully paid track days for potential/ existing customers?
  • Or conduct something like Polo R Cup with a 320d?
  • Or invite people to enjoy DTM?
  • Or just send free merchandise to the existing customers to get people talking.
Oh God! 'Selling' BMW is easy.

Actually, coming to think of it, this may backfire. From what I see, BMW is seen as a brand for young successful people. It could be the buyer himself/ herself or their children (And don't ever underestimate their influence in a buying a car). And I doubt whether that group connects with Sachin today.

I have no affiliation for Cricket and am indifferent to Sachin. But I have always been a BMW fan and I feel quite distant after hearing this news.
Old 26th July 2012, 06:47   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS
It would be nothing less than suicidal to rope in Nargis Fakhri or Farhan to promote BMW!
Matter of opinion. I am as totally un bolly wood struck, as can be because I do NOT like or watch those films. Period.
However, if BMW wishes to connect with a smart audience who have the money to buy their cars, then it seemed to me that the Farhan Akhtars of the World and the anrgis Fakhris of the world make sense.

I mean if Abhishek Bacchhan can promote Omega then why not these guys for Beemer? I have been an Omega Man for ages as has my Dad. While we identify with other Brand Ambassadors, we do NOT identify with Abhishek. Sorry.

Illustrating here that all this is very subjective and a matter of opinion. No point trying to justify why. We will only end up disagreeing. Might as well agree to disagree right now and depart from this thread!
Old 26th July 2012, 09:09   #22
BHPian

Sachin as a sportperson is an icon and will remain the god for cricket lovers, however I feel that he is not successful as a brand ambassador for any product he endorsed in past (atleast I dont remember many successes). The Pepsi can an exception, but think the ads/taglines were more eye catching. The flops are lingering more in memories viz -

1) HomeTrade in 90s ( busted and millions were duped by this group)
2) Fiat (remember the S10 et al)
3) Some cheap fountain pens
4) MRF Tyres
5) Bandaid

IMHO dont see Sachin being Ambassador will have any positive or negative impact on existing/potential BMW buyers.
Old 26th July 2012, 09:21   #23
BHPian

(The below is my personal opinion)

I lost all respect for Tag Heuer when they got Shahrukh Khan to promote their watches. I felt it was a totally unwarranted move. It had a cool international aura to it and after i saw Khan's face on the ads it made me think - local & cheap desi product. The brand lost trust and image in my mind and hasnt regained it till now, I would never buy nor suggest a brand like this.

The same feeling is coming over me now, BMW & Sachin - yuck The same guy who is a brand ambassador for cheaper & mass market brands of colas, health drinks etc.

BMW is too big a brand and doesnt need crutches like Sachin to support them, they are selling on various strong factors already. I do wish they had more customer connect activites rather than waste money like this.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 10:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

I do not understand celebrity brand endorsements. For example who does not know BMW already, and if one is looking to buy one from the BMW/Audi/Merc stable would Sachin with BMW make him/her choose BMW. I don't think so, and there are many others like me, otherwise Fiat would not have been in such a sorry state.

Unless its a brand like Nissan, which is a new entrant in the market and may need the aura of these celebrities to create a wider reach and overall awareness.
Old 26th July 2012, 11:50   #25
BHPian

What will the tagline be?
"Joy is your team losing everytime you score a century
Joy is selling off a car like Ferrari to get a Nissan GTR
Joy is getting straight hair after joining Rajya sabha
Joy is being God of cricket
Joy is unfounded and thus from now on
Joy cannot be BMW anymore"

Hopefully he will just be handing over the keys and not appear on tv or print ads. Brand Sachin will overshadow BMW and that cannot be good news for them. Fans maybe inspired. Fans who cannot afford to buy any car and thefts of BMW may increase just to see how good it feels to drive a Sachin recommended BMW.

If at all, BMW can feature him in the 7 series or the M series ads. M series may gel well infact. Given the sporty backgrounds of both Sachin and Mseries.
Old 26th July 2012, 12:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Absolutely bang on!
And I don't like him either! He has lost his dignity in my eyes owing to greed and avarice. Silly BMW, they should have got a Ranbir Kapoor to work with them or Deepika Padukone or Nargis Fakhri or Farhan Akhtar or someone of that nature. Nice stylish good looking people. Sachin is an old dog and does not have the same appeal any more.
If Audi has Katrina then Bee Em could have also got someone from Bolly.
And I like Audi and I also like Katrina so I guess Im biased!

For what it is worth I will one day buy an Audi but NOT a Bee Em!
You say Ranbir Kapoor? Deepika Padukone?, Nargis Fakhri(god! that dead pan heroine in Rockstar??) and Farhan Akhtar!! wow, tasteful choice I must say buddy!

Brand ambassadors are needed for those brands that otherwise have no visibility (as mentioned by a member here) in a very competitive market. I personally hate this concept and never have I bought anything just because a particular product is endorsed by some xyz celebrity.
Old 26th July 2012, 13:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
The flops are lingering more in memories viz -

1) HomeTrade in 90s ( busted and millions were duped by this group)
2) Fiat (remember the S10 et al)
3) Some cheap fountain pens
4) MRF Tyres
5) Bandaid

IMHO dont see Sachin being Ambassador will have any positive or negative impact on existing/potential BMW buyers.

Wanted to add a few more to this :-
6) Birla Sun Life
7) Kaspersky
8) Boost

If BMW is not able to sell because of its badge then they should think about exiting India ! Sachin's most famous car associations have been Ferrari ( Fiat ) and then Nissan GTR .. so BMW would be dealing with brand association confusion first
Old 26th July 2012, 13:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc

Wanted to add a few more to this :-
6) Birla Sun Life
7) Kaspersky
8) Boost

If BMW is not able to sell because of its badge then they should think about exiting India ! Sachin's most famous car associations have been Ferrari ( Fiat ) and then Nissan GTR .. so BMW would be dealing with brand association confusion first
9)Toshiba
10) Aviva (something to do with education for all)

Ever since i attained puberty; i stopped believing in brand ambassadors. I personally like the Tag Heuer association with SRK. If one thinks of it, TAG didnt have mucb visibility till a few years ago. Yes the f1 time sponsors were TAG and a few more associations.

Frankly, other than english movie buffs; i doubt if anyone else would know Steve Mcqueen. Associating the brand with SRK in his glory years did a lot to improve its visibility. Yes maybe SRK is making flop after flop these days.

However, Longines and Aishwarya Rai not a great choice imo.

However BMW is a very very visible brand worldwide. One would have to be deaf, dumb and blind to not know about BMW. Any kid on the street; a kid in the slum will know what BMW and Merc are. Associating with a brand ambassador like Sachin; if not beneficial may actually end up being detrimental to BMW.
Old 26th July 2012, 14:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

I think its a waste of money! a brand like BMW does not need a ambassador and even if they do certainly not Tendulkar...
Old 26th July 2012, 19:17   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Frankly nor have I bought something on account of the celebrity. However, should Beemer think they need a crutch, there are better crutches than Sachin.
Thats what I was trying to illustrate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
You say Ranbir Kapoor? Deepika Padukone?, Nargis Fakhri(god! that dead pan heroine in Rockstar??) and Farhan Akhtar!! wow, tasteful choice I must say buddy!

Brand ambassadors are needed for those brands that otherwise have no visibility (as mentioned by a member here) in a very competitive market. I personally hate this concept and never have I bought anything just because a particular product is endorsed by some xyz celebrity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks